Topic: BSG season 3.0 spoilers thread.  (Read 40835 times)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: BSG season 3.0 spoilers thread.
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2006, 03:43:32 pm »
As for Tom Zarek, does anyone really think he'll get the President's job?  No matter that he DID spend four months in detention, he still supported settling on the planet.  Laura Roslyn opposed that plan and lost the election because she opposed it.  Even if Zarek leaks about her attempting to steal the election, I bet most of the colonials will respond as Zarek himself did "I wish you'd done it." (He said that to her right when they thought they were about to be killed in Episode 2 of this season).  Laura will lead the people because her vision for the direction of the fleet was the right one, and now everyone has paid a high price because they did not listen to her. 

Zarek is politically astute enough to know that Roslin's stock is going to be sky-high for the forseeable future. Whether or not he simply gives up the throne is another matter entirely.

I suppose they could call for a Cali-style recall election, since Baltar is such a tard. That seems like a bit of a shark jump though.

Note that Zarek was also interested in protecting Roslyn from the firing squad in that he grabbed her and moved her to the back.  He seems to have a new respect for her. Maybe even something more?
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2006, 04:18:07 pm »
My partner picked up a couple of BSG books this weekend and I managed to read one of them.  Interestingly enough, it managed to have Tom Zarek, the Galactica, Bill Adama and Saul Tigh as well as Cylons in it without breaking anything that's been aired in the series (Adama and Zarek were on the same planet, but not in each other's companies although they both interacted with the same group of people). 

The story did a good job at fleshing out a young Tom Zarek and showing how he went down the road that led to his bombing a government building and being put into prison...not bad overall.  Not great, but not bad.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2006, 09:34:33 pm »
Well I guess Jammer isn't a cylon sleeper.

But then again, he did look a little calm before wooshing out the air-lock.  :-\

Got to watch it again at 11; wife and baby snooring so loud I couldn't hear much of the dialogue. Have the feeling many interesting plot points just got laid out.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2006, 05:19:29 am »
I don't know
I liked the episode- and I didn't.
I thought there should have been more of Zareks role, and that more should have been shown .
Stil think it's interesting (and hopefully a continuing point) that there will be a recognized difference between Adama and those formerly close to him
As hero/saviour as he might be- he wasn't there.

It's still early, still a little concerned about how many "ongoing" storylines they're going to have, you've got the circle (now likely defunct but...)
Tigh (hopefully they'll keep this one going) Starbuck, the crowding, Baltar and the Cylons, a few I'm forgetting, then you've got teh Cylon virus  coming up
plus whatever else they introduce. Going to be a busy season.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2006, 12:25:35 pm »

But then again, he did look a little calm before wooshing out the air-lock.  :-\

Got to watch it again at 11; wife and baby snooring so loud I couldn't hear much of the dialogue. Have the feeling many interesting plot points just got laid out.

Maybe turn on closed captioning if you have it. Some of the dialogue is so quiet, I have trouble hearing it if the kids are asleep or they're awake and too noisy.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2006, 12:32:20 pm »
I think the thing that disturbs me most, about this season, is that IF pushed as hard as that crew has been, I could see me making desisions that Tigh has made. IT's not that I justify it, But I can understand where he's coming from on alot of those issues.

I still think he's an insufferable prick, and has done as much bad as good, but I can relate to what he has done at times. That scares the hell out of me.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2006, 12:39:51 pm »
I was surprised by this episode.  After the last four, and especially the SFX heavy Exodus Part Two, you know they have to do a low-budget episode.  Personally, from the previews, I was expecting something along the quality level of Spock's Brain.  Jeez, by the end of the first act I was riveted and away from my computer watching the episode from the couch instead.

A couple of thoughts:  

Zarek, I don't like him, but I do respect him.  He does what he believes is right, and when confronted he doesn't try to prevaricate, he doesn't deny being involved, he takes ownership of his actions, right or wrong, and he explains his reasons for doing what he did.  I don't agree with his 'circles' and their trials, but I can respect his reasons for creating them.  That is why I feel satisfied Zarek is still going to be the VP...maybe he'll continue to grow as a character and become a good successor for Roslyn. (A side note to all those other actors from the original BSG...eat your frakking hearts out!  You too could have had a kick-ass role like Richard Hatch's if you'd only swallowed your Pride a bit and accepted that something could be better than the original.)

Chief Tyrol:  I especially liked the conflict in this character during this episode, especially his unease about Jammer, who was one of his men before New Caprica, and if you watched the webisodes, was heavily involved in the Resistance from the beginning.  Even after joining the NCP, Jammer had to have largely kept his mouth shut or Chief Tyrol and Anders would have been in detention along with Colonel Tigh.  Then, when the dog bowl came out with Gaeda, the expressions on his face all the way up to the fade out were absolutely wonderful.  

Starbuck:  They established from the beginning of the mini-series just how self-destructive Starbuck is as a person.  Unless she's in the cockpit of a Viper, she's a frak-up and she shows it here.  It should be interesting as she continues down the slope of self-destruction.

Apollo - Yay!  The fat suit will be gone and I'll get my eye-candy back.  The lines between him and his father about jumping rope, and Admiral Adama's beat about "You need more" or something like that was another classic Adama quote.  Loved it!

Saul TIgh - Yeah, you killed your traitorous bitch of a wife...so what?  Most people on the planet lost someone they cared about, and it's your own damn fault because YOU were the one that ordered suicide bombers, and set up a policy of zero tolerance for collaborators.  I personally look for Tight to self-destruct very quickly, and for Adama to try bringing him in line, but failing and cutting him off before he does more damage.  Frankly, I think Helo has spoiled Adama.  In Helo he has a competent X.O. without the alcoholism, and Adama's been spoiled by that.  Hell, Helo's damn near the perfect X.O. with his only drawback being his wife is a CYLON.  

Baltar - We finally got to see Baltar on the basestar, and I just LOVED the symmetry of it all...from the austere but high-tech/sleek quarters, to the roman lounge for a bed, the beautiful decanter of water on a side table, the white robe, and two lovely female models of Cylons totally fracking with his brain, along with a metal centurion just staring at him (that alone would freak me out!).

If this is what they do for low-budget episodes, I vote for slashing their budget in half and requiring them to write these episodes all the time!

I think the thing that disturbs me most, about this season, is that IF pushed as hard as that crew has been, I could see me making desisions that Tigh has made. IT's not that I justify it, But I can understand where he's coming from on alot of those issues.

I still think he's an insufferable prick, and has done as much bad as good, but I can relate to what he has done at times. That scares the hell out of me.

Stephen

Buddy, that's what the first five episodes of this season have done to me.  I can see the capacity to make the same decisions as Tigh did inside of me, but I do think I would reject some of them. 

I would order suicide bombers off targets like the New Caprica Police and President Baltar

I would NOT order suicide bombings of the market place or civilian targets unless there's an overriding reason (a temple being used as a police headquarters would get bombed, a temple being used as a temple would not). 

I would kill my partner if they betrayed humanity to the Cylons...and I'd use the poisoned cup too.  It's the nice, easy way to make it easier for me to live with. 

I wouldn't blame anyone but me for making that decision either.

I'd side with Adama and Roslyn as well...the best way to deal with the collaborators once they got back to the fleet would have been to pardon them.  It makes it less easy for the cylons to use former collaborators as tools afterwards (cylons threaten to reveal secret collaboration unless they do x,y, or z).  The internal conflict is over at that point...and humanity should focus on healing their rifts and moving on towards the goal of Earth. 

I'd also keep Zarek close by for the dirty deeds I didn't want to dirty my hands with...

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
I hear that, and I  agree with you. I wouldn't go after civilian targets, that's for sure. The tribunal aka Starchamber, I could see doing that, Doing everything I could to take out Baltor and the cylons, Could do that, Killing my wife, after I found out what she had done, could do that.

The only differance, is that I would find a better way to carry out the executions, besides throwing them out an airlock.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 03:25:46 pm »
No comments about the cylons wanting to make earth their new home?  This also got me wondering about earlier staements about how all this has happenned before and will all happen again.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2006, 09:35:23 am »
(A side note to all those other actors from the original BSG...eat your frakking hearts out!  You too could have had a kick-ass role like Richard Hatch's if you'd only swallowed your Pride a bit and accepted that something could be better than the original.)

Indeed!
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2006, 12:21:44 pm »
No comments about the cylons wanting to make earth their new home?  This also got me wondering about earlier staements about how all this has happenned before and will all happen again.

I've both slobbered over spoilers and actively tried to ignore them.  I know Earth is going to play a lot bigger role, and I know Baltar is going to point the Cylons there, but I really don't want to know more than that (although I did read the spoiler about how the cylon basestars are controlled and thanks to Having read two of the BSG books that are out, I know where the Cylon idea came from and it's damn interesting continuity). 

The Cylons SHOULD want to find Earth and make it home.  It's the 13th Tribe, and had nothing to do at all with the creation of the Cylons.  Maybe they ARE the humans that Cylons can live side by side with in eternal harmony and bliss!

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2006, 08:46:57 pm »
Cylons won't be able to live in harmony with Earthers. They can't live in harmony with themselves. Shooting 6 although with the knowledge she'll be back is not inspiring. They want too much to be like their creators and in a trek sort of way, they're getting all the flaws that go with it.

Offline Bartok

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2006, 09:25:52 pm »
A Great Show Indeed!

I'm curious about the thing you read on how basestars are controlled???!!!! - post a link if u have one handy  ;)

I'm still curious about the Cylon overmind, or whatever.  Ok - so there are 12 models, but how many "individuals/skin jobs" total?  Are the models aggregates? - LIke does Caprica 6 speak for all 6's?

I think there were 6 eligible cylon votes for Baltar to either be allowed or stay onboard the basestar or not....  some nicely starched shirts being placed on the roman sofa for Baltar was a nice way to convey the vote...

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2006, 11:01:14 am »
Well the writers need to keep track of everything as it gets more complex. I'm surprised that they (cylons) will get rid of Baltar after 6 told him late in the 1st season on Kobol, that he and she would be the parents of the "new" child.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2006, 11:58:05 am »
I enjoyed last night's episode.  They've put out a few books, and one of them had proto-hybrids...it's interesting to see they kept the program...

The last scene, with Adama facing a bitter Kara and Tigh was just great...along with the different reactions of Kara and Tigh.

Plus...I love Sharon's new call-sign.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2006, 10:34:19 pm »
I don't mean to dis the eye-candy, but.... what friggin diet is Apollo on? He drops like 50+ pounds in the space of a week or two? The BS meter is pegged on that one. ;D
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2006, 11:38:35 am »

I don't know if its the TV, or the station, or bad mixing, but I have a really tough time hearing the dialogue on BSG.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2006, 12:03:05 pm »
Probably either the tv or the station, although there are one or two points where I've had to rewind to catch exactly what was said.

Oh, and um, isn't the last episode, Torn, at least a month or more after Collaborators?

I could see six weeks for losing fifty pounds if he REALLY put an effort into the weightloss...although that muscle tone would take a longer time to come back.  Who cares though?  I get to look at his beautiful abs again!  Hurray!

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:46 pm »
The hybrid = Spocks' brain  ;D  running the entire base ship.  The hybrid must be very unhappy being forced to jump by the skinjobs.  It appears the hybrid couldn't over-ride the input from the skinjobs although she tried and delayed the jump. It would seem that the skinjobs are out of touch with god and the hybrid still is in touch.  what ran a base ship 40 years ago though? Pre hybrid I would think.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
I'm just waiting for the old Galatica...with Jolly, Athena, Sheba, Bo Jay, the real Boomer, and the rest of them to simply saunter in and show these bozos who's boss!
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)