Topic: TNG Constitution Project  (Read 43308 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: TNG Constitution Project
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »
[
She's looking great. However, one small comment. Perhaps the number of windows on the saucer should be reduced, just a tad. Especially near the impulse engines.

Just a thought.

Why not have windows here?  Im not a techinical buff BTW loll.. and im curious  ;)

ty  ;)

No one wants to be sleeping right next to an impulse engine, especially when they're getting lucky with that cute girl from Astrometrics.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »
The windows seem a tad large to me. Still a damned fine model, tho.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »
The windows seem a tad large to me. Still a damned fine model, tho.

The window size doesn't seem off to me.  Nice way of incorporating TNG design aspects into the ship.  Like I said before, just the number of windows seems a bit high. 

But you're right, damn fine model.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2008, 05:12:31 am »
Unless the ship is half the size of the original you may want to reduce the size of the windows at least 50%. I'm not usually one to go with the windows=size concept but this makes the saucer look one deck high.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2008, 12:59:57 pm »
She's turning out really really good! I like the textures and color (I thought that the blue looked pretty good too.). I'd like to do something texture wise along the same lines. 2x :thumbsup:, man!
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2008, 02:00:17 pm »
.. I think that the main thing here is finding out from Asylum just how large the ship is going to be.

If it's the size of the TMP Connie, then realistically, window size should be roughly the same as you'd see on a p81 or WZ45 mesh and the ship should be scaled roughly the same size.  But if it's a smaller ship (around the size of a Nova), then the current window size would be about right.  If the size of an Ambassador, then the windows are definitely way too large, scaling down to about a third the size would be correct.

Referencing the above photos against studio shots over on Ex Astris Scientia is what's leading me to this conclusion:

The Ambassador page I was looking at:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/ambassador1.htm
.. and the shots I was comparing against..
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/1701c-studio-top.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/other/ambassador-christies.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1111/41557739yf9.jpg

.. and the Nova:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sfvarious1.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/equinox.jpg

*BUT* other than scale, I do love what he's done with the windows.. nothing makes a ship look like a living ship than being able to see "through the windows" and see into the rooms.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline davies78

• Ensign
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:10 am »
Hello all my brother is back at work now for a few weeks.He has told me that the ship is only a little bigger than a nova class ship if that helps :)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2008, 09:25:33 am »
So the half the size guess was pretty close then.

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

imoutosan

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »
hmmmm...i always imagined it to be about the same size as the refit 'connie/constitution II. i guess the smaller size is my only real complaint. still, i'll definitely be looking forward to it. great job!  ;)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2008, 03:36:26 pm »
I hope I don't hurt any feelings or repeat any posts, but, uh... well, it looks like a TNG remake of a Constitution Class looks like an Ambassador Class!

Not that there's anything wrong with that... except redunancy... gets cyclic... check... right.  :P

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2008, 05:55:20 pm »
.. yet, being Asylum's ship.. he can make it the size that he likes.

On the plus side, he's mentioned that I was going to release the PSD files as well.. and if someone wanted to scale up the size, then redoing the windows to match the scale would be easier.  :)

I don't mind seeing the ship smaller, it makes it more ceremonial and more an homage to the history of the Federation.  But, I was also expecting to see the ship larger as well..

imoutosan

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2008, 06:51:30 pm »
don't get me wrong, i'll take it any way i can get it.  ;)
just wasn't expecting it to be smaller.  :P

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2008, 06:58:50 pm »
I hope I don't hurt any feelings or repeat any posts, but, uh... well, it looks like a TNG remake of a Constitution Class looks like an Ambassador Class!

Not that there's anything wrong with that... except redunancy... gets cyclic... check... right.  :P

Makes a change from another Constitution class (or one that looks like one) that looks like a Constitution class though, wouldn't you say? ;)

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:22 am »

Makes sense, they would have been built at roughly the same time with similar materials and techniques. I've always took this to be an Ambassador era ship.

*in cheesy Dr. Evil voice*

I shall call her...Mini C
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2008, 07:52:06 am »
"All I wanted was a frickin' Constitution Class with phasers on, people - is that really that hard to do?"

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2008, 11:27:03 am »
"All I wanted was a frickin' Constitution Class with phasers on, people - is that really that hard to do?"

Give me a mesh and I can do it in roughly 10 minutes.  But the arrays won't be mapped.  You'll need someone else to do that for ya.  MUAHAHAHA!!!!

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2008, 08:19:08 pm »
Yes, I know it is a game but with all the material out there on Star Trek Engineering models can be made pretty accuratily for scales of internal parts. Don't take this as Negitive as I think you did a great job so far and should continue to put the thought you did to the ship. The Windows make or break a model, because they are what gives it the scale.

Lets talk a little bit about scale. The ship well a WIP seemed as if it was going to be a much bigger ship. The Windows you put on it and then the told scale makes some things you did not quite work. Well the ship looks neat the scaling of the various items and placement on the hull now don't fit so well. Looking at the model it looks like the winows are about 2-2.5 meters tall. So I will call the average deck height about 3 meters which is good and will give no closed in feelings from anyone inside. It also means that escape pods are about 2.5 cubic meters or about 5 persons per pod, so based on that the reall max crew is about 110. Most actually all of that will be in the saucer section, as the lower hull will have to be almost all support areas. This means they will all be packed in tightly like on a Current Ohio Class Sub, or you will need less pods based on how many crew you want to carry, say about 60-80. Also it looks like you used the same window cover for all the windows without thinking about how the shape of the hull might effect there placement or appearent hieght.

So starting with Pic1 The top View
For a couple of Meters to any side of Thrusters and Engines you need room for Fuel Piping work space and a manual control room. So removing the windows from those areas helps for there to cover for that. Also since there will have to be fuel storage there The escape pods should be moved outside of the area as well as quarter area, Plus who wants to sleep near a noisy thruster. The next thing you will have to do if remove some windows for walls, bathrooms etc. So there are somethings to rethink in the placement of items here when you start to make smaller ships.

The Next one Pic2
The windows on the sloped top and bottom apear to have about a ceiling of 1.5 meters to small for a normal person to stand in, so unless they are skylights they should probably just be removed. Actually all things considered the upper half of the lower hull probably is all engineering ,and shuttle maintence, storage, etc, and probably should not have windows at all. The lower hull looks to be about 17-22 meters at the thickest section based on winow size. Now Windows on the lower half of this hull makes sense as this woulod probably be the only Rec area on the ship (no Windows would means storage, and longer missions) So escape pods on the side to bottom also make sense. The ones on the top of the lowere hull look to have very little clearance now about 3.5 x their hieght, which would make them difficult to manuver away from the ship in a hurry.

The Last one Pic3
This is just about the bridge area the 3 top structures on the saucer. With the scale you chose the upper most area the dome can only be a sensor dome. The next one down can be the bridge area and would extend into the layer below it, in the center part. The lowest one the one that actually touches the saucer looks to be about 1.2-1.8 meters tall. This limites it to being ducting and support equipment for the bridge, once again because it is not tall enough to stand in.

There is more but I think this is enough to get you thinking about it.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »
Some good points there GAFY...

Also, just was playing around in PSP and tried to fit some squares to current window size, and also what would fit on the bridge.. (because people need to go up there as well).

To make them fit there, I had to size the windows at 2, as compared to the current windows size of 15.  I'll attach an image to show what I mean..

Asylum, I know that you  realize that we all want this ship to be the best that it can be.. which is why we're offering the feedback.. :)

imoutosan

« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2008, 10:33:15 pm »
 i wouldn't mind having both the textures for the original style windows as well as the scaled for to decks idea.
 i was originally thinking she was gonna be roughly the same size as the refit connie. the 2 deck version would
 fit that scale better. but as i said i'll take her however she turns out.  ;)

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2008, 08:11:39 am »
I agree with all the comments here.  Even though I didn't think more about window size, it makes perfect sense.  I still say however that the number of windows should still be reduced a bit.