Topic: Woot! @ stargate fans  (Read 15695 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Woot! @ stargate fans
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »

I like the new BSG it gave the series some depth instead of arrive on Earth in Flying Motorcycles.

The original BSG was fine for 13 yr. olds, and the new BSG was all too deep and realistic.  It not only presented a situation where utter desperation becomes utter hopelessness.  After watching an episode, the emotion sticks with you.  It is not logical to invite despair into your life.
I don't look at it that way I look at as hope.There are far more shows on about despair.What I was saying tho is that it is more in depth than the original sure it was fine.You just don't land on new Planet and go around flying motorcycles up the Pacific Coast Hwy.

@Tus the external threat on BSG Happened right at the start.

Tus was referring to SGU, not BSG.  How you can find how in the new BSG is completely beyond me.  Every episode ended up making me feel sick.  An example:

I can't remember her name, but she took her half-Cylon child to the airlock.  Just after she unlocked the outer door, a full Cyclon woman takes her child and clubs her.  As the mother recovers, she's still in the air-lock, and the Cylon is on the other side of the glass at the controls.  The mother looks the Cylon in the eye, just before the Cylon opens the outer door, flushing her into space.

The scene they're referring to was the murder of Callie Tyrol by I think her name was Tory.  Also, Callie's baby was not a hybrid.  It was later revealed that she was a slut who despite being married had gotten it on with hotdog.

Also, Boomer didn't have a baby.  The baby Hera was Athena's daughter.  The Colonial's worst enemy Laura Rosilin, faked the child's stillbirth, and gave her to someone else to raise.

The flying motorcycles were from Galacica 1980.  The original 1978 BSG had a budget of $1,000,000 per episode.  This is the same as Star Trek TNG, and even greater when you take inflation into account.  However, the big three networks don't like spending alot on programming, and the show was cancelled after a season.  However, it was popular, so they decided to do a spinoff in 1980.  To save money, the new series was planet based.  It was universally panned.

The re-imagined BSG was the brainchild of Ron D. Moore, a veteran Star Trek writer who had worked on TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and co-wrote Star Trek First Contact.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:48:00 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »

The re-imagined BSG was the brainchild of Ron D. Moore, a veteran Star Trek writer who had worked on TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and co-wrote Star Trek First Contact.

ST must have suppressed the dark nature of his imagination.  I wonder how the creators of SGU got the sense that that was the way to go.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:05 pm »

ST must have suppressed the dark nature of his imagination.  I wonder how the creators of SGU got the sense that that was the way to go.

DS9 could get pretty dark at times, and First Contact wasn't the fluffiest of films.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 09:46:34 pm »
Dark just isn't the nature of ST, so you have to work really hard to insert it.  The darkest ST was Nemisis, and it sucked.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:51 pm »
The darkest Star Trek was "In A Mirror Darkly" and it ruled.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 11:26:35 pm »
I didn't care for it that much.  Then, I really soured on that series after the 1st season.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »
That and the story with the Terran xenophobes were the shining lights in an otherwise dull series. But then again, Trek has always had bits of genius nestled in a mire of crap. Remember that horrible story in the first season of TNG where Wesley was being held for capital punishment for falling into a hedge or some stupid thing? The sequence with the alien probe penetrating the ship and addressing Picard was some of the best Trek ever, but the rest of the story...  ::)

Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of SG. It just never caught my attention.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:49 am »
That and the story with the Terran xenophobes were the shining lights in an otherwise dull series. But then again, Trek has always had bits of genius nestled in a mire of crap. Remember that horrible story in the first season of TNG where Wesley was being held for capital punishment for falling into a hedge or some stupid thing? The sequence with the alien probe penetrating the ship and addressing Picard was some of the best Trek ever, but the rest of the story...  ::)

Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of SG. It just never caught my attention.

You're absolutely right about ST having tid bits of genius nestled in a mire of crap.  Wesley almost destroyed that series single-handedly.  Why the studio would put a child in that position I will never know.  The actor is probably going to have to dodge rotten vegetables where ever he goes for the rest of his life.  Now, I'm going to have to find that episode and watch it again, just to find out what you're talking about.

As far as SG goes, the premise was stupid.  As far as SG1 goes, the actors were really good and the writing utterly fantastic.  With that combination, they could go off in all sorts of weird directions and explore a multitude of fantastic theater.  They managed to extend that series a lot longer than I would have thought possible while maintaining my interest.  From there, they went to SG Atlantis, and I just don't have any need for space vampires, and from there, they went on to SGU, which was pointless, dull, and depressing.  The end of SG1 should have been the end of that franchise.  Well, except for a couple movies, I guess.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 10:26:15 am »

You're absolutely right about ST having tid bits of genius nestled in a mire of crap.  Wesley almost destroyed that series single-handedly.  Why the studio would put a child in that position I will never know.

Ship needs a cabin boy.

TNG Recut 8 A Klingon Orgasm

Seriously though, Wesley Crusher was intended to be the in show persona of Eugene Wesley Roddenberry.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:21 am »
Now, I'm going to have to find that episode and watch it again, just to find out what you're talking about.

STATE... (rumble, rumble) THE... (rumble, rumble) PURPOSE... (rumble, rumble)

That ought to jog your memory.  ;) :D

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:46 pm »
It's been 33 years.  I just remember feeling sick every time Wesley came into the frame.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 02:51:37 pm »
He's not in that scene. You'll do fine.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 03:23:17 pm »
The white sphere was kinda cool.  It's actually reminiscent of rock concert LASER effects of the time.  Man, I hated the rest of that episode.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »
The actor is probably going to have to dodge rotten vegetables where ever he goes for the rest of his life.

Not one for internet current events eh. I doubt he's worried about vegetables.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »
Yeah, between The Big Bang Theory and his new show, he's doing OK.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 04:26:39 pm »
The actor is probably going to have to dodge rotten vegetables where ever he goes for the rest of his life.

Not one for internet current events eh. I doubt he's worried about vegetables.

I guess not.  I'm still for throwing rotten vegetables at him.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:26 pm »

I like the new BSG it gave the series some depth instead of arrive on Earth in Flying Motorcycles.

The original BSG was fine for 13 yr. olds, and the new BSG was all too deep and realistic.  It not only presented a situation where utter desperation becomes utter hopelessness.  After watching an episode, the emotion sticks with you.  It is not logical to invite despair into your life.
I don't look at it that way I look at as hope.There are far more shows on about despair.What I was saying tho is that it is more in depth than the original sure it was fine.You just don't land on new Planet and go around flying motorcycles up the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Tus was referring to SGU, not BSG.  How you can find how in the new BSG is completely beyond me.  Every episode ended up making me feel sick.  An example:

I can't remember her name, but she took her half-Cylon child to the airlock.  Just after she unlocked the outer door, a full Cyclon woman takes her child and clubs her.  As the mother recovers, she's still in the air-lock, and the Cylon is on the other side of the glass at the controls.  The mother looks the Cylon in the eye, just before the Cylon opens the outer door, flushing her into space.

The scene they're referring to was the murder of Callie Tyrol by I think her name was Tory.  Also, Callie's baby was not a hybrid.  It was later revealed that she was a slut who despite being married had gotten it on with hotdog.

Also, Boomer didn't have a baby.  The baby Hera was Athena's daughter.  The Colonial's worst enemy Laura Rosilin, faked the child's stillbirth, and gave her to someone else to raise.

That was different episode of Callie's and Boomer did have baby.

The original creator  is Glen A Larson not Moore.

I enjoyed DS9 out all of the TNG era Sisko is a lot like Kirk.When it comes to ST Atlantis it was a success when it came to the ratings.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:56 pm »

That was different episode of Callie's and Boomer did have baby.

The original creator  is Glen A Larson not Moore.

I enjoyed DS9 out all of the TNG era Sisko is a lot like Kirk.When it comes to ST Atlantis it was a success when it came to the ratings.

The scene they were talking about was where Callie was thrown out of the airlock.

Larson created the original.  He had nothing to do with the re-imagined BSG.

Also, Boomer did not have a baby.  Boomer and Athena were the same model Cylon played by the same actress.  Athena married Karl "Helo" Agathon, and gave birth to Hera.  Boomer shot Adama, and was "killed" by Callie.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:48 pm »
Cripes! What a soap opera! I'm glad I never watched it!  :P ;D

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:37 pm »
Cripes! What a soap opera! I'm glad I never watched it!  :P ;D

Soap operas do not leave you feeling sick like this series did. :(