Topic: KDF E-7 "Blood Honor" (quv 'lw) class battlecruiser wip...Need your help  (Read 32814 times)

Offline Akira_Commander567

• Zachary "the Marksman" Rich
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: KDF E-7 "Blood Honor" (quv 'lw) class battlecruiser wip...update 5/24
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »
I'm very impressed by your effort. You could also try to make some mercenary marks, for Klingon mercenaries. You could also try making them in Fedration markings for a captured or purchased ship.
The truth is like a thriple-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
Re: KDF E-7 "Blood Honor" (quv 'lw) class battlecruiser wip...update 5/24
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »
I had to make some changes to the windows...what I discovered was, if I went with the size of the windows, the ship would be far too small. I want it to be a bit bigger than the original D-7.

And in keeping with the original's style, it had two rows of windows anyway, so here are the changes I made, as well as some small nose texture tweaks around the torp launcher.

Another few notes...though this pic doesnt show it, I really hated the mirrored windows and decided to fix it. Now the port side has a different map for the windows, so the lit pattern is different, which makes the ship look much better.

Also, in case I didnt indicate it before the ship sits at about 5000 polys, using 2048 textures....two sets of three (diffuse, glow, specular) and one small map for the nacelle strut. So a total of 9 maps overall.

My current ceiling for polys is about 7500. I have also changed the base color of the polys textured by map set 1 as green, map set 2 as blue and map set 3 as red. That way it will be easy to see which set covers which polys, if someone wants to know. Each diffuse map will have a color block on it matched to the base color of the polys so it is easy to match them up.

My question to you guys is....does base color of the polys really matter? I expect it wouldnt, but I just wanted to be sure.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:23:34 pm by Raven Night »
Never let your ego think or act for you..........me.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
Re: KDF E-7 "Blood Honor" (quv 'lw) class battlecruiser wip...update 6/1
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2008, 10:35:05 am »
Its a great looking ship raven

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2008, 02:17:51 pm »
Thanks, here is a pic of the nacelle progress inboard. There is a small part I havent finished yet, but you get the idea.

Ravok

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2008, 02:40:12 pm »
 Beautifull !!!! Drool... Drool... :)

Q ` apLaH !!!

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
Its not normally summat i would comment on, but being as your so fussy with your detail, i reckon i can get away with saying id like to see the buzzard looking chunkyer, bulk her up with more panels, texture wise.. but it looks sweet as a nut raven.  ;)

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2008, 05:08:39 pm »
If drool mixed with sand makes concrete - I could be stuck right where I am for a long time... EGGSELLENT work Raven. I can't wait to add her to my Klink fleet.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2008, 05:32:32 pm »
Its not normally summat i would comment on, but being as your so fussy with your detail, i reckon i can get away with saying id like to see the buzzard looking chunkyer, bulk her up with more panels, texture wise.. but it looks sweet as a nut raven.  ;)

No, I appreciate the comments and suggestions....she has to be as perfect as I can get her for my skill level. That means I need criticism.

That said, the inboard panel is smoother than the rest of ship mainly because the studio model showed this panel to be almost devoid of detail, save the actual vents themselves. Well, I wasnt having a plain panel, so I added some detail.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:18 pm »
the nacelles inboard grille should be a more orangish color like the kilongon sensor grid control pannels (IIRC, the one chang used to target the excelcior in undiscovered countryw as orange and triangular, but that's the hue I'm refering too)

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »
Looking great, make the base the standard dark green of the Klingon Navy,also try to get those unfinished details done double-time.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2008, 03:50:54 pm »
Looking great, make the base the standard dark green of the Klingon Navy,also try to get those unfinished details done double-time.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2008, 01:34:10 am »
So nice he had to say it twice hehe.

I could do the same thing with the panels....do a few different colors, and allow the user to choose which color they want to display on the nacelles....would you guys like that?

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:19 am »
you still need to ask? With this bunch?

Hell yeah we'd love that!
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2008, 07:09:45 am »
Its not normally summat i would comment on, but being as your so fussy with your detail, i reckon i can get away with saying id like to see the buzzard looking chunkyer, bulk her up with more panels, texture wise.. but it looks sweet as a nut raven. ;)

No, I appreciate the comments and suggestions....she has to be as perfect as I can get her for my skill level. That means I need criticism.

That said, the inboard panel is smoother than the rest of ship mainly because the studio model showed this panel to be almost devoid of detail, save the actual vents themselves. Well, I wasnt having a plain panel, so I added some detail.

OK thats a very appropriate explanation, plus take +KUDOS for recieving crit as so many guys take it offensively nowadays, great stuff man.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »
It could also be a little cool for you to make an assimalated version of it, you know, for the Borg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »
Ok, I can wait for an assimalated version, but it would look very cool if we got it right.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2008, 06:54:16 am »
Thanks guys.

Ok, status of the work...I have the entire bottom of the model almost completed map wise....so once I have the little bits and boodles all in their proper place, I can start on the texture map.

I did have to make one change...I made the crew module (globe on the front of the ship) larger...I realized it was still too small. The problem was that I had the polys all cut to pieces while I was doing the textures, and I didnt want to mix vertices that used different maps, so I had a problem....

But I figured out a solution. Found out that you can group chunks of vertices together, then choose mesh select, and then choose polys in the selection menu, and voila.....the ability to manipulate the polys in a group without putting the parts together first. This saved me alot of time, and the model looks much more balanced now. The crew module is larger, neck is longer, warp engines were swung down a bit so they were not so flat an angle, and I didnt have to change the textures because the resize didnt effect them much.

Just a quick pic to show the better ratio now....

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: KDF E-7 "Blood Honor" (quv 'lw) class battlecruiser wip...update 6/16
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2008, 06:30:05 pm »
The top one looks the best, but you're it's creator, you're in charge of that ship's creation. Try to make it look as good as you can.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:23 pm »
As always the choice is yours but if you ask for opinions you usually get things you don't wnat to do

I would add a deeper bend at the engine mounting point and then further bend the engines in some more a bit more towards a D7, to make it fit more in between a D7 and a vorcha.

I would also consider a more D7 looking deflector on the top area of the secondary hull.

It also appears the colours in the textures are shifting some, could be from the render software. The panels on the engines have a more gray look to them then the hull. It causes the details to show on the engines nicily but tends to blur out on the hull. I think it makes the hull look more flat then you were intending considering the detail you put in there. You might want to darking the low areas a bit more and move the highest areas alittle to the red side of the colouring spectra.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2008, 08:26:12 am »
Well, I prefer the bend for the nacelles as they are, for the following reasons....

The current bend looks more modern, and although I had to reduce the flatness of it I wanted it to resemble the same angle of vorcha nacelles and struts.

I have decided to go with the second version, save alot of complaints against it. I can go back to the original if I need to in the future.