Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273544 times)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #360 on: May 13, 2009, 11:35:01 am »
Would this mean the original constitutions reverted to national service after the Enterprise class replaced them, or are they new builds for the national fleet while Starfleet's Connies were refitted?

Looks like she takes color cues from the new Enterprise- blue on white. I like it :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #361 on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:28 am »
Like I said - I'm not really sure how I want it to all be layed out. Originally I was thinking that the Consitution1 was developed and built by Earth, owned by Earth, but like all other ships, often served in joint Federation operations. When the Connie2 came about, the Con1 was basically phased out - maybe kept on for garrison duties.

Edit:
Making Progress
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:34:34 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #362 on: May 13, 2009, 01:48:48 pm »
Very interesting. I'm looking forward too it.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #363 on: May 13, 2009, 05:55:37 pm »
Maybe to offset costs Starfleet sold some of the ships to national service to offset the cost of refitting the others?

A question to answer is "Is the Enteprrise class a refit of the Constitution, or an entirely new class from the keel up?" If the former, then the Consitutiton has seen Starfleet service, and those that weren't refitted reverted to national guard duty. If the latter, then the new design could have been based on the successful connie and pressed into widespread starfleet service.

At some point or another the template for saucers-nacelles-hulls is going to have to be defined for the Federation to follow. If the Consitution is an earth-only design, then why are the Andorians borrowing the saucer shape for the Loknar?

Whatever the case this ship looks pretty. Why did you clip the ends off the navigational deflector though?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2009, 08:31:26 pm »
Maybe to offset costs Starfleet sold some of the ships to national service to offset the cost of refitting the others?

A question to answer is "Is the Enteprrise class a refit of the Constitution, or an entirely new class from the keel up?" If the former, then the Consitutiton has seen Starfleet service, and those that weren't refitted reverted to national guard duty. If the latter, then the new design could have been based on the successful connie and pressed into widespread starfleet service.

At some point or another the template for saucers-nacelles-hulls is going to have to be defined for the Federation to follow. If the Consitution is an earth-only design, then why are the Andorians borrowing the saucer shape for the Loknar?

Whatever the case this ship looks pretty. Why did you clip the ends off the navigational deflector though?

Memory Omega Constitution2-class Entry
Eh - the Loknar isn't andorian in my mind - I know the history says it is - but I like the Kumari as andorian - so the loknar doesn't fit into Andorian lineage - unless it was a joint development project. But again, I emphasize that I don't know how I want the federation to work, yet.

The clipped deflector? because I thought it looked cool.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:45:00 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #365 on: May 13, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »

Trying to decide between the Blue backlit or the Orange backlit.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2009, 01:33:14 am »
With the current colours you are using go orange. The blue is making to much blue being used, the orange is a nice offset and matches the deflector better
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #367 on: May 14, 2009, 01:38:39 am »
I would recommend using both, and letting people decide which they wish to use.  I love the work you're doing.  I can't wait to play with the ship in game.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2009, 07:56:16 am »
Perhaps all the major member states have their own shipyards, but build from the same designs?  That could explain why ships are crewed by mostly one species, like the Enterprise with only one confirmed Vulcan and Andorian, as well as the ships with purely Vulcan crews.  In my little universe, USS stands for Unified Starfleet Ship, with ships built by various members but placed under a unified command structure.  Originally the Federation kept the various member state fleets in service, since they were undoubtedly composed of many ships built for the Romulan war, but as they wore out they were replaced with standardized designs, like the Constitution and the Surya.  The Daedalus was a joint project incorporating technologies from all the allies, which is why it is so different from earlier Earth ships according to The Starfleet Museum.

Given the depiction of Vulcan, the U.N. analogy is actually necessary.  It at least was not fully incorporated into the same government as Earth.

Since the Enterprise's deflector is only orange/gold when it is powered down while in port, blue makes more sense.  What if you made the hull more white with the highlights grey/silver? 

I have come to dislike the huge deflector dish.  It doesn't make sense that it is necessary for Federation explorers or heavy cruisers but not for any other ships, Federation or otherwise.  I'm beginning to wish Jefferies had made a much smaller dish with other structures on the end of the hull to make it interesting, like a big hatch, an observation deck, or maybe the torpedo launchers.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2009, 11:54:49 am »
Perhaps all the major member states have their own shipyards, but build from the same designs?  That could explain why ships are crewed by mostly one species, like the Enterprise with only one confirmed Vulcan and Andorian, as well as the ships with purely Vulcan crews.  In my little universe, USS stands for Unified Starfleet Ship, with ships built by various members but placed under a unified command structure.  Originally the Federation kept the various member state fleets in service, since they were undoubtedly composed of many ships built for the Romulan war, but as they wore out they were replaced with standardized designs, like the Constitution and the Surya.  The Daedalus was a joint project incorporating technologies from all the allies, which is why it is so different from earlier Earth ships according to The Starfleet Museum.

Given the depiction of Vulcan, the U.N. analogy is actually necessary.  It at least was not fully incorporated into the same government as Earth.

Food for thought :-)

Since the Enterprise's deflector is only orange/gold when it is powered down while in port, blue makes more sense.  What if you made the hull more white with the highlights grey/silver? 

The deflector powered down = orange, and powered up = blue was in the movie sure - but I retain the right to change whatever I want :-P. Besides - in this case, it isn't the deflector itself, its just a backlit surface - like a giant projector screen thats being illuminated.

I have come to dislike the huge deflector dish.  It doesn't make sense that it is necessary for Federation explorers or heavy cruisers but not for any other ships, Federation or otherwise.  I'm beginning to wish Jefferies had made a much smaller dish with other structures on the end of the hull to make it interesting, like a big hatch, an observation deck, or maybe the torpedo launchers.

Eh, I'm okay with it.

Bottom Hull

EDIT:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:51:48 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2009, 01:23:29 pm »
She is comming along very nicely. I like the artical too. Very good work.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2009, 02:40:15 pm »
Thanks, Starfox.

What do you guys want to see me release next?
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »
Personally I'd want one of the "Big Three"- Constitution Refit, Miranda, or Excelsior. Of the latter two, I haven't seen a design that I'm satisfied with. No Miranda model has been perfect with detail and geometry, and Adonis' Excelsior variants are MIA.

Aside from those, the Akula is always welcome. I love that little ship :) I also like the Loknar too....

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #373 on: May 14, 2009, 04:02:12 pm »
Personally I'd want one of the "Big Three"- Constitution Refit, Miranda, or Excelsior. Of the latter two, I haven't seen a design that I'm satisfied with. No Miranda model has been perfect with detail and geometry, and Adonis' Excelsior variants are MIA.

Aside from those, the Akula is always welcome. I love that little ship :) I also like the Loknar too....

Unfortunately I cannot release the Excelsiors until LC Amaral gives his okay. I'm afraid that he was subject to a string of incidents where he did not receive proper respect with his works. I do have my own Excelsior model, but I very much like his more.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2009, 04:05:34 pm »
Thanks, Starfox.

Surprise us! This is like Christmas! I have to say, you're Abbe has become the favorite ship in my fleet.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #375 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »
...the Akula is always welcome. I love that little ship :) I also like the Loknar too....

I would love to have the Akula and the Loknar next please. ;)

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #376 on: May 14, 2009, 04:18:09 pm »
Thanks, Starfox.

Phobos/Loknar, Akula, Constitution Refit, and the Excelsior would be nice.  I can understand about LC's credits.  However, you may want to examine the hull mesh of his Excelsior very closely.  I remember seeing some mesh errors on it not too long ago when I was working on a kitbash.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »

Unfortunately I cannot release the Excelsiors until LC Amaral gives his okay. I'm afraid that he was subject to a string of incidents where he did not receive proper respect with his works. I do have my own Excelsior model, but I very much like his more.

I don't think that one is going to come up for a while. I heard that it's one of the ships slated for use in Star Trek Excalaber and that all the models put up for that project are off the realese list for now but this infor is about 6 months old. Might I recomend the P81 mesh instead.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2009, 01:22:10 pm »
I thought it was Adonis' Excelsior thats going to be in Excalibur. I can't stand the p81 excel meshes.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2009, 01:43:11 pm »
Don't know about Adonis' Excelsior being in Excalibur, but chances are it probably will be.  That or Wiley's Excelsior mesh.