Topic: Star Trek ships  (Read 42375 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: Star Trek ships
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2015, 09:59:57 am »
Season 7 episode 12 The Pegasus
Ricker was an Ensine at that time and 12 years later he's a commander. So I was wondering why in Voyager Ensine Kim was never promoted to at lest lieutenant during the 7 years he was aboard the Voyager ?

!2 years seem a short time from ensine to commander?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2015, 10:07:14 am »
Voyager was a unique situation.  With the ship in the Delta quadrant, there was no ability to transfer off so few opportunities for promotion.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »
Episode 13, the fed have only 2 M class world that his not habitat in they data base? Also the civilization that is like medieval have rubber boots, its too advance for them, they should have boot made with animals skin.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:48 pm »

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2015, 01:23:57 pm »
TNG seasons 7 episode 14 at 38:54 on the tomb stone the name is Mc Fly (back to the future)  ::) I know its Irish but it remind me of Marty Mc Fly.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2015, 01:42:56 pm »
Here a screenshot of it.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »
I know its Irish but it remind me of Marty Mc Fly.

Actually, that colony was recreating the Scottish Highlands, not Ireland.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2015, 05:25:42 pm »
Episode 13, the fed have only 2 M class world that his not habitat in they data base? Also the civilization that is like medieval have rubber boots, its too advance for them, they should have boot made with animals skin.

You didn't specify what series, or season so I can't fully answer your questions.  But regarding the boots, why not rubber?  Its an alien world.  You don't know what types of vegetation are available to them, or what technological processes they have.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »
TNG, seasons 7 episode 13.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2015, 06:05:46 pm »

My guess for why there were only two worlds was that they were factoring in the time it would take the holodeck to fail and whether or not the Enterprise could reach them.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »

One of my least favourite TNG episodes.  The way TNG twists the Prime Directive. 

Consider in All Our Yesterdays Kirk is sent to a pre warp planet that is about to be destroyed by a Nova to contact them and ferry as many of them as they can to safety.  In optimum situation that would be at most a few thousands assuming there was a nearby system less than 2 light months away where they could drop the overload of people only to relay them to a safe distance before the shock wave hit them there.  The goal of the Prime Directive is to PROTECT a developing culture.  This is why when Kirk interferes with Vaal, Landru, the Iotians an others he is not in violation.

TNG on the other hand happily lets cultures be destroyed in the name of the Prime Directive.  Picard has to have his arm twisted to save cultures from outside destruction.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2015, 08:16:04 pm »

Only 2 were within range that they might get to them before the damaged holodeck broke down.  Dr.  Crusher said there were "countless" type M in the Federation. 

As to the boots and "medieval civilization".  How do you know it medieval?  Just because their clothing is more like the medieval means nothing.  Why couldn't they have a material native to their world that would make creating the boots easy? 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2015, 08:55:16 pm »
Well rubber is from a tree and its not like the can just manipulated like skin to make boots.

Nothing indicate a industrial level or close to it. i don't know what you want to call it, but its kinda like medieval to me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »
What about their lights?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »
Magic ? I was thinking it was Worf's brother who give it to them. Since one of them who get out of the holodeck was not able to understand anything or was just unable to live with a secret and couldn't not live away from his peoples suggest that they are not advance enough to understand anything.

Well he seem a bit afraid and they have no transport or any government or leader in the village. That planet did not have cities of light, road or anything to say that it was advance.   

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »
Well rubber is from a tree and its not like the can just manipulated like skin to make boots.

Nothing indicate a industrial level or close to it. i don't know what you want to call it, but its kinda like medieval to me.

Native Americans were able to cure rubber by mixing it with other types of saps as early as 1600 bc.  By the time the Spanish arrived Aztecs were already wearing rubber sandals.  Just because Europeans didn't have something in their medieval period doesn't mean another culture might not develop it.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:32 pm »
Additionally there's nothing, unless there's some external source in play, within the episode to suggest they're wearing anything other than leather boots.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2015, 06:42:05 am »
Well he seem a bit afraid and they have no transport or any government or leader in the village. That planet did not have cities of light, road or anything to say that it was advance.

No evidence for that.  After days of storms bad enough to damage the Enterprise in orbit in spite of deflectors and requiring a force field (from Worfs brother) to protect them in the caves, signs from orbit of our society would be nil without high magnification which was not used. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:11 am »

One of my least favourite TNG episodes.  The way TNG twists the Prime Directive. 

Consider in All Our Yesterdays Kirk is sent to a pre warp planet that is about to be destroyed by a Nova to contact them and ferry as many of them as they can to safety.  In optimum situation that would be at most a few thousands assuming there was a nearby system less than 2 light months away where they could drop the overload of people only to relay them to a safe distance before the shock wave hit them there.  The goal of the Prime Directive is to PROTECT a developing culture.  This is why when Kirk interferes with Vaal, Landru, the Iotians an others he is not in violation.

TNG on the other hand happily lets cultures be destroyed in the name of the Prime Directive.  Picard has to have his arm twisted to save cultures from outside destruction.

That always made me wrinkle my nose too. In The Paradise Syndrome not only are they there to save a primitive culture from their oblivious destruction, Spock is willing to abandon the captain and nearly destroy the ship trying to help them. In Pen Pals, Picard pretty much indicates that a species must be aware of alien existence and  actually ask for help before he can even consider assistance. Of course, I suppose you could say that Kirk's "cowboy diplomacy" handling of these situations led to the more restrictive doctrine we see in TNG  ;).

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2015, 12:35:00 pm »
It would be one thing to strengthen the non interference but to eliminate the PROTECT aspect is ridiculous.  If the Romulans were wiping them out Picard would step in but because it is "nature" it becomes "sucks to be them we can't interfere".  But with the "Overseer" Picard was ready to "cowboy it" like Kirk to save his own people.  Inconsistent and stupid.