Topic: What do you do to keep your computer cool when gaming?  (Read 13280 times)

Offline Kid Carrson

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
What do you do to keep your computer cool when gaming?
« on: October 01, 2005, 09:42:22 pm »
What steps do you take to keep your computer cool to prevent over heating and lock ups when doing heavy gaming? 

Thanks for any info.

KC

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: What do you do to keep your computer cool when gaming?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 10:14:09 pm »
Use an all aluminium case, the bigger the better. Aluminium cases have far better thermal properties than plastic ones (and look better too). A big case (a tower case) will also allow you to add extra chassis fans, I myself have 6 chassis fans.

You can also install better cooling fans on components. I have a Gigabyte 120mm heatpipe radiator for the CPU. Heatpipes have 2000 times the thermal conductivity of an ordinary copper pipe. They contain a fluid inside them which boils at the CPU end, the redulting gas flows along the pipe to the radiator where the heat is transferred and the gas changes phase back into a liquid. The phase change and latent heat energy (for those who remember their basic chemistry) is why the thermal conductivity is very efficient.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 10:15:12 pm »
My son has a locking up problem playing online, too.  He plays on a system built on a DFI NF2 Ultra 400 type motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core) @ 1.833 GHz, 1 Gb RAM (1 512 stick KingSTON and 1 512 stick KingMAX), a Sapphire OEM Radeon 9600 XT/128 Mb, and a MGE 400 W power supply.

The system just hangs on him... often.

These days, the mismatched RAM shouldn't be an issue... or is it??

Maybe the OEM Sapphire 9600XT doesn't like some online game graphics?

I don't think it's cooling in his case: three system fans in addition to the built in one on the power supply.

Is the MGE a reliable unit?  It IS a "name brand".

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:33:51 am »
My XP2200+ gets flaky when the temp reaches redline (about 70C) but when I drop the FSB speed down to 100Mhz the temp drops about 20 degrees. I havent noticed a considerable performance difference at the lower bus speed and the CPU sure likes it so I'll keep an eye on it and let you know. The lockups are gone now.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:09:17 am »
No overclocking and a chassis fan. Stays at body temperature.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 03:12:59 pm »
Bonk, I NEVER overclock.  I think I have too much heat as it is right off the bubblewrap.

I'm just wondering if any of the components I posted two posts up might have anything to do with system instability, as:

* the vid card sometimes works better with older drivers,

* sticks of RAM from different companies in the *OLD* days used to cause lockups

* maybe my "name brand" PSU's company got their name making other stuff besides power supplies.  (If it is, it'll be too bad, as, boy, it
   sure looks great since it has a built in LED lit fan.    ::)  )

(And before anyone sniffs, my own system is in a plain case, no lights or doodads; this one is for a kid.)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 03:13:40 pm »
My son has a locking up problem playing online, too.  He plays on a system built on a DFI NF2 Ultra 400 type motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core) @ 1.833 GHz, 1 Gb RAM (1 512 stick KingSTON and 1 512 stick KingMAX), a Sapphire OEM Radeon 9600 XT/128 Mb, and a MGE 400 W power supply.

The system just hangs on him... often.

These days, the mismatched RAM shouldn't be an issue... or is it??

Maybe the OEM Sapphire 9600XT doesn't like some online game graphics?

I don't think it's cooling in his case: three system fans in addition to the built in one on the power supply.

Is the MGE a reliable unit?  It IS a "name brand".

Generally yes mismatched Ram can be a problem, I wouldn't even dream of putting mismatched Ram into my system.  But then my Asus motherboard is extremely picky.  I have never heard of MGE power supplies when I did a quick search of that power supply I found that it is usually sold with a case.  I generally don't use those power supplies unless I'm buying a Antec case, your milage may very.

What game is your son playing, if he is playing something like Battlefield 2 then I would suggest upgrading the video card to at least a ATI X800XT or nVidia 6800GT.  I this round of the video card war I would suggest nVidia over ATI right now.  But then if he is playing older games like SFC then the 9600XT should be just fine.  Also if your son is playing BF2 then I would upgrade to 2Gb of Ram (with matching sticks), I've heard a lot of people and computer magazines say that BF2 runs better with 2Gb of Ram.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 03:48:26 pm »
Generally yes mismatched Ram can be a problem, I wouldn't even dream of putting mismatched Ram into my system.  But then my Asus motherboard is extremely picky.  I have never heard of MGE power supplies when I did a quick search of that power supply I found that it is usually sold with a case.  I generally don't use those power supplies unless I'm buying a Antec case, your milage may very.

What game is your son playing, if he is playing something like Battlefield 2 then I would suggest upgrading the video card to at least a ATI X800XT or nVidia 6800GT.  I this round of the video card war I would suggest nVidia over ATI right now.  But then if he is playing older games like SFC then the 9600XT should be just fine.  Also if your son is playing BF2 then I would upgrade to 2Gb of Ram (with matching sticks), I've heard a lot of people and computer magazines say that BF2 runs better with 2Gb of Ram.

RAM makers do seem to push the edges in different directions.  Myself I prefer to buy a full set at once. 

If it is a ram issue taking out one stick and running with a "mere" 512 MB would demonstrate it.  Of course you (E_Look) might have to do it twice if you get the wrong stick on the first try.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but sometimes the basics do get overlooked.

1/ Are your fans all working?  Especially the CPU and video card fans?

2/ Are your heat sinks clean?  Especially the CPU and video card heat sinks?

3/ Airflow.  Are your case intake fans and vents clear and unobstucted?  No magazines stacked against the vents? 

4/ External heat sources.  Is the cooling air that is being sucked in being preheated by another unit?

5/ When did you last defrag and virus scan?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 03:56:52 pm »
Oops.

Only *I* have admin rights on his rig.  He's still little.  Maybe I ought to go and update, then do a spyware/AV/defrag session on his system.

I'll try to let you guys know how THIS works, as this is the most painless and probably on target thing to do.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 10:29:07 pm »
I use a Thermaltake subzero peltier effect electric cooler. i worry not about excess heat but whether it cools the hardware below the condensation point or not. It can put a ryme of ice on the CPU but the intelligent controller detects all onboard temp sensors and adjusts the power to the cooler.

I will never again buy an aluminum case sight unseen. The one i got was so flimsy it constantly popped stuff out of the expansion slots. if the aluminum is heavy enough i'll get it but reviews can be decieving and purchasing over the internet can get you a piece of crap as far as aluminum cases go.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 06:40:06 am »

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but sometimes the basics do get overlooked.

Nemesis has a good point your system could be overheating, or for that matter you could have a defective part on your hand.  Go ahead and do the defrag/scan routine and let us know how things turn out.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 01:47:55 pm »
My system has 3 case fans w/ an option of doing a fourth. My CPU has a huge all copper heatsink w/ 4 heat pipes and  a 92mm fan.

And it does run fairly cool. PSU on the other hand runs fairly warm. 

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 04:07:35 pm »
stormbringer, how much was that peltier and how well does it work compared to say, water cooling? been thinking about switching my system over to somthing other than aircooling, though right now under load i barely go above 50C (in a hot room), stilli rather it be a lil lower ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:40:44 pm »
stormbringer, how much was that peltier and how well does it work compared to say, water cooling? been thinking about switching my system over to somthing other than aircooling, though right now under load i barely go above 50C (in a hot room), stilli rather it be a lil lower ;)

If I recall correctly it was a little over 100 bucks but that is for a peltier plate, heat sink fan and a pci slot based power supply / controller. The draw backs are that the power supply controller is a bit bulky and takes up one pci slot. perhaps by now they have a pci express or pci II based controller but it would still take up extra room on the MB. additionally it requires another power cord in addition to your main power supply cord. if the controller goes bad you can get condensation on the MB and CPU or it could just stop working and possibly over heat.

OTOH: I have not had a problem with the controller except from case flexing loosening it's PCI connection or the power cord coming loose. the electronics have not failed yet.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 10:21:50 pm »

Nemesis has a good point your system could be overheating, or for that matter you could have a defective part on your hand.  Go ahead and do the defrag/scan routine and let us know how things turn out.

Well, I updated AdAware, Spybot and ran them.  Then I defragged.  Kid says it's worse than before (meaning it's just as bad).

You guys really think it's a cooling issue and not that of drivers?  If I save a few bucks, maybe I'll check the RAM.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 10:24:43 pm »

Well, I updated AdAware, Spybot and ran them.  Then I defragged.  Kid says it's worse than before (meaning it's just as bad).

You guys really think it's a cooling issue and not that of drivers?  If I save a few bucks, maybe I'll check the RAM.

I believe there is a a ram diagnostic in the free version of Sisoft Sandra benchmarking software. it is an awesome set of tools. you should download it anyway.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 07:23:55 am »
Get rid of software firewalls. If Norton is installed ditch it.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 12:29:09 pm »
Oh, this machine has not yet seen any Symantec stuff on it.

And I got rid of Norton anything on my own machine.  It DOES now run a egree or even two cooler, believe it or not!

Where do I go to d/l Sandra?

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 08:55:26 am »
Check the ram with memtest, can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/