Topic: Matt Damon as the new James T. Kirk???  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Matt Damon as the new James T. Kirk???
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 10:18:55 am »
Honestly Vipre, I don't think that would be necessary.  There are many actors/actresses out there, both boxoffice names and not, with great talent and skill that could play these roles tastefully and faithfully, and I personally believe that if the director and producers cast the right people carefully, that this project could be a success.  Then again, that's just me.

Matt Damon as Capt. Kirk might actually be a good choice.  Keep in mind I said might.  It all depends on how well he takes to the role, and how much research he does on the character.  Knowing professional actors who take their trade seriously, not only will Damon be watching all the TOS episodes over and over again, same with the first 6 movies, he'll also get in touch with William Shatner and other surviving members of the cast, trying to get as much information about the character of Kirk to most effectively recreate the character to the best of his abilities.

I wonder though if Johnny Depp would ever be right for a role in this movie.  His qualifications as an actor are rarely ever matched.  He is truly a character actor, virtually transforming himself into the character he portrays, and if you really pay attention to his films, rarely are any two different characters of his remotely alike. 

I think, if done tastefully, and decisions made carefully, this could be a success.  Only time will tell.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2006, 01:54:27 pm »
Centurus,

Don't get me wrong, what I said wasn't meant as a dismissal of any actors skill or dedication to their careers. I just feel that the "Powers in Control" of the industry might go with the hey lets milk this cow treatment rather than an honest attempt at producing a quality (story vs name/face) movie. I very much hope it's the former.

Also I agree about Depp. In Don Juan Demarco with Brando....totally believable character

(edited because I managed to spell correctly the wrong word)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:06:27 pm by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:53 pm »
Ahh, then I stand corrected.  The only thing I hope for is that B&B don't come anywhere near this project at all.  If the people that were involved in season 4 of Enterprise have a hand to play in this project, I believe it can be done successfuly.  I know many people hate Enterprise, but the 4th season was incredible.  Most of the stories were not only well written, but tastefully directed and produced.  The only downfall that those people had were trying to repair some of the damage that B&B did in the previous seasons, but I honestly believe if it had been given a chance, it would have worked. 

What we could do is start a writing campaign to the studios begging them to make very wise decisions, not for the sake of milking the project, but for the sake of creating a quality piece of work that us Trek fans would love. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 06:17:53 pm »
Oh one other thing. Please, no time travel plot or subplot or I'll call the Temporal Police myself. :police:
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 07:56:54 pm »
I always thought it was too bad that they did a Mirrorverse episode of Enterprise (at least I heard they did, I didn't see it).  Otherwise, they could have claimed that Archer and co. were the guys who started the mirrorverse Federation on it's path (and might have made sence given the struggles they went through) then they capped it off with the whole Riker appearance.  Now the 3 seasons of travesty are tied to us forever (unless a creative writer comes through and finds a way out).

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2006, 09:34:56 am »
I always thought it was too bad that they did a Mirrorverse episode of Enterprise (at least I heard they did, I didn't see it). Otherwise, they could have claimed that Archer and co. were the guys who started the mirrorverse Federation on it's path (and might have made sense given the struggles they went through) then they capped it off with the whole Riker appearance. Now the 3 seasons of travesty are tied to us forever (unless a creative writer comes through and finds a way out).

Yeah the mirror episode was called "In a Mirror Darkly" I think. It had the TOS Defiant appearing in the mirror uni after it dissapeared in TOS and Archer capturing it.

"the whole Riker appearance" <-- Whats the deal with this? I didn't watch Enterprise because it wasn't on any stations where I live. (at least none I could receive)
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2006, 11:23:01 am »
Riker and Troi made an appearance in the final episode.  The actual story took place during the Pegasus incident in TNG, where Riker was torn between his oath to silence and his duty to Capt. Picard about the top secret phase cloak on the Pegasus. 

Troi had recommended that Riker go to the holodeck and replay the final days of the NX-01 to help him gain a perspective on what he should do, so the last episode of Enterprise was actually a historial recreation on the Ent-D holodeck.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »
So any hope of somebody stating in the future that the whole Enterprise series was actually just a holonovel written by Ensign Jonathan Archer of the Enterprise 1701-D  ;)
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2006, 09:04:36 am »
*looks at Vipre and smacks him with a rubber chicken*  Nope, sorry, no chance of that.  Also, even with B&B having screwed up Enterprise, I doubt they would have written that.

Oh well, let's see what else develops with this project.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2006, 10:30:49 am »
*looks at Vipre and smacks him with a rubber chicken* Nope, sorry, no chance of that. Also, even with B&B having screwed up Enterprise, I doubt they would have written that.

Hold on, I thought this forum had an anti-rubber chicken rule in place. :rules: *checks rules again* Anti-rubber whaa...wtf...oh man that just ain't right.  :lol:
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2006, 10:40:41 pm »
Nope, no anti-Rubber Chicken rules anywhere on D.net so far.  And besides, they never obey many rules anyway. 

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2006, 12:21:19 am »
*looks at Vipre and smacks him with a rubber chicken*  Nope, sorry, no chance of that.  Also, even with B&B having screwed up Enterprise, I doubt they would have written that.

OK, several things. 

1 - Where's your imagination?  Sure there's a chance.  All you have to do is start an episode of a later trek and have somebody coming out of a holodeck that's playing an incident where they get to be Riker going into a holodeck session about a fictional Enterprise and past that never existed. heh. ;)

2 - B&B wouldn't have written that?  I think they would have wet themselves with joy if they had only had the creativity to put together such a well thought out and entertaning storyline.  :D

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2006, 01:09:31 pm »
I think Enterprise all started during a round of drinks between B&B in which the phrase, "Can you imagine the looks on their nerdy faces if...." was uttered.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2006, 12:12:51 am »
Depp as Harcourt Fenton Mudd...  ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2006, 12:19:06 am »
Depp as Harcourt Fenton Mudd...  ;D

He looks nothing like the part, but he'd play it brilliantly!   ;D

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2006, 12:30:34 am »
whaddya mean?  dress him up in that Pirates of the Carribean outfit and maybe put a pillow under his shirt and he'd look perfect... ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2006, 03:22:49 am »
Nah, make him Trellain!

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2006, 05:13:52 am »
Ah yes!  Trelane, the erstwhile Squire of Gothos. 
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 01:55:38 pm »
SCREW THAT!  Depp as Kirk!! 

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that sooner!  Think about it, Depp would do Kirk better than Shatner!
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:01 pm »
Depp can play Manny Ramirez tossing his bat away after getting bopped by the Bronx Muggers' brooms.

Depp's pirate Jack Sparrow makes me think of Manny Ramirez and the way he looks and moves on TV.