Topic: What do you do to keep your computer cool when gaming?  (Read 13284 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: What do you do to keep your computer cool when gaming?
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2006, 11:44:42 pm »
Okay folks!

I finally ended the crashes on my son's computer!  No, I didn't phaser the stupid machine...

... a friend told me that he once had an issue with a new motherboard not being able to handle its fastest rated data speeds at its FSB because of a blown cap on the board.  It appears that some of these capacitors' function is to smooth out any spikes and irregularities in this signal and without ALL the caps, it cannot smooth out the signals at the highest FSB speed.  So he tweaked it down a tad and had no probs ever since.

So I tried it.

So it works!

So now I'm only 90% happy.

This is because, while the whole system no longer hangs, it runs at less than max transmission rates.  I had to reduce the FSB speed in the BIOS from the preferred 166 MHz to the current 133 MHz.

I know, I know, the difference is miniscule and should affect nothing... but the thought of it!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2006, 08:39:41 am »
I'm glad you found the solution Ed, although personally I would return the motherboard for a replacement.  Eventually that cap will blow leaving you with a dead motherboard.  Save yourself the aggravation and money and replace the motherboard while it is still under warranty, since the motherboard is not working as promised you have some recourse.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »
Hmmm...

... Jav, your point is totally valid... and strong.  I only don't want to put up with the "Aww!"s, the "Dad! How'm I gonna play ____??"s, the "How long??!!!"s. 

But I see what you're saying.  I will certainly consider disassembling it and shipping it back.

Thanks, really!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:52:18 pm by E_Look NCC-9091 »

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2006, 01:31:47 pm »
It may blow your ram and processor when it goes (or even hard drives).  Replace the board.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2006, 04:51:07 pm »
Now there's another, soli... HARD reason!!

I'll try to break it to the kid as gently as I can.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2006, 12:00:09 am »
Hmmm...

... Jav, your point is totally valid... and strong.  I only don't want to put up with the "Aww!"s, the "Dad! How'm I gonna play ____??"s, the "How long??!!!"s. 

But I see what you're saying.  I will certainly consider disassembling it and shipping it back.

Thanks, really!

Why, if you can make the company send you a new motherboard first and then send back the old motherboard after the new motherboard is installed.  I realize some companies won't let you do that but it can't hurt to ask.  Keep in mind though the company may ask for your credit card number and give you a time limit on when to get the old motherboard back.  IMHO I don't like companies that make you send the old motherboard back first.  These companies have a bad habit of returning people the same motherboard back saying it's refurbished when the company haven't even looked at it.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2006, 12:48:24 am »
Whoa!  I didn't think of that...

... I'm glad you mentioned it, Jav.  I'll e-mail 'em back.