Topic: Daedalus class Re-imagined  (Read 23394 times)

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Daedalus class Re-imagined
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:31 pm »
The author Aethernaut from Scifi-Meshes has designed a really cool looking version of the Daedalus class of Star Trek. No 3D model is available as of yet, but he has given permission for modellers to create a 3D or Game model of the ship so long as he is given credits for the design.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/36316-daedalus-class-rewritten.html

And as there are a number of excellent modellers in this community, I was hoping someone would be willing to take this project up :D
// Darkthunder

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
Re: Daedalus class Re-imagined
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:33:55 am »
sorry no modeeling for this here but the original Daedalus looks better, this looks to advanced and more from the NX-Ent era design line

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:54 am »
Love it. I'd like to see some side by sides of the original design and this one.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:01 am »
I rather like the visible weapons and thrusters, as well as the deflector dish.  The back end doesn't look right to me.  I think the original simple cylinder might be better, to convey the primitive feel.  This looks like a successor to the Daedalus.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:50 am »
perhaps if this was done but more in the style of that connie from the calender a while back (it was also in a video) then it would look older but without looking nx-ified?

The backend looks fine to me. While the original deadalus may look more primitive, this looks more "realisticly spaceworthy" than the 60's version. One could argue this was the military version versus the simplistic and unarmed science version.

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:20:48 am »
I agree that this model looks to have been reimagined using NX design cues. Still, I like the overall design with the exception of the placement of the impulse thrusters (if that is what they are) at the aft end of the secondary hull. They should be placed on the primary hull, just like most other Fed ships.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
I agree that this model looks to have been reimagined using NX design cues. Still, I like the overall design with the exception of the placement of the impulse thrusters (if that is what they are) at the aft end of the secondary hull. They should be placed on the primary hull, just like most other Fed ships.

It's funny that so many are against the idea of having the impulse engines located in the rear of the ship. The Intrepid class had the very same style in that its impulse engines were located on the pylons, with no engines on the stardrive or saucer area.
// Darkthunder

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
It it actually makes more sense that early designs like the Daedalus would have all it's propuslion units on the secondary hull. It simply has more internal space for the units. The vents themselves are the smallest part of the unit and the primary hull sphere is a really poor place to house the reactors as you'd likely lose half to a full deck or more of usuable space.

Making the vents themselves less prominent maybe flush on the secondary hull would be a decent compromise.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:35 pm »
Or put impulse in both places. The enterprise C and D had them on the drive section, the secondary drives were only used for saucer sep and infact the C didn't even have those. Really there seems to be no rhyme or rythm from class to class where they'll be. Again, it could be a difference between the science version (classic deadalus) and the more advnaced military version.

Here, this is the construction style I was refering to rather than NX-ification of everything:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163376572.0.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:34:49 pm by Starforce2 »

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:23:53 pm »
Well...I like it.
Nicely done mate.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 01:53:42 pm »
I love it. Good reimagining of the design. My only recommendation to the creator would be to restore the cylindrical shape of the secondary hull. Otherwise, it's a beautiful ship
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »
*whistles*
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:20:47 pm »
Great work so far Tus

Keep it up
 :) :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:35 pm »
this is as far as i go until the new year... its sitting around 10k (its the bloody sphere... arg) and thats w/o more details...  I'm expecting the final product to be between 8 and 10k (i hope)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 03:53:04 am »
I like this re-imagined design a lot.  I would have prefer this ship much more for Star Trek Enterprise TV show.  It just looks more like what a Starfleet vessel would look like in this time period and looks more functional then that NX model.

My only one complaint would be the overall size of the ship.  With the crew compliment, Its kinda hard to imagine that this ship is only 138 Meters long.  May I suggest to TUS to increase the size of the ship to 10 or 15%?  138 meters X 115% = 159 meters in length, that about half the size of a Constitution.  Also, the Impulse Engines might be a bit of a problem.  Not that having them installed on the Secondary hull is bad, but they are so close to the shuttle bay (I assume they are right next to the shuttle bay, the Schematics make it look like its part of the shuttle bay doors).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:07:41 pm by Magnum357 »
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:21:19 am »
I don't have anything against the NX Enterprise, but I would have prefered a design like this. Or even earlier. Nice work Tus. She's gonna look real nice when she's done.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:11:35 pm »
eh... so i did more work on it...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:19 pm »
Having the impulse engines located there on the 3D model looks pretty good actually. Don't see what all the fuss is about by having them "close to the shuttlebay" :P

Awesome work there Tus.
// Darkthunder

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 02:17:18 am »
Yes, the model is coming out very nice TUS.   :)  I just agree with a few that the placement of the Impulse engines so close to the Shuttle bay doors might present a problem with incoming/outgoing shuttle craft.  Couldn't Impulse Engines cause "turbulances" or something?  The Engines look neat on the secondary hull, but I'm just saying they might present a problem with functionality of the design.

Also, I still think the Ship needs to be increased by about 10 or 15% in size.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 08:49:02 am »
eh, not my choice to change the model... i didn't design it ;)  plus if there are issues for shuttles you can always turn the engines off when ya need launch or land one ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 09:36:32 am »
Couldn't Impulse Engines cause "turbulences" or something?
Don't you need atmosphere for turbulence? Unless the shuttle flies directly in front of the vent or something how would the "??thrust??"  affect it?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 10:33:18 pm »
Why would the thrusters be on anyway?  I imagine the intention would be to use shuttles only when the ship is in orbit or docked.  They probably didn't think there would be many situations where the shuttle would be used while the ship is moving.  If the impulse thrusters are firing, the shuttle might have a hard time catching up.  Maybe a couple of incidents with this design forced them to consider moving the thrusters to the primary hull.

Are you going to model the laser turrets?  That's one of my favorite features in the diagram.  It always bothered me that the Daedalus had no visible weapons, if it was built as a battleship in the Earth-Romulan war.  What are the dark yellow things around the center of the sphere?

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 04:59:34 pm »
great job bringing this ship togethor. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:08:05 am »
 first: i like the model, look cool

two: where is the torpedo tube on that ship?, i can find it

tree: if a shuttle craft hit the impulse engine during the return to the ship that would be very bad :)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 12:55:38 am »
two: where is the torpedo tube on that ship?, i can find it

On the front view it's the two black spots right above the bottom two phaser turrets. On the rear they're probably below the phasers beneath the shuttlebay. Actually the spots beneath the shuttlebay might be the torpedo tubes since the port and starboard phaser emitters are the "rear" ones.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:33 pm »
this is as far as i go until the new year... its sitting around 10k (its the bloody sphere... arg) and thats w/o more details...  I'm expecting the final product to be between 8 and 10k (i hope)

Should not be a problem if you wish to reduce the polys, but it would mean rebuilding the model. The Front Sphere details on the bottom can be done with textures as well as the neck and engines circles that should save you about a third of the polys you were look at already.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 02:18:43 pm »
not really, the details related to the sphere are mainly due to the fact its has 32 iterations, making it close 5 k on its own.   I'm going to reduce it to 24 when i get back, should drop 2k off.  prolly do the same thing to the naccels (secondary hull i don't intend to rebuild)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 12:00:47 pm »
what is on top between the warp pylon, the black rectangle with the dot that look like drone rack?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 02:11:52 pm »
what is on top between the warp pylon, the black rectangle with the dot that look like drone rack?
Based on location I'd guess matter/antimatter storage tank access ports.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 02:34:34 pm »
A shuttle coming in to land would not be travelling very fast, maybe a few metres per second. Also the Impuls vents would have some armouring to resist hostile weapons fire plus the pressures exerted by the several billion tons of particle and Helium thrust generated at maximum power output. An impact with a shttle craft would be like a bug hitting a wind shield by comparison!! ;D

I think that the model would be better suited as a test bed conversion set in the first couple of decades of the Federation, maybe around 2270, just before the Moskova entered service. The ship could be a prototype refit test bed for new technology, hull designs, systems, etc. before the Moskova even hits the drawing boards.

There are supposed to be 50 Daedalus Class cruisers built, 25 by the UN before the UFP formed and another 25 built afterwards as warships by the UFP. This could also be put forward as the warship version, as the UN built ships were the exploration versions.

As only the exploration version has been mentioned canon and the mention of two different versions exists in fanon, so I'd put it as the UFP built warship version built in the 2260's, with all the input from the various UFP member race's best star ship designers and engineers.

I'd label it a Daedalus Mk.II., a refitted Daedalus as with the TMP Enterprise was a refitted Constutiion.

As for weapons back in 2260, weren't all retractable cannon types back then?? All would be hidden in bays behind armoured gun ports.

The UFP warship Daedalus is listed as carrying missiles and torpedoes, on top of the retractable light energy based weapons such as Phase Cannons, Lasers, etc.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:45 pm »
I'm not a fan of this design, but your model rocks!

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 12:12:30 am »
I'm not a fan of this design, but your model rocks!

Agreed.  :thumbsup:

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:47 pm »
thanks fellas, as i said there won't be any work until the new year.  I'm home on leave for the  next 3 weeks and when i get back on the 6th i'll be moving rooms.  If everything goes smoothly i'll get some more work done on this, on the taggart... of course that will take place after i finish the soul wolf... two years is a record for workin on 1 model ;) lol
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 07:42:53 pm »
how come a ship from early ufp have torpedo and a late asian class not having torpedo but drone?

seem that torpedo do more damage no?

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:06 am »
1 word "Enterprise"

So does that mean you prefer the "Enterpise" on the show, or this model instead?   :huh:

I did like the sets, uniforms, setttings of ST: Enterprise, but I think I prefer this design more then the "Akiraprise".

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 06:43:15 am »
i never fully like st enterprise, the fact that they have a transporter room that early was just not very good.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 08:56:46 am »
i never fully like st enterprise, the fact that they have a transporter room that early was just not very good.

An experimental transporter at best.
// Darkthunder

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 11:56:52 am »
The use of a Transporter to beam humans and other lifeforms, in ENT, directly clashed with the TNG episode where Geordi gave the exact date of the first successful lifeform transport using a Transporter by more than 60 yrears!!

Tranporters for other than inanimate objects, Phasers, etc. made ENT seem like it occupied a totally different timeline to TOS and TNG!!

At least the writers remembered to use Attomic Fusion Missiles, thus keeping with the TOS description of the Romulan War beng fought with "Primitive Attomic Weapons".

ENT is set only a few years before the Romulan War starts. Perhaps they'll address this key period in Trekdom history eventually.

At the end of ENT Star Fleet has progressed to Photonic Missiles, which are basically identical to the slow speed Drones in SFB and SFC. At least the writers managed to do something right!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 12:06:09 pm »
.. well hey, there's always an option here.. wait a while and then do a "Remastered" version of Enterprise with all the effects shots redone with a ship that will actually *fit* the timeline.  :)

If you guys were to do a ship that'd fit into the timeline that Enterprise was supposed to fit into, what would the ship look like?

We'd be talking pre-Daedalus here, correct?  Maybe still something that shows the Phoenix heritage?  Or something with a full sphere primary hull, but more of a slender "rocket-like" secondary hull (again homage back to the Phoenix)?

I know that I have an idea in mind on how that'd look...

(edit:  did up a rough picture edit to give an idea of how *I* would think that you'd more logically see Enterprise in a series that stayed more true to canon designs.. in this case, this'd be NX-02 Columbia).

(ps: please note that I never said that it's pretty, but I think this design is closer to what you'd see than the Akiraprise)..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:28:16 pm by atheorhaven »
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »

If you guys were to do a ship that'd fit into the timeline that Enterprise was supposed to fit into, what would the ship look like?

We'd be talking pre-Daedalus here, correct?  Maybe still something that shows the Phoenix heritage?  Or something with a full sphere primary hull, but more of a slender "rocket-like" secondary hull (again homage back to the Phoenix)?

I know that I have an idea in mind on how that'd look...

Well, that is why I like this design over the "Akiraprise".  It has basic roots to a Deadalus that we have seen refrenced in TNG/DS9 (actually, looks a little better really) yet still has some design features that are clearly from the ST: Enterprise show.  The "Akiraprise", unfortunetly, looked like it was a kitbash of different Star Trek Models put together in hopes of making a "cool ship".  Hopefully, Paramont has learned to keep this in mind when designing any Star Trek ships, not the "cool ship" approach, but rather that trying to design a "cool ship" can sometimes backfire. 

Yes, ST: Enterprise clearly had some problems with continuity compared to the other Star Trek shows, but this is part of the problem with Pre-quels.  You really have to know what you are doing and its hard to stay consistant if you have different writers each episode.  In ST: Enterprise's first few season, I kinda looked at it as a whole other Timeline/Universe (kinda like Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica Series) but Manning Coto took over most of the writing in the Fourth season to get ST: Enterprise close to consistancy with the other Star Trek shows.  He didn't do too bad of a job considering a lot of the Eps in the show contradicted things in the other shows. 

atheorhaven, I notice the new pic of your interpretation of what the NX-01 and NX-02 should have looked like (or something similar).  I like the design and agree, Paramont should have made a design like that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:40:31 pm by Magnum357 »

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
Bump for update. I saw that Tus had been on and posting so he's at least around again :P
// Darkthunder

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:17 pm »
No update for a bit, moving rooms, probably will work on this and the SW this weekend, time allowing
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 05:22:34 pm »
To correct DonKarnage, the Asia Class carries both Photons and Missiles and 8 fighters (F4??) , due to the technology of the time.

It seems to be the thing with Star Trek props model makers to just rehash an existing ship model and this goes back to seeing the SS Botany Bay used as an unmannde interplanetary ore carrier in the TOS Episode "The Ultimate Computer".

I think with ENT it was a case of, "We'll just rehash the Akira model and use that to save a few bob.... the viewers won't notice a thing!!"

If you consider that pre-warp Earth space flight, which would have been interplanetary using Chemical Thristers, Particle Thrusters, Ion, Fission (DY-100), Fusion, Sub Atomic Impulse Power (to give it the full name), etc.

These sub-light ships and craft would be balistically shaped with aromured noses or shields to cope with dust and meteorite hits due to the semi and near relaivistic speeds that they attain.

The early starships, such as the "SS Bonaventure" and "SS Valiant", would have had shipwrights drawing on sublight ship knowledge and building skills to design warp powered starships.

It isn't too far to imagine that a logical experimental Warp Drive development step would have been to strap Warp Drive onto a DY-100 for longer duration test flights. The "Pheonix" was obviously even less suited to duration space travel of more than a few hours, due to the obvious lack of toilet facilities and other amenities.

The Warp Core was probally Anti-Matter spiked Fusion powered, so of limited range.

In TAS the "SS Boneventure" is supposed to be the first Warp Drive star ship, which some idiots think means the original Warp Drive ship, which is a wrong assumption.

The "Pheonix" is a "Craft", not a ship. There is a big difference between a ship and a craft in nautical terms.

The thing is I would expect commercial space ship builders to initially convert some of the existing sublight and maybe Fusion powered interplanetary ships and craft to Warp Drive, mainly to tap the new matket of inter-stellar commerce.

This means that there was obviously a logical progression of commercial starships before the "J-Class" appeared in the beginning of the 2100's, starting with the "A-Class" obviously of course. Now there's something to speculate, develop and model. ;D

The "Edison Class" shown by Data in the TNG Episode "Mariposa" (the ship in the story line) is a typical example of an early DY-100 derived commercial starship line as it retains all the features of earlier DY type ships.

Anyone else spot that it was the "Edison Class" star survey ship from "The Space Flight Chronology" book??

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
here the info of the asia class:

Complement: 280 (40 officers + 240 crew), up to 100 visiting scientists or 150 ground troops
Weapons: 4 phaser arrays, 4 missile tubes with a total of 32 fusion and matter/antimatter missiles
Embarked craft: 8 FA-77 transatmo fighter-bombers, 3 SG-19 heavy shuttlecraft, 4 medium personnel shuttlecraft
Velocity: Warp 4.2, standard; Warp 5.1, maximum

so the fusion missile are the torpedo?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
I think with ENT it was a case of, "We'll just rehash the Akira model and use that to save a few bob.... the viewers won't notice a thing!!"

More a case of, "Hey that Akira in First Contact was really cool, lets base the new ship off that, the viewers will love it."
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:27 am »
Definition of a Missile is a projectile that accelerates and propells itself towards a target from its launch point.

A Torpedo is a Missile that is accelerated from the launch point (it is fired out of a tube like a shell!!) and then propells itself towards the target.

A Shell is simple fired on a balistic trajectory towards the target from the launch point. It cannot modify its course as it has no means of self propulsion.

A Photon Torpedo has a Anti-Photon warhead.

A Fusion Torpedo has a Nuclear Fusion warhead, which would be the "Crude Atomic Weapons" that Spock descibed as being used during the Earth - Romulan War of 2158 - 2161.

A Fisson Torpedo would have an even cruder Atomic Fisson warhead, which is lower yield but simpler to produce.

A Torpedo's propulsion method determines its effectiveness as a weapon.

Oddly enough, a current compressed air proplelled Whitehead type torpedo would work in space, as the compressed air would still propel it towards a target.

In ENT the methods used is clearly chemical thruster. Speed woul be less than 1 in SFC or SFB.

By TOS Torpedoes are capable of basic Warp Speeds and by TMP Warp 4 is possible.

Somewhere in between ENT and TOS Torpedoes would have moved through Fusion Torch and Impulse Power, both allowing for near light speeds to be attained.

Also the fitment of shielding to Torpedoes to deflect target point defence and counter measures, plus help burrow through shields, appeared.

ENT period Torpedoes wouldn't be able to damage a freighter by TOS, yet alone a warship.

By TOS, Missiles have progress into small robot sucide weapons with sophistiated computer guidance, refered to as Drones and propelled by Impulse Power.

It's a pity nobody has created a history of the evolution of the Missile and Torpedo from ENT to TNG.

I run the Asia in SFC 1 with Ph2 and Drone A plus 8 x Patrol Fighters, though only F14 are available as the earliest Fed fighters at present. Anyone fancy doing the F4?? I have pictures from SFB!!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:10 am »
To correct DonKarnage, the Asia Class carries both Photons and Missiles and 8 fighters (F4??) , due to the technology of the time.

but the official data for the asia not mentioning Photons, only Missiles or something similar.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:43 am »
It depends what stage of the Asia's service life the data is for.... by TOS it had an AWALT torpedo launcher fitted, in pre-TOS it didn't and in TMP the only two surviving Asia's were refitted with LN60 Warp Nachelles as a precursor to the whole fleet TMP LN64 refit.

Nobody has modeled the just prior ot TMP Asia Class yet. This is the nicest verson of the ship.

The Eclipse Class uses the same basic saucer, so how come nobody has modelled this other Asia period starship??

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 11:37:28 am »
i know that the asia was refit, i think someone made a model tmp version but it was not good, it would be great if someone made it

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 01:40:27 pm »
I had a go at the Eclipse Class light cruiser, using the Asia saucer and engines but couldn't find any decent pictures or images of the aft hangar module that gave any details from the angles I wanted.

I quite like the later TMP Asia's engines.

They do make good anti-oiracy patrol vessel, having fighters, Drones, etc. which is what I generally use the Asia for in TOS game scenarios. One of my favourite starships to play as Feds in a game.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
Bump for an update. Had to dig this thread out of mothballs :P
// Darkthunder

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 12:43:05 am »
Not to rehijack this thread, DT, but as long as we are going on about the "akiraprise" - I must post the ship that I feel the NX-01 should have been:

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 12:47:07 am »
Yes, I love that NX-01 with an endless passion...oops...need a tissue.  :-[

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:09 am »
Not to rehijack this thread, DT, but as long as we are going on about the "akiraprise" - I must post the ship that I feel the NX-01 should have been:

Yes that one looks a lot better than the Akiraprise that became the official NX01. Perhaps you feel up to modelling that version? :P
// Darkthunder

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2008, 07:36:13 am »
Sweet work mate!
And I love this idea too :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »
Modeling finally done... ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 12:30:43 am »
Hellooo F-CL :)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 06:59:46 am »
*drools and has an accident*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:58 am »
I look forward to this model very much.  This is what the NX-01 should have been.   ;)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 04:47:10 pm »
O ya, forgot to mention... it'll be about 6 weeks before i actually can release this thing... forgot to install photo shop onto my laptop which means no textures....  o well
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »
Well almost a year later i have started this thing up again.  Mainly cause my lappy died and i never got around to recovering the info off of the hd.   That and it wasn't as done as i thought it was. as it stands now, she is 10.5 k (and ain't getting any smaller... i've tried) and mapped and ready to be textured.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 08:03:52 pm »
NICE!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:01 pm »
SWEEET
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 11:53:45 pm »
a little texture progress
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:09:34 am by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:40 am »
and now i go to bed...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:53 pm »
nice work mate.

Offline sierracharlie

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
That is a beaut. Gimme....

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »
Wow - great job!

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:09 pm »
lovely model!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2009, 02:33:58 am »
Just a quick update and a illumination test :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:24 am »
Looks like your best work yet, Tus.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2009, 09:38:59 am »
Looks like your best work yet, Tus.

he he... now lets see if i finish it lol
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:51 am »
wow.  That is a thing of beuty.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2009, 12:25:44 pm »
How pretty is the brk mod? hehehe... icky Feds!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2009, 05:11:41 pm »
Just one more small texture to go...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2009, 08:03:21 pm »
whats that little thingy sticking out of the back left and right sides of the engeneering section? Looks like a little nipple with a red ring around it.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »
Aft Phasers
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2009, 11:00:20 pm »
Well, texture work is done, now i need to hp it and then break it :)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:24:51 pm by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:08 pm »
Tus - up on my youtube page is a method of making easy break models. Feel free to use that. Unless you have a solid system of your own, of course.
Robinomicon

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:00 pm »
Tus - up on my youtube page is a method of making easy break models. Feel free to use that. Unless you have a solid system of your own, of course.

oo.. i gots a solid system ;)...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: Daedalus class Re-imagined - Released
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »

Download

Thanks to Foas for doing some booleans fer me since max seems to be retarded.  HPed to the fed NCL
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:56:47 pm by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »
No worries...

Nice nebula
Robinomicon

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 06:23:53 pm »
That is just beautiful.  Now I need to find a place in the shiplist for it.  What is the red thing on the front of the engineering hull? 

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »
no clue, i'm guessing another bussard collector
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"