Topic: The FoaS release thread.... MY GOD HE ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING!  (Read 14210 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: The FoaS release thread.... MY GOD HE ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING!
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »
The Juva is about 400m long
The Ulysses is about 550m
The Lexington is about 400m
The Churchill is ~285m according to Adonis (seems small to me, though)
I'm not really sure on the length of the Abbe, but I'd say its about 300m long.

If you are using 3ds Max - and you import the MOD file. scale the model up by 76923.3%, that will be the correct size.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 01:34:26 pm »
Ok so the technical explanation then would be That the Photon Lance uses a series of ACB(Anular Confinment  Beam, normally a componet of transporters) projecters to carry dicreet packets of matter and antimater and react them at the target point. When being used against an unsheilded target  the system can switch to a pure antimater beam and use the target's own hull mater as reactant. This system provides warhead yeilds simaler to standard photon torpedos without the need for lunchers and casings. Range would be limited by sublight physics and rate of decay of the antimaters magnetic containment field which are deprived of power at the point of firing.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »
Ok so the technical explanation then would be That the Photon Lance uses a series of ACB(Anular Confinment  Beam, normally a componet of transporters) projecters to carry dicreet packets of matter and antimater and react them at the target point. When being used against an unsheilded target  the system can switch to a pure antimater beam and use the target's own hull mater as reactant. This system provides warhead yeilds simaler to standard photon torpedos without the need for lunchers and casings. Range would be limited by sublight physics and rate of decay of the antimaters magnetic containment field which are deprived of power at the point of firing.

Lol - Sure!
I wouldn't go with an ACB (like in the transporter) but rather just a force-field "tube" that goes to the target. In the FoaSverse, the Photon Torpedo doesn't have a casing - those are drones - but rather are just a magnetic-bottled packet of anti-deuterium that's thrown at a target. Only the feds have Photorps, with only a few exceptions (maybe the Cardassians). But the rest of the physics sounds good. I like the alternate firing mode (2x damage against hull if on Anti-Matter mode)
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:46 pm »

I think this would be a perfect submission to that thread about when you've been playing SFC too long.  And the scary part is, I completely understood it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:30 pm »
that fact that there's actualy a term "FoaSverse" wasn't enough? :angel:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
that fact that there's actualy a term "FoaSverse" wasn't enough? :angel:

:D :D :D :P

Want to here the worst part? I'm actually thinking about making a quick-and-dirty Civilization4 Mod to serve as a sort of "Universe manager" that will let me get a good timeline togather.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:19 pm »
Sounds interesting.  I'd say go for it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »

I've never modded Civ4 though. I've been reading up on it, so it looks plausible. The biggest thing I'm seeing as a problem is simply the units. I want the mod to have "Heavy Cruiser I" and "Heavy Cruiser II" as units, but I want differing classes inside of that - each with differing statistics. There might be a way to do it, but its going to be heavy.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:44 pm »
so what ship you doing next?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »

I've never modded Civ4 though. I've been reading up on it, so it looks plausible. The biggest thing I'm seeing as a problem is simply the units. I want the mod to have "Heavy Cruiser I" and "Heavy Cruiser II" as units, but I want differing classes inside of that - each with differing statistics. There might be a way to do it, but its going to be heavy.

I wish I could help, but I've never played the game.  To be perfectly honest, aside from the SFC games, the only other computer games I've played in the past several years are Legacy (no longer installed), and Ogame, which is all internet based.

However, if you do mod Civ4, I for one would love to see the results.  However, that's your decision, and whatever your decision is, I respect it.  I'm just saying that it sounds interesting, and if you want to go for it, you should. 

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
I've been doing reading all day, and it looks like Civ4 is NOT the engine I want to use. Luckily there is an engine called "FreeCiv" that let's you create custom rulesets. The unfortunate part of that is that I lack Programming experience. However, I got my website up and running by hacking at bits of PHP, and I'm a fairly decent MaxScripter, so it could just be a matter of time.

If anyone is interested in giving me a hand in creating this, just post here :-)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 12:49:03 am »
Were it me I'd be making a paper-and-board boardgame out of the whole affair. But I can imagine one not having the patience (or the space!) for such a thing. On the other hand, it would be a chance to redesign something like "federation and Empire", but make it much more understandable and accessible to the community.

I've heard of Civilization 4's incredible customability but haven't seen anyone make a full Space set. Then again, I'm not normally informed on the Civilization series *shrug*

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:05 am »
Were it me I'd be making a paper-and-board boardgame out of the whole affair. But I can imagine one not having the patience (or the space!) for such a thing. On the other hand, it would be a chance to redesign something like "federation and Empire", but make it much more understandable and accessible to the community.

I've heard of Civilization 4's incredible customability but haven't seen anyone make a full Space set. Then again, I'm not normally informed on the Civilization series *shrug*

You're right, I don't have the room or patience to work out a multi-century game of F&E with 22 empires and added things like Research and Diplomacy. Freeciv might be a nice way to automate things, but I'm rather intimidated by it. I don't know anything about compiling source code.
Robinomicon

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:41 am »
Civ IV has a "Final Frontier" module to the game which has been ported to a Star Trek Mod.  However, I am not thrilled with it at all.  That's mostly because of the way the Civ Combat system is set up.  One unit with a significantly high enough strength, Say a Borg Cube, would be invincible because it would take a hundred ships just to scratch it.  The Combat system only allows for one unit to attack at a time, which makes masses of fleets worthless for offense.

The combat system works something like this (with some arbitrary numbers added in)

Borg Cube: Strength 100
Federation Galaxy: Strength 12

100 + 12 = 112

Random Number between 1 and 112
If Random number is less than 100, Borg Cube hits, if Random number is greater than 100 Galaxy hits

Infinite # Galaxy Class ships attack Borg Cube.

First fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 1 for 100 damage.  Galaxy 1 destroyed
Second fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 2 for 100 damage. Galaxy 2 Destroyed
Third Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 3 for 100 damage. Galaxy 3 Destroyed
Fourth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 4 for 100 damage. Galaxy 4 destroyed
Fifth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 5 for 100 damage. Galaxy 5 destroyed
Sixth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 6 for 100 damage. Galaxy 6 destroyed
Seventh Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 7 for 100 damage. Galaxy 7 destroyed
Eighth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 8 for 100 damage. Galaxy 8 destroyed
Ninth Fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 9 for 100 damage. Galaxy 9 destroyed
thirteenth fight
Galaxy 13 hits Borg cube for 12 damage (88/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 13 for 100 damage.  Galaxy 13 destroyed

Seventeenth Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 17 for 88 damage. (12/100)
Galaxy 17 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (76/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 17 for 88 damage.  Galaxy 17 destroyed

Twentieth Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 20 for 76 damage. (24/100)
Galaxy 20 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (64/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 20 for 76 damage. Galaxy 20 destroyed

Twenty-first Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 21 for 64 damage. (36/100)
Galaxy 21 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (52/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 21 for 64 damage. Galaxy 21 destroyed

Twenty-sixth Fight...
Galaxy 26 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (40/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 26 for 52 damage. (48/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 26 for 52 damage. Galaxy 26 destroyed

twenty seventh Fight...
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage. (60/100)
Galaxy 27 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (28/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage. (20/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 27 for 40 damage.  Galaxy 27 destroyed

twenty eighth fight
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (72/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (44/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. (16/100)
Galaxy 28 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (16/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 28 for 28 damage. Galaxy 28 destroyed

Twenty ninth fight... its almost dead!
Galaxy 29 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage. (4/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (84/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (68/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (52/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (36/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (20/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. (4/100)
Borg Cube hits Galaxy 29 for 16 damage. Galaxy 29 destroyed.

Thirtieth Fight. (Ok I'm as surprised as you that Galaxy 29 didn't finish it...)
lol! Borg Cube hits Galaxy 30 for 4 damage. (96/100)
Galaxy 30 hits Borg Cube for 12 damage.  Borg Cube destroyed (Finally!)

Ok that was a bit excessive, I apologize, but I randomized everything as I was posting, and what you got, was a typical fight between two players ( or between a player and a computer on Warlord, anything higher and the computer will cheat in its favor)  You might argue that that is what SHOULD happen.  And I agree in that instance it should happen.  However, imagine a Starbase assault.  Starbases have to be significantly powerful enough that that own their sector, but a determined fleet can take it down.  Well since each battle is one at a time, you can imagine that it may take a significant force to kill a starbase, and even then your taking heavy losses, where as if you had a significant force in a SFB fight, how many of that force is actually going to be destroyed if they are all firing their weapons at once?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 01:32:43 am »
Yeah, I didn't like the new combat system with civ4 after I read up on it...
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:11 pm »

Lol - Sure!
I wouldn't go with an ACB (like in the transporter) but rather just a force-field "tube" that goes to the target. In the FoaSverse, the Photon Torpedo doesn't have a casing - those are drones - but rather are just a magnetic-bottled packet of anti-deuterium that's thrown at a target. Only the feds have Photorps, with only a few exceptions (maybe the Cardassians). But the rest of the physics sounds good. I like the alternate firing mode (2x damage against hull if on Anti-Matter mode)

Thanks and an ACB is force field tube that surounds the mater stream during transmision too or from the ship to prevent the mater stream from dispersing. That why I picked it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 06:36:26 pm »
The Loknar has been released.
Here's an ingame shot:
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »
CRAP - if anyone has downloaded it, download it again. I forgot two textures, but its taken care of now.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:47 am »
Okinawa is now out, too.

Where's the love people >.<
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2009, 10:51:55 am »
Love that Okinawa! I especially like the single phaser emplacements on the primary hull as opposed to the duals. Makes more sense on a ship that size, and adds a bit of visual interest.