Topic: So anyone still play?  (Read 80359 times)

Offline Evil Kraven

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: So anyone still play?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »
Still have an old dell XP machine, but was never able to get into D2 . Miss the game actually, used to have a lot of fun flying and dying.

Offline benbean

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 03:00:10 am »
Still have an old dell XP machine, but was never able to get into D2 . Miss the game actually, used to have a lot of fun flying and dying.

Yeah I still remember your howls of laughter  ;)
ben.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
There is no other game out there with this level of tactical depth, even if the strategic layer that was D2 was a joke.

it's a friggin shame nobody else is running with the SFB IP.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:19 pm »
What makes this game so great DH is the campaign map of the Dyna the rest are just ip games except Star Trek Online.This is so close to an MMO just a different kind MMORTSG.

Offline Kruk

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 07:01:36 pm »
I will consider myself lucky enough to have been part, from the beggining, of the mother of all servers.

ArticFires.

This server started it all.

The hype, storylines, organisation, recruiting, the lead up to the majestic final battle that unfortunatly wasn't met to be. It would have been glorious. I will cherish these memories until I die. Best gaming experience ever.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »
I just bought SFC:CE recently.  Not sure I consider it a flop since it was built from source (which is f*cking amazing) and runs great on my 7 year old Windows 8.1 PC without having to change color depth.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:45 pm »

The hype, storylines, organisation, recruiting, the lead up to the majestic final battle that unfortunatly wasn't met to be. It would have been glorious. I will cherish these memories until I die. Best gaming experience ever.

Even though D2 in essence was a very stupid game with only the illusion of real strategy (hexx-flipping) it was still fun as hell.  And the tactical depth . . . nothing has come close.

I really wish a real company would make a real game with the SFB IP, but after seeing how some other games have bastardized IP (you should see what DDO did with the D&D IP . . .) I think any game now would be terrible.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »
Ya know what's even funnier (in an odd sort of way) is that most did not realize just how good we had it .....  until it all went away.
I've always said that my idea of the perfect SFC-4 game was an updated version of OP with some of the newer ships from TNG and maybe even a few post TNG ideas/ships in it.  SFC-3 was OK ... but was never as much fun as OP and some of the mega missions that were available from time to time.  Add to that a good stable draft, squash a few bugs ...  and the way OP was in it's hay-day was unquestionably the best  (even with all of it's short comings) I would have loved to have seen the GAW MOD that my son did released in the OP version of the game instead of SFC-3.
I would have loved to have seen the kind of support for the game as we see today in other games ....

Yes, I would gladly spring 15-20 a month to pay for stable servers that reflect different style of play:  PVP only; PVP/PVE combo; RP; SFB (RP).  In ALL cases the Dynaverse campaign maps would still be the basic format used.  It did work.  (Just needed a little love here and there).

I hope this makes sense.
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 05:35:11 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:09:34 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 09:43:28 am »
Trust me it does.
I rather play OP with mods then ever touch SFC3. It's horrible. They should have just added to OP instead.
I'm trying to make a mod myself but I don't have the time I once had. It's a shame bc with the right mod I can see a lot of us returning and having fun.

Adam
At best there were some "interesting" features about SFC-3...  However, the  mission drafting alone (never could draft team mates on most missions) left a bad taste in my mouth right up front!  Over all I agree....   squash a few of the old bugs in OP ...  use the original ship list ...  update it with a few more from the TNG and possibly post TNG ..  some new mission scripts, mix thoroughly, bake until done !
The end result should be a new game with some really nice features.  Individual servers supported by a monthly donation (somewhat like current MMO's) that could specialize for certain interest as mentioned earlier should also provide enough variety to keep a larger audience happier.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:09:25 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:41 pm »
Trust me !  I know exactly where you are coming.  My son is Nannerslug!  He was the one primarily behind the SFC MOD:  GAW.  It was originally going to be done as an OP MOD.  But (for what ever reason) ...  he went with SFC-3.  As you say ...  not to dwell on some of the old community negativity back then.
IMHO a lot of the differences could have been resolved with multiple servers with more "options" (such as we have mentioned). 

I personally loved the ship lists that OP came out with ... and even after some of the official patches were done it was better.   Some folks loved the extended SFB releases ...  those were not for me personally.  I respect those who feel differently.  Hence, my desire to have seen multiple servers with differing themes.

A lot of things have changed since then in the way of technology that I believe would make for a more stable system and better overall game play.  Goodness ... my old system that I used back in those days was only a small fraction of the DDR3, 64 bit, two HD's with 1 TB each, system I have today.  I even dabble in some 3-D models from time to time.  (I have a star base that makes the Fed SB777 look like an antique!).  The old X-CLC that we developed went on to be renamed and given some more practical features.  It's now the Seawolf  class (or Sea Wolf ) and is late or post TNG design  (it's predecessor still remains in archive as a test platform design for Starfleet ).

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 01:53:10 pm »
Trust me it does.
I rather play OP with mods then ever touch SFC3. It's horrible. They should have just added to OP instead.
I'm trying to make a mod myself but I don't have the time I once had. It's a shame bc with the right mod I can see a lot of us returning and having fun.

Adam

Sorry, the game is dead because it doesn't work with modern operating systems (cannot draft with Windows 7 or Vista).  And nothing can fix this, I was one of the last people hosting servers and saw this game die kicking and screaming.

We'd only need 50-100 active players for a great D2 campaign, but with the game not running on new OSes and XP being retired in 2014 it's just plain old done.

What we either need is a "real" game based on the SFB IP or something modern that can be modded into an SFCish game.

let's face it . . . Trek games suck.  I've played them all, they are all horrible.  SFC was awesome because it was based on SFB and not retricted to the Trek stuff which was never meant to be a game.  Trek games are all full of fanboi bullsh*t and "ubber-ships" and crap that should never be playable like the Borg.  SFC/SFB weren't perfect but man, it was a hell of a lot better than anything else.

I'm dreaming, I know it'll never happen, but it would fill the void as there is no game out there that is as good as this was.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »
I first played SFB when it was sold in a "baggie" and no one would have ever thought it would be a full on computer game one day.  Utilities for things like rolling damage sure but not an SFC.  But it was.  It has happened and can happen again.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 02:27:05 pm »
DH, it's funny how you deride Trek games but still play that abomination they made of D&D. Have you been banned from the forums again? I went on awhile ago to see if things were different (they weren't) and saw no postings from you in a search.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 02:48:44 pm »
DH, it's funny how you deride Trek games but still play that abomination they made of D&D. Have you been banned from the forums again? I went on awhile ago to see if things were different (they weren't) and saw no postings from you in a search.

Not sure where the contradiction is. 

SFC is a hell of a lot closer to SFB than DDO is to D&D.  We're talking by an order of magnitude.

SFC is the superior game, by far.  It's staying closer to the source material is a huge part of it.   

Still not banned, I'm not sure how as my forum persona over there makes "DieHard" look like a timid puppy.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 02:52:17 pm »
I first played SFB when it was sold in a "baggie" and no one would have ever thought it would be a full on computer game one day.  Utilities for things like rolling damage sure but not an SFC.  But it was.  It has happened and can happen again.

My brothers and I played SFB in grade school and due to the complexity we all agreed "this would make a great computer game."  We were right.

Can it happen again?  I'm not sure, the ADB/Paramount legal thing is a bucket of silliness that who knows if it'll ever happen.  The IP would have to not be a hot item, maybe if the next Trek movie sucks as much as Into Dumbness.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 03:15:30 pm »
There is a way to make it more likely.  Just use the SFB rules (no deal for Trek itself) leave out the explicitly Trek stuff which is names, background and images.  Calling things "The Federation" predates Trek so that is Okay, Lyrans, Hydrans, ISC are fine too.  Done right allowing modding and fan mods make it into Trek (many fan mods for Trek in other games Galciv II for example). 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:41 pm »
There is a way to make it more likely.  Just use the SFB rules (no deal for Trek itself) leave out the explicitly Trek stuff which is names, background and images.  Calling things "The Federation" predates Trek so that is Okay, Lyrans, Hydrans, ISC are fine too.  Done right allowing modding and fan mods make it into Trek (many fan mods for Trek in other games Galciv II for example).

ADB is NOT allowed to make a video game and there's no gaming company that'll make an "SFB" game without the more marketable "Trek" references.  You gotta have Klingons and Romulans.

Though with the alternate timelines being "in" now the "SFB" timeline as difinately sellable.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »
Well, as a profitable venture I'd say it is out of the realm of possibility, but if some rich fanboi wants to spend it, there is no problem here that money cannot solve. Has anyone considered Kickstarter?