Topic: The Miners of the Stars  (Read 29711 times)

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: The Miners of the Stars
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 06:37:35 am »
mm.. I wonder over the what and how of the thing even more now...
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Chapter Four
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 09:13:32 pm »
Finished up Chapter Four tonight.  I figured out if the only thing on TV to watch is the Oscars, I write faster. :D

---------------

Chapter Four

The Klingons burst out of the airlock, disruptors ready.  There was the usual exchange of hand signals, the long seconds of waiting.  No threat presented itself.

“Looks like a a maintenance tunnel, Lieutenant.”  Meran had already traded his disruptor for his tricorder.  “Power relays all through the walls.”

Leral nodded and holstered her weapon. 

“Getting good readings on internal layout.” Huk stated.

“Fascinating, I’m certain.”  K’tal growled.  He and Rinbar covered the tunnel approaches.

Leral glared at the Ensign.  He smiled wide enough that she could see it through his helmet, then turned away.

“It seems like the whole thing is built around a giant cargo chamber.”  Huk continued.  She was doing a better job at ignoring K’tal than Leral herself was.  Leral was beginning to envy her.  “Getting high power readings from that area, and it seems like the propulsion system is linked to it somehow.”

“Probably converts some of its food into fuel.” Leral said. "Can you locate the command center?"

"No." She confessed.  "There doesn't seem to be any control circuitry that I can locate."

Leral nodded, turned to Meran. "Life signs?"

"None really." He answered.  "Some ambiguous readings, but nothing background radiation couldn't account for." 

Leral frowned. She doubted the presence of life. The hatch they'd came through and the tunnels they stood in disproved an old theory about the stone eaters being some kind of spacefaring creature and the interior held no atmosphere.  There might be something new aboard, she supposed.  It might even be hostile, but that was why she'd brought Marines.

In any case, there was only a single way to find out.  She keyed her transmitter.

“Leral to Ra’dok.”

Here, Lieutenant.”  Static marred the Warrant Officer’s voice, but Leral could understand him.

“We’re inside, no hostile contact.  Proceeding with mission.”

Under...”   

Leral’s earphones fizzed, cutting the shuttle pilot off.  The same alloys that made the sop’nagh impervious to scans were interfering with communications, but they were fortunate that they could talk to Ra’dok at all.

“This tunnel lead to the propulsion areas?”  She asked.

Huk answered.  “Yes. That way.”

The party advanced down the corridor, Marines in the lead.

K'tal halted progress with a quick hand signal.  Leral could only see hints of the chamber ahead of him.  She wanted to see more.

She crept towards the Marine as quietly as her spacesuit and magnetic boots would allow.

"What is it?"  She realized, suddenly, that the new chamber was not built along the same axis of 'up' and down' as the access tunnel.

"This area is very open." K'tal grumbled.  There was a sudden professionalism in his voice.

"Sweep it, then.  Use caution."

Behind his glassy faceplate, the Ensign grinned.  "Yes, Lieutenant."

K'tal motioned for Rinbar and the two Marines charged forward, rifles to their shoulders, their movements swift and predatory.  Their boots slowed them down the little but they covered each other well.  Leral let their competence comfort her as they left her sight.  Being able to take care of himself probably wasn't one of K'tal's failings.

They returned quickly.

"The area is clear.  There is no threat to your technicians."  The Ensign reported.  Rinbar stood off behind him, looking about nervously.

"Good."  Leral answered coldly.

"There's some kind of access panel nearby."  The Marine continued.

"Which way?"

"Either way.  This chamber loops around on itself."  K'tal chuckled.

Again the group advanced.  Leral's stomach lurched as she walked toward's the large chamber's 'floor'.  The distortion of perspective inherent to zero-g operations was unsettling to many Klingons; she was no exception.

"This room is between the storage area and the propulsion system. It's built around the tube that connects them"  Huk clarified, staring at her tricorder. "Layout is similar to a primitive space station..."

"She's trying to say we're on the cieling."  K'tal barked.

"Yes."  Huk agreed.

Leral nodded and opened her eyes.  When the group had found the 'floor', she closed them again, trying to imagine she was somewhere flat.

The access panel was easy to find.  Wide, and festooned with controls, it sat before a rather massive window.  The tube Huk has spoke was visible through the 'glass', connecting with the wall of what was obviously the storage are--or the stomach.  As Leral watched, bits of the tube turned a blazing red, and a spiderweb of patterns on the hold bulkhead were defined in crimsoned.  Then the effect faded.

"It just fired it's plasma."  Huk offered.

Leral smiled, nodded.  The spectacle was repeated in blue, though the color was less intense, the effect more sustained, and the patterns on the bulkhead of a different arrangement.

Then, Leral realized, it wasn't really a spectacle.  If the energy pathways were visible, disruptions would be easy to spot.  She smiled.

"You can reroute the power flow from this panel."  She theorized, letting her fingers drift across the controls. "Just look up, see where things are going wrong, and divert around it."

"Our Chief Engineer might call that lazy." Huk grinned.  Leral chuckled.

"Can you get us into the system?"

"If it's no more secure than the hatch, yes.  It might be hard to translate what it tells us, though, and...I'm not detecting the same kind of control circuitry that was in the hatch."

"See what you can do."

"Yes, My Lord."

"Lieutenant..."  Meran called.  The male scientist had been staring at his tricorder, a puzzled frown visible beyond his faceplate.  Leral went to him, curious.

"I've figured out why I couldn't pinpoint the control circuitry." He explained.

"And?"  Out of the corner of her eye, Leral noted the marines taking up standard defensive positions.  She hadn't ordered it; it pleased her that she hadn't had too.

"The control pathways are organic." Meran continued.  "I was scanning for electronics so I didn't notice them.  There's an extensive nerve system running throughout the stone eater, and there's a huge chunk of organic matter under this floor.  It's electrically active."

"So we're..." Leral began.

"...standing on it's brain. The access panel is directly linked to it."

Leral's eyes widened and she spun towards Huk.  The younger woman had backed away from the panel, which was now ablaze with all manner of light.

"I.." Huk explained.  "...have access."

A flash of light blinded Leral, and there was a sudden sense of flying before she crashed to the deck.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 09:16:24 am by Commander La'ra »
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 09:47:36 pm »
Very interesting. I really like the concept of the story itself, also, very original. Great job, La'ra, can't wait for more.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: Chapter Four
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 02:31:20 am »

“Looks like a mantinence tunnel, Lieutenant.”

a what? ;) .... a maintenance tunnel? :D ;)

"No." He confessed.  "There doesn't seem to be any control circuitry that I can locate."

Since you're talking bout Huk that he should be a she...

Anyway, I probably didn't see all the spelling errors (and I probably made some myself) but I enjoyed the update. It made me curious for the next. And that is something that differentiates(sp?) between the good and the average writer.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Chapter Four
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 09:20:51 am »
a what? ;) .... a maintenance tunnel? :D ;)

Since you're talking bout Huk that he should be a she...

Fixed 'em, and another little mishap that was really close to Maintenance.  Leral was supposed to ask Meran about life signs, since he's the one with the biology background (didn't manage to slip in Huk and Meran's specialities yet...huh.  Maybe I've implied them...).

Anyway, I probably didn't see all the spelling errors (and I probably made some myself) but I enjoyed the update. It made me curious for the next. And that is something that differentiates(sp?) between the good and the average writer.

Thanks, Grim!

I wrote a weird 'semi-Trek' story last night at work.  Sorta got mugged by my muse which refused to leave me in peace until I'd scribbled the idea down, so it's on notebook paper and I need to transcribe it.  I dunno if I can get it up today, but hopefully tomorrow at the latest.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Mentat Jon

• Captain
  • Sending you to hell via drone alpha
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2005, 04:59:05 pm »
I dont hang in these parts much, that is some good s**T I just read  La'ra, I might look about more threads.

Im not trek enough to write here though. :)
"The great questions of the day will be decided not by speeches or majority votes ...but by blood and iron." - Prince Otto Von Bismarck.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2005, 09:45:19 pm »
Hey, Jon, nice to see you around here! Yep, La'ra does write some top-notch stories.

Please do check out some of the other story threads. [shameless plug] Including Civilization: Omens, the story STasik and I are currently working on. ;D Let us know how you like it.[/shameless plug]

Sorry for hijacking your thread, La'ra. And now we return to your regularly scheduled Klingon fiction writing. ;)

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 01:46:48 am »
You can find more of La'ra's stories at Ex Astris Scientia. Check the fanfiction section for the "by Larry Stovall " ones.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 07:56:42 am »
There's also a bunch of them at Starbase 23, along with a bunch of other stories from several other forum authors.

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Mentat Jon

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 05:10:35 pm »
I will take a look later on :)
"The great questions of the day will be decided not by speeches or majority votes ...but by blood and iron." - Prince Otto Von Bismarck.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 06:31:08 pm »
I dont hang in these parts much, that is some good s**T I just read  La'ra, I might look about more threads.

Thanks, MJ!  Glad you ventured over from the land of Strife and Discord.  There's a lot of good stuff here, and over on Andy's site.  I'd mention specifics, but there's not a bad story at SB 23, so just pick one at random.

Hey, Kieran, if you sweet-talked Andy, I'm sure he'd be happy to post your stuff over there too.  And I don't mind a little thread hijack, so long as you don't mind me erecting billboards in your own threads. ;D

Offline Mentat Jon

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2005, 06:41:44 pm »

Thanks, MJ!  Glad you ventured over from the land of Strife and Discord.  There's a lot of good stuff here, and over on Andy's site.  I'd mention specifics, but there's not a bad story at SB 23, so just pick one at random.

Hey, Kieran, if you sweet-talked Andy, I'm sure he'd be happy to post your stuff over there too.  And I don't mind a little thread hijack, so long as you don't mind me erecting billboards in your own threads. ;D

dont forget to save some stuff for the OBI forum ;)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2005, 07:31:03 pm »

Heh. Feel free, as long as you precede it with a comment about the story itself, I won't say anything. :D

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2005, 09:01:39 pm »
Hey, La'ra, I figured out how to put a link to this story into the little billboard you posted in my thread. Check it out. ;D

Now showing in a thread near you....

The Miners of the Stars
The latest stirring tale of the IKV Hiv'laposh!

Edit: I've made a slightly altered version to serve as my signature block. ;D

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2005, 09:36:57 pm »
Aaahhhhh.....

Good indeed.

'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2005, 07:09:41 pm »
MIDTERMS ARE ALMOST OVER!!!

I have FINALLY gotten back around here and have the chance for some more reading.

I really like the way that the story is going. Can't wait to find out what the 'unscheduled flight' was all about.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 06:26:02 pm »
'sniff,sniff...'

Story?

'sniff...'

No story...  :-\ ??? :'( >:(
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 07:25:57 pm »
 >:(

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 07:46:31 pm »
Nothing new since the end of February? And I thought S and I were slow writers... *snicker*

In all seriousness though, I like this story, and I'm eager to read more!

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 12:36:25 am »
and so am I. LAAAAAAAAAAAA'RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! MORE!