Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273617 times)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »
All these retextures are looking really good but it's going to be a damn shame if there aren't equally as cool adversaries to play against.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2008, 02:07:44 pm »
All these retextures are looking really good but it's going to be a damn shame if there aren't equally as cool adversaries to play against.

Qapla'

KF

One step at a time :-P!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »

Qapla'

KF

Try taking bigger steps then
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2008, 03:24:50 pm »

Qapla'

KF

Try taking bigger steps then

Piffle
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 03:35:47 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2008, 04:25:32 pm »
I love that carrier :D Can't wait to see what your Ulysses looks like.

Suggestions on Freighters. For the ultralight, either re-texture the sensor pod white (to make it look like part of the cargo pod) or eliminate it all together. Looks kind of out of place where it is now, and an obvious bash to an awesome retexture.

For the heavy freighter, perhaps putting a shortened Connie navigational deflector pod on the underside would bring it closer to how it appears in the stock model. You could also use it to provide the carrier with a shuttle bay. Personally, I feel the design warrants a larger navigational deflector since it has the same cross-section size as a Connie (if not more). Little deflectors for things like the oberth, and a comparatively smaller cross-section of the Miranda, wouldn't cut it on a large freighter.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:14 pm »
I havent touched the freighter since I rendered that. I'll look into it, though the frieghter already has a shuttlepod - because of the oberth saucer. I'll look into a Navigation pod - be be warned, the freighter is already at about 6k polycount - i dont know if we want to push the limits, especially since you usualyl have more than one freighter in play.

In other news, the Midway is done.

Taking a small breather, and then starting on probably the Constellation, which will serve as a CAV (a heavy-cruised-sized carrier, as opposed to a proper CV like the midway.)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
This is true, and it was only a suggestion :)

Midway looks awesome. Personally I feel there would have been more markings at the bottom of the fantail, but feel free to ignore me since she's beautiful as-is :)

I always saw/used the Constellations as Galactic Survey Cruisers. This would explain why they were still in service in TNG, as they probably wouldn't fall under the label of a wartime class in a warship-phobic Federation of the 24th century.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2008, 06:49:45 pm »
I'll play with the shuttlebutt on the Midway. You're right, but I was getting burnt out on the model a little, lol.

It can be constellation tiem nao?
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2008, 08:04:03 pm »
I don't know how you did it, but that Constellation (so far) looks more appropriate for a TMP setting than any shot of a studio model I've seen from the show.

Brilliant!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2008, 10:21:01 pm »
the original textures from BC actually had the ALMOST same shade of white as my textures. I think the stargazer studio model was too grey, and lacked the pearlescent quality.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2008, 10:34:58 pm »
Thinking about it, I think the original Stargazer model overdid it on the rim-side greebles. Whereas the Reliant has a lot of greebling in the back trenches, they're out of the way and seem to be clustered in a specific spot while the rest of the design was streamlined. As most TMP ships are streamlined with little in the way of obtruding details (the Miranda being the exception, as stated above), the shooting model of the constellation feels out of place because of the odd details here and there (Saucer, brackets between nacelles).

My conspiracy senses tell me TNG's model builders used the Constellation to emphasize 'old and rickety' TMP ships in the TNG era. Good to see you're reversing this assumption with your re-texture :) Honestly I wasn't sure if I would like your treatment of the Constellation or not (as it isn't a 'true' TMP design), but it's looking like my pessimistic presumptions have been proven wrong.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2008, 11:41:56 pm »
I think you're right about them pushing the old-age look with the greebles. Look at the Soyuz as another example. I'm actually thinking about stripping the greebles off the constellation.

In any case I'm still plugging away on the Contie. Just need to finish up the nacelles and bash on better parts, ie: bridge, impulse deck and crystals, etc.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2008, 01:08:44 am »
Constellation is done.

The model only had one bay, the rest were textured on. I may revisit it and add the additional bays via texture, like on the original model. In the meantime, however, I believe one bay that is four decks tall is more than sufficient to allow the Constellation to serve as a CAV.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2008, 09:30:33 am »
Ulysses Dreadnought WIP

As you can see I still have the main hull, the pods, and the neck, though you can't see that last part.

EDIT:
First post has a running list of ships. - please let me know if I am missing any canon or major fanon ships.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:51:15 am by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:18 am »
Another option for a medium sized carrier is the FASA fan made USS Illustrious:

http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/dist/index.php/file,8f28fc9b06018d72a7764cae9ce2ba66.zip

The Ulysses looks great so far!

Maybe the D2 model pack can be revised now that these models will be available...

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2008, 12:52:14 pm »
I am not a fan of FASA designs, not in the slightest. The chandley is the only one that has gotten SEMI under my skin and I know its a FASA-fan favorite. The illustrious isn't bad, actually. I'll let it fester for a bit, but I hold no promises.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2008, 01:43:10 pm »
Ulyesses is done :-)

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:13 pm »
Davids-class medium cruiser

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:21 pm »
Trooper-class monitor.

The design for this and the Davids were originally Mackies, but I've rebashed them. In the case of the Trooper, of course, I've used Nitcoris nacelles. The idea of the Trooper is a heavy low-warp-capable ship designed for system defense.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2008, 04:03:56 pm »
I really like the Trooper with the warp engines you put on her. I've always liked the idea of a monitor (per the FASA description of the role), and have been mis-using the Soyuz for that role up until now, for want of something better. That Trooper fills the role nicely.