Topic: Star Trek ships  (Read 42327 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Star Trek ships
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:25 am »
Just because making antimatter is difficult and expensive now doesn't mean that it would be in TOS or later. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 10:19:54 am »
Oh, latinum can't be replicated because ithey're copy-protected. DRM survives to the 24th century it seems.

So i guess photorps are a proprietary system. Must be an Apple product and it took a season or two for someone to find a Linux hack for the licensed components ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:07 am »
And Steamboat Willie will still be under copyright.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 12:18:36 pm »
250 photon torpedo? on the Enterprise D?

Kirk's ship got around 500 and it was smaller that the D.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 12:26:39 pm »
Kirk didn't have to have nurseries and kindergarten.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 12:44:58 pm »
I don't see the point, the big D is like 4 time the size of the A, so it should have more torpedo if its like a battleship? There a lot of place to store more torpedo that the A.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »
This is why basing a game on Trek "cannon" is madness :)

I've fired way more than 500 torps in some fights.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 02:05:57 pm »
In the episode whit the species who talk with example the Enterprise fire phaser with its torpedo tube. I was wondering why?

I don't remember seeing them fire torpedo from the phaser array?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 02:51:24 pm »

How long did those matches go for?  Could you even stand by the time they were over?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »

How long did those matches go for?  Could you even stand by the time they were over?

i was a much younger man back then, longest fight was a 3+ hour F-CLC versus R-SPJ (the one with 3 S torps), back we we had like 40 spare parts on a ship.  easily fired 1000 photons.

I see a Photon Torps as a railgun the fires an anti-matter bomb, stored uncharged and takes warp power to charge because as it's charged it siphons detrium/anti-detirum from the warp-core.  It has a physical casing but there's not much to it so you can hold a zillion on a ship.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »
In seasons 5 episode 19 is that Tom Paris? The Cadet with the 4 bars? At 2:17.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »
No, that's Nicholas Locarno.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:40 pm »

i was a much younger man back then, longest fight was a 3+ hour F-CLC versus R-SPJ (the one with 3 S torps), back we we had like 40 spare parts on a ship.  easily fired 1000 photons.

:crazy2:  You'd think at some point he would have downgraded to all F's and ran you down like a SPZ. With all those spares he could have easily taken the bloody nose. But then again, D2 Roms were always too timid and seemed to never hear of a NSM. I managed a lot of Fed kills playing Rom when they expected me to hold off more and play coy when instead I'd go in for the kill right off.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 06:01:17 pm »
Don, are you just scrolling though epsiodes without watching them?? :laugh:

BTW, where does this "500 torps on the TOS 1701" come from? An episode? 'Cause, if not, it's not canon (the correct spelling of the word, not a piece of artillery)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »
I watch them, but some not completely  :D

In Star Trek VI how many torpedo where on the ship? I think its like 500?

I taught it was Tom since he was in Star fleet when he join the maki. i don't know what rank he was so I taught he might be him during his time at the academy, like 5 years before Voyager.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:02 am »
It's a very common mistake and question because at first they were supposed to be the same character..

Robert Duncan McNeill got the gig on Voyager because the producers/creators/whomever liked him in that episodes.

"Originally the writers planned to use the character of Nicolas Locarno, who was played by McNeill in the Next Generation episode "The First Duty". However, this would have required royalties to be paid to that episode's writers for every additional episode in which the Locarno character appeared.[citation needed] As a result, Voyager‍ '​s writers created an entirely new character sharing many of Locarno's attributes."

Frakkin money, just about everything boils down to it.

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:47 am »
I seem to recall there only being 4 columns of about 20 entries in the inventory screen.  I haven't seen a screen cap of it, but that would mean the Ent-A would only have 80 torpedoes.

I used to play a game for the PC called Star Trek: The Rebel Universe.  It was a DOS based text game, with images, and crude line drawings, excellent for its time.  The Enterprise had 50 torpedoes in that game.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:04 am »
My strong denunciation of ST technology came from watching Voyager, and later with Enterprise offering us tid bits like phasers being "particle weapons."  ST DS9 was wonderful when they kept to politics.  When they got into the gadgetry of things, well, they did get kinda goofy.  Voyager was being produced at the same time as Star Gate.  The SG writers has some wonderful physicists working with their staff of writers.  Voyager was asking us to being that water was scarce on the other side of the galaxy.  Anybody that wants a little science in their fiction has got to hate that.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 09:09:30 am »
Seasons 5 episode 23 I Borg. that Borg was a teenager, but was not in a maturation chamber. In voyager Echab and the other Borg who where kids and teenager where in maturation chamber.

So if that Borg "Hue" was a teenager, why was he not in a maturation chamber?

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:07 am »
"Hugh" wasn't in a maturation chamber because, different writers. IMO, I think there's a sliding scale for different species, when they were assimilated, needs of that particular cluster of drones, but, different writers.

I'm glad that they rewrote McNeill's character as Tom Paris,  Locarno was kinda a dick but who knows, maybe that coudla worked. The two characters do look alike (obviously), but if you listen, I don't know, to the actual dialogue, he's referred to as "Nick" or "Locarno." When Nick Tate showed up in TNG "Final Mission," I didn't think it was Alan Carter... :laugh:

hattahs gotta hate -  I don't think they were trying to say water itself was scarce in the Delta Quadrant, just on the surface of Kes's homeworld. Sure, I got a little squirmy over the idea that even the Kazon couldn't condense hydrogen and oxygen into H2O, but the real point was that they "weren't in Kansas anymore" and things like replicators might be non-standard. Cherry-picked example anyhows - there's plenty of good science in all Trek, and I'd stack Okuda/Sternbach/Bormanis against SG anytime, but you see what you want to see.

Here's the screencap of the torpedo inventory on 1701A in ST6. Four columns of 24 each, so, 96 on that page. Seems like a good number; about 85 to 90 cubic meters that we've established have to be someplace "safe" near the launchers.