Topic: "SFCIII Editor" utility WIP  (Read 60466 times)

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
New HP Placer (1.2.8)
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2008, 05:06:51 pm »
http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/;93211

New features:

HardPoints can now be moved according to grid size. Sizes are: Normal (1 Pixel), 5 Pixels, 10 Pixels, and 15 Pixels

"Restore Layout" in "Options menu" moves all HardPoints back to their intial load positions

"Crosshairs" can be toggled to allow precision HardPoint placement

Mind you, this version is tentative... so if you have any suggestions for new (reasonable) features *looks at F9thCenturus*... or changes to the current ones, feel free to comment.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: "SFCIII Editor" utility WIP
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2008, 07:04:34 pm »
What's so unreasonable about having She's A Lady playing while you're refitting a ship?

;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline PigUp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
Man my new job has kept me busy, I've barely been able to test the Item Editor much. So far the only thing to report on that is that after I used it once, and I did not save after messing around. I played a round and in the "after battle report" it said I had taken 300 something internal damage :huh:. It hasn't happened since, and I do have several weapons that have decimals in their damage value, so I assume it was 30.0 damage.

Anywho, for the HP Placer I suggest a Snap to Column and Snap to Row feature. Notice in the Defiant pic that weapon hp's 3, 19, and 18, power hp 1, bridge hp 1, and hull hp 1 are all lined up on the same row. If you wanted more hp's to line up the same way then this would save time on those ships with a lot of hp's, especially on the tiny TI image where you have very little space to work with and the slightest tap with the mouse can screw you up. Snap to Row would highlight a row (right click maybe?) and then all subsequent hp's you place will automatically move up or down to the row selected (left or right for columns) until you turn it off or use Snap to Column.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
Anywho, for the HP Placer I suggest a Snap to Column and Snap to Row feature. Notice in the Defiant pic that weapon hp's 3, 19, and 18, power hp 1, bridge hp 1, and hull hp 1 are all lined up on the same row. If you wanted more hp's to line up the same way then this would save time on those ships with a lot of hp's, especially on the tiny TI image where you have very little space to work with and the slightest tap with the mouse can screw you up. Snap to Row would highlight a row (right click maybe?) and then all subsequent hp's you place will automatically move up or down to the row selected (left or right for columns) until you turn it off or use Snap to Column.
I'd love to, and believe me, I triiieeedddd my darndest to implement that very thing.... but it phailed and looked ugly every time...

Edit: ZOMG, I got a new idea/approach... *scurries*

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2008, 07:01:13 am »
I used to know an imp that loved to scurry.  Wish I could have scurried her, if ya know what I mean.

:D

But yea, having some sort of a snap or toggle feature that would allow uniform placement of hardpoints across the interface would be great, similar to the old HP placement editor that D'Derdiex (sp?) made, but a little bit better.  Something that can allow you to move the hardpoints a little and still have them align up.

That make any sense?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2008, 09:53:37 am »
But yea, having some sort of a snap or toggle feature that would allow uniform placement of hardpoints across the interface would be great, similar to the old HP placement editor that D'Derdiex (sp?) made, but a little bit better.  Something that can allow you to move the hardpoints a little and still have them align up.

That make any sense?
Well, the grid feature does that, but it's usually... off-center of what you want.  What I'm thinkin' right now is the ability to mark a line and somehow be able to tell other specific HP's to snap to that line whether it be horizontal, vertical, or even both.  Perhaps I will have my first experience with right click menus... time's runnin' short though, semester begins Monday, and I have a heavy demanding programming class... won't have any time for my babies, er, utilities...  :'(

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
HP Placer "Snap to Column/Row" Feature
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2008, 12:27:25 am »
*cough*

That what you had in mind?

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »
Updated it again, this time when you snap a HardPoint to a Column/Row, it will set the crosshairs on the lead HP to show the snapped HP lining up:

Better yet, I'm going to make it to where when you set a HP as lead, the crosshairs will always be on it unless you move another HP around, then the crosshairs will align with the moving HP.

Offline GQMarkDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:41 am »
Great work mate I love the Idea of being able to edit this so easy like this I have spent so many hours modding this game and If I had tools like that it could have cut the time in half.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2008, 11:54:47 pm »
Well, it's gonna have to wait til after the first week of December... this semester is the toughest by far...

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »
*walks in*

Got some free time...

*looks at his old source code*

*screams at the top of his lungs about the sexual orientation of Java*

My God... taking a data structures class has made this code look like trash... I need to rewrite alot of it...

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2009, 06:20:43 pm »
*walks in*

Got some free time...

*looks at his old source code*

*screams at the top of his lungs about the sexual orientation of Java*

My God... taking a data structures class has made this code look like trash... I need to rewrite alot of it...

LOL, I understand that, the more you learn the more you see you wrote crap code.  I went back through my code from 17 years ago when I was a student, man, it isn't bad, but you can see how I progressed as the classes went on. (and how I regressed since I have been out).
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2009, 07:32:05 pm »
Well this is fun... .JAR files refuse to run under Vista... no wonder some people have trouble with my programs... maybe I should rewrite it in C...

Offline GFLMyComputerMan

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2009, 09:17:43 am »
Hello Greenvalv,

The utility looks great and I can't wait to try it out. 
Where are going to school?  I noticed you had said you just took Data Structures....I'm taking that class right now at Drexel University lol.

Kind of a funny thing...I had thought of writing a similar utility....looks like you beat me to the punch ;).

Good work! 

MyComputerMan

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2009, 02:43:57 pm »
Where are going to school?  I noticed you had said you just took Data Structures....I'm taking that class right now at Drexel University lol.
University of New Orleans, first three classes use Java... it's hard to look at these procedural languages when my mind is object-oriented.  :banghead:

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:17 pm »
Update:  Mardi Gras vacation and new inner spark for coding has left me rewriting my utils.  Code is looking much nicer now.  Much easier to discern what the heck I was doing...  :crazy2:

I'm experimenting with some new ideas... might have a new version of the HP Placer out by the end of the week... with a heck of alot more efficient code to boot (i.e. slightly faster HP layout loads).

One of these millennia, I'll get that Spec editor done...  :banghead:

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
ATTN: F9thCenturus, PigUp, and other testers for new HP Placer
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2009, 12:25:56 am »
ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc3/Utilities/sfc3_hardpoint_placer_v1.6.7.rar

I have finished rewriting the God awful code and have finished implementing and debugging the new features that I've introduced in earlier posts.

As PigUp suggested, once you've snapped a HP to the designated guide HP's column or row, it will remain on the column or row and move along it like a rail.  You can even snap multiple HP's to a guide HP.  Moving the guide HP will move the other snapped HP's as well... try it...

I've tried to smash as many bugs as I could find... every time I tried a different combination of commands a new bug would rear its ugly head... I think I've found them all, but there's bound to be one hiding somewhere so try a bunch of snaps, locks, and layout loads to see if you can't find any that I missed.

Note:  There's a "Help..." item under the "Help" menu that leads to a goofy dialog... I'll get a help HTML page done and have ya'll evaluate it for the final release.  If all goes well, this will be the last time I release a util written in Java.  I'm thinking C, C++, and/or Haskell for any new releases.

Make sure to backup your stuff before you have fun as it still is in beta...

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
HP Placer Update...
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »
Update:

Bug fixed: An HP that has been restored, removed, or locked to the layout would continue to follow the guide HP's movements-- fixed, HP now stays put.

Feature idea:  Having the VL and TI placement fields operate seperately (i.e. setting a new guide HP in the TI field will not cancel out the guide HP in the VL field...

Any comments, opinions, or problems with the new HP Placer so far?

Offline GQMarkDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »
I will have to give it a try and let you know

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Feature idea:  Having the VL and TI placement fields operate seperately (i.e. setting a new guide HP in the TI field will not cancel out the guide HP in the VL field...
UPDATE: done.. now, to clean up the code; test some more; and write that help file...

Edit: Further updates: HardPoint images have been condensed to one file
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:49:24 pm by Greenvalv »