Topic: Lowpoly Model project - pics inside.  (Read 27044 times)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
Lowpoly Model project - pics inside.
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »
Had some time lately and mande soem models. they are very lowpoly - more like armada or sfc 1  - but i wanted to show them anyway. im thinking about an sfc1 mod. just for the sake of nostalgia.

oberth class 482 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
akula class  580 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
loknar class 742 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
miranda class 749 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
constitution class 718 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
constellation class 1348 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
excelsior 977 tripples , 2 512x512 textures
fed shuttle 92 tripples , 1 256x256 texture
ktinga 453 tripples , 1 512x512 texture
bop wip 555 tripples , 1 512x512 texture
gorn bch 456 tripples , 1 512x512 texture

im planning to do complete fleets including stations and drydocks.

however - the models are in lwo format. is there a way to convert them. i have some expierience with retexturing (ganymad) but im not firm when it comes to model formats and so on. these are not my first models but i never tried to convert stuff.

ed :D
your sssship iss ssssoft!

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Lowpoly Model project - pics inside.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:05 pm »
looking good.  I know the armada community would be interested in these should you decide to share.

http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/afc/modules.php?name=Forums

http://forums.filefront.com/st-a2-modding-editing-139/

Milkshape can import some versions of lwo

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
All of those models are excellent!  I would love to download these for SFC1 or OP, as the stock models are nowhere as good as these.  Have you tried Milkshape for conversion?  I use Milkshape a lot, and it allows you to Import a .LWO model (have no idea what version), then you could export it as a .mod model for SFC.  Unfortunetly, you can't make .brk models with it, but Milkshape should allow it to convert for you.

If you send me what you got, I could try it out.

mini14_ruger@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:56:33 pm by Magnum357 »
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:09 pm »
You can convert LWO to SFC.. I wrote a tutorial on it back in 2003.

But basically:

a) Check to make sure that you can open the archive first
b) Extract all the files.  Check for permissions, the author may not allow porting/modifications
c) If the author allows porting and modifications, open the mesh in Deep Hemisphere, 3ds Exploration, PolyArc, Ultimate Unwrap.. anything that will open LWO and save 3DS
d) Import the new 3DS file into 3dStudio Max, Milkshape, or Gmax
e) Rotate the all items in the mesh so that the nose of the ship is facing you in the front view, and the body line is on the ecliptic in the grid viewer.  You need to spin everything so that you’ve looking down the ship’s length in the front view with the top being the top and that sort of thing.

f) Get rid of the boxes (objects) surrounding the mesh pieces.
g) Acquire the material list and mapping from the mesh
h) Convert the texture files to .BMP
i) Go in and change (if necessary) the texture extensions in the mesh
j) Save the file as a .3ds file for safety’s sake
k) Apply self-illumination maps to make it SFC 2 (and 3) compatible
l) Save the file as a .MOD file as a test and backup
m) Join all objects in the mesh to one object
n) check it ingame or in the ModViewer
o) Import a suitable UI from a stock Taldren model for damage and hardpoints
p) Make a break .MOD (for SFC 2/3) and _VL, _TI, _BS shots (SFC3)
q) Properly credit the original author of the mesh you're porting!

It's a good amount of work, but done right.. it usually turns out well.  In your screenshots, it appears that you're using some WZ45, GAFY and  p81 textures as tests (?)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »
Ill try to convert them :)  i hope to have some ready soon- the textures are handdrawn by myself. however - i looked at alot of models to compare and to get the look right. so certain similarities are there for sure. havent figuered out the registries on fed ships. so i left them blank.
there arent many canon ships/bases to do so its getting easier. comparing again and again takes alot of time ;) the constitution took 4 days - because of comparing pictures and models. the gorn bch wich is only loosly based on the stock gorn ca took only 1 day to complete.

at the moment im still in a fight wth the uv map of the klingon bop. made some mistakes in it that im now fighting with. but i think ill have it ready at the end of the weekend.

im eager to make more gorns.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 04:49:19 pm »
Ill try to convert them :)  i hope to have some ready soon- the textures are handdrawn by myself. however - i looked at alot of models to compare and to get the look right. so certain similarities are there for sure. havent figuered out the registries on fed ships. so i left them blank.
there arent many canon ships/bases to do so its getting easier. comparing again and again takes alot of time ;) the constitution took 4 days - because of comparing pictures and models. the gorn bch wich is only loosly based on the stock gorn ca took only 1 day to complete.

at the moment im still in a fight wth the uv map of the klingon bop. made some mistakes in it that im now fighting with. but i think ill have it ready at the end of the weekend.

im eager to make more gorns.

I like the Gorn ships you have posted here. It is so awesome to see more non-Federation ships out there.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »
I am so happy you made that Gorn!

NO offense, but the stock one is **** and all the others of that chassis are simple retextures. I am glad you actually remodeled the design!!!

My inner lizard eagerly awaits more Gorn ships to come...

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »
Since I've unpakced SFC1 and started to play it again, I'm interested in what becomes of this :)

I just hope it eventually sees the light of release. There's just too much good stuff that we see but never get our hands on :\

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:41:50 am »
Yes, I agree with others, these low poly models are just what this community needs for SFC.  They would be espeically helpful for some of us (like myself) that uses older computers that just don't have the hardware to run complex models. 

As for Federation Regestries, I say keep them blank.  I like Blank Fed regestries so I can imput my own in my own games.  I agree with others about the Gorn ship, most people base Gorn ships on SFB because most are not too impressed with the Taldren design layout, but your BCH model really helps give the Taldren "Box" ships a much needed face lift.  If you can do this with Gorn, I really look forward to your Klingon, Romulan and other races in SFC.   :)

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:25 am »
My first list includes complete sets (shuttle, scout/frigate, destroyer, light cruiser, heavy cruiser, battlecruiser, dreadnought, basestation, starbase, listeningpost, drydock, defenseplattform , fighters/pf) of models for the federation klingon romulan gorn and tholian. once finished i plan to make complete sets for lyran mirak isc hydran and andromedan as well.
monsters w3ill get a facelift as well.

lots of stuff to come

intermech

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:40:01 am »
These look great man! A good artist does not need a lot of polygons to make a good model. This is the kind of stuff I prefer to download!

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »
thanx folks  :) im glad you like the models.
i will start to texture another gorn today. ill post pics before i go to bed.

@magnum - ill have the models packed and ready for conversion tomorow. could you give it a try ?  :) how big a file will your email tolerate? or shall i upload them somewhere?

please note - the models dont have hardpoints yet - i dont know how this is done. same with break models.
however i will make illumination maps during the next week. i plan to make sfc1 and sfc2 compatible versions.

Ed  ;D

PS.: A question to shiplistmodders: is it possible to give klingons photon torpedoes in sfc1? i never modded sfc1 before. im used to orion pirates.
however i want to make a canonbased mod for sfc1 as i realy love the music and the campaigns in that game much more than in sfc2 or op.  i wished they would star the sfc4 project on sfc1. as far as i know there is a working mission editor for sfc1 - would be a good start. illumination maps and damagetextures and moddable weapons + efects and firing arcs  would realy add to the game. sfc4 is based on sfc2 right?

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:43 pm »
These are really nice! I like how the Bird of Prey is coming along. The stock version was okay but this is a lot better.

You are correct - SFC4 is based on EAW. I do agree with you about the music and campaign missions for SFC1, though. Modding SFC1 is just like OP. The shiplist text file is there, it's just named something different (____13.txt). So if you want to, you can open up the shiplist and give the Klingons photon torpedoes. The only possible problem might be that photons aren't coded to use the Klingon interface in SFC1, but there should be a way around that if it is a trouble.

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »
Dogfighter, I would be happy to give your models a try for conversion.  I actually am a little excited about these models because I already have a few ideas for kitbashes (with your permission of course).  I've never really tried converting .LWO models before, but I could use atheorhaven's tips and give it go... Milkshape might work.  But like I said above, I can't make .brk models with Milkshape, you will need to use some other modeling program for that. 

I don't have a problem if the models don't have Hardpoints, I couldn't figure that out either with SFC.  Since the ships are technically only a tiny fraction of the size in the game, having the weapons fire from a small point isn't a big deal for me (others might look at that differently though).  I read some advice on how to add hardpoints to SFC ships with Milkshape, but I couldn't make it work right either.

If you do send what models you have, please send them to my Yahoo email account above.  Its the only email that will let me accept downloaded files and it holds up to 10 MB's of space.  Is that enough?

If you want to do some moding for SFC1, just download the utility called "Shipedit Version 2.0" on the Dynaverse's website.  Its design to specifically edit SFC1.  The only problem with SFC1 is that you can't add ships to SFC1 (well... you can, but its really tricky and its a bit limited compared to EAW or OP).  But I do agree with you, SFC1 was an awsome game, it even has a few features EAW and OP don't have.

If they ever do make this SFC4 (I'm not holding my breath for it though), I hope they do base is more on SFC1, more then EAW (with all the goodies of EAW and OP though).  If your in contact with the developers Dogfighter, you should suggest letting them use your Low Poly models for SFC4, to help out the "Low end" computer users like myself.   :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:43:17 pm by Magnum357 »

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:37:49 pm »
Actually, after looking at the Dynaverses website, I found it strange that Shipedit V2.0 is not listed.   :o  Does anyone know where Shipedit v2.0 is for SFC1?  I thought Dyanverse.net had it listed. 

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »
Actually, after looking at the Dynaverses website, I found it strange that Shipedit V2.0 is not listed.   :o  Does anyone know where Shipedit v2.0 is for SFC1?  I thought Dyanverse.net had it listed.

Starfleet Universe had it, and I just grabbed it.

I'll upload 'er to Battleclinic so there's a copy there..

(edit: Had uplaoded it, and there's already a copy).

http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/dock.php?id=4672&r=scripts/tools&do=del

..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline dogfighter

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 04:30:54 pm »
Thanx for the offering of help and the clarifications about modding. and thanx for uploading shipedit. i wasnt aware there was a shipedit for sfc1 :) i appriciate all that alot.

heres some more pics of the conny, loknar, ktinga, gbch and the wip of the gca.
btw. i also started a gdn but somehow i cant make it look right. any designwishes? it will get these drumlike engines and alot of glowing areas, thats for sure but im split between a design close to the old stock model and something similar to the gdx. im unsure wich way to go.

i have no problem with kitbashes and modifications at all. just give credit.

ed  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:41:55 pm by dogfighter »

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
I actually liked the way Taldren did the Gorn. Much, much better than the "things" FASA gives us for TMP Gorn, anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the ships look 'cartoony'. I actually like this for the same reason I keep stock models for SFC1. Sometimes simple and crude is nice.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 06:07:21 pm »
I actually liked the way Taldren did the Gorn. Much, much better than the "things" FASA gives us for TMP Gorn, anyway.

I agree 100% but will add I don't like the SFB style Gorn that much either.

Please release the Gorn ships so I can tinker with them.... mwa ha ha!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:34 am »
btw. i also started a gdn but somehow i cant make it look right. any designwishes? it will get these drumlike engines and alot of glowing areas, thats for sure but im split between a design close to the old stock model and something similar to the gdx. im unsure wich way to go.

i have no problem with kitbashes and modifications at all. just give credit.

ed  ;D

Dogfighter, I would like to give my opinion on the Taldren Gorn DN.  Personally, I never quite liked it.  Reminds me of a flying boulder in space with no warp engines.   ::)   In SFB, the Gorn DN is basically a "Tri-hull" design, basically a CA that has a greatly extended third hull and HUGE warp engines (many beleived this is the biggest you could make a warp engine with current technology, as Battleships were conjectural in SFB).  Instead of just copying the Taldren design, how about base the DN on your BCH and add a third square hull in the middle to somewhat follow this same partern.  Maybe make Thicker drum warp engines, or add 1 or two more Drum warp engines to compensate for such a large hull.  Anything would be better then the Taldren DN in my opinion.

As for Norsehound indicated, I don't mind the "cartoony" look, as much as people don't realize this, it allows a bit of flexibilty in texturing, and you can always update the textures if you want a more "realistic" look.