Topic: Pitch an idea: Community-driven / "Open-Source" Bash Kit  (Read 13612 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Pitch an idea: Community-driven / "Open-Source" Bash Kit
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 01:04:49 am »
Here's the video, in six parts.
[youtube]e685M7UJjd8[/youtube]
[youtube]mFlDGmJn-YU[/youtube]
[youtube]thtK04Oqtn0[/youtube]
[youtube]bz-iJ_UrU5c[/youtube]
[youtube]pJfX_meeJ8k[/youtube]
[youtube]55aYCsheYls[/youtube]

Something of note: when I say that the vertex count on the seams are important, I also mean to say that the placement of those vertices ought not be changed as part of the compatibility thing.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 01:07:58 pm »
Very nice. thanks

Offline Aramus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:54 pm »
Can I interupt and say I think its a great idea and I like what your doing. can I have your plugin thingy for your modelling tools on that floating window to the left  :crazy2:

Ya dont get if ya dont ask  :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:42 pm »
It's not mine. It's called Polyboost v4.1.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 04:07:21 pm »
I'm moving on from nacelles to saucers. So far I have four saucers solidly in mind: Standard Enterprise, A saucer with a nacelle cut into the ventral side of it (http://www.inpayne.com/models/uss-montefusco.html), the Miranda saucer, and the Star League saucer (with the extra deck). This doesn't include saucers like the Excelsior, etc, yet. If anyone has more suggestions for more saucer variants they'd like to see, let's hear it.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:10 pm »
I like this one too

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:58 pm »
I think we can arrange that :)
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
I like this one too

That's my Mars Class kitbash!!  :-D  Glad you liked it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »
This is probably going to turn into a video blog
[youtube]CR_mcICztTs[/youtube]
Robinomicon

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »
You are putting allot of thought and work into this, and your ideas are excellent, the quality of work is great. I hope your not wasting your time though mate. Either way, good luck with it  :)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 04:40:11 pm »
I don't think you can get the different sizes on 1 texture but you dould try somthing like 512X512 panals for the differnt sections and let the basher put them together to make model specific 1024X1024 textures. That way you just swap out the panal for the different scale saucer or hull segment as needed.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »
I do have one solution in mind for the saucers. I'm working out the bugs as we speak. If I have time tonight I'll post an example of my thought process. If not tonight, then tomorrow.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »
The only problem I can see with it using one texture would be warping and streching issues in the none regular shaped areas
Even then model shading/smoothing might become a issue if you move it to a different texture sheet. so well you can easily make swapable parts other areas will accumulate errors that the modeller will have to know how to fix and make replacement textures for
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »
Not sure if I follow what you mean, GAFY
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »
I'm moving on from nacelles to saucers. So far I have four saucers solidly in mind: Standard Enterprise, A saucer with a nacelle cut into the ventral side of it (http://www.inpayne.com/models/uss-montefusco.html), the Miranda saucer, and the Star League saucer (with the extra deck). This doesn't include saucers like the Excelsior, etc, yet. If anyone has more suggestions for more saucer variants they'd like to see, let's hear it.

Three suggestions actually.

a) FCX saucer (pretty please).  Some people don't like them, but there are kitbashes that use 'em.
b) FCVF (fast cruiser), also pretty please.  ;)  http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/screenshots/File/31429/1
c) Something for a medical ship like the Olympic (Pasteur) and/or Daedeles.  Not everyone will be doing TNG.  ;)

Suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em..
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »
Oh god - not that F-CF >.< that thing is so ugly. I'm going to leave that one for another part contributer to deal with :-/

FCX saucer is doable - but I'll leave that for when I start making the Excel parts.

Sphericals are easy (mostly), I'll see what I can do about those :)
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »
Oh god - not that F-CF >.< that thing is so ugly. I'm going to leave that one for another part contributer to deal with :-/

Ugly yes, but here's a prime chance to make sure that anything going forward has a premade saucer that isn't.  That's why I chose it.. the Fast Cruisers almost have an Intrepid type styling that you don't see on even Lost Era that much.. and if someone wants to recreate something like a TOS or TMP era Voyager, they'll need something like this hull to do it.  ;)

Personal preference is that we wouldn't see many of these, but I can see where someone wants to build an updated Ranger (or Ranger itself) and they'd need something like this.  All in all, your call.. just trying to put in some requests for differently shaped hulls to maximize some of the capabilities of the kitbashes, that's all..

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2010, 07:10:09 pm »
I'll see about coming up with a version that doesn't make my stomach go all queezy whenever I see it.
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:24 pm »
I'll see about coming up with a version that doesn't make my stomach go all queezy whenever I see it.

Super, that's all I'm asking.  :D

Again, look less at the "flat iron" idea on the one I pointed to, and look more towards an arrowhead or Intrepid as I think that's more the way to go.  Streamlined, clean, smooth.  :)