Topic: Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab  (Read 23952 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:08 pm »
!!  HINT  !!
[/color]

I would rather not have this thread be moved to Hot and Spicy.  Be nice guys.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:23 pm »
There is "Mellanistic" change, where a species rapdily changes over a limited number of generations, to adapt to an evioronment.

This was observed by a Mr. Mellan a decade or so before Darwin started work on his theories and it was observed how in Glasgow the normally grey Pepper Moth had evolved in just over 100 years into a black feather version that exactly matched the sot covered dirty stonework in the city.

Darwin used Mellan's work as part of his arguments in his "Origins of the Species" as a prime example of adaptaion.

Perhaps the bacteria adapted to utilise the netrient in a Mellanistic way.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 07:38:57 pm »
!!  HINT  !!
[/color]

I would rather not have this thread be moved to Hot and Spicy.  Be nice guys.

We're being nice.  *plugs Nemesis into a morphine drip*   ;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 01:20:48 am »
So with the stress caused by the cost of oil and gas.... is the human race about to evolve.... ::)

What's to evolve?  ever hear of horses?  I knew that buggy whip manufacturer stock would a long-term hold.. I just knew it.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 03:21:28 pm »
So with the stress caused by the cost of oil and gas.... is the human race about to evolve.... ::)

What's to evolve?  ever hear of horses?  I knew that buggy whip manufacturer stock would a long-term hold.. I just knew it.

Ooooo, whips.  *gets ideas*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »
I don't think you need ideas, from what I've read, you probably need a straight jacket, not ideas.  ;)  No offense. Beshides, all this evolution crap is false, unless it's micro evolution, then it's true.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 08:12:40 pm »
Beshides, all this evolution crap is false, unless it's micro evolution, then it's true.

You base this on what scientific facts precisely? 

How do you define micro vs macro evolution?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 05:38:18 am »
I don't think you need ideas, from what I've read, you probably need a straight jacket, not ideas.  ;)  No offense. Beshides, all this evolution crap is false, unless it's micro evolution, then it's true.

And what makes you think that everyone else here on D.net hasn't already tried a straight jacket on me?  I've got several walk in closets full of straight jackets from practically everyone here on these boards.  Those that really like me tend to get me 3 or 4. 

What can I say, I'm probably the only human being banned from mental institutions.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 09:34:28 am »
Macro is a change of one species to another, do you see that happenening now a days? THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY MONKEYS IF IT WAS TRUE! Micro is changes in one species to suit it to current lifestyle and threats, example, the six-linned skinks in my backyard have long legs while the ones in my frontyard have shorter ones, there are more trees up front, which means they have those legs because they don't need to run far to get to cover, while the ones in the back run very fast to get away from predators (and collectors). Also, why didn't I think of this yesterday, we should create a mental hospital just for people like you Centurus. WE really don't need you loose and causing mayham in the world. ;)
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 09:41:20 am »
Macro is a change of one species to another, do you see that happenening now a days? THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY MONKEYS IF IT WAS TRUE! Micro is changes in one species to suit it to current lifestyle and threats, example, the six-linned skinks in my backyard have long legs while the ones in my frontyard have shorter ones, there are more trees up front, which means they have those legs because they don't need to run far to get to cover, while the ones in the back run very fast to get away from predators (and collectors). Also, why didn't I think of this yesterday, we should create a mental hospital just for people like you Centurus. WE really don't need you loose and causing mayham in the world. ;)

My God, I should have known smacking someone so young with my rubber chickens would have caused serious brain damage.  But, you're new to this place, so I'll give ya a break.

*puts his arm around the young spartan, then points over to a building in the far corner*  See that building?  She's got 15 floors, state of the art facilities, and the best of the best of the best doctors and staff in the universe.  Everyone here on D.net dug deep into their pockets till it hurt, then they dug further, just to have that facility built.  They all then ganged up on me and dragged me into it.  I was to be the first, and sole patient that mental institution would have.

In under one day, half the staff quit (or were vaporized when they had to do my laundry, who knows), and the other half committed themselves to the asylum the next day.  But only after they kicked me out and banned me.

Since then, they just let me roam free as nature intended.  I think they feel I'm less of a threat being a free ranged nutcase rather than a caged nutcase.

*smacks Spartan-039 with a rubber chicken and turns him into Screech from Saved By The Bell*

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 09:47:58 am »
NO!!!!!!!! Stop smacking me with rubber chickens! *starts running laround like a scared little girl, then gets an axe*

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 09:51:28 am »
NO!!!!!!!! Stop smacking me with rubber chickens! *starts running laround like a scared little girl, then gets an axe*

*grabs the axe and has Hugh Jackman put curlers in Spartan's hair*  Thanks for the axe.  I've had something stuck between my molars since last night, and my usual toothpicking devices such as my most jagged piece of hull plating or my sharpest letter opener didn't get it out.  Maybe the axe will help.

Mental note.  Buy new letter opener.

*uses the axe to pick his teeth and finally picks out the piece of food from between his upper left molars*  Damn popcorn.

*sends Hugh Jackman away, uses the powers of his rubber chickens to turn Spartan back to normal, then hangs upside down in mid air and swings back and forth as he looks around*

Ummm...you want the axe back?

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 09:54:01 am »
*takes the axe back, looks at it* Gross, it'xs got slobber all over it, oh well, I didn't like it anyway. I got twenty more where that came from.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 09:58:14 am »
*takes the axe back, looks at it* Gross, it'xs got slobber all over it, oh well, I didn't like it anyway. I got twenty more where that came from.

Ummm....you had twenty more.  My rubber chickens like to have a morning snack.  Makes them less grumpy.  Especially since it's a couple months before Borg harvesting season.  They love Borg.  Their favorite dish.

I can replace the axes for you, but it'll be a couple months.  But I do have 20 cases of those little plastic gavels that make a noise when you slam it down.  They come in various colors.

If the plastic gavels aren't your thing, I've got a box of spoons.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 10:00:03 am »
Well, to be fair to Nemesis, and because the Fonz says it's the right thing to do, I believe we should get this thread back on track.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 10:06:19 am »
Can I join on the Borg hunt? I want to blow tthe Borg into little itty-biity peices, that's why I'm holding a combat shotgun in my lap. Now at least I have one guin that the chickens of doom can't eat.*picks up the barrel drum for the shotgun and puts it in with a satisfying clank* Now, where was I...............Oh yes, Nemesis, you wanted the difference between micro evolution and macro evoluotion, I had posted before, but here it is, micro are minor changes in a species while macro is the change of one species to another.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 10:08:47 am »
Can I join on the Borg hunt? I want to blow tthe Borg into little itty-biity peices, that's why I'm holding a combat shotgun in my lap. Now at least I have one guin that the chickens of doom can't eat.*picks up the barrel drum for the shotgun and puts it in with a satisfying clank* Now, where was I...............Oh yes, Nemesis, you wanted the difference between micro evolution and macro evoluotion, I had posted before, but here it is, micro are minor changes in a species while macro is the change of one species to another.

*grabs the shotgun and cooks it and puts A-1 sauce on it*  Oh, there are no more Borg to hunt.  I have to breed them these days cause my rubber chickens ate them all.  So I breed free range Borg, so they have a continuous supply.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:58 am »
I still got the shotgun, you can never have it!!!! * takes the gun and runs for the hills* Beshides, you grabbed the rubber gun, and, frre-range Borg? Perhaps we should let some run rampant and start the hunt again.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 10:32:45 am »
I still got the shotgun, you can never have it!!!! * takes the gun and runs for the hills* Beshides, you grabbed the rubber gun, and, frre-range Borg? Perhaps we should let some run rampant and start the hunt again.

Actually, I ate your shotgun.  Not very tasty, nor was it of good quality.  The shotgun you are running away with I bought at that Pirates of the Caribbean store at Disneyland.

And I can't let my Borg loose.  Farming them is the only way I can make sure my rubber chickens don't eat them all.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 10:36:40 am »
*lookks at his shotgun, test fires, and sees it's a fake. Spartan becomes annoyed* Ok, don't let em loose, just let me shoot at one, just keep those rubber chickens in line.