Topic: atheorhaven's WIP and release thread (re: TARDIS v3r released.. :)  (Read 98942 times)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Re: atheorhaven's WIP and release thread (re: TARDIS v3r released.. :)
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »
Will see if I can get some current shots of where it sits now.. remember how I said work was getting busy?  It's gotten busy on top of busy.  :/

Plus side is that apparently the hard work is getting noticed..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2012, 12:48:31 am »
Quick bump for this.. am playing around with trying to convert meshes from Orbiter and am having a bit of luck.  This is WIP.  :)

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:33 am »
That looks very nice.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »
Yea she looksl ike she is made out of Saturn V parts ;D

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:11 am »
Thanks.. it's one that TAnimal has been waiting for.  The Space Dock from Space:1999

I'm currently scaling it to the Eagles so that the Eagles have somewhere to fly to.  ;)

Once I've got it done, I'll attempt to get permission to release and once/if that's out, get back to the kitbashes I was working on (Feddies and also the Swift and SuperSwift).  I also have a Romulan to get out the door, my Gorkon retexture and continue work on the multiple versions of the TARDIS to get them all complete.  Once done, there'll be versions of the TARDIS you can fly so you can match it to your favourite Doctor.  Like Tom Baker?  His version of the TARDIS will be there.  Like the new series with Matt Smith?  Not a problem, outer skin for his is done, and inner skin should be done soon.

I'm also half seriously thinking of taking K-9 out of the break mod and release him as a standalone drone fighter.. my kid was watching Sarah Jane Adventures and they had a season opener where K-9 was floating in some form of pocket universe keeping some rupture from coming through.  Attacking a Klingon with a flotilla of K-9's would make for an awesome screenshot.  :D

So I've still got a bit on my plate, not to mention some stuff on the back burner.  I spotted the Jagoroth ship the other day for instance... ;)

Getting closer to the 400 ship mark everyday.. :D

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2012, 01:47:44 pm »
I'm excited about the spacedock. Poor Eagles, floating around out there with no where to go... and you're right, the original model DOES look like it was made from Saturn V parts!

I'm excited about your TARDISs (TARDI? Tardae?), if for no other reason to show off to my kids, but I'm curious. How different will the models be based on the Doctor? I know the inside was different but I've always assumed the outside never really changes, maybe Pertwee used a physically different set piece than Smith does, but aren't they the same?

(edit) OK, a little search shows they are different per se... just how detailed are this models you're making atheorhaven??? Or can you really see inside thiese things? ;)

Personally, I like the 2011 version....

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »
No doubt you know of thie aetheorhaven, but for teh rest of us...
Great "making of" page on the S:1999 space station with lots of closeups and details. And yes, those are Starun Vs from the old Airfix plastic model, not to mention a 1701 saucer as the Eagle docking pad!
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/models/spacestn/w2mspacestn.html

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »
I'm excited about the spacedock. Poor Eagles, floating around out there with no where to go... and you're right, the original model DOES look like it was made from Saturn V parts!

Using Saturn V parts tied into the whole Apollo/NASA thing that was still going on.  It was probably a logical progression at the time...

I'm excited about your TARDISs (TARDI? Tardae?), if for no other reason to show off to my kids, but I'm curious. How different will the models be based on the Doctor? I know the inside was different but I've always assumed the outside never really changes, maybe Pertwee used a physically different set piece than Smith does, but aren't they the same?

(edit) OK, a little search shows they are different per se... just how detailed are this models you're making atheorhaven??? Or can you really see inside thiese things? ;)
Personally, I like the 2011 version....

Here's what I'm doing with the TARDIS mesh.. on this version, in the break .MOD file the ship will break apart leaving a central "bubble" with a view of the interior.  I'd posted a shot earlier using McGann's TARDIS, but basically, here's what I'm doing:

This also shows some of the different versions of the ship as it went along.  Am still looking for a decent coloured version of Hartnell's to complete his.  But in the picture above, it goes:  Eccelston/Tennant, Pertwee, Davison/Colin Baker, McGann, Smith.  I'm going to treat Tom Baker's version as different because there seems to be at least two of them used, so I'm going to use the one not coloured like Pertwee or Davison's.  Troughton and Hartnell's were slightly different from each other as well, mostly interior but there are a couple of exterior differences as well.

Bottom shows the break mod, the TARDIS and "bubble" seperates before the Doctor "disappears into the time vortex to make his daring escape" (ie: the break mod sequence finishes).  ;)

I think Smith's is probably going to be the toughest for the interior just because there's so much going on.. I may have to go what I did for the v3 interior, simplify it a bit.  We'll see when I get there.  :)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »
Good luck. You planning on a mor modern Tardis from the Time War?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »
Hard to say.. a TARDIS from the Time War has never been shown, so it'd be conjecture if I did one.  :/

Also, I don't think they've ever said that TARDIS' were used duing the Time War.. but it would make sense for the Master to have had a TARDIS at the Cruciform (or else the Time Lords just dropped him off there and he "ran" with some other Dalek means or other backup plan).  And we know that the Doctor was there at the Time War.  But it sounds like the Time Lords worked remotely or with agents for the most part, and if they moved directly against the Daleks, it was only during the early battles.  Lastly, with functional chaemeleon circuits on a TARDIS, it really could look like anything.  The closest to a solid fixed state ever described was in the Faction Paradox books where the TARDIS was turned inside out with its internal dimension mapped on normal space.  It then sort of resembeled a lotus flower apparently.

So with all of that, the Doctor could have lead a battalion of dozens of identical police box TARDIS', or random objects (even potentially some looking like Daleks or their saucers) or asteroids, or you name it.  Leading a fleet of hobby horses, or Santa's sleigh I doubt would have happened though.  ;)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »
Well I know that durring the Tenant 2 parter where the Darleks stole Earth The Doctor mentioned that the Darleks had "years of experiance fighting Tardises". As for wht they would look like that depends I supose on how big on the outside they can get.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2012, 10:58:03 pm »
Well I know that durring the Tenant 2 parter where the Darleks stole Earth The Doctor mentioned that the Darleks had "years of experiance fighting Tardises". As for wht they would look like that depends I supose on how big on the outside they can get.

They've never imposed a limit that I'm aware of on the exterior shell for size or shape.  That's all generated by the TARDIS which had access to the Eye of Harmony.  So you could get a TARDIS the size of a statue, a building, and I'd imagine larger if necessary for blending in to the enviornment.  ("That's not a moon..." )  ;)   I'd imagine that now that there is no longer any Eye of Harmony to draw power from, the TARDIS would tend to take smaller shapes simply to conserve power.  But during the Time War, if a TARDIS was dispatched, I'd suspect that the early battles would have sent in TARDIS' using larger plasmic shells and probably really ornate to show the majesty and pomp of the Time Lords.  I suspect that they got destroyed pretty quickly by the Daleks too..

WIP Smith TARDIS interior btw.. the floor will be transparent soon.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:33:12 am by atheorhaven »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:55 pm »
We don't know if the tardis was cut off from the eye as the haven't shown the cloister room in the new show yet. So there still might be a Black Hole at the heart of the Tardis ;)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
We don't know if the tardis was cut off from the eye as the haven't shown the cloister room in the new show yet. So there still might be a Black Hole at the heart of the Tardis ;)

If it's still there, it's not stable enough to be used to power the ship though, remember that at times like "The Unquiet Dead", "Utopia", and "The Doctor's Wife" he's now fueling the ship with Rift energy.. which is a different power source than the Eye of Harmony.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2014, 01:22:32 pm »
So, seeing that I finally found almost everything again.. updates.

Since it's been a few years.. there's been some new stuff.  And I've been updating as I go.  Currently have a War Doctor TARDIS in the works, and also, now that I found my K-9 and console meshes and their textures.. working on a decent Tom Baker-era version complete with K-9 inside (as was always the intent).

Completed my Matt Smith first gen TARDIS, and am 70% completed on his last gen TARDIS interior as well.

The v4 TARDIS pack will have every Doctor's TARDII in there I can possibly find to do.. all canon Doctor's will be in there so that you all can fly your favourite.  :D

So there will be a mesh change from Hartnell to McCoy TARDIII in that I'll be using the shorter TARDIS console for them as opposed to the tall console from McGann forward.

All of them will have a custom break mod escape bubble that breaks off on destruction so that Doctor can fly away and live another day.  But Tom Baker's TARDIS will have K-9 in it as well.  (May release K-9 seperately HP'ed as a small fighter just for fun).

Offline Ervinc

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »
That would be so cool to have K-9 as a fighter  ;D

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2014, 02:20:56 pm »
That would be so cool to have K-9 as a fighter  ;D

Well, I even found my SFC 1 Demo test platform, so I'll put my WIP K-9 into it and see how he flies later on tonight.  :D

I have a mapping issue to fix under his nose though before I can release him..

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2014, 12:17:33 pm »
Kreeargh, just so you know, this has never dropped off my plate.  :D

Guys, Kreeargh is an amazing mesher and this is a good example of his work... this was a request of mine for a long time.

SS Madame De Pompadour.  Have fixed most of the initial mapping issues, just need to still correct the end caps of the arms.

(edit: added SFC2 render with lightmaps.. also, have scaled the ship to be about roughly 1.5km in length.. I've not been able to find anything anywhere in regards to scaling for her so scaled her sizewise off Kane's ISA Victory).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:54:42 pm by atheorhaven »

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2014, 05:55:46 pm »
Play tests..

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:15 am »
Okay, here's one off my bucket list.  One I've wanted to do forever.

One of the things I like to do, as you may know, is I like to take on underdogs.  Sometimes, people will say that something is so horrible that no one likes to see it.  I like those because chances are no one has done it before, or there aren't many versions of it out there.  But sometimes, something comes from a show that is itself so horribly bad that no one wants to see it.  This one comes from a show so bad that the co-creator removed his name from it before the first show aired.  :)

Just four years after ST:TOS left the air, there was a show that was pitched to BBC.  They didn't want it, so they went low budget on it, and filmed it in Canada.  Took one of the lead actors from 2001: A Space Oddyessy, some Canadian actors, some familiar actors for one offs (John Colicos and Walter Koening are two examples) and tried making it.  Well, it only went for 16 episodes which kind of showed you how that went, but the talent they put into the show came up with some good science, poor scripts, and cool props.  One of them was the ship they travelled in, the Ark, and the show was called "The Starlost".

The Ark has been on my bucket list for a while, and I had a start on it before.  That mesh disappeared, so I restarted it from scratch this morning.  It has the dubious honour of being (I think) the first major mesh I've worked on from scratch all in Max.

It's somewhere near 20,000 polies right now so I suspect I'll have to poly chop down the domes a bit, but here's some WIP shots.  You can kind of see how I do things a bit here.. start off with base textures, mesh, get thigs to a point, get out of meshing and textures a bit more, then go back in and do more meshing.  Don't know if anyone else does it like that, but it seems to work for me.  :D

Anyways, let me know what you think.. I've included a shot here from ModViewer that shows an above view, a shot of a refernce model, and a overhead shot of the original prop for comparison.. showing what work needs to continue.