Topic: Strange New Worlds Planetpack  (Read 38101 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: Strange New Worlds Planetpack
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2008, 05:38:44 pm »
Anybody have this model from Scifi-meshes.com:

Link: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/meshes/index.php?dlid=9     requires a membership?

Link: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/meshes/index.php?dlid=230

ST: Australia has a bunch of Planets here: http://www.startrekmeshes.com/ but the links are down...

KF

The original files are textures for use in Max. Luckily, they seem to work fine with C4D as well. I assembled them into a single layer .bmp with a lightmap so they can be used in SFC. The texture size is 2048x1024. I've included a sphere in .mod format in case the planet you are using is mapped differently. Probably not, but just to play it safe. You can scale it and add the HPs from another .mod if the texture won't work on your planet models. The original textures are also in the download. Someone might be able to do a better job with them than I have. Thus the big file size.

The pic on the right is the original multilayered textures. The one on the left is the converted .bmp used on the .mod. I hope it's what you were looking for.

All mJAstro asks for is credit for any images created from these textures. If anyone redistributes this PLEASE don't remove the readme.

Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/43944414/a0caabc9/HiRes_Earth.html?dirPwdVerified=fec50d30

Updated with a "dark side". No atmosphere effect. I'm assuming that's accomplished with I Mudd's .MOD and you can just use these textures. Let me know if this works out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:43:06 am by Rod ONeal »
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2008, 06:07:07 pm »
Nicely done Rod! Any chance you've seen the other planets I've posted about?

Also, these planets should have a night side too. I'm not sure how to do that without mauling the excellent work you've done with this.

KF

P. S. Nobody has yet explained to me why the ISC Homeworld has been portrayed as Death Star like... I did a Google search and turned up nothing on the description of the ISC Homeworld. Actually, the one depicted in SFC wouldn't that just be the capitol planet as the ISC are a diverse group of races akin to the Federation?
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2008, 06:20:01 pm »
I could render the texture with a dark side, instead of evenly lit (there's 128 evenly placed spots for lighting the render to eliminate what you are asking for LOL). What side would it be on? I can put a light with a sun modifier in the scene and render the bitmap.

I didn't notice any other requests you posted. If the textures are done like these were then it wouldn't be a problem to do some more also. The software did all of the work for this one.

Also, you might as well tell me what size textures you need?
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2008, 06:48:58 pm »
I could render the texture with a dark side, instead of evenly lit (there's 128 evenly placed spots for lighting the render to eliminate what you are asking for LOL). What side would it be on? I can put a light with a sun modifier in the scene and render the bitmap.

I didn't notice any other requests you posted. If the textures are done like these were then it wouldn't be a problem to do some more also. The software did all of the work for this one.

Also, you might as well tell me what size textures you need?

For I, Mudd's Planet pack, it appears that we are using a SINGLE 1024X1024 BMP file for the actual planet texture. I have no idea where to get the terraformed cratered moon that Pataflafla used for the backdrop of his USS Northampton. The planet is rendered here:

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2008, 07:16:38 pm »
For I, Mudd's Planet pack, it appears that we are using a SINGLE 1024X1024 BMP file for the actual planet texture. I have no idea where to get the terraformed cratered moon that Pataflafla used for the backdrop of his USS Northampton. The planet is rendered here:
Qapla'
KF

I think I know where to get that.. :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

yochenhsieh

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2008, 09:37:09 am »
Hello,
I'm testing the planet in SFC3 and have found some problems:

1) The texture does not fit with the seam. It looks pretty obvious since the planet is BIG.

2) Does it really need so many polygons? The stock SFC3 planet is less than 2000 but this one is almost 8000.  :o

I want to use it with the atmosphere effect of SFC3, so I have to scale the planet smaller to make it work. I attached the resized planet in this post.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2008, 08:18:19 pm »
Hello,
I'm testing the planet in SFC3 and have found some problems:

1) The texture does not fit with the seam. It looks pretty obvious since the planet is BIG.

2) Does it really need so many polygons? The stock SFC3 planet is less than 2000 but this one is almost 8000.  :o

I want to use it with the atmosphere effect of SFC3, so I have to scale the planet smaller to make it work. I attached the resized planet in this post.

You-Cheng Hsieh,

The planets you have in the SFC3 Expansion pack are cool BUT they don't have a dark/night time side. Is that something you can fix?

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

yochenhsieh

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:57 pm »
You-Cheng Hsieh,
The planets you have in the SFC3 Expansion pack are cool BUT they don't have a dark/night time side. Is that something you can fix?
Qapla'
KF
The planets in my mod were either made by Fallen_Warrior, or converted from Nexus: The Jupiter Incident by Darkdrone(check the readme in sfc3\assets\models\ for further details). SFC3 has simple lighting source system, so if you fly around the planet, you will notice there's dark/night side of it.

If the dark side is painted on the textures, it will look weird because the lighting direction and the textures usually don't match.  :P

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »
ASTEROIDS.... Switch SFC:OP's RockS.brk to RockS.mod and you get this: They swirl and spin in a cool way like micro gravity eddies...

I also swapped out the Asteroid 1-4 for ones from SFC3 TNG 2007 Expansion mod; Asterblaster makes a cool BIG rock now...

I replaced my SFC:OP SPACE mod with SFC3's SPACE folder as modified by the TNG 2007 Expansion mod and the space textures ROCK!

KF

Can you tell me how to do this? I hate the backgrounds and space textures in OP. That screeny looks awesome!

I, Mudd and the others: This is a great project that I can't wait for you to finish as I am working on a tactical shiplist of my own and better looking planets with the proper weapons placement would make for a great addition.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »
What's the latest, guys? Here's what I need. I need a replacement model and texture for all the stock planets. The poly's should be no more than 4-6k polys. This enables slower machines to run planet assaults if the model doesnt have LOD's. If LOD's the polys can be higher for close up and less for far away.

This is an encompasing project that will involve many people. Dont think I'm the only one who will use it. ED will need to rewrite his planet assault scripts. We will need to play test them. Firesoul will need to redo or give permission for DH and I to redo opplus. There are many things riding on this and I sense that with the use of SFC3 space textures that this project could result in a more attractive project entirely.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2008, 01:57:42 pm »
well I'm not working on planets, but my side project consists of creating new backdrops for the game...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2009, 05:54:22 pm »
hey mudd, where is your stuff now? There's no link in your sig any more. I've not been over to your site in a while and want to check out what I've missed.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:06 pm »
So what's the odds of a Space Ameboa back drop??

Maybe an all encompassing nebula backdrop too??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2009, 12:09:02 am »
well I'm not working on planets, but my side project consists of creating new backdrops for the game...

would love to get someone to fix the broken part of the game instead of something that isnt... :(

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2009, 12:10:45 am »
deal with it
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"