Topic: Daedalus class Re-imagined  (Read 23381 times)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
Re: Daedalus class Re-imagined
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 09:36:32 am »
Couldn't Impulse Engines cause "turbulences" or something?
Don't you need atmosphere for turbulence? Unless the shuttle flies directly in front of the vent or something how would the "??thrust??"  affect it?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 10:33:18 pm »
Why would the thrusters be on anyway?  I imagine the intention would be to use shuttles only when the ship is in orbit or docked.  They probably didn't think there would be many situations where the shuttle would be used while the ship is moving.  If the impulse thrusters are firing, the shuttle might have a hard time catching up.  Maybe a couple of incidents with this design forced them to consider moving the thrusters to the primary hull.

Are you going to model the laser turrets?  That's one of my favorite features in the diagram.  It always bothered me that the Daedalus had no visible weapons, if it was built as a battleship in the Earth-Romulan war.  What are the dark yellow things around the center of the sphere?

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
great job bringing this ship togethor. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:08:05 am »
 first: i like the model, look cool

two: where is the torpedo tube on that ship?, i can find it

tree: if a shuttle craft hit the impulse engine during the return to the ship that would be very bad :)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 12:55:38 am »
two: where is the torpedo tube on that ship?, i can find it

On the front view it's the two black spots right above the bottom two phaser turrets. On the rear they're probably below the phasers beneath the shuttlebay. Actually the spots beneath the shuttlebay might be the torpedo tubes since the port and starboard phaser emitters are the "rear" ones.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:33 pm »
this is as far as i go until the new year... its sitting around 10k (its the bloody sphere... arg) and thats w/o more details...  I'm expecting the final product to be between 8 and 10k (i hope)

Should not be a problem if you wish to reduce the polys, but it would mean rebuilding the model. The Front Sphere details on the bottom can be done with textures as well as the neck and engines circles that should save you about a third of the polys you were look at already.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 02:18:43 pm »
not really, the details related to the sphere are mainly due to the fact its has 32 iterations, making it close 5 k on its own.   I'm going to reduce it to 24 when i get back, should drop 2k off.  prolly do the same thing to the naccels (secondary hull i don't intend to rebuild)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:47 pm »
what is on top between the warp pylon, the black rectangle with the dot that look like drone rack?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 02:11:52 pm »
what is on top between the warp pylon, the black rectangle with the dot that look like drone rack?
Based on location I'd guess matter/antimatter storage tank access ports.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 02:34:34 pm »
A shuttle coming in to land would not be travelling very fast, maybe a few metres per second. Also the Impuls vents would have some armouring to resist hostile weapons fire plus the pressures exerted by the several billion tons of particle and Helium thrust generated at maximum power output. An impact with a shttle craft would be like a bug hitting a wind shield by comparison!! ;D

I think that the model would be better suited as a test bed conversion set in the first couple of decades of the Federation, maybe around 2270, just before the Moskova entered service. The ship could be a prototype refit test bed for new technology, hull designs, systems, etc. before the Moskova even hits the drawing boards.

There are supposed to be 50 Daedalus Class cruisers built, 25 by the UN before the UFP formed and another 25 built afterwards as warships by the UFP. This could also be put forward as the warship version, as the UN built ships were the exploration versions.

As only the exploration version has been mentioned canon and the mention of two different versions exists in fanon, so I'd put it as the UFP built warship version built in the 2260's, with all the input from the various UFP member race's best star ship designers and engineers.

I'd label it a Daedalus Mk.II., a refitted Daedalus as with the TMP Enterprise was a refitted Constutiion.

As for weapons back in 2260, weren't all retractable cannon types back then?? All would be hidden in bays behind armoured gun ports.

The UFP warship Daedalus is listed as carrying missiles and torpedoes, on top of the retractable light energy based weapons such as Phase Cannons, Lasers, etc.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:45 pm »
I'm not a fan of this design, but your model rocks!

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 12:12:30 am »
I'm not a fan of this design, but your model rocks!

Agreed.  :thumbsup:

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:47 pm »
thanks fellas, as i said there won't be any work until the new year.  I'm home on leave for the  next 3 weeks and when i get back on the 6th i'll be moving rooms.  If everything goes smoothly i'll get some more work done on this, on the taggart... of course that will take place after i finish the soul wolf... two years is a record for workin on 1 model ;) lol
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 07:42:53 pm »
how come a ship from early ufp have torpedo and a late asian class not having torpedo but drone?

seem that torpedo do more damage no?

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:06 am »
1 word "Enterprise"

So does that mean you prefer the "Enterpise" on the show, or this model instead?   :huh:

I did like the sets, uniforms, setttings of ST: Enterprise, but I think I prefer this design more then the "Akiraprise".
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 06:43:15 am »
i never fully like st enterprise, the fact that they have a transporter room that early was just not very good.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 08:56:46 am »
i never fully like st enterprise, the fact that they have a transporter room that early was just not very good.

An experimental transporter at best.
// Darkthunder

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 11:56:52 am »
The use of a Transporter to beam humans and other lifeforms, in ENT, directly clashed with the TNG episode where Geordi gave the exact date of the first successful lifeform transport using a Transporter by more than 60 yrears!!

Tranporters for other than inanimate objects, Phasers, etc. made ENT seem like it occupied a totally different timeline to TOS and TNG!!

At least the writers remembered to use Attomic Fusion Missiles, thus keeping with the TOS description of the Romulan War beng fought with "Primitive Attomic Weapons".

ENT is set only a few years before the Romulan War starts. Perhaps they'll address this key period in Trekdom history eventually.

At the end of ENT Star Fleet has progressed to Photonic Missiles, which are basically identical to the slow speed Drones in SFB and SFC. At least the writers managed to do something right!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 12:06:09 pm »
.. well hey, there's always an option here.. wait a while and then do a "Remastered" version of Enterprise with all the effects shots redone with a ship that will actually *fit* the timeline.  :)

If you guys were to do a ship that'd fit into the timeline that Enterprise was supposed to fit into, what would the ship look like?

We'd be talking pre-Daedalus here, correct?  Maybe still something that shows the Phoenix heritage?  Or something with a full sphere primary hull, but more of a slender "rocket-like" secondary hull (again homage back to the Phoenix)?

I know that I have an idea in mind on how that'd look...

(edit:  did up a rough picture edit to give an idea of how *I* would think that you'd more logically see Enterprise in a series that stayed more true to canon designs.. in this case, this'd be NX-02 Columbia).

(ps: please note that I never said that it's pretty, but I think this design is closer to what you'd see than the Akiraprise)..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:28:16 pm by atheorhaven »
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »

If you guys were to do a ship that'd fit into the timeline that Enterprise was supposed to fit into, what would the ship look like?

We'd be talking pre-Daedalus here, correct?  Maybe still something that shows the Phoenix heritage?  Or something with a full sphere primary hull, but more of a slender "rocket-like" secondary hull (again homage back to the Phoenix)?

I know that I have an idea in mind on how that'd look...

Well, that is why I like this design over the "Akiraprise".  It has basic roots to a Deadalus that we have seen refrenced in TNG/DS9 (actually, looks a little better really) yet still has some design features that are clearly from the ST: Enterprise show.  The "Akiraprise", unfortunetly, looked like it was a kitbash of different Star Trek Models put together in hopes of making a "cool ship".  Hopefully, Paramont has learned to keep this in mind when designing any Star Trek ships, not the "cool ship" approach, but rather that trying to design a "cool ship" can sometimes backfire. 

Yes, ST: Enterprise clearly had some problems with continuity compared to the other Star Trek shows, but this is part of the problem with Pre-quels.  You really have to know what you are doing and its hard to stay consistant if you have different writers each episode.  In ST: Enterprise's first few season, I kinda looked at it as a whole other Timeline/Universe (kinda like Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica Series) but Manning Coto took over most of the writing in the Fourth season to get ST: Enterprise close to consistancy with the other Star Trek shows.  He didn't do too bad of a job considering a lot of the Eps in the show contradicted things in the other shows. 

atheorhaven, I notice the new pic of your interpretation of what the NX-01 and NX-02 should have looked like (or something similar).  I like the design and agree, Paramont should have made a design like that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:40:31 pm by Magnum357 »
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)