Topic: The Blue Screen of Death...  (Read 15283 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: The Blue Screen of Death...
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 09:07:17 am »
I just want to thank everyone for their input and advice.  Haven't had an issue for nearly a day now, so maybe it is going to be okay.  If I get another BSOD, I will write down what it says.

awesome Ben, I hope It worked out for ya.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 04:56:21 pm »

By the way he will not be installing XP SP2, otherwise all drivers and windows updates should be up to date as of 2 months ago. Course when I was talking to him yesterday afternoon he ran for hours with no issue. So who knows. :(

Umm.. if he plans on using any new software in the future on the system And / OR getting updates after July of this year, He is going to have to have XPSP 2 service package.. the reason I stated the IT 266 MB install is because it is the complete package.. the one at Windows Update is only 80 MB and causes 1 in 5 systems to mess up...
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 12:12:23 am »
Well I think we have killed the BSOD. I checked the event viewer and everytime he could recall an BSOD there was a critical stop in the true vector monitor, which is zonealarm for those that do not know.

Proceeded to uninstall and reinstall with a later version and now we have to see if ti works. apparently the last time ZA tried to update itself the patcher got a lil wonky according to Angelslayer so I guessing it got corrupted. That was the only error I saw and the timeframe matched to the minute as far as we could tell.
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2005, 03:38:10 am »
Software firewalls; BAD!

On-Demand Virus Scanners; BAD!

Remember this.

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2005, 06:22:35 am »
Heh, still better then being infested with viruses and doing a complete restore like he's been doing for the past year. 1st time for me ZA has done anything like that.

He does have a router with built in firewall, and i'm guessing that he has the new system we should probally go ahead and set it back up.
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2005, 09:11:15 am »
Well, that will make my boys happy.  They are screaming bloody murder for me to get the PS2 back online for them.  We'll get together and do that soon after work as well.  I really appreciate the help, Will.   CareBear and the two Lords have already said that the BSOD is now gone.   No one has seen it since. ;D

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2005, 09:54:29 am »
I just wanted to take a moment to thank Bonk, Stephen, Pestalence, Javora and Elvis, as well as Will for all the ideas and input on this issue.  I just ran about four missions on GFZ, which is where it typically crashes, but no problems at all now.  You guys have been a great help and speak volumes about the typical members on this community.   Thanks to all.   

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2005, 10:32:44 am »
Bonk, I think I know what you mean, about the on demand AVs and software firewalls.  I currently use Norton AV and Personal Firewall; I hate their invasiveness but like Will Weasel said, it's better than getting blasted three times every two days.  I am using a firewall router, too though, so maybe the soft-wall may not be too necessary.

What would you recommend, however?

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2005, 06:23:36 pm »
What did you do to fix it Angel Slayer? It might be useful for future reference, (in case I have a similar problem).  :)

Edit: OK my bad, it was ZoneAlarm, serves me right for skim reading and not going to bed earlier.  :P Glad you fixed it, these things can be a bummer to sort out.
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2005, 08:54:34 am »
Bonk, I think I know what you mean, about the on demand AVs and software firewalls.  I currently use Norton AV and Personal Firewall; I hate their invasiveness but like Will Weasel said, it's better than getting blasted three times every two days.  I am using a firewall router, too though, so maybe the soft-wall may not be too necessary.

It looks like you and I are at the same place with Norton.  I'm getting ready to install WinXP this week so my spouse can play with Photoshop/Premiere, so I need to figure this issue out soon.  The problem I have is that sometimes I take my system over to a friends house to play games.  This sort of forces me to purchase a software firewall and a antivirus as I don't always know the people that are there on any given day or the setup they have.  I have a hardware firewall built into my router (Netgear FVS318), it is not perfect but it seems to do pretty well.

The thing is the more I research this issue the more confused I become.  Kaspersky and McAfee seem to be tops as far as catch rate goes according to the graphs in the link I posted another thread.  But Kaspersky I told can be a pain to configure and you can only buy it on the web.  McAfee is a resource hog and was totally unstable on my Win2000 setup plus there help desk was reading from a script.  Now when I read the reviews from CPU and Maximum PC, I found PC-Chillin kept popping up as the best for 2005.  Virus Bulletin has also given PC-Chillin good marks lately as well.  However the trial version of PC-Chillin I received with my motherboard (18 months ago) was totally unstable.  Virus Bulletin also gave PC-Chillin a failure rating around the same time period for WinXP.  So I have to wonder if PC-Chillin is on solid ground now or are they just hitting a momentary peak.

If you haven't guessed yet I am researching all of this as I am writing this post.  *sigh*   :D

Well I'm wiping the hard drive today so I'll let you know what I come up with tonight.  I'm putting WinXP on another hard drive so my current Win2000 setup will be unaffected.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2005, 09:37:55 am »
Well, Javora, I am by no means an expert, but I  have used the Norton system.  Not now.   It is a pain to have, and it missed more than it caught.  I use the free copies of AVG and Zone Alarm, and, aside from this one issue, I've had much better success with them than I ever did with Norton.  Plus, these two don't eat up near the memory that Norton does.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2005, 10:13:17 am »
AngelSlayer, who makes AVG?

Also, to anyone, how... what is the best way to uninstall Norton's AV?  I'd still like to keep the Utilities part of Norton; unfortunately I got it all with a Norton Systemworks package.  I hope I can uninstall the AV and install a less resource greedy one.

Ah, the old days of DOS when even I knew what to do...

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2005, 10:17:21 am »
Grisoft Freeweb: Get AVG for your home PC virus protection

That is how I got it.  Will loaded it all and everything, but it is easy to use and set up.  I do know I'll not put Norton back on my computer again.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2005, 10:18:04 am »
Hi Ed, Grisoft makes AVG.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2005, 10:20:39 am »
Just type in AVG in Google.  It pulls it right up.  Give me a moment, I'll get a link...

http://www.sofotex.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-download_L21.html

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2005, 10:22:56 am »
Thanks Javora.  I kinda sorta got stupid and didn't just post what he wanted.  Had me one of them grandpa moments...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2005, 10:38:12 am »

Careful browsing.

I do a virus scan once a month and once in a while it will turn up a bad javascript or applet in the cache if I've been a bad boy... thats it.

I use a router and no software firewall... system is as solid as a rock.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2005, 10:42:48 am »
Okay, folks,

now then, how to successfully (completely) uninstall Norton AV?

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 01:52:15 pm »
Never used Norton so I can't help you E-look.  :( You might need a blow torch to get it off your drive though, lol.

I used to use ZoneAlarm in conjunction with a router but I seemed to have a lot of problems with it. I think ZoneAlarm was blocking my router sometimes but I never worked out what it was. ZoneAlarm now hasn't worked at all since I installed SP2.

Now, I'm aware that a router is a pretty good thing to have if you want to remain safe on the web, however, while it is good for blocking incoming nasties I don't think it has the ability to outgoing nasties, for example if you contract a zombie virus that might use your computer to perform DDOS attacks. But then I guess you have to be careful what you download and virus scan often. (I use AVG too, pretty good for free if you ask me :thumbsup:).
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2005, 02:27:44 pm »
Okay, folks,

now then, how to successfully (completely) uninstall Norton AV?

Haven't tried with recent versions but in the past there was no way to remove Norton.