Topic: Strange New Worlds Planetpack  (Read 38099 times)

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
Strange New Worlds Planetpack
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:47:20 am »

This was sort of an experiment that didn't turn out too badly, so I thought I'd share.
As usual, to download, just click my sig and it's available - located in Available Starships for lack of a better place.

:)

JM.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Re: Strange New Worlds Planetpack
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:55:52 am »
This looks great!  Nicely done.. :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:36:15 pm »
Got it. Thanks, I'll check it out after work. Looks fantastic in the screenies, though.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:23:58 pm »
Strangely, I cannot find where I put my pics. Anyway, maybe you remember reading them, Mudd? I'll have to find them prolly. Do you do hardpointing Mudd? FS and I were going to update the OPPlus 4.0 Models and No-Models pack if we could ever find a new planet author to rehardpoint the planets:  http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163350267.msg1122495880.html#msg1122495880

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:51:09 pm »
Actually Dizzy, I used that and another planet thread as a guide ... In fact, the Hardpoint legend I used as a guide and included in the pack is probably your pic ... I wasn't sure who's it was ... It was just one of those things you flag and mean to get to and by the time you do get to it you realize you forgot where you got it from ... lol.

All I can say about the pack, is these Planets can be tough customers against drones and fighters ... and they will catch missiles with tractors and take them out with phasers, just like point defense. Of course, any weapon that uses a 360 degree firing arc still doesn't work right ... but then, if you are custom making missions, why not add a defense platform or starbase? (I actually toyed with the idea of including a defense platform in the model, where hardpoint 25, which is not used, could be set for a missile launcher or Plasma Torpedo Satellite ... but it would prove to be as indestructible as the planet, so I 86'd that idea ... for now.)

Anyways, Thanks all for checking these things out. Much appreciated;

JM.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 06:27:51 pm »
Nice work there I, Mudd.

Yet another reason why SFC: OP is still around after all these years. Planetary seige/raid missions are going to be MUCH more interesting now.

What I would like to see next is a newer Planet pack with planets of different sizes and planets with moons. Maybe a simple 1:1 replacement pack?

Priority of work IMHO, would be a variety of Earth-sized planets based on exisiting models such as Romulus and Remus that were kitbashed together by Chris Jones and company for SFC3 IIRC. Earth with a moon was put in Bonk's SFB OP 4.0 using a model from Fleetdock 13 and then a gas giant or two (anyone for defense posts hidden in the upper layers of the gas giant clouds?).

Well done sir!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49:28 pm »
Well, remember, planets are just simple models too ... their sizes can be altered with Model.siz. As for moons, the thought did cross my mind while putting this together,  but for a first time 'test the waters' sort of thing, I left out the moons, ringed and multi ringed worlds (think Pitch Black ...), asteroids, Space Elevators from surface to orbital stations ... just to name a few things I jotted down on the notepad while building/painting/editing.

Fear not ... these things will see a gaming screen near you in Pack II (Which I'm fairly certain I will be putting together in maybe a month or so ... after a few more things on my list...

;)

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:58:04 pm »
Can u post those pics you have?

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
I suppose so ... it's included in the download, though ...

JM.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:43:19 pm »
Yup! That's my pic. What about the side pics, have those 2? Did you place all of these hardpoints along the equator? Currently, stock planets have the hardpoints halfway up to the poles. This prevents Ph3's from doing PD.

My project requires all the stock planets be rehardpointed. I dont care if they are retextured, but from your package, seems as if you did a good job. Mudd, you have no idea how much an impact this will have on planet assaults on the dynaverse, do you? This would be a huge deal.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 07:50:17 pm »
Awesome prospects with new hardpoints.  Now if only there is a way to put real ground bases on a planet (I shant hold my breath).  Would add more nasties to planet assaults.  But this is a great thing, you can fake ground bases mostly this way.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 08:19:52 pm »
Yeah Dizzy ... I have play tested these things for the last few days ...

(I've never had so tough a time taking a planet ... I expect a long session when taking a planet ... this was a marathon ... but then, this one was exceptional. The hardpoints are equatorial ... and work fabulously with the correct arcs as depicted in your guide ... The tractors would catch the missiles, phaser-3s and/or Phaser-Gs would act as point defense when needed ... getting too close made Phaser -4s working in concert with 3s and Gs a bit of a problem and disruptors and PPDs would just pummel you. The planet even managed to attack with marines, if you got too close to take screenies ... What a blast! I love this game!!! lol. )

I also included that particularly nasty planet as an exported shipedit file (EAW, but that can be used both in EAW and OP, as where an OP shipedit file is not always as reversable.), not just to be Uberplanet, but as a template for ease of setting up your own planets utilizing these firing arcs. The png files are templates to help you create your own strange new worlds (simple details of their usage in the read me file ...)

You had a great idea ... I just gave it a meager facelift with someone else's idea for atmospheric effects.

I guess that's kind of like calling myself a tool ... lol.

Eh ... if the boot fits, pull yourself up by the straps ...

JM.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 08:31:15 pm »
I was thinking, for variety sake and realistically, not all planets/moons need or should have atmosphere effects.

Also have you considered hardpointing some asteroids?

SFC2 and SFC3 have quite a variety that could be slipped into asteroid field missions...

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »
Actually, that is present in the pack. Two planets I can think of off the top of my head Don't have the atmospheric layer activated (Blank texture.)

I designed this as a substitution for my own Planet models, (which, incidentally, seem to share the same model in the stock game anyways - just appropriately renamed) but after seeing the way they work, it was too cool not to share. Besides ... Dizzy came up with the HP template ... and this idea was tailor made for Dyna play ... which I miss because of Vista, but that's another story.

Hardpointing asteroids was more than a passing thought of mine I was hinting at earlier above, using a base station as a guide in shipedit, along with the new arc system (I'm a sucker for the idea of Jindarians ... maybe after the Romulan Wars ships are started ... I'll get around to it I'd love to see a Jindarian fleet ... or just a mined asteroid field ... :D ... so, hey,  if you're feeling froggy and need these ideas quicker, jump on it! lol.)

:D

JM.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »
I' Mudd,

I have completed converting Planet Hydra and Planet Gorn 1-3 from the STOCK OP models with your test planet mod. Nicely done.

I was wondering if the planets axis could be turned or a texture set be made to mimic a 45 degree axis or even a [searches for correct words] north to south rotation?

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 11:22:38 pm »
I havent D/Led the pack yet, but will do so soon. Am I to guess right that not every stock planet has been converted? If they are, I can test them and then redo the OPPlus 4.0 shiplist to match it then send it to Firesoul so he can release the OPPlus 5.0 version. Any chance on having all stock planets rehardpointed?

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 11:42:58 pm »
I havent D/Led the pack yet, but will do so soon. Am I to guess right that not every stock planet has been converted? If they are, I can test them and then redo the OPPlus 4.0 shiplist to match it then send it to Firesoul so he can release the OPPlus 5.0 version. Any chance on having all stock planets rehardpointed?

I'm sure I, Mudd's test planet pack makes the planet models all the same size.

I have been able to customize the following STOCK planets using Taldrens's STOCK textures and I, Mudd's test planet pack to my satisfaction:

Planet Lyra
Planet Hydra
Planet Gorn1
Planet Gorn2
Planet Gorn3

My preference would be to have a RANGE in "Class M" planet sizes.

I have two planet textures from I  believe a Klingon Academy texture pack from Darkdrone one of which allowed me to have ONE I, Mudd planet with east-west poles.

Also the following SFC3 planet textures work well with I, Mudd's planet pack:

Planet Storm = SFC3 Dracaena
Planet City Night =SFC3 Shinzandra
Planet Mirak = SFC3 Ghostly
Planet Romulus =SFC3 Planet Romulus

I have a few miscellaneous planets that have moons, planetary rings or are dead worlds that I don't feel need atmosphere effects.

This is what I have explored so far.

KF

HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 10:55:23 am »
Well, yes, those things could be done, either by adjusting/rotating the mesh, or by some Photoshop editing ... but I included all the tools so folks could do just what you are doing. I didn't think one modeler could tackle the demands of an entire community of likes and dislikes when it came to something as variable and objectable as a planet.

Again, Model.siz can make them whatever size you need for whatever mission ... as for moons in the mesh itself, either someone will come along and do it before I do, or I'll add things like this in Pack II in a couple of weeks.

As far as airless worlds, either turn off the atmosphere by blacking out the two 'a' textures or simply import the mod into max, delete the outer sphere, re-export. I'll be doing some of these things in the second pack, plus adding illuminations to the planet itself ... but as I am in the process of moving right now ... it's not going to happen overnight ... lol.

IIRC, most all of the stock planets were fairly perpendicular in alignment ... I thought about tilting the planet, but then, if someone were to ever edit the thing as a Starbase rather than a Planet in ShipEdit, then the thing would rotate on a serious wobble ... (Why would anyone ever do such a thing? Destructable bases on the planet, for one ... if the object is to capture and not destroy, this might be a set of victory conditions ...)

JM.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 11:56:38 am »
Have at it... I put this together specifically for such a purpose ... convert and edit to your hearts content!

:D

JM.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:38 pm »
I, Mudd,

These models should be included in the next OP+ update Pestalence puts out. EXCELLENT work and Well done!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC