Topic: Matt Damon as the new James T. Kirk???  (Read 12055 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Matt Damon as the new James T. Kirk???
« on: June 21, 2006, 04:08:32 pm »
From Trek Web

I liked him in the Bourne movies, but is an established, big-ticket name the way to go in casting?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Matt Damon as the new James T. Kirk???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:03:27 pm »
I think it could be.  Let's face it Trek alone isn't getting people in the seats anymore, especially after the insulting offerings that they were giving.  Even the fans of Trek aren't going, so what do you do?  I think they believe that if they cast known entities then that will help fill the seats.  I just hope that the movie is  worth it and they aren't just going with the same old, same old, and throwing names in the mix.  Frankly, I don't think I'd mind Damon as Kirk, if done right.  Sure he's not going to be like the original, but he might be able to pull it off.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:38:05 pm »

Matt Damon as the "young Kirk"?

This doesn't work.   Matt Damon is currenly 36.   William Shatner was only 35 when he began the role of Kirk.  He might could pick up the role where Shatner left off at the end of TOS, but if you want a "young" Kirk then you've got to reach younger than Damon.

Or maybe you could do what middle aged acresses do when they want to appear younger, and just give him pig tails.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:51:44 am »
That's true about the age, I didn't think of that and the whole "younger Kirk" thing.  Still, I think they probably believe they need to land a big name or two to fill the seats since even Trekkies aren't going to see some of the stuff now (and it's their own fault so I don't feel bad for Paramount, but I feel for the fans now that they have a mess of a universe to deal with).

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:14:07 am »
Damon looks like he's 12, so he could probably pull it off.  He's demonstrated some depth of character in his roles, so he might just be believable.

I'd like to see Johnny Depp in Trek, as I think he's one of the most versatile actors in hollywood.

You know, Orlando Bloom might be able to pull off a Kirk.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:08:16 pm »
Nah, Orlando Bloom has got to wear the ears!

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 08:07:33 am »
Orlando Bloom might also get women who would'nt normally watch Trek, to watch it.

* Darth Sidious shudders at too many squeeling women/girls at midnight showings of LOTR movies

Nah, Orlando Bloom has got to wear the ears!

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:54:21 am »
Yeah, Spock enters the scene with alien girls on each arm, a la Peter Gunn!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 09:24:00 am »
Let's get Peter Jackson to direct, and make them all Hobbits!
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 09:55:31 am »
I think Owen Wilson as a young McCoy might be interesting, but he could well steal the show. But that might mean we'd have to have Jackie Chan as Sulu.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 01:16:04 pm »
Nope. All wrong.  I've got the entire cast right here.

Spock-  Hugo Weaving
Kirk- Matthew McConuhey (sp?)
McCoy- Dennis Leary
Scotty- Conan O'Brian
Uhura- Beyonce Knowles
Chekov- Orlando Bloom (Hope he can do a russian accent!)
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 02:02:26 pm »
Owen Wilson could probably play Harry Mudd... ;D  But you still need a Sulu.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:51:37 pm »
Jackie Chan?  ;D

Ian Kellen?  :rofl:

Okay seriously, how about that guy from Space: Above and Beyond, what's his name, Jose de la Fuente or something like that?
To me he looks more Chinese than Japanese, even if he may be Latino or Filipino.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 05:00:06 pm »
I did forget Sulu!

Could get the guy that's in the New Voyages skit "Center Seat".
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
Owen Wilson could probably play Harry Mudd... ;D  But you still need a Sulu.

Lucy Liu

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 12:42:24 pm »
Lucy Liu = Sulu, like what they did to Starbuck on BSG?  Of course, if it's done properly I don't see why not..

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 11:30:02 pm »
Just heard on the "Hollywood Minute" That Matt Damon has been pegged to play the Young Kirk.  I wonder who they will get to play Spock?

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan/popup.html?v=90610009&pl=91195270.xml&config=/config/common/fan/comcast.xml

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 02:11:13 am »

Matt Damon as the "young Kirk"?

This doesn't work.   Matt Damon is currenly 36.   William Shatner was only 35 when he began the role of Kirk.  He might could pick up the role where Shatner left off at the end of TOS, but if you want a "young" Kirk then you've got to reach younger than Damon.

Or maybe you could do what middle aged acresses do when they want to appear younger, and just give him pig tails.

-S'Cipio

Damon hs enough of a baby-face that he might be able to do it with a bit of make-up

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 02:27:18 am »
Here are a few possibilities

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/06/25/103414.php

<snip>

Captain James T. Kirk. This is the casting I read and really liked. Replacing the legendary William Shatner, Matt Damon. The guy can act, he can do action, he can shift between comedy and drama with ease, and I think he could do the character proud. The big question will be if he would go the Shatner route, or if he would employ more human-like inflections. Either way, I think Damon would be a good choice.

Commander Spock. Originally played in stoic, emotionless fashion by Leonard Nimoy, he always had this great matter of fact way of delivering lines, and having great presence with minimal motion. Who could don the pointed ears and take over as the half alien science officer? I read someone suggesting Adrien Brody, I don't think so. The name that I like is Billy Zane, he has the right voice, and facial features that look right for the role. He doesn't really look like Nimoy, but I think I could believe him as Spock.

Doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy. There is only one person I can think of to take over the reigns from the late DeForrest Kelley, that name is Gary Sinise. He can act and has the perfect look to take on the role of the good doctor. Can't you picture Sinise entering into some verbal sparring with Zane's Spock, or one of those "I'm a Doctor" lines, or even a classic "He's dead, Jim." Sinise is the one name to consider.

Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott. None other than Austin Powers himself, Mike Myers, would be up to the task of the late James Doohan's most famous role. Take this comedic chameleon and focus his abilities on the Scottish engineer, and you could have a match made in heaven. There is no doubt that he could do the accent, and he seems to have the right physical presence for the job. Myers in this role could prove to be inspired casting.

Ensign Pavel Chekov. This is a tough one, a young Russian for the helm. Perhaps someone like Frankie Muniz? He seems to be about the right age and have the right build for it. I think the biggest question would be if he could pull off the Russian accent. I am sure a vocal coach could get him doing it, but then it would be up to the audience buying Malcolm as a bridge officer on the Enterprise. Could be interesting to see if he can put a spin on Walter Koenig's Monkee inspired role.

Lieutenant Uhura. Another tough one. How about Regina King? She is a very good actress, and I think she could take on the role of the Enterprise communication officer. She is equally adept at drama and comedy, as shown in films like Ray and Miss Congeniality 2. I would like to see her in the role originated by Nichelle Nichols.

Lieutenant Commander Hikaru Sulu. As I was thinking of names, a certain guy came to mind, but I could only think of the movie I saw him in, not the name. The film is Better Luck Tomorrow and the actor is Parry Shen. I know, Shen is Chinese and George Takei is Japanese, but that doesn't chnage my opinion that Shen would be very good in the role. I think he has the right look, and from what I saw in that aforementioned film was very good.

<Snip>

Don't like the Cekov choice, not quite sure about Myers as Scotty either.  But I do like Billy Zane for Spock alot and Gary Sinise could work great as Bones.  As for the other they seem pretty good choices.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 02:40:56 am »
BTW there would be an obvious choice for Sarek......Leonard Nimoy!

Also notice on the cooments of the link above, Chris Doohan wouldn't mind having a shot at his fathers role....interesting.