Favorite SFC time period?

2265-2270 (extened "Early Era"
10 (62.5%)
2271-2279  (Diet-coke of cheese era)
4 (25%)
2280 - 2300 (Full-Retard Cheese era)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Topic: Favorite SFC time period  (Read 30205 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Favorite SFC time period
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
Then use non traditional tactics.  Adapt, improvise. 

Your boost to fight the non traditional enemies means you are boosted vs the traditional ones.  Now you need to boost them and so on and so forth. 

Easier just to delete the ISC or recategorize all their ships as one size class higher to reflect their true power. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

Your boost to fight the non traditional enemies means you are boosted vs the traditional ones.  Now you need to boost them and so on and so forth. 

Which is what I get by not flying early era.  All I've been trying to do is explain why I hate early era.  Due to the nature of SFC, my prefered race has to tangle with ships that it was not designed to fight, and is poorly equipped to fight.  Especially in GSA type matches where everyone wants plasma, and noone wants war eagles.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 10:52:39 am »
So does everyone else.  Think the Klingons have it easy vs the ISC?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 09:42:53 pm »
I voted early... and i'm a rom pilot ;).  I likes people underestimating my sh*tely powered ships ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »
I voted early... and i'm a rom pilot ;).  I likes people underestimating my sh*tely powered ships ;)

You don't need power when you have a cloak, an R-Torp, and the patience to prolong the match for 5 hours.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 10:36:54 am »
You guys should just outlaw the ISC in Early Era. 40 power, 8 PH-1's and 3 G-Torps with liberal arcs on a CA in Early? Most dreds couldn't compete with that in that time period. At least the ISC-DN sucks pretty badly. That thing can barely move.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 10:49:58 am »
You guys should just outlaw the ISC in Early Era. 40 power, 8 PH-1's and 3 G-Torps with liberal arcs on a CA in Early? Most dreds couldn't compete with that in that time period. At least the ISC-DN sucks pretty badly. That thing can barely move.

If you outlaw a race you just guarantee that some idiot won't listen and will fly it anyway.  Its like how I tried having matches with 400 bpv to choose CL sized hulls with D2 loadouts.  Some idiot always failed to listen and took a BBZ.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:16 am »
Back on topic . . .

The "medium drone" era is my favorite.  More "character" ships are available without the complete and utter cheese-fest we see post 2280. 
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 11:02:10 am »

If you outlaw a race you just guarantee that some idiot won't listen and will fly it anyway.  Its like how I tried having matches with 400 bpv to choose CL sized hulls with D2 loadouts.  Some idiot always failed to listen and took a BBZ.

Fixing that is simple: Just have their wings back off while the three of you pound them to death and I pretty much guarantee they won't do it again if they want to play with you.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:31 am »
Back on topic . . .

The "medium drone" era is my favorite.  More "character" ships are available without the complete and utter cheese-fest we see post 2280.

I like all eras as they all have their perks and drawbacks. I hate X-Ships, but I love X-Phasers, that kind of thing.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:25 am »

Fixing that is simple: Just have their wings back off while the three of you pound them to death and I pretty much guarantee they won't do it again if they want to play with you.

Getting his wings to agree would be difficult.  There just aren't enough players anymore.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:03 pm »
Getting his wings to agree would be difficult.  There just aren't enough players anymore.

Then it wouldn't be worth dealing with, at least for me. In my single player conquest campaign setup I have 224 playable missions with a choice of up to six missions everytime I move into a hex over five strategic levels (Scout/Exploration, FF/DD, CL/CM, CA/CCH and BCH/DN/BB). I found that I could make powerful AI enemies to fight everyone in a mission by gutting the Neutral Orions and creating (still working on it actually) a specialized shiplist that includes Borg, Andros, Tholians, Jindarians, Unidentified Aliens, B5 Shadow Vessels, new Monsters like Space Dragons and over half a dozen unmanned Probes including Scout Probes, Drone Probes, Plasma Probes and Minelayer Probes. It is a bit of a handful to manage as each layer requires it's own map and saved campaign and needs to coordinate with the other four through me, but since I'm the only one on the map it's easy enough to keep a captain's log to know where I am at each junction in a hex. I never have to play the same mission over and over again to capture a hex. I go in and run a series of missions that build up to a final mission such as a Base/Planet Assault to capture a hex. The AI may be stupid, but on admiral level with the right setup it can give you an enjoyable game that doesn't complain or not follow instructions.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »
But the AI won't laugh at my crude jokes. ;)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:14 pm »
You wouldn't have much time for jokes if you met a Borg cube. I balanced it against me in a fully stocked I-BBZ and the best I've been able to do so far 1v1 is survive half to mostly wrecked, repairing the entire time and hoping it doesn't hit me again on an already downed shield. I figure if the AI can make you run once in awhile it seems about right. Luckily, you usually only meet them in fleet encounters with the enemy there to help until the real threat is gone, then you try to kill each other with what you have left.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »
Does CE have the ISC?  Based on EAW I would suppose not.  Which solves a lot of issues.

Alternately a new ship list with realistic early era ISC ships.  This is a time frame where according to SFB canon they were peaceful and shocked by what they saw in the other races nearby.  Their ships should actually be pathetic as they are just anti pirate ships as they have no known enemies yet.  Their uber ships were specifically designed to handle General War enemies and shouldn't show up until that era.  X-Ships were anti ISC/anti Andromedan designs. 

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:21 pm »
Does CE have the ISC?  Based on EAW I would suppose not.  Which solves a lot of issues.

Alternately a new ship list with realistic early era ISC ships.  This is a time frame where according to SFB canon they were peaceful and shocked by what they saw in the other races nearby.  Their ships should actually be pathetic as they are just anti pirate ships as they have no known enemies yet.  Their uber ships were specifically designed to handle General War enemies and shouldn't show up until that era.  X-Ships were anti ISC/anti Andromedan designs.

ISC is in EAW.  They're on the cover.  OP has cartels and adv ships.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »
Its been years since I played EAW or seen the box.  Take them out and put in the FRAX.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »
Why wasn't that balanced out properly then giving the FCA-36 Warp Power and mid era 38 for all refitted?I often wondered this.Why can't it be done to day?

That would probably make them more powerful against their traditional enemies which would screw up game balance also.

I guess their traditional enemies would be Klingons,Romulans and sometimes Gorn this being canon.They are still some what under powered.

By traditional enemies, I mean Klingons, Romulans, and Lyrans.  The Gorn are allies of the feds in SFB, which is part of the reason the F-CA really isn't balanced to fight against them.  I disagree with you about the CA needing more power to fight the Klingons, Romulans, and Lyrans.

Even as is I can compete with any race while flying almost any race (Gorn and ISC tubs don't match my style).   

Well, then you must be a particularly exceptional player.  I've found that the F-CA is pretty much a death trap against a G-CA with a halfway competent human pilot.  Fighting the ISC Early CA is even worse.

I was referring to the TV show as in traditional enemies not the game.

This is supposed to be a discussion about the game.  Canon Trek is fun to watch, but it doesn't provide good gameplay.
When you say traditional enemies it sounds like those of the TV show which are the Klingons,Roms or coukd be Gorn.When it comes to the Game I would say Klingons,Roms and ISC not so much Lyran.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:27 pm »

When you say traditional enemies it sounds like those of the TV show which are the Klingons,Roms or coukd be Gorn.When it comes to the Game I would say Klingons,Roms and ISC not so much Lyran.

When I say traditional enemies, I mean traditional enemies from SFB.  After all, we are talking about a game based on SFB.  The Lyrans are allies of the Klingons.  The ISC isn't supposed to show up until much later, which makes them non-traditional enemies for early era feds.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »
The ISC isn't supposed to show up until much later, which makes them non-traditional enemies for early era feds.

In early they are non traditional enemies for everyone.