Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273630 times)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2008, 06:34:39 am »
Great work on the shuttle  as for the fighter, I'm more drawn to the SFB sort of design where elements of the shuttle craft are used to make
fighters and wings are only large enough to hold drones.  ;D  still nice work on her also

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2008, 10:26:43 am »
I think "shuttlefighters" are lazy in design. Fighters are meant to be lean, fast, and dangerous. A shuttle with wings is, well, not.

btw: my problem with the stock fighter and thu11s heavy fighter bash is simply that the mapping sucks. I might go and remap them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2008, 03:42:10 pm »
Why haven't I seen anyone mess with this guy?

the mesh is by antivyrus, though, I've remapped a few parts. I plan to replace the nacelles with something better, though. Prolly rip a pair from one of WZ meshes... He meakes good nacelles.

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2008, 06:46:26 pm »
As far as I know, this was the only attempt to make a high-detail version of the Battleship. It seems the Mars and Ulysses class don't get much love- there's only one satisfactory DN out there made by Moonraker. Everyone else seems to use the Entente model.

Those exterior elevators look big in comparison though. Assuming the BB uses two Excelsior hulls, it looks like you could lift an entire Connie bridge on one of those pads.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »
As far as I know, this was the only attempt to make a high-detail version of the Battleship. It seems the Mars and Ulysses class don't get much love- there's only one satisfactory DN out there made by Moonraker. Everyone else seems to use the Entente model.

Those exterior elevators look big in comparison though. Assuming the BB uses two Excelsior hulls, it looks like you could lift an entire Connie bridge on one of those pads.

The Mars is a kitbash and can get plenty of love anywhere. You're right about the Ulysses, though. I have WZs old model on my harddrive, and its on the list to be retextured as well. What is the Entente? and what pads on the Yamato are you referring to?
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2008, 09:11:24 pm »
*Slaps forhead* I meant Yamato class, which you have pictured here. Not many high-detail models are made of this.

The Entente should be "Star Empire"- which is everyone's favorite tripple-nacelled Dreadnought (well, except Paramount's, since they claim FJ's designs are non-canon). I say 'Entente' because it is one of the FJ dreadnoughts of that class I can remember off the top of my head.

The pads on the Yamato I'm referring to are the large brown squares scattered on the primary hull. On the Enterprise, these are personal elevators that rise from the upper decks of the saucer to surface level. Kirk and Co. use them during The Motion Picture (When going to meet V'ger). If the secondary hulls on the Yamato are really excelsior-type hulls, by comparison those elevators look big enough to raise the entire bridge of the Refit constitution.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2008, 09:15:21 pm »
They're just colored panels to break up the monotony of the hull. -shrug- I might scale them down, might not. Take a look at the connie-sized bridge I've put onto the hull.

Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2008, 11:11:19 pm »
One of the boys over at Bridge Commander Central was doing a slight remap and total retexture of this ship.  However, it's been a while since any information was posted concerning the status of the ship.

I know the Yamato was supposed to be a huge beast of a ship, bigger than an Excelsior. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2008, 11:17:48 pm »
I suppose I was mistaken about the size... still... those are pretty big platforms.

I don't mean to be a pest, but have you considered when you will be releasing the models? Do you have an intended goal to have X many ships done before releasing them?

Also, do you intend on refitting other federation ships from SFC? The 'stock freighter' has never been re-done, as far as I can tell, and I know the forward command module was never properly done the way it was implied (I.e, a full circular deflector at the front with a bridge module slapped on top.)

The large blue freighters in game seem reminiscent of the Cargo haulers that made a cameo appearance in Spacedock, but the proportions seem to be off.

Otherwise, again, this is excellent work you're doing and I can't wait to standardize the fed fleet for SFC... especially with quality models such as these.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2008, 11:42:37 pm »
I wonder what the BCboy had planned for this model.

I do plan on releasing them, but I have no solid plans as to when. For right now I'm just having fun. I have a general list of ships to be done, but its liquidic.

I like the stock freighter, and I might just visit the design as well. I'm not sure what ship you're trying to show in that screencap.

btw: right now I'm actually replacing Khaliban's nacelles with WZ's. WZ's nacelles are a lot less poly intensive without being less detailed.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »
Though re-textured, this was the design I was talking about. It has a passing resemblance to that cameo ship, but the body is too wide, and it's far too large. I always assumed they were the same class, however.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2008, 12:10:50 am »
I'm actually a fan of the XMMER, too. I'll play with it along with the stock fed freighter.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2008, 01:55:14 am »
I wonder what the BCboy had planned for this model.

I think it was just a retexture with mapping fixes done.  You'd have to ask him though.  Goes by the name of Dr_McCoy_1701 I believe.  He's a nice guy, but busy.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2008, 07:18:50 am »
I like what you did with the Yamato Great Job.
 My only complaint with the design is that the bridge is hidden by the roll bar  I wonder what she would look like with the bridge in the
more standard postion?
Any one thing of doing a highed detailed model of the old Zeus class Battleship? thats basically an excelsior saucer with 2 excelsior secondary hulls
and 4 excelsior engines ?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2008, 08:08:08 am »
Thanks, FW. I'm sure when I'm closer to having these done, I will ask you guys for assistance. However, i will be hosting the models on my own site.

BG, the bridge location is where the bridge was on the original model. If you look at the aztec and gridlines everything sweeps to that point.
Btw, the Excelsior-Style yamato (called the Jupiter) was my model. I Might, MIGHT revisit it.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2008, 11:10:11 am »
Tug.

Just to let you all know, there will be 4 tugs.
 - A superlight (this guy, using a pod 2/3 the size of a normal pod)
 - A Light (using the ptolemy configuration carrying one standard pod)
 - A Heavy (also using the ptolemy config carrying a train of two pods)
 - A Superheavy (using excelsior parts on a ptolemy/miranda config carrying four pods)

Furthermore, there will be two dedicated freighters layed out like stock SFC2 freighter, one carrying six pods, the other carrying twelve.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2008, 11:31:10 am »
Heavy Freighter

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:18 am »
Strike Carrier.

The three major ships on my list are the Ulysses, Constellation, and Midway. I'll likely start one of those next. Stay tuned.
Robinomicon

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2008, 11:57:04 am »
I like what you've done with the Freighters using the Grissom primary hull is great . Looking forward to seeing the fleet in its entirety

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2008, 01:42:48 pm »
Thanks, BG. I'm looking forward to it, too, lol.

Midway Carrier. :-)
Robinomicon