Topic: Daedalus class Re-imagined  (Read 23400 times)

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Re: Daedalus class Re-imagined
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
Bump for update. I saw that Tus had been on and posting so he's at least around again :P
// Darkthunder

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:17 pm »
No update for a bit, moving rooms, probably will work on this and the SW this weekend, time allowing
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 05:22:34 pm »
To correct DonKarnage, the Asia Class carries both Photons and Missiles and 8 fighters (F4??) , due to the technology of the time.

It seems to be the thing with Star Trek props model makers to just rehash an existing ship model and this goes back to seeing the SS Botany Bay used as an unmannde interplanetary ore carrier in the TOS Episode "The Ultimate Computer".

I think with ENT it was a case of, "We'll just rehash the Akira model and use that to save a few bob.... the viewers won't notice a thing!!"

If you consider that pre-warp Earth space flight, which would have been interplanetary using Chemical Thristers, Particle Thrusters, Ion, Fission (DY-100), Fusion, Sub Atomic Impulse Power (to give it the full name), etc.

These sub-light ships and craft would be balistically shaped with aromured noses or shields to cope with dust and meteorite hits due to the semi and near relaivistic speeds that they attain.

The early starships, such as the "SS Bonaventure" and "SS Valiant", would have had shipwrights drawing on sublight ship knowledge and building skills to design warp powered starships.

It isn't too far to imagine that a logical experimental Warp Drive development step would have been to strap Warp Drive onto a DY-100 for longer duration test flights. The "Pheonix" was obviously even less suited to duration space travel of more than a few hours, due to the obvious lack of toilet facilities and other amenities.

The Warp Core was probally Anti-Matter spiked Fusion powered, so of limited range.

In TAS the "SS Boneventure" is supposed to be the first Warp Drive star ship, which some idiots think means the original Warp Drive ship, which is a wrong assumption.

The "Pheonix" is a "Craft", not a ship. There is a big difference between a ship and a craft in nautical terms.

The thing is I would expect commercial space ship builders to initially convert some of the existing sublight and maybe Fusion powered interplanetary ships and craft to Warp Drive, mainly to tap the new matket of inter-stellar commerce.

This means that there was obviously a logical progression of commercial starships before the "J-Class" appeared in the beginning of the 2100's, starting with the "A-Class" obviously of course. Now there's something to speculate, develop and model. ;D

The "Edison Class" shown by Data in the TNG Episode "Mariposa" (the ship in the story line) is a typical example of an early DY-100 derived commercial starship line as it retains all the features of earlier DY type ships.

Anyone else spot that it was the "Edison Class" star survey ship from "The Space Flight Chronology" book??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
here the info of the asia class:

Complement: 280 (40 officers + 240 crew), up to 100 visiting scientists or 150 ground troops
Weapons: 4 phaser arrays, 4 missile tubes with a total of 32 fusion and matter/antimatter missiles
Embarked craft: 8 FA-77 transatmo fighter-bombers, 3 SG-19 heavy shuttlecraft, 4 medium personnel shuttlecraft
Velocity: Warp 4.2, standard; Warp 5.1, maximum

so the fusion missile are the torpedo?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
I think with ENT it was a case of, "We'll just rehash the Akira model and use that to save a few bob.... the viewers won't notice a thing!!"

More a case of, "Hey that Akira in First Contact was really cool, lets base the new ship off that, the viewers will love it."
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:27 am »
Definition of a Missile is a projectile that accelerates and propells itself towards a target from its launch point.

A Torpedo is a Missile that is accelerated from the launch point (it is fired out of a tube like a shell!!) and then propells itself towards the target.

A Shell is simple fired on a balistic trajectory towards the target from the launch point. It cannot modify its course as it has no means of self propulsion.

A Photon Torpedo has a Anti-Photon warhead.

A Fusion Torpedo has a Nuclear Fusion warhead, which would be the "Crude Atomic Weapons" that Spock descibed as being used during the Earth - Romulan War of 2158 - 2161.

A Fisson Torpedo would have an even cruder Atomic Fisson warhead, which is lower yield but simpler to produce.

A Torpedo's propulsion method determines its effectiveness as a weapon.

Oddly enough, a current compressed air proplelled Whitehead type torpedo would work in space, as the compressed air would still propel it towards a target.

In ENT the methods used is clearly chemical thruster. Speed woul be less than 1 in SFC or SFB.

By TOS Torpedoes are capable of basic Warp Speeds and by TMP Warp 4 is possible.

Somewhere in between ENT and TOS Torpedoes would have moved through Fusion Torch and Impulse Power, both allowing for near light speeds to be attained.

Also the fitment of shielding to Torpedoes to deflect target point defence and counter measures, plus help burrow through shields, appeared.

ENT period Torpedoes wouldn't be able to damage a freighter by TOS, yet alone a warship.

By TOS, Missiles have progress into small robot sucide weapons with sophistiated computer guidance, refered to as Drones and propelled by Impulse Power.

It's a pity nobody has created a history of the evolution of the Missile and Torpedo from ENT to TNG.

I run the Asia in SFC 1 with Ph2 and Drone A plus 8 x Patrol Fighters, though only F14 are available as the earliest Fed fighters at present. Anyone fancy doing the F4?? I have pictures from SFB!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:10 am »
To correct DonKarnage, the Asia Class carries both Photons and Missiles and 8 fighters (F4??) , due to the technology of the time.

but the official data for the asia not mentioning Photons, only Missiles or something similar.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:43 am »
It depends what stage of the Asia's service life the data is for.... by TOS it had an AWALT torpedo launcher fitted, in pre-TOS it didn't and in TMP the only two surviving Asia's were refitted with LN60 Warp Nachelles as a precursor to the whole fleet TMP LN64 refit.

Nobody has modeled the just prior ot TMP Asia Class yet. This is the nicest verson of the ship.

The Eclipse Class uses the same basic saucer, so how come nobody has modelled this other Asia period starship??

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 11:37:28 am »
i know that the asia was refit, i think someone made a model tmp version but it was not good, it would be great if someone made it

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 01:40:27 pm »
I had a go at the Eclipse Class light cruiser, using the Asia saucer and engines but couldn't find any decent pictures or images of the aft hangar module that gave any details from the angles I wanted.

I quite like the later TMP Asia's engines.

They do make good anti-oiracy patrol vessel, having fighters, Drones, etc. which is what I generally use the Asia for in TOS game scenarios. One of my favourite starships to play as Feds in a game.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
Bump for an update. Had to dig this thread out of mothballs :P
// Darkthunder

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 12:43:05 am »
Not to rehijack this thread, DT, but as long as we are going on about the "akiraprise" - I must post the ship that I feel the NX-01 should have been:

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 12:47:07 am »
Yes, I love that NX-01 with an endless passion...oops...need a tissue.  :-[

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:09 am »
Not to rehijack this thread, DT, but as long as we are going on about the "akiraprise" - I must post the ship that I feel the NX-01 should have been:

Yes that one looks a lot better than the Akiraprise that became the official NX01. Perhaps you feel up to modelling that version? :P
// Darkthunder

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2008, 07:36:13 am »
Sweet work mate!
And I love this idea too :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »
Modeling finally done... ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 12:30:43 am »
Hellooo F-CL :)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 06:59:46 am »
*drools and has an accident*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:58 am »
I look forward to this model very much.  This is what the NX-01 should have been.   ;)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 04:47:10 pm »
O ya, forgot to mention... it'll be about 6 weeks before i actually can release this thing... forgot to install photo shop onto my laptop which means no textures....  o well
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"