Topic: Lowpoly Model project - pics inside.  (Read 27348 times)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: Lowpoly Model project - pics inside.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 02:57:40 am »
Magnum, I'd beg to differ about your opinion on the stock Gorn DN. Personally I feel the "Flying Boulder in space" look is justified. The gorn are reptilian after all, what is more fitting an image than being attacked by the prehistoric vision of a titanic, fireball-sligning tooth-shaped rock in space manned by a race of dinosaurs?

The point of the gorn DN/BB is to look massive and intimidating. The Gorn BB is the largest warship 'constructed' in all of SFB, is it not? The Gorn DN brings this point across... after all, Gorn ships are supposed to be larger than their counterparts to reflect their size and ability to take punishment.

Besides, one of the reasons why I disliked the FASA designs was because there was little imagination between the given designs. They were pretty much the same brick with little variation between them. I dislike a lot of the SFB range for the same reason since a lot of the races-other-than-the-federation have little variance between their hulls (The Klingons as an example). Gorn ships in the SFB range look alike... perhaps too much alike for a space combat simulator like Starfleet Command.

Which is why the KA models are so successful in terms of the Gorn. They all convey the vision of tough lizard-like builders whose square brick hulls and stone-shaped spaceships can weather tremendous punishment before being put out of action. If only ramming was possible in SFC, then the solid look of the Gorn vessels would be further justified.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 07:37:00 am »
Nicely done  ;D

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 04:28:27 pm »
Dogfighter, are you going to send those ships to me, or do you want to scrap that idea?  I ask because I'm very interested in these models.   :)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:27 am »
Magnum, please check your email. 10 models just arrived :D was too bussy yesterday.

think i got a solution for the gorn dn. ill show you all  later. illumination maps for the models are in the works as well.
since im at it. anyone interested to help with modeling? 13 models for 10 races and additional stuff is lots of work for one person alone.
basic design concepts, raw models or complete modeling would be very much appriciated.

does someonehave the email of chris jones? want to ask him some things about sfc1 modding. especialy how to get all weapons usable by all races. if there is a way to do that. if not i think ill have to switch for to sfc2 or op for the mod. however the models will be for available for sfc1 as well.

btw.: 1. are fcx and fdx on the wichlist too?  

2. im unsure about my english - please ignore grammar issues - im not a native speaker and i know sometimes some sentences might be hard to understand. if somethings unclear please ask - ill try to answer in a more correct manner.

ed :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:59:31 am by dogfighter »
your sssship iss ssssoft!

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »
Your English seems readable to me..

If this is a modification for SFC1, then I don't see the need for the CX series. Rather, focus on Starbases (and perhaps planets for sake of consistency?) Before moving on to things considered in SFC2-OP.

If you're talking about modifying the weapons in SFC1, how about giving us something like the AMD?

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 01:15:32 am »
Dogfighter, thanks for the models.  I'll see what I can do with them.  Like I said, I've never converted Lightwave models before so I don't know if it will work.

yochenhsieh

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 02:26:55 am »
Hello,
I'm already making a SFC1 mod which consists of KA & Thu11s models. I like your idea of low poly models. Would you mind send these models to me, or we could work together?

Thanks,

You-Cheng Hsieh

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:48 am »
Dogfighter, thanks for the models.  I'll see what I can do with them.  Like I said, I've never converted Lightwave models before so I don't know if it will work.

Magnum, I'm willing to help as well, and I've a good deal of experience converting .LWO meshes (specifically Mackie's).  ;)

If you need a hand, throw a few my way and I'll help as I can.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 03:55:56 pm »
i updated the models . they now can have illumination textures. and i created some sfc1 like textures for all of them. now i can go on modeling. the kbop is comming along well. after i remapped it. picture shows the bop about 70% completed. and i bashed up a fcx. 640 tripples.no big modification of the conny just a new neck, pylons and engines + some very minor theaking of the mesh + some minor retexturework.
based on the design of on of wickedzobies ships.

I zipped all the models up, now including all textures, illumination textures (just the files - not applied) and sfc1 textures (the standart textures just darker and the lights slightly brighter)
the fcx is included.

heres the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/193097343/models.rar.html

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:30 pm »
Dogfighters, well... I got some good news and some bad news.  First the good news.  I was successful porting over the models to Milkshape, there latest drivers are able to do this if you get them at there website.  The bad news, the way you structured the models and textures, in addition how Milshapes handles things made for some errors when exporting the models to .mod format.  Unfortunetly, this would take me a lot longer then I had thought it would and would require me to change/edit a lot of your models to make them work in Milkshape. 

Since atheorhaven volunteered to help, you might have to rely on him for the total conversion of your models to .mod format.  Its not impossible for me to do it, but it would requie me to change a ton of stuff to make them "look" right. 

But... I still wouln't mind making a few "kitbashes" of these models, with your permission.

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »
i think i know what youre talking about. lightwave can export to 3ds for example - but it spoils the uv maps. when i open the file in gmax there is no smoothing no uv map and no texture at all. the funny thing is - when i open the 3ds file in lightwave it works fine - textures etc.
so i know the troubles you talk about only too well.
thats one of the reasons i need help - simply because i cant figure it out myself. but big thanx for giving it a try :) 
i hope authorheaven has more luck then we had. :)

of cause you can kitbash them the way you want. tell me when you need additional parts.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »
The whole lineup looks lovely. Makes me wish I could have physical models of all of them. Even the CX

yochenhsieh

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »
Hello all, I have good news and bad news....

The good news, I can import dogfighter's lwo models in Blender, and export it to 3ds. The exported 3ds model can be imported in GMax.
The bad news, the texture mapping will not be exported and imported. I'm still seeking solution.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:13 am »
Let me give it a shot tonight with my gear at home.  If I get them, I'll upload a .ZIP file containing the .MODs into this thread..

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 12:54:50 pm »
BIG thanx for giving it a try atheorhaven. :)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »
Thank me if I get something.. otherwise, I'm burning my own time.  ;)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »
more wips.
sydney class small fa gorn dn and fsb.
sydney class is about 550 tripples gorn dn is abot 460 but will get some more details. fsb is at 1560 tripples. ill go up to 1800 with the fsb because i want to add some shuttles and workbees inside the stations docking area.

ed :D

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 05:24:23 pm »
That Gorn DN looks great.

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 05:30:54 pm »
Aye, the DN is an excellent compromise.

What's the Syndey supposed to represent? Freighters?

Looking forward to seeing the Starbase completed. So far there's been no love for the classic design- all the ones on Battleclinic are fanmade starbases :\

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 05:54:44 pm »
the sydney class is a medium sized freighter/ personal transport ship. it will fill the role of  small phaser armed freighters in the mod. there is no other use for it in game i think. its just there bacause i like the look and its a canon ship.

there will be a larger freighter too. a modular design with containers. so i can have small ,medium and large freighters. all races will get modular freighters. not sure about the design yet. the original sc1 model looks kinda boring. however it fits the description very well. maybe ill combine it with some own modifications.

the gorn fa will be similar to the one in orion pirates.
the only thing im not a fan of a carriers.  to much fighter stuff in the game imho. ill do something like the midway carrier - but smaller. excelsior is ment to fill the dreadnought bb role in my mod while constellation fills the bc role. time will tell. at my current speed making all the models will tak alot of time anyway.