Topic: Pitch an idea: Community-driven / "Open-Source" Bash Kit  (Read 13650 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Pitch an idea: Community-driven / "Open-Source" Bash Kit
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 11:21:26 am »
So I started coming up with a naming convention for all the parts that might come about. This got me started thinking back a system of standards we might want to impliment towards this project.

I started doing a video about it, and after about 10 takes I got frustrated. So off to take a shower and I will try again.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 01:55:26 pm »
Okay, made the video that I'm finally happy with. It goes into detail as to a naming convention and gives a quick glaze over on whywe would need a standard for this project in the first place. I will be playing with my wiki tonight to make room for bashkit documentation.

[youtube]UYac8CNpyjU[/youtube]
(may not be done processing yet)

Also on my mind is a video showing the complete evolution from template to final nacelle.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 10:21:14 pm »
What, no flames?
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
I don't see a reason to flame but its a bit much to keep straight in the head. I get the gist of it. One thing is for sure at some point you will need to write it down so we can all remeber it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:56 am »
Well, a lot of these thoughts are coming to me one after another. Keeping them straight in my own head is a little daunting.
As I get further along in the system I'll be making more concise and less ranty videos giving explinations and procedures. Furthermore my wiki will be updated to include all sorts of documentation for this project.

I know it seems slapdash at the moment (and truth be told, it is) but its slowly coming together :)
Robinomicon

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 08:34:09 am »
Did I get that right that one nacelle has 3800 polys? Heh, and using 2048x texture maps... lol. U'd need a super computer to run that thing in the game engine. Are u guys smoking crack?

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 10:13:30 am »
Did I get that right that one nacelle has 3800 polys? Heh, and using 2048x texture maps... lol. U'd need a super computer to run that thing in the game engine. Are u guys smoking crack?

Better listening would have led you to find out that was the connie.  secondly.... you would just need my computer to play with that ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »
I don't think the engine is 3800 polies, and textrures can be resized to match PC proformanc but the bigger they start out the better as te easier it is do do good looking details.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »
The entire connie was 3866 and I'm using 1024x textures.
Robinomicon

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 04:52:33 pm »
Oh thats perfect! It got LOD's?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »
Not yet - One step at a time.

I haven't really thought all that hard about how to add LODs to the Bash kit, yet, but I'd like to.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:23 pm »
So, what do you all think about adding required LODs to the standards of part-making for the bash kit? I can create a method but I'd like feed back.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 12:11:30 am »
Truthfully,
I think it would be a bad idea as the purpose is more or less to kitbash parts to make models. if the sections you make have LODs and the all the parts are not from this project then you will have parts of ships flying in the distance from kitbashers. The other reason is you are already making a complicated path to make mapping work adding this level is not really needed. not to mention  the files for everything start to grow impractically large
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:19 am »
I see your point - Honestly, my idea for a quick LOD workflow ended up being very very unweildy and impractical.

Another thing I can think of is to create the LOD templates, offer them to people who want to go through the effort and let people make LODs for parts they make if they so desire, but then we have a problem with some parts have LODs and some don't.... Is it better to have an all or nothing or is it better to have something better than nothing?
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 10:10:34 am »
You are looking at all or nothing,
1 not all programs (milkshape) can work with LOD files.
2 if it LOD works, if they use outside peices the ships will be seen only as peices inside the game at a distance
3 not sure if a partial model is exportable
4 LODs require textures, normally at reduced size and resolution to be effective, this greatly increases the file size for each part

So well it is a nice idea it is not practical and would add needless complexity to your project, which is already complex. Best bet, if it can be done, templates work for those that will go the extra mile, most will not as it adds extra work and will not be useful moving ships from one game to the next.

So if it were me I would worry about the about the parts and making them interchangable. Once that is finished then look at templates.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:04 pm »
I need someone who knows a bit more about the Nacelle Designations than I do. I know the canon Refit Connie nacelle is called the LN-64 by FASA and other lore. Are there any more generally accepted Fanon designations for other nacelles (ie: what is on the Constellation, what the funky ones the Ascension or whatever are called).
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »
There is som info around for TMP stuff but nothing that is all inclusive. For example the LN-64 stands for Leeding Necelle model 64 and is the manufactuers name not the starfleet componet name. To get a unified system you will really need to make your own thing up. Just rememeber KISS.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »
I've seen a bunch of different designations around: LN-64, LN-72, LN-68, LN-66. That's fine if they are the company designation and not a starfleet one - better to use something established than have a completely arbitrary system (granted, arbitrary designations are going to come up, but they will be based on the aforementioned established system). The problem is that i don't know what the LN-66 is supposed to be, or the LN-72, etc.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »
The rest of these come from Todd Gunther's Ships of the Starfleet book. The cover the different Necelle veriants mostly for Constution class veriations. My copy is in storage but there is some fan stuff based on that book here  http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/index.html

The stuff is at the bottom of the blueprints section.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 10:59:03 pm »
New video on the way: This one detailing how I made a completed nacelle from the "Template" pieces that you saw before.
Robinomicon