Topic: Star Trek XI poster released  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Star Trek XI poster released
« on: July 22, 2006, 06:14:55 pm »
Paramount releases Star Trek XI poster at San Diego Comic-Con

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/19575.html

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Star Trek XI poster released
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:47:54 pm »
Well, it does indeed appear that we are going 'old school' on this one, boys.

Alien T&A, fistfights, and jea...rky speeches are going... to be the norm... agian!
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:53:23 pm »
That poster says to me .... back to the foundation.  Which means fighting the Klingons again.  I just don't have any faith in their plans for the franchise.  I hope I'm wrong. Sincerely.
The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

yochenhsieh

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 06:37:57 am »
Which means fighting the Klingons again.
Why?

In 79 TOS episodes, only 5 of them featured Klingons.
Errand of Mercy, The Trouble of Tribbles, Elaan of Troyius, Day of the Dove, The Savage Curtain.
In 6 TOS movies, only 3 of them featured Klingons as villians -- ST III, V, and VI.

I don't know why you think that TOS means fighting the Klingons.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:53:46 am »
Why?

In 79 TOS episodes, only 5 of them featured Klingons.
Errand of Mercy, The Trouble of Tribbles, Elaan of Troyius, Day of the Dove, The Savage Curtain.
In 6 TOS movies, only 3 of them featured Klingons as villians -- ST III, V, and VI.

I don't know why you think that TOS means fighting the Klingons.

You forgot Fridays Child and A Private Little War.  Nearly 10%.  vs a mere 3 for the Romulans.

Because before TNG showed there were few races from outside the Federation that had repeat appearnaces the Klingons and their Romulan client state were the two most popular.

Don't forget that both Kor and Kang beat Kirk and Kirk was saved from Koloth by a tribble  (leading to an act of ecoterrorism by Scotty).  Kor had his victory overturned by the Organians not Kirk.  Kang recognized the energy being as the true enemy and joined with Kirk to deny it victory, but Kang not Kirk was the one in command of the Enterprise when the enemy was defeated, the Enterprise was returned merely for diplomatic reasons.

Confrontations below the level of warfare and through client states would be a natural for the Feds and Klingons with the Organians forcing them to compete economically and dipolmatically for developing areas of the neutral zone. 

By the way there were NO Klingons in any of the movies.  Kor, Kang and Koloth were Klingons those boneheads in the movies are something else.

:flame:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 12:35:03 pm »
By the way there were NO Klingons in any of the movies.  Kor, Kang and Koloth were Klingons those boneheads in the movies are something else.

There were no Romulans in TNG either. ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:04:21 pm »

The Romulans at least are closer in behaviour. 

I can't imagine Kor, Kang or Koloth growling at a Q.  Neither would they say to a superiour "If you were any other man I'd kill you where you stand" - they'd kill him or not but never say it that way.

The old Klingons had a reason for militarism.  Their area of space was short on resources (hinted but not stated to be because of a prior empire mining it out) and they had to expand to unexploited territory or fall.  Boneheads just like hurting people.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 07:16:30 pm »

Hardly close- more like polar opposites.

Romulans in TNG were devious, unprincipled and boastful. They were totally opposite form they proud, honorable, cunning examples in TOS- what would theROmulan Commander form Balance of Terror thought of the vindictive Romulans in TN?

Romulans were supposed to be an honorable, mysterious enemy- fudal Japanese in nature. In TNG they wound up being as much a perversion of that behavior as WWII Japanese leaders were of their Samauri ancestors.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 09:40:27 pm »
That poster says to me .... back to the foundation. 

Are you guys seeing more than me?   Because all I see is just a two-color icon of the Enterprise uniform symbol.  Talk about a poster tha shows you nothing!

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 10:23:02 pm »
Well, if you look at it it bears more resemblance to the TOS emblem than some of the later designs.  Black border and center icon, etc.  Also, the colors used as a backdrop are more akin to the TOS style, and would make you think of Kirk and Spock as those were their colors.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 10:59:14 pm »
That poster says to me .... back to the foundation. 

Are you guys seeing more than me?   Because all I see is just a two-color icon of the Enterprise uniform symbol.  Talk about a poster tha shows you nothing!

-S'Cipio

Huh? S'Cipio, it's obviously back to classic trek with the TOS enterprise command crest. there are 3 variations out, 1 in the science blue, 1 in the command gold and the split of the 2 colors.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/230706_01.shtml
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 10:53:55 am by FPF-Tobin Dax »
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 12:13:38 pm »
You know...  they can have a totally new cast in old school trek ON THE ENTERPRISE if they use Pike's crew

food for thought...
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
yeah, I doubt that anyone would mind if they found a new actor for Pike.  Personally I think that going backwards until they get things straightened out continuity wise is a big mistake.  Here's hoping they don't screw with Trek lore more than Enterprise did.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »

-S'Cipio

Huh? S'Cipio, it's obviously back to classic trek with the TOS enterprise command crest. there are 3 variations out, 1 in the science blue, 1 in the command gold and the split of the 2 colors.

Of course I recognize the Enterprise icon; was it that much different in TNG that we know which era this is?  I guess I never really paid attention to how much or how little it changed in TNG.  Mostly I just got annoyed that the Enterprise's emblem seemed to have suddenly become the Federation's emblem.   

It made more sense in TOS when every ship had its own emblem, and the UFP had its own flag.

Make no mistake, however, I'm ecstatic with a return to the TOS era; so long as the writing keeps us there, instead of the Enterprise series's mistake of giving us TNG sensibilities in a pre-TOS era.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 03:00:03 pm »

Of course I recognize the Enterprise icon; was it that much different in TNG that we know which era this is?  I guess I never really paid attention to how much or how little it changed in TNG.  Mostly I just got annoyed that the Enterprise's emblem seemed to have suddenly become the Federation's emblem.   

It made more sense in TOS when every ship had its own emblem, and the UFP had its own flag.

Make no mistake, however, I'm ecstatic with a return to the TOS era; so long as the writing keeps us there, instead of the Enterprise series's mistake of giving us TNG sensibilities in a pre-TOS era.

-S'Cipio

I just had this horrible thought ...... this flick will incorporate time travel again.  Kirk of the present meets Kirk of the future.

I need to sit awhile.   :-\

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 03:01:28 pm »
Too bad they never caught on with the old Star Fleet Battles material in which many Kilingon ships (especially 2nd line ships) were crewed by slave races, with just a few Klingon officers.

It would have made them far more interesting as bad guys.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 03:26:23 pm »
Too bad the movie cant be SFC2

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 04:34:32 pm »
Too bad the movie cant be SFC2

Ya have a point there Darth.

SFC II & III have better plot lines than half of the Trek flicks.

Pretty sad.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 09:06:10 pm »

Hardly close- more like polar opposites.

Romulans in TNG were devious, unprincipled and boastful. They were totally opposite form they proud, honorable, cunning examples in TOS- what would theROmulan Commander form Balance of Terror thought of the vindictive Romulans in TN?

Romulans were supposed to be an honorable, mysterious enemy- fudal Japanese in nature. In TNG they wound up being as much a perversion of that behavior as WWII Japanese leaders were of their Samauri ancestors.

What would the Romulan commander from The Balance of Terror think of the TNG Romulan?  About the same as he thought of the junior officer with political connections who tried to take control of the ship during battle against the Enterprise.  About the same as he thought of the Romulan government in his own time, sending him out to attack not for the glory of the empire or its defense but more as part of internal political maneuvering with him and his crew as sacrificial pawns.

Not so very different from TNG.   Two groups of Romulans.  One that follows the old ways of honour and service to the Empire and one that follows the way of power politics and political connections with no regard for anything but their personal profit and power.  The TNG Romulans had merely gone further down the path and the old style Romulans were much rarer.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 09:09:02 pm »
Too bad they never caught on with the old Star Fleet Battles material in which many Kilingon ships (especially 2nd line ships) were crewed by slave races, with just a few Klingon officers.

It would have made them far more interesting as bad guys.

For the "cannon fodder" slave crew I would use the TNG style Klingons - they have the right attitude for the job.  Have them be Klingons as much as slaves in Rome were Romans.