Topic: Canon Clarification  (Read 16924 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Canon Clarification
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »
To me it's identical other than a) It's fired from the Torpedo Launcher, b) it's entirely green with no blue hues like the Vor'Cha and c) it behaved differently than the usual disruptor impacts we have seen onscreen. Never the less we only saw the BOP fire it once with the Vor'Cha shields up and when the Vor'Cha used hers the BOP had it's shield down for transport.

The Vor'Cha fired again at the second ship after destroying the first and hit their shields. The effect was similar to what happened to the Vor'Cha's shields when it was hit by the BOP. I'd definitely say the the BOP fired a disruptor and the difference in color from the Vor'Cha's was to note a difference in power level of the weapon, all I was saying is there is little canon dialogue to match effects to particular weapons fire. Most of the time they just say that they are firing.

And I'm not sure that using the secret Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar fleet as a reference would be completely proper (if I'm remembering that image you posted properly). It was built covertly outside government channels and was specifically designed for planetary bombardment. They would have used anything they wanted to accomplish that goal.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 03:27:28 pm »
Well we know that the Klingons have at least four different types of weapons or variations of weapons just by what we see on screen: A green pulse weapon that I always assumed were their phasers since we never saw them fire Fed type phasers, a green/greenish-blue weapon that was identified as a disruptor, a green beam weapon that we don't know what it is and some kind of green torpedo that on the surface resembles a photon.

We know that the Romulans have at least three weapons or variations of a weapon by what we see on screen: A green beam weapon that was identified as a disruptor, a green pulse weapon that resembles the Klingon weapon of the same type and some kind of green torpedo that on the surface resembles a photon. The worst part is that they all seem to come from the same emitter which beggars the question are they all just different variations of the same weapon?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »
Hey Adam, check out the photons that DS9 fires in The Emissary. They don't look like Fed photons and it is unclear whether they were given to the station by the Enterprise or left over from the Cardassians. If the former, then the launcher has a lot to do with the look of the torp, maybe because of what power source is propelling the torp. If the latter then each race that we know uses or has used them has a different color based on who knows what.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 01:52:23 pm »
I remember an episode where Kira is facing off against enemy ships and DS9 only has 6 or 8 photons.  She fires all the photons DS9 has over the bow of the enemy ship and fakes the energy signatures to make DS9 appear to have a whole space station full of photons all ready to fire.  IIRC it wasn't until a later season that DS9 was armed to the teeth by the Feds.  Point I'm trying to make is a photons color appears to be tied to the platform that it's being fired from.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:23 pm »
That's the Emissary episode I was referring to.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 05:32:57 pm »
They fed did not have time to arm the station. In a way they send Star Fleet officer to take command of the station that "belong" to the Bajor government.

So, they did say that "all that is left", that mean the Cardasian did not have time to get all before leaving.

Why the fed did not send a "repair crew" to put some defense to the station? The Bajoran have nothing, so they ask the Fed for help and only send a few officers to take command?

That kinda stupid no? Why send officers to take command of space station without any defense, (weapons or shield)?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
Because until they found the wormhole it was a pretty unimportant backwater.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 06:51:56 pm »
Then Cardys use photons because they specifically call them photons in the episode.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »
I just finished watching all of DS9.The Station does have defenses and it does belong to Bajor.It is just he closest system and if the Cardassians did not leave they would still be slaves.

It would of been nice if DS9 would of had defenses in STO

The Quantums were white from Defiant.My other two favourite Fed ships other than the Const amybe couple more.

Star Trek: DS9 - Paradise Lost

I have just watched BSG latest one.I went and singed up for BSGOnline plays pretty good.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 05:34:39 am »
Like I said before, any empire can make what the others use, it's just a matter of resources available.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 01:48:41 pm »
One thing that I've noticed that should be considered regarding Trek and the Primary Weapons (Or Light Weapons if you prefer to call them that) is that, After TOS, (And the only reason this caveat is even in there was when Kirk used the term "Klingon Phasers" in Errand of Mercy) every race's primary weapon is also miniaturized into their ground weapons.  Breen, Romulans, Klingons all use Disruptors as their ground weapons, and they use them as their primary weapon on their Starships.  Cardassians use Phasers for their ground forces, therefore it makes sense that, even though it's never mentioned, that Cardassians would use Phasers as their primary Starship weapons.  It makes logistical sense in that if you have a standard, and limited resources, that you would focus all of your RnD into one branch, rather than have two different research branches (one for your sidearms and one for your Starships), in which case you would specialize in neither, and find yourself behind other races in terms of how powerful your weapons are.  Obviously you'd have some research in the other branch as you'd need to be able to counter other races that decided to go that route, but the bulk of your research would be in your specialized field.

So:  I guess to sum it up.  Cardassians use Phasers on their ships, because that is what their ground weapons are.  As for their heavy weapons, I would agree that Photon Torpedoes seem the most likely, although we don't know for sure.

As an aside, the Romulans set up a field hospital on one of Bajor's moons towards the end of the Dominion War, they then proceeded to import a lot of Tri-Lithium to the field hospital, which (I think it was) Worf (maybe Odo) said was a key component of Romulan Plasma Torpedoes.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 05:12:11 pm »
I often heard that cardies use thier own version of phaser as well photon torps much like Klingons.I know Roms much like to use their plasma torps to wear you down while cloaking in and out.

Yeah.It can be confusing script writer must be tired or a new one.

What the two of you working on btw?I just wished I could figure out how FireSoul did his early ship models to late in his Opplus.

Do you know the Difference between the Galaxy that was used in DS9 being different than the Ent. D?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:37:14 pm by Age »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
The Cardys also use shipbourne disruptors as they were referenced as doing so in a DS9 episode.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 11:02:24 pm »
Watch DS9 "Profit and Loss". They specifically state that they use disruptors on their ships.

And if you want to see what a Galaxy fitted for combat looks like just watch "Yesterday's Enterprise". Tasha pretty much lays it all out.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 08:54:35 am »

In this episode the green beam was identified as a disruptor. We never see the green ball again from the Klingons. It was obviously a change made by the effects team for whatever reason (it is probably faster and easier to draw a beam than animate a tracking torpedo), but you could argue that they are different versions of the same weapon. The ball may be OL's. That would make sense in the context they were used.

I'll get back to you on the Roms after I think about it some.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »
The Bird of Prey Technical Manual stated that all the Birds, (and likely every other Klingon Ship) was customizable based on the needs, and resources of the House building them.  Therefore, if a Bird wanted to be equipped with Phasers, it could be, if a House happened to have access to better Phaser Technology than Disruptor Technology.  While a ship the size of a Vor'cha is not likely to have anything but standard KDF weapons, a particular house could be poor, and not be able to deploy many Torpedoes, so instead of having a Torpedo launcher, they may have replaced a torpedo launcher with an additional disruptor.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 07:12:11 am »

I watched this ep. and I don't agree that they look like the photons fired by the station. It looks more like the green ball of the Klingons; albeit yellow and more sloppy looking. That could be chalked up to the rig job they had to do to power it.

That ep. also has an indirect reference to what the green pulse weapon of the Klingons is and if you take it as canon then disruptors can take at least three forms: beam, torp and pulse.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 09:19:28 am »
Look how clear the tripod flare is on the photons and compare it to how randomly placed they are on the disruptor. The only similarity I see is the color.

I have no idea if your film will play on my machine, but I would tend to doubt it. The film room never really did work very well.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 10:52:12 am »
If the Galaxy Class was the standard in which all other classes would be based off, hypothetically speaking of course, what would you give the Romulan D'Deridex Class?

Armaments:
12x Phaser X
2x Visible Photon Tubes which fire multiple shots

Strength Indices:

(Galaxy Class Base Value = 100%)
Beam Firepower : 100% (They have stated several times that Romulan weapons are equal to the Feds)
Torpedo Firepower : 100% (Same as above)
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 100% (Same as above)
Shield Strength : 90% (Since they make a habit of not firing first, I always assume the Feds have the best shields and that more aggressive powers count on blowing their opponents up before having a problem, but Roms like a good shield)
Hull Armour : 100% (No basis for comparison, but I assume they'd equip the ships they think need it)
Speed : 90% (Data stated in "Tin Man" that those ships had a slower top speed and they did have to ruin their engines to keep up)
Combat Maneuverability : 115% (Even the effects team makes the Enterprise turn slowly compared to how those ships spin about)
Overall Strength Index : 95%

As far as the weapons "port", it would seem foolish to put everything into one emitter, but it looks like that is what they have done. It's a game balance issue, as putting all that on one HP is impossible and silly. I suppose you could treat the emitter as neutral and line the systems up behind it if the UI will allow that. It is a shame we never get to see any other Rom ship besides the scout craft in "The Defector". They seem to use WB's for just about everyrhing else, although Rom (the Ferengi) did mention a Romulan interceptor.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:52 pm »
OK, this'll throw a monkey wrench into things - Check out DS9 "Rules of Engagement" and watch the old D7 fire what looks like a TOS first season phaser out of its "torpedo tube/deflector" at the Defiant. It even has a sound effect like a phaser.

The Quantums went through an effects change as well. First they were electric blue and kind of pulsing, but they decided to save money and go with that generic gold "jack" effect.