Topic: TNG Constitution Project  (Read 42636 times)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
Re: TNG Constitution Project
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 12:25:05 pm »
Really nice work. I don't know why we never saw one Connie variation on TNG. The design was only 80 years old. Even the TMP upgrade from TOS only used the frame, everything else was new. It seems odd that they wouldn't just build wholly new ship frames and redesignate it to fill a frigate class slot.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 06:49:42 pm »
Nice work again!

Offline F9thDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:03 pm »
Ill be damned someone actually decided to do a new TNG connie. I must say this is going to be the nicest to date. All we need now is a TNG connie bridge SF i like those nacelles in the second link u posted a bit up this page. Anyways ill be keepin an close eye on this.

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 09:47:15 pm »

Here's another looking forward to seeing this baby finished.

Planting thread monitoring device here ------->   :BoeseSmilies (71):

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:48 am »

so i have finished the bridge and upper saucer area and also reduced the size of the secondary hull slightly

im gonna finish the rest of the secondary hull next and then work on the neck

thanks.

You could chamfer out the edges on the bridge's "steps", to make the transitions from the walls to the top of each of the two decks round, just a small suggestion.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline AsYlUm

• Follow the white rabbit
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 11:49:50 am »
Guys thnk u very much for ur comments and suggestions so far..

i like the bridge idea too adonis.. i'll give it  a slight chamfer... when im done im gonna make a tos style shuttle, with tng features to boot.

thanks. I'll post further progress later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3YBxBlR5E         <-- gagarin video

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:11 pm »
What stype of weapons will you be giving it?

Oh and if you find this helpfull:
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Phaser_strip_tutorial;55648

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 09:53:43 am »
sorry fellas could not post a wip last night, i ended up rebuilding the entire saucer because of a glitch i wasnt happy with... however that meant i got to redesign the impulse engines which was nice ;)

thanks starforce2, i will take a look at that... as for phasers i was planning strips... thought the other original ones would be a little outdated for this particular design..

thanks guys... i'll put a wip up a little later

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 03:29:39 pm »

Hi Guys... i have finished the basic shape of the neck, detail will be added, i.e extrusions where the photon tubes will be and things like that, still got along way to go on the mesh before i start to unwrap and texture it... however the mesh is all one object, and everything is tidy. For the pylons i was thinking traditional 1701a type.... mabey with a slight bend in... but i will look at that later, phaser stripps need to be added.. how many do you think i will need realistickly... im also debating as to where to place the rear phot tubes?

guys again your comments and suggestions are more than welcome.. you as a community have helped shape this into what it is

thanks

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 04:22:57 pm »
Love the saucer redesign and the neck is a great bridge between TMP and TNG. Here's my suggestion for placement (not shape) of the dorsal phaser strips (black lines). The strips would be the normal "arc" and on the secondary hull would follow hull curves. Ventral placement on the saucer would be the same as the dorsal and the same as the TMP E on the secondary hull Also I'd like to suggest narrowing the width of the neck spine by 50% (red lines) and lowering the final end point by 50% so it doesn't look so "thick/high" in the side view

The white circle is the nav becon/sensor, same as the TOS E. For the rear tube I'd place it right under the rear edge of the shuttle deck and make it a single tube not a double like the front.

Other than the beacon this is all inspired by TNG and by the Ent-C
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »
I think it'd look more like a Connie if the saucer rim tapered in on the bottom rather than flared out. Maybe taper the 2ndary hull sooner so the taper starts before the cutout, and slope the sides of the bridge. Just my .02. You, of course, are free to completely ignore everything I've said. 8)
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:45 am »
One more slight thing. The forward of the neck seems to be closer to the deflector on each new class that has the Constitutions setup. The TOS Connie has it like on this one, the TMP Connie's one is pushed more forward, the Ambassadors is even closer and the Galaxy's merges with the Deflector rim structure.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:33 am »
There would be one really cool idea that hasn't been done if you do keep the raised back of the neck at the very bottom... you could do a small set of windows back there and either have an observation deck, or a hanger control deck up there.  :)

Either would look kind of neat.. but then again, pulling the neck down flush at the back would look cleaner.  :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:28:08 pm by atheorhaven »
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:38 pm »
Really nice job Asylum! Thanks for sharing with us.

I'd leave the raised back - it adds a lot of character to the ship and sets it up as a class of its own.

You asked for advice on rear photon torpedoe placement - I'd put it on the underside like WZ's Valiant.

Once again NICE JOB. I can't wait to see her textured and in game.

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 08:24:32 am »
Thanks guys... I like all ur ideas... im gonna have a long play 2nite and see what i come up with .

thanks

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:35 pm »
.. just for the record, I'd have to say that this ship is visually *really* exciting.  It's not complete yet, but I'm already mentally seeing this ship textured and in SFC and flying against some of the other ships in my test install.  :D

The only thing I'll be wondering is what color the deflector is going to be.. I can mentally see all the rest of the ship.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 01:46:07 pm »

pylons complete

ok... so i decided to not bend them, because it looked like it was not a connie then..  i'm gonna leave the saucer the way it is because i tried to taper it the other way and it looked too old.. i want the connie feel but want it too look right along side the ent c etc...   I love the advice regarding the observation lounge or somthing there... that hasnt been done before and really adds to the design so i will build on that idea... photon placement and phaser strips next..

guys thanks for ur input as always, i also moved the neck forward, wasnt aware of the linage neck shift in relation to the dish placement... top tip that

also for anyone interested.. here is why this is taking soo long.... im trying to make this mesh as neat and complete as i can.. at the moment its 100% ;)

thanks atheorhaven...    as for dish colour... i was gona go completely traditional... but im always open for new ideas... i was also thinking about sticking a brown thing in the middle too like the intrepid class has..    but i might make a refit version with stuff like that

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 02:56:57 pm »
Loving it, loving it :D

+1 Karma  :angel:

Yeah, the observation deck above the shuttlebay sounds like a great idea. I think they had something similar on the Sovereign class, behind the main shuttlebay (on the saucer), but none on the aft end of the secondary hull. If your intention is to have a ship that sits along side the Ambassador class, might I suggest something similar to the Yamaguchi's deflector dish?

Adding both deflector variants as attachments for reference
// Darkthunder

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 03:25:02 pm »
Well, if you want the mesh clean, you have a lot of redundant polies. Firstly, you really don't need that much circular segments on the saucer.

Offline F9thDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 03:40:22 pm »
this is looking REAL good. I appluad your modeling skills. Will u be getting this ported to BC?