Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276526 times)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1580 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:28 pm »
Heh, I saw them as a 2% improvement :P

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #1581 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:58 am »
Reminds me of when I kitbashed the I.S.S. Anubis.  I used the same Ulysses Class engines.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1582 on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:50 am »
Bear in mind that that was the New Jersey, so its a BC, not a CA. She's got a wider body and a lower profile. Typical SFB-bash stuff.

Also: I screwed up the Excelsior2 Texture Bake - I would've gotten it out last night, but I realized it this morning. Back to work on it.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1583 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:27 pm »
If you're bashing about, how about this one: Remove the bottom nacelles on the Constellation class and replace it with a secondary hull from a constitution. Scaling the saucer to be thinner is optional.

This particular example seems to have appeared in a 1991 TNG comic, and for a while it was thought the Challenger from Wolf 359 was of this class.

Thought it would make an interesting new heavy cruiser attempt, or a variant on the Galactic Explorer.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1584 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »
The Kzinti and ISC ships need to be rebaked. Remember that new texturing technique I made? well, not all of my ships had it.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #1585 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »
Hey, Fury, when will you be reposting the Churchill to your site? Will you be applying your new textures to it?

One more question: Will you be releasing a version with the two primary hull hanger bays like the original version?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1586 on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »
Hey, Fury, when will you be reposting the Churchill to your site? Will you be applying your new textures to it?

Whenever I get done with the Canon ships and the klinks that KF asked for.

One more question: Will you be releasing a version with the two primary hull hanger bays like the original version?

Maybe? There is no geometry for the shuttlebays and it seems cheap to just texture them on - I'd have to go back and model them in, which wouldn't be a problem except that I'm lazy.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #1587 on: May 30, 2011, 02:05:26 pm »
I'm right there with you on feeling lazy. I'm supposed to be taking a skills test, and I just can't get myself into it.  ::)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1588 on: May 30, 2011, 05:16:34 pm »
The real reason is I got distracted by writing the new Wiki plugin for Robinomicon :) - had to revamp a few things for viewing, editing, deleting permissions :)
Robinomicon

Offline Anarion

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1589 on: June 02, 2011, 05:46:06 am »
Hello.

I can't believe that this thread has gone on so long.  I have seen some good work here.  I am pleased that there are people still out there willing to put the time and effort to keep this alive.  Kudos to all of you!

Anarion.

Offline Anarion

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1590 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:41 am »
When I designed the Churchill, I wanted to make it look mean, but I also wanted it to look like a transition between the 23rd and the 24th century cannon ships.  That is why I put the ribs on top of the nacelles  (like the Ambassador class).  There are other design characeristics which are obvious.  But if you want an engineering reason for the "ribs"; They are extra armor over each warp coil.  That armor can be detached when damaged and replaced.  Also, if that warp coil is destroyed, it also can be easilly replaced without refitting the entire warp nacelle.

Anarion.

Offline Anarion

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1591 on: June 02, 2011, 06:51:03 am »
Everything about the Churchill design is about battle.  I was tired of the Klingons beating our Starships.  (This was in the days before the Defiant).  It has two indepenent warp cores, fore and aft torpedo bays, forward firing phaser cannons, two heavy scout shuttles and a compliment of marines.

Anarion

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #1592 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »
The Churchill is easily one of my favorite models. I replaced battle-cruisers in my ship lineup, and renamed them CKE (large exploratory cruisers). I have Churchill MK1's (no drones) and MKII's (drones, increased shields, increased power) as my CKE's.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1593 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »
FoaS,

Please light up the standard and kitbashed Sivista's *COUGH* deflector (aka forward and rear torpedo tube). The kitbash version with the warp engine under the command boom needs to be uniform as well. It's a well known fact that the Federation flatheads stole the idea of multi-vector assualt ships from the Klingons... The Klingons would also have rear deflectors to keep their forward weapon arcs facing the enemy while forced to use a retrograde manuever.

Also please post the B-10 next. The B-10 will also need a kitbash with the Qahos tug pods added to it to be a suitable higher poly substitute for the version used in OPPLUS 4.1

I am warming to the idea of only using ships that have deflectors and will be revamping my personal fleets accordingly.

Unfortunately, the Romulan and Mirak fleets haven't been released in their entirety yet so I guess I will have to wait...

Keep up the great work and release something soon..

Qapla'
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1594 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:07 pm »
The TOS roms have been released. The TMP Roms are still sitting on my HD unmapped, let alone textured.

My sivista should have a deflector on the front, but I closed up the rear one (what you say makes sense, but aesthetically it just seems silly).

The B10+pods always seemed like a silly design, even if there is an SFB Precident to it. I'll see what I can do.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1595 on: June 14, 2011, 01:23:36 am »
Hey FoAS, here's something to try;

Hansen's dropped dialogue from Balance of Terror was supposed to implicit that the Romulans stole warp technology from the Federation to use in their latest vessel. Visually, this is supported by the passingly similar warp nacelles on the Bird of Prey. If you still got the Kelvin nacelles lying around, how about a kitbash on a BoP to convey this impression?

Also wondered what the nacelles from WZ's Resolute class would look like on a BoP. For some reason I really like the trailing edges on that model... not so much the large round bulb, but I think it would fit with some portrayals of the BoP.

Also? Your site's broke. Just has a paragraph of introductory text, unformatted, and little else.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1596 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:19 am »
Ack, yeah, sorry I'm messing with some code. Will revert in a second and add the feature later >.< - sorry about that.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1597 on: June 14, 2011, 01:56:49 am »
I'm not really sure how I feel about Rom's stealing it from the feds. I hate the idea of Roms not having warp drive or else how would they be able to even get out of the Romulas/Remus system. Even the SFB explination of Non-Tactical Warp never sit well with me. I prefer to go with the idea that they only had ineffective fusion power instead of matter/anti-matter (casually referred to as warp power) reactors.
Robinomicon

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #1598 on: June 14, 2011, 03:52:58 am »
Non-tactical warp makes fair sense.  It is along the lines of Star Wars jumps. 

Roms didn't have sensors good anough to keep up with a long term warp jump.   Thus they had to sit, scan out ahead, and make short jumps to the extent of the sensors.  As it would be short jumps the engines would be built to that limit.  Getting warp tech (SFB gave Roms warp tech from klingons not Feds), would include getting better sensor arrays, thus being able to use the better engines.

But to each their own on interpreting TOS.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1599 on: June 14, 2011, 03:58:00 am »
I could definitely see that, marstone. Perhaps I will use a combination of both in my own universe. Insufficient power from non-matter/antimatter reactors combined with low-grade sensors means that early Romulans moved slowly and in short increments. The Romulan Commander's comment of longing for the stars of home could indicate both a feeling of desperation that I'm sure it was intended to, and an expression of the fact that he's been away from home for a long time (warp-hopping around the area for a long while).

As far as SFB, in my own interpretation battles usually take place at sublight speeds, so Tactical-warp becomes a moot technological distinction - I can ignore the fluid physics of the game easily enough as I do the two-dimensionality of it.
Robinomicon