Topic: Woot! @ stargate fans  (Read 15725 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Woot! @ stargate fans
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:15 pm »
http://geektyrant.com/news/new-stargate-trilogy-coming-from-warner-bros-and-mgm

Warner Bros. and MGM are set to develop a new trilogy based on the 1994 sci-fi adventure film Stargate. The co-writer and director of the original film, Roland Emmerich, will direct the new trilogy, and his long time producing partner Dean Devlin will obviously produce.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Woot! @ stargate fans
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:01:02 am »
Cool.  Also glad they didn't try doing a prequel a la Star Wars...

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:50:52 pm »
No place for a prequel in the Stargate universe, unless it doesn't involve Earth.

I'm skeptical, even though the original writer is doing the film, reboots have not gone over well.  I wonder if there's going to be a nod to series, or if it's just a reboot of the movie?  Are we going to see Carter and Teal'c, or just O'Neill and Jackson?  How about Hammond or Frasier?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:01:00 pm »
The movie Stargate was ok.  The TV series, SG-1 rocked.  They rode that story-line beyond the end-point, but it was still good to the very end.  I'm one of those people you piss-off when you start talking about ancient aliens, so I wasn't exactly roped-in with the premise.  The writing, acting, even the picture quality got me.  Even as I joked about every alien planet looking like Western Canada, that show remained interesting and beautiful.  Hopefully, I'll be able to saw the same thing about the upcoming films.  It appears that it's going to be some time before the ST franchise is entrusted to somebody who has the slightest respect for the audience.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »
No place for a prequel in the Stargate universe, unless it doesn't involve Earth.

I know a way it could be done without violating what was shown on the show.  It wouldn't use the Stargate though.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:46 pm »

Actually, you could have a prequel, but it would have to take place around 3000 BCE.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:12:00 am »
Modern day.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:08:34 pm »
We will be ready for as all series were filmed up here like BSG.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:53 am »

The guy who did BSG did a Stargate series, and it wasn't good.  An escape from reality just doesn't work when it's more depressing than your real life.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

The guy who did BSG did a Stargate series, and it wasn't good.  An escape from reality just doesn't work when it's more depressing than your real life.

I actually enjoyed BSG lastest one and I did like the Stargate Universe and it could of been the same guy as BSG is Glen A Larson and I know that Stargate isn't.

BattleStar Galactica 2004
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076984/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Stargate
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118480/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286039/

I like the new BSG it gave the series some depth instead of arrive on Earth in Flying Motorcycles.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 04:14:24 pm »

I like the new BSG it gave the series some depth instead of arrive on Earth in Flying Motorcycles.

The original BSG was fine for 13 yr. olds, and the new BSG was all too deep and realistic.  It not only presented a situation where utter desperation becomes utter hopelessness.  After watching an episode, the emotion sticks with you.  It is not logical to invite despair into your life.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:17 pm »

The original BSG was fine for 13 yr. olds, and the new BSG was all too deep and realistic.  It not only presented a situation where utter desperation becomes utter hopelessness.  After watching an episode, the emotion sticks with you.  It is not logical to invite despair into your life.

One of the reasons i did not watch BSG and I didn't enjoy Stargate Universe - well at least not until half way through the 2nd season.  At that point I think they realized that people were not enjoying the constant infighting and gave them an 'external' threat to deal with.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »

I don't look at it that way I look at as hope.There are far more shows on about despair.What I was saying tho is that it is more in depth than the original sure it was fine.You just don't land on new Planet and go around flying motorcycles up the Pacific Coast Hwy.

@Tus the external threat on BSG Happened right at the start.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 06:04:11 am »

I don't look at it that way I look at as hope.There are far more shows on about despair.What I was saying tho is that it is more in depth than the original sure it was fine.You just don't land on new Planet and go around flying motorcycles up the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Tus was referring to SGU, not BSG.  How you can find how in the new BSG is completely beyond me.  Every episode ended up making me feel sick.  An example:

I can't remember her name, but she took her half-Cylon child to the airlock.  Just after she unlocked the outer door, a full Cyclon woman takes her child and clubs her.  As the mother recovers, she's still in the air-lock, and the Cylon is on the other side of the glass at the controls.  The mother looks the Cylon in the eye, just before the Cylon opens the outer door, flushing her into space.

If that were some isolated incident in the show, it would have been hard on an audience, but theme of the show was pain, constant, unrelenting pain.  I stopped watching the show, and came back to watch Apollo's girlfriend blow her own head off.  There is nothing more hopeless than watching beautiful young women die.

As an experiment in TV drama, I can respect it.  The BSG universe had little hope from its conception.  One could imagine the creators making a show about despair, simply to avoid insulting the audience with happy endings in a show about a near perfect genocide of the human race. 

That formula didn't work for SGU.  The basic story line and the alien technology is simply too fanciful for deep, grim stories.  Second, the constant infighting was just not realistic.  The only reason anybody watched that show was that they were completely desperate to see some sci-fi.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 03:49:48 pm »
.What I was saying tho is that it is more in depth than the original sure it was fine.You just don't land on new Planet and go around flying motorcycles up the Pacific Coast Hwy.

You're confusing the original BSG with its crappy spinoff I think.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »
The flying motorcycles came from a made for TV movie that was produced some time after the original BSG was canceled.  I think it was meant to bring a happy ending to the series by having the Colonials find Earth.  It was kind of like Serenity, except that the Firefly series enjoyed excellence in every aspect.  Firefly...  Excuse me while I get on Netflix.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:35 pm »
Yes, Conquest of the Earth, which was created by editing together "Galactica 1980" episodes 1, 2, 3, 7 & 8...aka BSG's crappy spinoff.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 08:35:37 pm »
Yes, Conquest of the Earth, which was created by editing together "Galactica 1980" episodes 1, 2, 3, 7 & 8...aka BSG's crappy spinoff.

May all copies deteriorate, never be seen again.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 05:57:36 pm »

Tus was referring to SGU, not BSG.  How you can find how in the new BSG is completely beyond me.  Every episode ended up making me feel sick.  An example:

I can't remember her name, but she took her half-Cylon child to the airlock.  Just after she unlocked the outer door, a full Cyclon woman takes her child and clubs her.  As the mother recovers, she's still in the air-lock, and the Cylon is on the other side of the glass at the controls.  The mother looks the Cylon in the eye, just before the Cylon opens the outer door, flushing her into space.

If that were some isolated incident in the show, it would have been hard on an audience, but theme of the show was pain, constant, unrelenting pain.  I stopped watching the show, and came back to watch Apollo's girlfriend blow her own head off.  There is nothing more hopeless than watching beautiful young women die.

As an experiment in TV drama, I can respect it.  The BSG universe had little hope from its conception.  One could imagine the creators making a show about despair, simply to avoid insulting the audience with happy endings in a show about a near perfect genocide of the human race. 

That formula didn't work for SGU.  The basic story line and the alien technology is simply too fanciful for deep, grim stories.  Second, the constant infighting was just not realistic.  The only reason anybody watched that show was that they were completely desperate to see some sci-fi.

They didn't throw hybrid cylon baby out of an airlock it was stillborn baby.The hybrid was given to the mother who lost her stillborn.It was Boomers hybrid.What would you do if say the destroyed your world think of the Twin Towers on how every American felt towards Muslims/Mid Eastners.It made the humans angry that every clony world was destroyed by the cylons after they broke the armistice.

SGU never finished it contract as it was cancelled.

@Vipre I would say it is a lot better than the original as it has more depth to it.The acting is far superior and a better production on a whole.what is the flying motorcycles which no one on earth has ever seen as they in Star Trek that is breaking the almighty Prime Directive. 

Yeah right and who in California wears a helmet flying away from a bunch of Harley riders.Btw cloaking their Vipers??

This is probably why Glen Made the new version to give it more depth and reality.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:10:29 pm by Age »

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:59 am »
Cally Henderson Tyrol is the name of the character that got flushed out the air-lock.  I wasn't writing about Boomer.

Nobody is denying that the original cast from the original BSG were in a spin-off from the original BSG, riding flying motorcycles.  Why you have to keep reminding us of it could only be an act of sadism worthy of the creators of the new BSG.