Topic: Star Trek Axanar  (Read 29630 times)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Star Trek Axanar
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:02 am »
nothin' wrong with being one of those there optimists, it's just so damn hard sometimes ;)

Just a reminder, TOS was a ratings failure during the Gemini/Apollo heydeys and barely got a third season because of fans like us (althought the supposed cancellation of season 3 that spawned the leter-writing campaign was mostly rumor).

Once a niche audience, always a niche audience.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »
Not gonna lie. Not really feeling the Renegades. Esp the Fed/Rebel ships design

Actually I like the Renegades for a different reason.  Renegades looked like it was more about action instead of just talking about things that happen.  It's one of the few complaints I have about the other Trek as well including Axanar.  To keep production costs down they have to do that before but now there is no excuse.  This line of thinking they have is what is holding back good Sci Fi, well that and a good story week after week but I that is another topic for another time.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:17 am »
Not gonna lie. Not really feeling the Renegades. Esp the Fed/Rebel ships design

Actually I like the Renegades for a different reason.  Renegades looked like it was more about action instead of just talking about things that happen.  It's one of the few complaints I have about the other Trek as well including Axanar.  To keep production costs down they have to do that before but now there is no excuse.  This line of thinking they have is what is holding back good Sci Fi, well that and a good story week after week but I that is another topic for another time.

Maybe us old folks don't need ADHD paced action to hold us.  I liked the style and thought that went into Prelude to Axanar. I showed it to a few other friends at work who are into sci-fi and they all thought it was good. Everyone 45 or older in my circle though.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
Axanar is entirely about a huge battle that determined the outcome of a galactic war and changed the course of the history of the Federation. How much more action do you need?

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2015, 09:43:39 pm »

Maybe us old folks don't need ADHD paced action to hold us.

I think there is some truth to that.  After raising five kids and listening to their friends, ADHD of some form seems to be the norm.  I blame it on cell phones.  That reasoning shows up in the money generated by the recent action movies at the box office.  I knew I was going to take some junk from posting earlier but my kids liked the JJ Trek a lot better than the older stuff.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2015, 02:04:06 pm »
my 18 year old is as typical as they come when it comes to cels/FB etc, and she laughed her way thru "Into Drekness"

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »
my 18 year old is as typical as they come when it comes to cels/FB etc, and she laughed her way thru "Into Drekness"

Here I am, and I still can't convince my older brother that JJ Trek is anything less than a methodical deconstruction of ST.  It's a freaking joke, but it merely offends the average fan of the franchise.  Your daughter falls in a tiny minority of people that get it, without being offended.  The rest, just don't have a clue.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »
I just had a thought and converted this to play on my big screen TV. Damn it looks even better bigger!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2015, 01:27:51 pm »
I have my old computer hooked up to a 39" screen so I have played SFC pretty large.

I just thought of something. I wonder how Axanar is going to show the interiors of the ships. It will be interesting to see if they go all retro like they did with the uniforms or a little sleeker with less interior space. Those old Enterprise corridors were huge and the little oval view screens in the first pilot looked retro even in the '60s.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2015, 06:56:19 pm »
I have my old computer hooked up to a 39" screen so I have played SFC pretty large.

I just thought of something. I wonder how Axanar is going to show the interiors of the ships. It will be interesting to see if they go all retro like they did with the uniforms or a little sleeker with less interior space. Those old Enterprise corridors were huge and the little oval view screens in the first pilot looked retro even in the '60s.

You REALLY should be following the daily blog...
http://www.startrekaxanar.com/2015/06/

The jelly bean buttons are out, touchscreens are in.  As for the 'periscope' viewer, no word on that yet...

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 07:29:23 pm »

You REALLY should be following the daily blog...
http://www.startrekaxanar.com/2015/06/

The jelly bean buttons are out, touchscreens are in.  As for the 'periscope' viewer, no word on that yet...

It was just a passing thought. I don't really  want to know yet. I like to wait and be surprised, like I was surprised that they managed to make those old style uniforms actually lay correctly.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:55 am »
File this under "another 'fan' project that may/may not go anywhere" - Michael Dorn's pet project Captain Worf is still floating around out there

http://www.blastr.com/2015-6-1/michael-dorn-updates-us-his-proposed-capt-worf-series-and-reveals-intriguing-plot-details

I suspect that, as usual, most ST fans would be more interested in this than the next film in the JJ series

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:12 am »
I wouldn't. Captain Sisko was right, Worf would never be offered his own command after what he did.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »
sure, I get the reference ;) but Worf did no worse than any other Trek captain. I mean, Sisko assassinated a foreign dignitary. ("In The Pale Moonlight")

Oh, okay, so did Worf ("Reunion"), but, that was, like, a Klingon thing. Prime Directive and all that.  :D

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2015, 08:05:14 pm »
This is just a beautiful shot:

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:26 pm »
"I hate to see you leave, but I love to watch you go"

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2015, 03:35:11 pm »
For anyone that might care, the indiegogo fundraising campaign is here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar#/story

Stretch goals are targetted up to $1,320,000, so far they've raised over $270,000 of that goal as of this post.  This does not include previous efforts (cost to produce Prelude to Axanar, costs associated with  getting studio up and running).

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 06:29:11 pm »
Interesting Axanar blog news.

Today, they featured FASA'a Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator via a guest blog:

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/axanar-gaming-star-trek-starship-tactical-combat-simulator/

Anyways, at the bottomf of the blog posting, it says this....

We’ll have some more stuff on the FASA RPG next week, but we’re also interested in hearing about anything Axanar-related in terms of video games. So if you’re working on a mod, or part of an Axanar influenced fleet in Star Trek Online, or just a fan of Trek video games, let us know! – DH

Some one involved with SFC/Dynaverse.net should drop them a line!  Especially if you are already a donor...

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:58 am »
Exeter already did in regards to SFC IV and got nowhere.  I wasn't in on the whole conversation but it sounded like they wanted a lot of cash.  Something we really can't do, but who knows, maybe they changed their minds.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 01:23:34 pm »
I was reading some fan comments about the "problem" of where (not to mention when) the Enterprise and, ostensibly, the other Constitution class ships were actually constructed. On the one hand we have the original idea that they were built in Earth orbit. On the other hand we have the JJ-verse idea that they were constructed Earth-side and somehow launched into space. On the third hand (in commemoration of Lt. Arex) we have Axanar saying that they were built at Axanar, which helps build up their story. Of course, what ST really needs is more contradictions, so this has only caused to help that out with more disagreements. Adding in "non-canon" stuff only makes it worse between registry numbers being out of sequence and other tales that don't appear onscreen.

I was going through the old TAS stuff recently and while most might not consider it "canon", I feel its pedigree is better than most simply because it was produced, written and acted by the TOS gang, albeit with limited resources; and while they flew a bit fast and loose with some of their own earlier concepts, it holds true to its roots pretty well. Two things struck me as significant to later incarnations of ST:

1) While not shown in use, it was mentioned that the Klingons have the cloaking device at their disposal. This is about ten years before STIII "introduced" it to the Klingons (originally by Kruge stealing one from the Romulans by way of the BoP, which was dropped from the storyline).

2) Captain April (now seventy-five year old Commodore April) states that he had watched the components of the Enterprise being constructed at the Earth Naval Yards in his youth. This was an interesting choice of words. He said "components" not "ship". Earth Naval Yards also implies a ground installation (at least to me) rather than a space based one.

This got me thinking. Perhaps JJ wasn't so far off? (Oh, the blasphemy! :mischief:)

Let's face it, construction in space is hard, even in the 23rd century. Between needing constant life support and time consuming and expensive zero G training, not to mention upping the chance of death even in a minor accident (again due to that bulky and expensive life support gear), it seems plausible that given their ability to control local gravity that it would be likely that certain parts of the ship were constructed planet-side. There, they could lighten or even remove all weight from the materials while allowing the workers the freedom of movement and ability that they are accustomed to during construction. Then, with the same gravity control (and probably some industrial transporters), they raise the parts into orbit for final assembly. So, engines and nacelles are produced one place in the yard, while saucer in another and secondary hull in another, etc.

Now, as far as Axanar goes the question remains: if this is true, why would they haul the components to another star system to assemble them? Well, there was a war on and Admiral Ramirez said that the new class of ship was proving more difficult than they had anticipated. It is possible that they felt that it was more secure at the center of the Federation and that it also cut down travel time between the races that were helping complete them. They had over a dozen races working on the Ares class, who knows how many were working on the Constitution class. Once the basic hull structures were completed they very well may have warp ferried them to Axanar for completion and installation of systems, which themselves were built on other worlds.