Topic: Daedalus class Re-imagined  (Read 23398 times)

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Daedalus class Re-imagined
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:31 pm »
The author Aethernaut from Scifi-Meshes has designed a really cool looking version of the Daedalus class of Star Trek. No 3D model is available as of yet, but he has given permission for modellers to create a 3D or Game model of the ship so long as he is given credits for the design.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/36316-daedalus-class-rewritten.html

And as there are a number of excellent modellers in this community, I was hoping someone would be willing to take this project up :D
// Darkthunder

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
Re: Daedalus class Re-imagined
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:33:55 am »
sorry no modeeling for this here but the original Daedalus looks better, this looks to advanced and more from the NX-Ent era design line

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:54 am »
Love it. I'd like to see some side by sides of the original design and this one.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:01 am »
I rather like the visible weapons and thrusters, as well as the deflector dish.  The back end doesn't look right to me.  I think the original simple cylinder might be better, to convey the primitive feel.  This looks like a successor to the Daedalus.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:50 am »
perhaps if this was done but more in the style of that connie from the calender a while back (it was also in a video) then it would look older but without looking nx-ified?

The backend looks fine to me. While the original deadalus may look more primitive, this looks more "realisticly spaceworthy" than the 60's version. One could argue this was the military version versus the simplistic and unarmed science version.

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:20:48 am »
I agree that this model looks to have been reimagined using NX design cues. Still, I like the overall design with the exception of the placement of the impulse thrusters (if that is what they are) at the aft end of the secondary hull. They should be placed on the primary hull, just like most other Fed ships.

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:11:31 pm »
I agree that this model looks to have been reimagined using NX design cues. Still, I like the overall design with the exception of the placement of the impulse thrusters (if that is what they are) at the aft end of the secondary hull. They should be placed on the primary hull, just like most other Fed ships.

It's funny that so many are against the idea of having the impulse engines located in the rear of the ship. The Intrepid class had the very same style in that its impulse engines were located on the pylons, with no engines on the stardrive or saucer area.
// Darkthunder

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
It it actually makes more sense that early designs like the Daedalus would have all it's propuslion units on the secondary hull. It simply has more internal space for the units. The vents themselves are the smallest part of the unit and the primary hull sphere is a really poor place to house the reactors as you'd likely lose half to a full deck or more of usuable space.

Making the vents themselves less prominent maybe flush on the secondary hull would be a decent compromise.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:35 pm »
Or put impulse in both places. The enterprise C and D had them on the drive section, the secondary drives were only used for saucer sep and infact the C didn't even have those. Really there seems to be no rhyme or rythm from class to class where they'll be. Again, it could be a difference between the science version (classic deadalus) and the more advnaced military version.

Here, this is the construction style I was refering to rather than NX-ification of everything:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163376572.0.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:34:49 pm by Starforce2 »

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:23:53 pm »
Well...I like it.
Nicely done mate.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 01:53:42 pm »
I love it. Good reimagining of the design. My only recommendation to the creator would be to restore the cylindrical shape of the secondary hull. Otherwise, it's a beautiful ship
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 05:28:28 pm »
*whistles*
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:20:47 pm »
Great work so far Tus

Keep it up
 :) :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:35 pm »
this is as far as i go until the new year... its sitting around 10k (its the bloody sphere... arg) and thats w/o more details...  I'm expecting the final product to be between 8 and 10k (i hope)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 03:53:04 am »
I like this re-imagined design a lot.  I would have prefer this ship much more for Star Trek Enterprise TV show.  It just looks more like what a Starfleet vessel would look like in this time period and looks more functional then that NX model.

My only one complaint would be the overall size of the ship.  With the crew compliment, Its kinda hard to imagine that this ship is only 138 Meters long.  May I suggest to TUS to increase the size of the ship to 10 or 15%?  138 meters X 115% = 159 meters in length, that about half the size of a Constitution.  Also, the Impulse Engines might be a bit of a problem.  Not that having them installed on the Secondary hull is bad, but they are so close to the shuttle bay (I assume they are right next to the shuttle bay, the Schematics make it look like its part of the shuttle bay doors).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:07:41 pm by Magnum357 »
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:21:19 am »
I don't have anything against the NX Enterprise, but I would have prefered a design like this. Or even earlier. Nice work Tus. She's gonna look real nice when she's done.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:11:35 pm »
eh... so i did more work on it...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:19 pm »
Having the impulse engines located there on the 3D model looks pretty good actually. Don't see what all the fuss is about by having them "close to the shuttlebay" :P

Awesome work there Tus.
// Darkthunder

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 02:17:18 am »
Yes, the model is coming out very nice TUS.   :)  I just agree with a few that the placement of the Impulse engines so close to the Shuttle bay doors might present a problem with incoming/outgoing shuttle craft.  Couldn't Impulse Engines cause "turbulances" or something?  The Engines look neat on the secondary hull, but I'm just saying they might present a problem with functionality of the design.

Also, I still think the Ship needs to be increased by about 10 or 15% in size.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 08:49:02 am »
eh, not my choice to change the model... i didn't design it ;)  plus if there are issues for shuttles you can always turn the engines off when ya need launch or land one ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"