Topic: Norton does it again...  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Norton does it again...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 11:33:37 am »
Yikes!!!

Thanks for the advice! - Glad I waited to open it...

Any suggestions for a good firewall - I've never used one before, but I've been wanting to start accessing my machine remotely and was thinking I should start using one.

Also aren't they pretty good for detecting backdoor/malware/trojans because they detect them trying to access the internet?

I would like to monitor that activity as well as poert scans on my system.

Thanks again!

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 03:26:11 pm »
I have been using Zone Alarm and am happy with it.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 03:42:53 pm »
Awesome - my co worker also swears by that - I'll try it - thanks!!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 04:04:53 pm »
Just don't run it while playing on the Dynaverse... pleeeaaasssseee!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 08:17:30 pm »
Aarg. Bonk just tried to call ya Bro. My sis in law is running Mcafee, Norton and AVG all at the same time. Now while I like AVG, tomorrow I'll have to again Break down her registry and remove Norton again...

Man this is just crazy, what do I need to do in the registry to stop Norton from giving her a pop up to Re-install?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Midnight Tech

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Tech Support Forum..."We are offering free computer support for everyone"
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 08:28:35 pm »
What Windows she running Stephen?
For computer problems, check out Tech Support Forum!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 08:30:44 pm »
What Windows she running Stephen?

XP home, Man I should have PMed you and Waldo, or checked out the Tech forum again. I just know It'll be a long day tomorrow, fixing up her system. I normaly don't mind doing work like this, BUt the cows have me exhausted.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 11:50:50 am »
I'm sorry, but the only reccomendation I can make is to back up files, wipe the hard disk, reinstall windows and never go near Norton again.

Though you may be able to find another solution. I believe Norton will try charge you for tech support calls.  :thumbsdown:

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 12:04:44 pm »
I made the mistake of installing Norton on my computer a couple of years ago and it took me forever to dig out all of that crap out of the registry.  I stay away from big-name corporate software now because it's almost always crap, hard to remove, and tries to suck you into some kind of payment cycle.  I long for the day when I can truly leave Microsoft and all of its accomplices behind.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 09:45:05 am »
I never register anything that I buy, Norton included. All I need to do is uninstall and reinstall norton on a freshly installed version of XP. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:29 pm »
I used to have the 2005 norton security suite installed on both my offi ce and home PC, but after it demanded I pay the update charges, I let it remove itself and installed the 2003 suite instead and have had no problems since. I DO uninstall it about every 6 months and reinstall it to reset the subscription. They hide the file...but I know where it is.  I've also used the subscription 'crack' which will keep the products updated until 2029.

:)

what can I say, I paid for it- but since it's  really crappy I'm not above fixxing it for my self. So don't ask for my 'fix'.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:07:06 pm by KBF-K' MalaK »
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 04:08:38 pm »
You're lucky your copy of 2005 uninstalled itself. On expiry my stepfather's copy refused to uninstall, refused to work and disabled his internet connection. Very nasty stuff.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 04:33:55 pm »
well, I'm using win98 so I'll bet it's a bit different than XP. Norton hides the subscription stuff in the "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Symantec\Shared", so when you remove the products- erase these files. I dunno if XP works the same way.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 08:26:32 am »
Norton is pure evil. It pissed me off royally today. I cannot say how, but I'm bloody steaming at the ears and foaming at the mouth with rage. It is the worst virus, there is now no question in my mind.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( !

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 08:52:23 am »
I believe in the 'watchdog' theory- I run 4 different things
adaware, spybot s&d, NAV, and spyware blaster. Usually 1 will miss something, but the others will pick it up. I don't particularly trust norton, but I'm cheap and can't afford a decent firewall (I hate zonealarm), and I keep backups of my registry via norton and spybot (not counting the ghost backup). I once bought a used PC with norton firewall 2002 that was expired and it worked just fine online so I dunno what they did to make the newer versions restrict access when the product expired, but I DO regularly review the firewall rules just to make sure norton isn't allowing something I don't know about.

I've got an old copy of Mcafee somewhere, but I'm sure they operate along the same lines when it comes to subscriptions.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 09:16:23 am »
Myself I run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, MS Antispyware and McAfee6 and no firewall. But I do not run any of them continuously, only once in a while will I load them up. For example, I updated them all yesterday and ran them one by one for the first time in a month, the system came up totally clean. I have never been hacked. Its all in how you browse the web.  (a good offense is the best defense... ;))

edit: as the main benefit, my old PIII-1000MHz still far outperforms most P4s weighed down by all those on-demand scanners.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 09:31:07 am by Bonk »

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 09:20:52 am »
Myself I run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, MS Antispyware and McAfee6 and no firewall. But I do not run any of them continuously, only once in a while will I load them up. For example, I updated them all yesterday and ran them one by one for the first time in a month, the system came up totally clean. I have never been hacked. Its all in how you browse the web.  (a good offense is the best defense... ;))

I couldn't agree more. As I'm dial-up I have no need for all that streaming content so I have active-x disabled as well as most of the macromedia stuff. I DO have S&D memory resident (teatimer) which probably helps alot.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2005, 09:38:23 am »
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ (my best browsing friend) on Firefox 1.5 here, javascript enabled and activex does not apply. I am very wary of java however and do not trust anything signed by Thawte at all. The only certificate authority I really trust is Entrust or self signed trustworthy sites.

An image of my system tray during routine use is attached as an example on how not to bog down your PC with false security crap:

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2005, 09:49:03 am »
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ (my best browsing friend) on Firefox 1.5 here, javascript enabled and activex does not apply. I am very wary of java however and do not trust anything signed by Thawte at all. The only certificate authority I really trust is Entrust or self signed trustworthy sites.

An image of my system tray during routine use is attached as an example on how not to bog down your PC with false security crap:

Ohhhhh VERY nice !!

+1 karma for you, Bonk.
Time to get Mozilla and FF re-installed

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2005, 09:54:43 am »
Yup, the flashblock extension is awesome!  :thumbsup:  Saves boatloads of wasted bandwidth.  :) 

P.S. check my Firefox installation guidelines here:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163362570.msg1122656892.html#msg1122656892

P.P.S. this is my 5000th post!  :woot: