Topic: Hows the performance of the gagarn?<-those who wanted the ships check yur mail  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
I'm cuious how this runs in SFC? I have a ship I can pass along from longisland26, a Legacy modder, that has only around 2k more poly than the gagarn. If you guys think 15k and change will run I'll drop the ship over here for proper converting.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:13:26 pm by Starforce2 »

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Hows the performance of the gagarn?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:56:58 pm »
I'm cuious how this runs in SFC? I have a ship I can pass along from longisland26, a Legacy modder, that has only around 2k more poly than the gagarn. If you guys think 15k and change will run I'll drop the ship over here for proper converting.

If you are referring to AsylUm's Gagarin, I've used Atheorhaven's port extensively in SFC:OP with no issues. Aside from a minor texturing issue on the nacelles, the ship is flawless. My rig is decent, if dated...about three years old.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:33 pm »
15K for a ship is nearing the poly limit for SFC3.  I do not know the poly limit for SFC2/OP, but I would imagine that the same would apply as well.

I haven't used the Gagarin in SFC3 yet.  Been kinda lazy about getting her speced out.  But, if you want, send tha model this way and we'll gladly see how she runs in SFC.

Can't hurt to try.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »
Ok, what email would you like me to send it to? It's pushing 7000k, well over the attach limit for the board.

And Red, what are those nacelle issues ya were refering to?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:36:50 pm »
Hmmm....good question.  I think in this case we should gather up a mailing list for this particular ship.  Anyone who wants to test her out.

Send mine to either Golden_Centurion@hotmail.com or F9thCenturus@gmail.com
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:41:08 pm »
15K for a ship is nearing the poly limit for SFC3.  I do not know the poly limit for SFC2/OP, but I would imagine that the same would apply as well.

I haven't used the Gagarin in SFC3 yet.  Been kinda lazy about getting her speced out.  But, if you want, send tha model this way and we'll gladly see how she runs in SFC.

Can't hurt to try.

By my own experiance sfcop can run my 47580 poly tiger tank model but the lag is horrable  :D
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »

Can't hurt to try.

By my own experiance sfcop can run my 47580 poly tiger tank model but the lag is horrable  :D

You've got to be sh***ing me!!!!  Seriously????

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:49:24 pm »
Hmmm....good question.  I think in this case we should gather up a mailing list for this particular ship.  Anyone who wants to test her out.

Send mine to either Golden_Centurion@hotmail.com or F9thCenturus@gmail.com

Ok, tomarrow sometime I will send it (hopefully I wont forget lol) and I think it's in 3ds (there's also milkshape file) so it will obviously need to be messed with first as I don't know the porting process and I'll also send you the authors email so you can keep him aprised of the release status. He has more than one ship and intends to send more, I believe they are all roughly on the same poly level.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:53:52 pm »

Can't hurt to try.

Yea ive got some screen caps of it in game and also my other super high poly model for me any way the edmund fitgerald it works in game its around 20000 poly
Time for life!

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »
Put me on that mailing list as well, please...

p.chris.hughes@gmail.com

Thank ya.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:24:41 pm »
EAW/OP don't have a poly limit like 3 does, so 14k is fine.  Its really textures that cause slow downs for future reference.  Some people will complain though if you release something that big... i can almost guarantee it...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:27:01 pm »

Can't hurt to try.

Yea ive got some screen caps of it in game and also my other super high poly model for me any way the edmund fitgerald it works in game its around 20000 poly

Incredible.  Simply incredible.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 11:28:41 pm »
EAW/OP don't have a poly limit like 3 does, so 14k is fine.  Its really textures that cause slow downs for future reference.  Some people will complain though if you release something that big... i can almost guarantee it...

I think you can certainly guarantee it.   ;D

But it is very interesting to know that SFC2 and OP don't have poly limits.  The poly limit for SFC3 might have been one of the code issues that Taldren was never able to address.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:42:44 am »

I dont want to argue about this but my tank only has 1 512 x 512 color map poly count does have some lag problems  :angel:
Time for life!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:47:25 am »
well i should clarify, when we are dealing w/ poly counts from 1k- 15k, its the textures that cause the majority of the performance issues ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:06 am »
Well folks, when I get home from work this afternoon, there will be a second ship...a Kumari...I just got the pm for handing that over to SFC modders sometime overnight.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »
ya should have yur ships.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
Send one my way SF  :)

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
What email? Ya need something that can take 7 meg unless you want to get on msn...

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:43 am »
If you are referring to AsylUm's Gagarin, I've used Atheorhaven's port extensively in SFC:OP with no issues. Aside from a minor texturing issue on the nacelles, the ship is flawless. My rig is decent, if dated...about three years old.

If I get some time one of these evenings, I'll go back to the mesh and see if I can't fix that.  It happened during the .MOD export I think, it didn't look like that before..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!