Topic: The FoaS release thread.... MY GOD HE ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING!  (Read 14205 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
NOTICE

Site registration no longer needed to access downloads - however, I'd still appreciate it if people registered and left there feedback on the forums.

My Releases.

- Churchill-Class Heavy Cruiser - v2.0
 - Lexington-Class Heavy Cruiser - v2.0
 - Abbe-Class Torpedo Destroyer
 - Ulysses-Class Dreadnaught
 - Juva-class Betelgeusian Star Cruiser - IN MEMORIAM
 - Loknar-class Light Cruiser
 - Okinawa-class Frigate
 - Nitocris-class Light Cruiser
 - Excelsior-class Prototype, Excelsior-class and Excelsior2-class Battlecruisers
 - Lara'atan-class Light Cruiser and the K't'inga-class and Sivista-class Heavy Cruisers
 - V'kar Zadan-class Destroyer, Kelicos light dreadnought, and K'nell Qul battlecruiser

Old Post
Hey guys,

I'm creating this topic to inform you all that the Churchill-Class Heavy Cruiser has been released. It is available for download at my site, (you have to register, mwahahaha).

Feel free to poke around, too. The forums are open to any who are registered, and leave comments on the download page if you'd like :-).

Robinomicon
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:23:03 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: The FoaS release thread.... MY GOD HE ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:47:53 am »
blocked unless you register..can ya upload at Battleclinic...don't feel like needing to register for one file..that's just dumb.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:16:14 pm »
It won't just be one file for very long. Don't like it? don't download it.
I'd rather not have my stuff on battleclinic for now.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »
I like the ship..but why does every place need to register? Enough is enough, I don't want a username and password for every frigggen site. I got enough of them. If you want to send it to me I'll put it in BC for you. It will take about a half hr, I did anarions original, I believe. But I'm not going through the trouble of yet another login.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »
Then don't get it.
There's been enough "Gimme Gimme" attitude to last me a lifetime. If folk want my model, then can take 5 minutes to register to my site. It's not my job or desire to appeal to the masses or to you specifically. I'm just releasing stuff in a SLIGHTLY controlled matter.
I don't mind if you convert it to BC, so long as credit is given, but again, I'm not going to take the time out of my day to send you stuff when (A) its available at my site, and (B) you are too lazy, its no loss to me.

Anyways,
Lexington-class heavy cruiser is now available for download as well.
Robinomicon

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:58:25 pm »
Eh, registering at a bunch of sites isn't too big a hassle, especially if I let Firefox remember the passwords.

One little question, why did you paint over the phaser turrets?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 03:09:20 pm »
The phaser turrets were little 8-sided spheres that I neglected to add to the model.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 04:26:33 pm »
The phaser turrets were little 8-sided spheres that I neglected to add to the model.
That's okay! Keeps the poly count under control. Great looking ships, mate!

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 05:12:50 pm »
I've done this in the past, where I've edited the texture and added 2 grey dots inside the squares to appear as phaser balls even if they are not on the model...but ofcourse it'd be up to faos if he wants textures modified. If I were to do it, I'd be eyeballing it.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:15:57 pm »
Sense of Humor Alert: Hmm... no phasers on these Federation ships.... I like that! Easy targets! LOL

Minor issues: The Churchill class needs the name "Roosevelt" on the aft rim in front of the hangar doors, an aft navigational marker (the small red circle under the hangar like on the Concord/Lexington for uniformity purposes) and an aft phaser bank there too, IMHO.

I've done this in the past, where I've edited the texture and added 2 grey dots inside the squares to appear as phaser balls even if they are not on the model...but ofcourse it'd be up to faos if he wants textures modified. If I were to do it, I'd be eyeballing it.

May I have a copy of your retexture work for my private use?

Excellent job FoAS! Thank you for sharing these ships. Absolutely worth the time joining your site. I can't wait for the Ulysses DN now or that Betelguesan ship...

Qapla'

KF
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:41:02 pm by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 06:22:12 pm »
All I am going to say id you better have that forgotten password link working as I use it allot
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Anthony Scott

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Off chasing a lunatic 8 year old :D:P
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »
Excellent work!

And I don't mind one bit registering...it only means that I care enough to be treated like a valued participant.

Semper Fi, Carry on
"No enemy can ever completely defeat you. A physical enemy can take your land, your gold, your property. But in order to be defeated uttelry only you can allow that. The human heart can only be crushed from within, not without."- The Dalai Lama

My art blog:
http://anthdigiart.blogspot.com/
My Deviant Art page:
http://anthsco.deviantart.com/
Resident forum history junkie.

"An intelligent man must sometimes get drunk to spend time with fools."
                      -Ernest Hemingway

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 08:24:49 pm »
Sense of Humor Alert: Hmm... no phasers on these Federation ships.... I like that! Easy targets! LOL

Minor issues: The Churchill class needs the name "Roosevelt" on the aft rim in front of the hangar doors, an aft navigational marker (the small red circle under the hangar like on the Concord/Lexington for uniformity purposes) and an aft phaser bank there too, IMHO.

May I have a copy of your retexture work for my private use?

Excellent job FoAS! Thank you for sharing these ships. Absolutely worth the time joining your site. I can't wait for the Ulysses DN now or that Betelguesan ship...

Qapla'

KF

LOL, KF, all I do use find the right circle size and stamp grey circiles with the brush tool...but yea, if foas gives me the ok to use assuming it looks decent..I wont even bother him if it doesn't..then I'll post'em here.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
FoaS, would it be too much to ask for blank textures so some of us could do custom registries?  Just asking.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »

LOL, KF, all I do use find the right circle size and stamp grey circiles with the brush tool...but yea, if foas gives me the ok to use assuming it looks decent..I wont even bother him if it doesn't..then I'll post'em here.

The easiest thing would be to copy the phasers from WZ's original textures. 

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 11:00:26 pm »
actualy given my lack of skills it would be harder for me to transfer phasers from someone elses work than it would be for me to place grey dots using the brush tool...

BTW, nice work on that lex, I have, I think, an unfinished gafy one I was going to send to one of the BC guys who can match gafy textures (the early original style) fairly easily, obviously I can throw that one away now lol.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 11:09:15 pm »
FoaS, would it be too much to ask for blank textures so some of us could do custom registries?  Just asking.

I think I might be able to accommodate.

I'm also thinkin' I'll add the phaser bulbs after all. They are only 8 or 16 (depending on how I do them) polies. No sweat. Keep an eye here and on the site, i'll notify of the fixed download.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:23:47 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:33 pm »
actualy given my lack of skills it would be harder for me to transfer phasers from someone elses work than it would be for me to place grey dots using the brush tool...

BTW, nice work on that lex, I have, I think, an unfinished gafy one I was going to send to one of the BC guys who can match gafy textures (the early original style) fairly easily, obviously I can throw that one away now lol.

I'm glad you like it, SF :-)
Robinomicon

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 12:03:50 am »

The Lexington is a retexture of WZ's, and the original just had painted phaser turrets, so all you'd have to do is open both in Windows Paint, select the dots, and copy&paste them to the new textures.  If you want to make the placing easy, you could spend a few minutes erasing everything except the dots, select all and copy, then paste it onto the new textures with the transparency option on.  There's nothing to it.  In fact, this method is about the only way I can modify textures, since I am utterly lacking in artistic skill.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 07:19:24 am »
I may have just found a way to do break models that'll make me happy.... maybe
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 01:27:34 pm »
I like the work you have done and have a couple of observations. First while I'm all for author cotrole of distrabution please have a backup plan if somthing happens to your site or pc. Over the last few years I'm seen too much great work lost when the persons site went down forever and they were long gone. This is not a gimme statement but more along the lines of mod historic preservation. Second I totaly agree that blanks would be very usefull and I for on wish more people would include them.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 01:48:55 pm »

I think I might be able to accommodate.

I'm also thinkin' I'll add the phaser bulbs after all. They are only 8 or 16 (depending on how I do them) polies. No sweat. Keep an eye here and on the site, i'll notify of the fixed download.

Thanks.   ;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:13 am »
New version of the Churchill is up. It includes a break model and PSD templates, along with a few extras. Read more here: Link
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 06:00:14 am »
 ;D Thank you! The extras are cool too!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:52 am »
Thanks KF.

Feel like showing us some screens of it in battle, just for kicks?
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:22 pm »
Very nice thanks for the PSP

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »
No worries, Starfox.

Version 2.0 of the Lexington is now up for grabs (just so you all know, future releases will be of this quality - with the proper hardpoints, the phasers and navlights and the break models).
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:00 am »
Abbe is up. Use the FCL UI.
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 10:38:06 am »
 ;D Nice! I've been having MAJOR CTD problems trying to get OPPLUS/Enhancement package 5.1 to work on my new PC, so I haven't been taking any in game pictures. During an uninstall of SFC: OP, I lost a custom KA style retextured Tholian Freighter (made by Kthyla and converted by Starforce2 and Atheorhaven). Fortunately, I redid it and I think it came out MUCH better than before. My frustration factor is through the roof now...!@$# VISTA.

My SFC: OP game is up and running and I have all the information I think I need to fix it I've just, temporarily run out of patience.

Back to the Abbe... I had an ancient version of the Abbe that was a Thru deck style auxilliary/strike carrier instead of having torpedo tubes. It was from Chris Jones' TMP mod for SFC EAW. I ended up retexture that and it's up at Battleclinic, IIRC.

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
;D Nice! I've been having MAJOR CTD problems trying to get OPPLUS/Enhancement package 5.1 to work so I haven't been taking any in game pictures. During an uninstall I lost a custom KA style retextured Tholian Freighter (made by Kthyla and converted by Starforce2 and Atheorhaven). My frustration factor is through the roof now...!@$# VISTA.

My SFC: OP game is up and running and I have all the information I think I need to fix it I've just, temporarily run out of patience.

Back to the Abbe... I had an ancient version of the Abbe that was a Thru deck style auxilliary/strike carrier instead of having torpedo tubes. It was from Chris Jones' TMP mod for SFC EAW. I ended up retexture that and it's up at Battleclinic, IIRC.

KF

Haha, vista. Vista is exactly what ME was to XP - it was released just to make windows 7 look better. >.<
I'll see what I can do about that strike Carrier varient of the Abbe - shouldn't be hard at all.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 03:05:37 pm »
Ulysses is up :-)
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »
;D Nice! I've been having MAJOR CTD problems trying to get OPPLUS/Enhancement package 5.1 to work on my new PC, so I haven't been taking any in game pictures. During an uninstall of SFC: OP, I lost a custom KA style retextured Tholian Freighter (made by Kthyla and converted by Starforce2 and Atheorhaven). Fortunately, I redid it and I think it came out MUCH better than before. My frustration factor is through the roof now...!@$# VISTA.

KF

Windows 7 isn't much better in terms of OP.  You'll still need Win2000/XP if you want to play OP online.  I'm having problems getting OP running in a fresh install of Win7 RC.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 01:17:52 pm »
The Juva-class Betelgeusian Star Cruiser is up for download.

Edit: hey starforce - This one I'll hand to you for conversion to BC - its rather special. Whats the best way to get a file to you?

Double Edit: On second thought - I've removed the register-to-download restriction. Still, if you like something, please leave feedback on the site. Also, please don't upload to mass sites without my blessings.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:40:32 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »
if you ever have anything you want me to get, be it a ship, message (or anyone else here so long as it's not BS) starforce2 plus the usual ending for gmail...

I don't often check hotmail since it's basicly a sea of spam anyways, I use it for my ebay and amazon alerts/pm alerts so it may go unchecked for a week...

What type of weapons are on that star cruiser? what color beams ect?

Oh and that abbe...now THAT is what I call a sexy starship.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 09:36:18 pm »
The Juva-class Betelgeusian Star Cruiser is a great addition to SFC: OP.

I have been using it as a M-INT/SFB Juggernaught replacement. It's very fearsome in that role, IMHO.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:08 pm »
 ;D For some reason, VISTA cloaks my SFC: OP in game pics but if I use Irfanview I can find the *.bmp files and convert them for posting as *.jpgs here. At any rate, here are some in game pics I took before today... Note the last picture that shows the double hexagon phenomenon. This shows some of the "behind the scenes" magic that makes the ships manuever in game.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10:32 pm »
what are the specs on the rigelian...whatever that is lol

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 09:23:29 pm »
what are the specs on the rigelian...whatever that is lol

The Betelguesan ship had no specs with it. I have been using it as a replacement for the SFB Juggernaught/Stock m-int myself.

FoAS here are some more in game pics. Not because I haven't got SFC OP+4.0 to work right, the scale of the ships may be off.

HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »
Nice Screens, KF! Looking sweet :-)

Arcs and basic weapon layouts

Here's the deal with the photon lance. Its acts like a photon torpedo but in beam form with longer range a more power. In OP I have it set up as 1 heavy photon and 2 photons.

Furthermore, due to the limitations in OP, the phasers at the top of the head, and the nacelle strut are merged (the ones on the bottom nacelle strut are ignored).

Hope that helps :-)

Edit:
Hey SF, if you want to be really ambitious, that little craft on the left wing is sort of a PF, could be detached by way of MVAM :-)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:02:40 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 10:19:00 pm »
yea I don't know how to do mvam scripts, I stick to standard stuff that everyone can use regardless of mods but if it exsists as a separate model in the download, I can include it for people who want to use it that way.

Edit: Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else..I didn't see it, but the length of the alien vessel is?

Also, what are the lengths of the 3 feds? It's been so long since I did any of these 3 classes I can't remember and I forgot to note it in my list of ship sizes I have floating around here someplace..

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »
The Juva is about 400m long
The Ulysses is about 550m
The Lexington is about 400m
The Churchill is ~285m according to Adonis (seems small to me, though)
I'm not really sure on the length of the Abbe, but I'd say its about 300m long.

If you are using 3ds Max - and you import the MOD file. scale the model up by 76923.3%, that will be the correct size.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 01:34:26 pm »
Ok so the technical explanation then would be That the Photon Lance uses a series of ACB(Anular Confinment  Beam, normally a componet of transporters) projecters to carry dicreet packets of matter and antimater and react them at the target point. When being used against an unsheilded target  the system can switch to a pure antimater beam and use the target's own hull mater as reactant. This system provides warhead yeilds simaler to standard photon torpedos without the need for lunchers and casings. Range would be limited by sublight physics and rate of decay of the antimaters magnetic containment field which are deprived of power at the point of firing.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »
Ok so the technical explanation then would be That the Photon Lance uses a series of ACB(Anular Confinment  Beam, normally a componet of transporters) projecters to carry dicreet packets of matter and antimater and react them at the target point. When being used against an unsheilded target  the system can switch to a pure antimater beam and use the target's own hull mater as reactant. This system provides warhead yeilds simaler to standard photon torpedos without the need for lunchers and casings. Range would be limited by sublight physics and rate of decay of the antimaters magnetic containment field which are deprived of power at the point of firing.

Lol - Sure!
I wouldn't go with an ACB (like in the transporter) but rather just a force-field "tube" that goes to the target. In the FoaSverse, the Photon Torpedo doesn't have a casing - those are drones - but rather are just a magnetic-bottled packet of anti-deuterium that's thrown at a target. Only the feds have Photorps, with only a few exceptions (maybe the Cardassians). But the rest of the physics sounds good. I like the alternate firing mode (2x damage against hull if on Anti-Matter mode)
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:46 pm »

I think this would be a perfect submission to that thread about when you've been playing SFC too long.  And the scary part is, I completely understood it.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:30 pm »
that fact that there's actualy a term "FoaSverse" wasn't enough? :angel:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
that fact that there's actualy a term "FoaSverse" wasn't enough? :angel:

:D :D :D :P

Want to here the worst part? I'm actually thinking about making a quick-and-dirty Civilization4 Mod to serve as a sort of "Universe manager" that will let me get a good timeline togather.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:19 pm »
Sounds interesting.  I'd say go for it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »

I've never modded Civ4 though. I've been reading up on it, so it looks plausible. The biggest thing I'm seeing as a problem is simply the units. I want the mod to have "Heavy Cruiser I" and "Heavy Cruiser II" as units, but I want differing classes inside of that - each with differing statistics. There might be a way to do it, but its going to be heavy.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:44 pm »
so what ship you doing next?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »

I've never modded Civ4 though. I've been reading up on it, so it looks plausible. The biggest thing I'm seeing as a problem is simply the units. I want the mod to have "Heavy Cruiser I" and "Heavy Cruiser II" as units, but I want differing classes inside of that - each with differing statistics. There might be a way to do it, but its going to be heavy.

I wish I could help, but I've never played the game.  To be perfectly honest, aside from the SFC games, the only other computer games I've played in the past several years are Legacy (no longer installed), and Ogame, which is all internet based.

However, if you do mod Civ4, I for one would love to see the results.  However, that's your decision, and whatever your decision is, I respect it.  I'm just saying that it sounds interesting, and if you want to go for it, you should. 

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
I've been doing reading all day, and it looks like Civ4 is NOT the engine I want to use. Luckily there is an engine called "FreeCiv" that let's you create custom rulesets. The unfortunate part of that is that I lack Programming experience. However, I got my website up and running by hacking at bits of PHP, and I'm a fairly decent MaxScripter, so it could just be a matter of time.

If anyone is interested in giving me a hand in creating this, just post here :-)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 12:49:03 am »
Were it me I'd be making a paper-and-board boardgame out of the whole affair. But I can imagine one not having the patience (or the space!) for such a thing. On the other hand, it would be a chance to redesign something like "federation and Empire", but make it much more understandable and accessible to the community.

I've heard of Civilization 4's incredible customability but haven't seen anyone make a full Space set. Then again, I'm not normally informed on the Civilization series *shrug*

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:05 am »
Were it me I'd be making a paper-and-board boardgame out of the whole affair. But I can imagine one not having the patience (or the space!) for such a thing. On the other hand, it would be a chance to redesign something like "federation and Empire", but make it much more understandable and accessible to the community.

I've heard of Civilization 4's incredible customability but haven't seen anyone make a full Space set. Then again, I'm not normally informed on the Civilization series *shrug*

You're right, I don't have the room or patience to work out a multi-century game of F&E with 22 empires and added things like Research and Diplomacy. Freeciv might be a nice way to automate things, but I'm rather intimidated by it. I don't know anything about compiling source code.
Robinomicon

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:41 am »
Civ IV has a "Final Frontier" module to the game which has been ported to a Star Trek Mod.  However, I am not thrilled with it at all.  That's mostly because of the way the Civ Combat system is set up.  One unit with a significantly high enough strength, Say a Borg Cube, would be invincible because it would take a hundred ships just to scratch it.  The Combat system only allows for one unit to attack at a time, which makes masses of fleets worthless for offense.

The combat system works something like this (with some arbitrary numbers added in)

Borg Cube: Strength 100
Federation Galaxy: Strength 12

100 + 12 = 112

Random Number between 1 and 112
If Random number is less than 100, Borg Cube hits, if Random number is greater than 100 Galaxy hits

Infinite # Galaxy Class ships attack Borg Cube.

First fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 1 for 100 damage.  Galaxy 1 destroyed
Second fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 2 for 100 damage. Galaxy 2 Destroyed
Third Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 3 for 100 damage. Galaxy 3 Destroyed
Fourth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 4 for 100 damage. Galaxy 4 destroyed
Fifth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 5 for 100 damage. Galaxy 5 destroyed
Sixth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 6 for 100 damage. Galaxy 6 destroyed
Seventh Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 7 for 100 damage. Galaxy 7 destroyed
Eighth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 8 for 100 damage. Galaxy 8 destroyed
Ninth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 9 for 100 damage. Galaxy 9 destroyed
thirteenth fight
Galaxy 13 hits Borg cube for 12 damage (88/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 13 for 100 damage.  Galaxy 13 destroyed

Seventeenth Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 17 for 88 damage. (12/100)
Galaxy 17 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (76/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 17 for 88 damage.  Galaxy 17 destroyed

Twentieth Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 20 for 76 damage. (24/100)
Galaxy 20 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (64/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 20 for 76 damage. Galaxy 20 destroyed

Twenty-first Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 21 for 64 damage. (36/100)
Galaxy 21 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (52/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 21 for 64 damage. Galaxy 21 destroyed

Twenty-sixth Fight...
Galaxy 26 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (40/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 26 for 52 damage. (48/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 26 for 52 damage. Galaxy 26 destroyed

twenty seventh Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage. (60/100)
Galaxy 27 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (28/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage. (20/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage.  Galaxy 27 destroyed

twenty eighth fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (72/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (44/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (16/100)
Galaxy 28 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (16/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. Galaxy 28 destroyed

Twenty ninth fight... its almost dead!
Galaxy 29 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (4/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (84/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (68/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (52/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (36/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (20/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (4/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. Galaxy 29 destroyed.

Thirtieth Fight. (Ok I'm as surprised as you that Galaxy 29 didn't finish it...)
lol! Borg Cube hits Galaxy 30 for 4 damage. (96/100)
Galaxy 30 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage.  Borg Cube destroyed (Finally!)

Ok that was a bit excessive, I apologize, but I randomized everything as I was posting, and what you got, was a typical fight between two players ( or between a player and a computer on Warlord, anything higher and the computer will cheat in its favor)  You might argue that that is what SHOULD happen.  And I agree in that instance it should happen.  However, imagine a Starbase assault.  Starbases have to be significantly powerful enough that that own their sector, but a determined fleet can take it down.  Well since each battle is one at a time, you can imagine that it may take a significant force to kill a starbase, and even then your taking heavy losses, where as if you had a significant force in a SFB fight, how many of that force is actually going to be destroyed if they are all firing their weapons at once?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 01:32:43 am »
Yeah, I didn't like the new combat system with civ4 after I read up on it...
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:11 pm »

Lol - Sure!
I wouldn't go with an ACB (like in the transporter) but rather just a force-field "tube" that goes to the target. In the FoaSverse, the Photon Torpedo doesn't have a casing - those are drones - but rather are just a magnetic-bottled packet of anti-deuterium that's thrown at a target. Only the feds have Photorps, with only a few exceptions (maybe the Cardassians). But the rest of the physics sounds good. I like the alternate firing mode (2x damage against hull if on Anti-Matter mode)

Thanks and an ACB is force field tube that surounds the mater stream during transmision too or from the ship to prevent the mater stream from dispersing. That why I picked it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 06:36:26 pm »
The Loknar has been released.
Here's an ingame shot:
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »
CRAP - if anyone has downloaded it, download it again. I forgot two textures, but its taken care of now.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:47 am »
Okinawa is now out, too.

Where's the love people >.<
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2009, 10:51:55 am »
Love that Okinawa! I especially like the single phaser emplacements on the primary hull as opposed to the duals. Makes more sense on a ship that size, and adds a bit of visual interest.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »
Thanks, Chrystoff.

The Nitcoris is out too :-)
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
They are probably still playing with the new ships and just haven't come up for air ;) All are most execlent work man.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »

The Que Dan on a training mission with the Enterprise :)

Anyone remember the screenshot key? I had to backpedal out of the program and use PrintScreen with paint.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 04:24:49 pm »

Anyone remember the screenshot key? I had to backpedal out of the program and use PrintScreen with paint.

F12
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2009, 05:09:26 pm »
Nice work FoaS! I can't wait for the Akula and Akyazi as well as the Klingon and Romulan adversaries.

BTW: I love the Loknar's added weapons and overall upgrade.

I picked up Sins of A Solar Empire today at Wal-mart for $20.00 and was wondering if what you are looking to do with could be done using that game engine?

KF

Additonal Info:

Developer: Ironclad Games
Publisher: Stardock
Engine: Iron Engine (as mentioned before)

It uses the Iron Engine.

En.wikipedia.org

Check this TNG mod out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-sacrifice-of-angels-2

Perhaps this could give you an idea how to do a TOS/TMP/TNT mod.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:14:29 pm by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:41 pm »
are you planning the same treatment on khalibahns connie?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2009, 06:54:50 pm »
I've been playing around with the ships in 3DS Max, making renders.  I'll post some renders soon if that's alright with you FoaS.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2009, 12:15:15 am »

Looking Good :-). Marstone is right, it is indeed F12

Nice work FoaS! I can't wait for the Akula and Akyazi as well as the Klingon and Romulan adversaries.

BTW: I love the Loknar's added weapons and overall upgrade.

I picked up Sins of A Solar Empire today at Wal-mart for $20.00 and was wondering if what you are looking to do with could be done using that game engine?

KF

Additonal Info:

Developer: Ironclad Games
Publisher: Stardock
Engine: Iron Engine (as mentioned before)

It uses the Iron Engine.

En.wikipedia.org

Check this TNG mod out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-sacrifice-of-angels-2

Perhaps this could give you an idea how to do a TOS/TMP/TNT mod.

I have looked into Sins of a Solar Empire. I've read about the engine (i didn't bother with the demo). If I am not mistaking it's lacking. Currently there is a rock-paper-scissors system for combat. Missiles gets beat by point defense, beams by shields, and armor(?) beats about pulse weapons. It would make dynamics that exist in SFB impossible (or so limited that it would be pointless; imagine a Lyran without an ESG).

No, in order to satisfy me (yes, I'm a snob) we need a new engine.

are you planning the same treatment on khalibahns connie?

Yup. I just enjoy releasing the more understated and underappreciated ships more. I'll get around to the canon and more mainstream fanon ships eventually.

I've been playing around with the ships in 3DS Max, making renders.  I'll post some renders soon if that's alright with you FoaS.

By all means, have a ball. I'd appreciate a blurb just in case the image ends up somewhere else, but its not a requirement.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2009, 03:25:08 am »
Here are some renders I made of the Churchill and the Loknar.  It's been a while since I did any serious rendering, so I'm rusty.  Plus I was never any good to begin with, and there are no special effects.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:32 am »
Those look NICE!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:16 am »
Indeed - those look great!

What are your spec settings like?
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2009, 01:46:38 pm »
Runs for towel to wipe drool off keys before they short out!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2009, 03:52:12 pm »
Indeed - those look great!

What are your spec settings like?

I leave them on default, but when I make the spec maps in CS4, I don't desaturate, just go straight for equalize, then I play around with the various filters of the Fade Equalize options, and then I find one I think looks good.

I do rendering in MAX 5 using a lighting rig that TUS gave me.  Yes TUS, I know, it's old and outdated, but I applied the Light Tracer and Ray Traced Shadows to the rig.  :-D

Anyway, I just attack the spec maps, reduce the lighting levels down, and move the light around and find something I like.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:43 pm »
maybe it was the CGI chruchill, but I thought I remember there being megaphasers on either side of the deflector? I thought there were aft facing ones too, somewhere..again that may have been the CGI version..