Topic: Canon Clarification  (Read 16964 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
Canon Clarification
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:49:13 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Canon Clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:37:20 am »
I understand that the Romulans gave up on Plasma Torpedoes when everybody simply ran away and came back tossing dozens of Photon Torpedos at them.  Then FASA has weapons like "Plasma Mortars and other non-canon weapons, but kept up pretty good with the post TOS content.

I gave up on the canon back when I first was a Klingon cruiser fire a torpedo out of its nose.  Mind you, they didn't have it all together when they filmed TOS, but, with the movies, they created so much temporary stuff that just got dumped into the canon that it's rather confusing.  Now add four more series!

JJ Trek doesn't count.  I just saw Into the Darkness or whatever.  The Enterprise not only looks 10x bigger, but then, it gets even bigger on the inside!  I guess the warp drive so extra-dimensional properties that were never explained in anything previous.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:34:58 am »
They Romulans did use plasma, but when the exchange tech with the Klingon they must have use disruptors and torpedo.

The first Romulan ship have a cloaking device on it to hide and do a sneak attack on the fed asteroid base. later Kirk send his ship into Romulan territory to get his hand on a Romulan cloaking device.

StarFleet hear that the Romulans have a (new) cloaking device and it was a threat to the security of Star Fleet. But they seem to have only disruptor, no plasma weapons like on the warbird.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:01 am »
I simply gave up on the whole thing long ago and assumed that any of the major powers could replicate the weaponry of another race if they wanted to. What it came down to was resources and the power sources available. Some weapons are obviously more costly, so some empires/races can't really compete and don't try in those types and sometimes it's a matter of choice, as with the Feds who have vast resources.

The other thing I assumed was that the Romulans were in a constant state of aquiring and trying out new tech, hence the switch from plasma to (ostensibly) photons during the time of 1701-C, but that causes a snag in historical logic since to use photons you need a matter/anti-matter power source and we know that by the time of 1701-D that the Romulans are using a small singularity as their power source and have again switched to (ostensibly) disruptors, so they must have been trying out new drive systems as well.

During a time of war I'd expect the powers to pull out all the stops and create/use whatever they could. I was just glad to hear the words "plasma torpedo" in DS9, but was very disapointed that it was portrayed as just any other DF weapon. Did they ever directly state or show a Cardy ship firing HW? I can't remember.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:28 pm »
Well.In Star Trek Online anything goes most don't stick to traditional weaponry of their empire.Cryptic has done most of this allowing certain ship to use certain weapons.It is anything goes in STO which is why pvp is dead or a joke.I despite the tier system.

I know Roms use plasma torps and plasma disruptors.I will have to rewatch yesterdays Enterprise again

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:35 pm »
Birth of the Federation has the Cardassians using Photon and Quantum Torpedoes.

But it also has Klingons using Ion Torpedoes instead of Photon Torpedoes.

Romulans use Plasma Torpedoes, as they should.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
One time in TNG they fired a Pink/Rosy colored disruptor burst, dont really know if it was a torpedo or what not.

What ep.? I think we can assume that the Cardys don't use disruptors since everytime they stated that disruptors were the weapon used they also stated that pointed to Klingons, Romulans or Breen.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 05:51:03 am »
Plasma bolt of some kind IMHO.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 07:29:35 am »
Plasma bolt of some kind IMHO.

Could be since we know that they do have plasma capabilities at least. It definitely isn't a photon, at least not like the Feds use. I can see where one might get the idea it was a disruptor since it is very TOS disruptor blobbish, but we know what disruptors look like (at least Klingon ones) from the attack on Gowron's ship at the start of the Klingon Civil War.

Since it wasn't named it could be anything. Game developers will use what they can to save money, so they aren't going to invent new things when they can just say thay the Cardys use photons or whatever, especially if there was an onscreen reference to them using those types of weapons (quantums or whatnot).

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:26 am »
The firing ark seems odd for some reason.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:10:56 am »
I always cut the crew slack. They had about two weeks to design and build all the sets and do the effects for each episode. I assume lots of sleep loss and coffee are to blame for most gaffs.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
Oh, well, that's easy. What side of the map do they come from? And don't assume that the red square is a deflector. It may be their main weapons array and the gold dots on the wings are the deflectors.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:33 am »
I think I'd go with plasma and/or missiles.  Probably both.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 11:15:51 am »
Cardys don't impress me as the run you down and anchor you type. Having all HW that can be WW is a liability at times, as the Gorn know too well. The Roms get away with it by having a cloak and a NSM on (nearly) every ship.

If I were outfitting for TNG specs with what we have in OP I think a probable Gala class outfitting would look something like this:

1xPPD FA

2xPlasX FH

2xPlasF LP/RP

12-14 PhX various arcs

2xPhG LS/RS

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »
This is my Borg cube. I've seen it ruin an ISC BB in one shot.

140 total power, 900 hull, 100 armor, only 20 shields all around, but with 140 power and reinforcement...

3xPhoH FARA   

3xPhoH LR   

3xDisH FARA   

3xDisH LR   

2xHB FARA   

2xHB LR                     

3xADD12      

3xADD12   

2xPh4 FARA   

2xPh4 LR   

4xPhX FARA   

4xPhX LR   

4xPhX FARA   

4xPhX LR   

2xPhG FARA   

2xPhG LR

The Tactical Cube is a little lighter on weapons and power, but has 28 shields all around and eight nasty, nasty fighters (I found a use for that life pod model we never get to see).

The PPD isn't too bad as long as you restrict the numbers per ship to:

0 on anything sized smaller than a CM/CS.

1 on anything sized CM/CS to BCH.

2 on a DN.

3 on a DNH.

4 on a BB.

EDITED: PPD part for clarity.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:21:30 pm by Corbomite »

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »
I'll just put in my 2 cents.  I guess that it might have been some FASA material that was put on the internet, but it left an impression on me.  The page described the Cardies as using photons and disruptors as primary weapons, but having obtained some kind of plasma defense or plasma mortar from the Romulans.

Back, years ago, I made up SFB SSD's of TOS Cardasians, arming them as a P2 race with disruptors in the front and light plasmas in the rear, as "drone" weapons.  I tested them in SFC, but wasn't real impressed.  I thought that was pretty accurate for their depiction in ST.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »
Looking at those pictures again, that energy bolt could pass as a off color Hellborn.  Food for thought.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
If your just going to go by looks it looks like a PlasE.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 07:18:39 pm »
Wow, that seems kind of weak for a 24th century ship, but as long as everyone else is comparable it really doesn't matter.

As far a the B-Cube goes, it was designed for a fleet to battle and since I replaced the neutral pirates with them (as well as other "new" encounters) they end up in the dozen or so pirate missions I have and since everyone hates them more, both sides try to kill the Borg before engaging everyone else. It ends up the survivors trying to kill each other with what's left. Oh, did I forget to mention that it has a 100 explosion strength? You don't want to be on top of it when it goes!  :D The Shadow vessel is just as bad, but cloaks constantly (cost of 1). It actually behaves like they did in B5: hit hard and cloak out, then reappear to finish you.

The other fun ones I added were the robotic probes. I think I have almost ten models. The minelayer probe is hilarious to fight. I gave it 2 PPD's, 50 T-Bombs and 10 Transporters (plus some PD) and 4 tough little robot fighters. It has no shields, but has some armor and a cloak. If you try to range it you get PPD'd, if you try to tractor it it T-Bombs you to death.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »
What do your early era ships look like? Stuck out tongues and nasty looks? What do you graduate to in mid era? Spitballs and slingshots?  :P ;)