Topic: Planets  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
Planets
« on: January 31, 2016, 04:00:50 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:11:40 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Planets
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »
;D

Don't forget this post:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394439.0.html

It should help.

Yeah, I love those images, but I can't figure out how to place them in OP. The file names and amounts don't correspond to their OP counterparts. Any help would be appreiciated.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:55:58 pm »
Can't you just make a circular image of space dust or something that is just a little bigger than the planet model/image and then just overlay the two? Or am I thinking too simplistically?

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:12:13 pm »
Why don't you retexture an existing UPDATED planet model with the texture set you want?

For example. I have I, Mudd's Planet Earth model.

It's a nice model but I want more Strange NEW worlds.

So, I cut and pasted an old but awesome 3d temperate water planet texture set over I, Mudd's Planet Earth textures and left the atmosphere textures and model alone.

Voila, NEW planet.

I did the same thing for Planet Jupiter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:29:01 pm by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:42 am »
I remember working on a set of planets back in the day... sadly what kept me from finishing was a hard disk failure that wiped out all my work.  If you like I can walk ya through on a text program or something and pick out what is going on wrong. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:50:28 pm »
hmmm.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »

I'd really appreciate it. So far I am able to clone the second sphere, select  it, activate the flip normals panel, select all, return to the panel and flip, then I make the second sphere slightly larger about 102%, the issue is assigning the texture aspect. iMudd uses a seperate texture with a glow, if you take a look at one of his models you'll see, whenever I assign a new texture to the second sphere it effects the first.  :-\

Just from reading what you have here, you're flipping too much.
The bigger sphere needs to have inverted polies, while the smaller sphere, which sits inside the big sphere, need to be kept normal.

Oh, and all planetary bodies are pearl shaped rather than perfect spheres, which is why my spheres are slightly flattened. Thanks for noticing!

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:04 pm »
It's a nice model but I want more Strange NEW worlds.

What, two Planet Packs weren't enough to get you started?!

Third thread down.
Mudd's Models

:P

Mudd.

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:33 pm »
I detected no disrespect, it's all good ... Mod the hell out of them!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:49 pm »

I'd really appreciate it. So far I am able to clone the second sphere, select  it, activate the flip normals panel, select all, return to the panel and flip, then I make the second sphere slightly larger about 102%, the issue is assigning the texture aspect. iMudd uses a seperate texture with a glow, if you take a look at one of his models you'll see, whenever I assign a new texture to the second sphere it effects the first.  :-\

Just from reading what you have here, you're flipping too much.
The bigger sphere needs to have inverted polies, while the smaller sphere, which sits inside the big sphere, need to be kept normal.

Oh, and all planetary bodies are pearl shaped rather than perfect spheres, which is why my spheres are slightly flattened. Thanks for noticing!

LoL, never noticed that when you walked me through it the first time.

I'm thinking I'm noticing your problem there capt.  two possibilities occur to me.  The first could be that you are not using a separate/new channel to apply the air texture to the atmosphere sphere.  Say for example, channel 1 is your base texture, which should include any illum maps and other stuff you have on it.  Channel 2 should be your atmosphere w/ its own illum maps and stuff on it. 

The second possibility could be the clone tool is linking the two.  Try instead using a fixed size sphere for your planet and record the size you use.  instead of cloning it, create a second sphere of the same size and then scale that sphere up 102-105% (if you want, you can do that math ahead of time and just make your second sphere bigger to begin with).  then invert it and apply your textures.  That should ensure, as long as you are using seperate texture channels, that the two are in no way linked.

Let me know if that works!
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:51 pm »
looks like you have a clipping issue.  might try increasing the size of your atmosphere slightly
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
And i think i know why you are having assignment problems with the textures.  What you need to do after import is load the planet texture maps into the material editor and reapply.  after you do that, clone, increase size, invert and then apply in a different material slot the atmosphere texture.  I think that will stop the texture problem you are having where it switches out on you. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
 ;D

Just another example of the mileage we are getting out of the revised planet models we have...

Keep up the great work guys! MORE planet selection options is always a good thing!
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 11:56:52 am »
Yeah the more the merrier! There are literally around 100 or more planet slots in the game. Planet 9 in Fed space doesn't have to look just like planet 9 in Lyran space. It's easy to fool the shiplist.