Topic: We see you!  (Read 44942 times)

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
Re: We see you!
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »
Frankly it's not up to you to agree or disagree with us. If we as a community want something stickied, locked or deleted. As a mod, you should know this. You are supposed to handle disputes and help serve the community. You do not get to make the choices that the community has already asked for. The Modelling forum has several old outdated redundant threads. If you were really been a mod you would follow threads, prune stuff when its no longer valid. Help settle disputes.

Too many stickies make the forum unreadable so there has to be someone to keep things under control.  Secondly "we the community"?  one person ultimately will make a decision on making it a sticky unless you are doing a poll to see if it is the community that wants it and not just you.  No single person speaks for the community as we haven't elected such a spokesman.  And yes if multiple people are saying it needs to be stickied I'm more likely to do it though I've never refused yet. 

Point taken. I'm not claiming to be the voice of the community. Just one of the loudest right now, I'm not the only one asking for management to get their stuff together and take us all seriously... You can see people actively saying "back stuff up and leave" in this thread. But let me state this a member of the community is the community. What applies to one applies to all... Its exactly the reason laws/rules are made. If you work to the betterment of the individual, you work to the betterment of the group as a whole.

When the only active members have left a thread for years and its stickied and most if not all information is no longer valid. It does not need to be stickied any longer now does it?... So your reasoning of "clogging up the forum with sticked threads" is a very moot point to even bring up.

What about pruning stickied threads that are irrelevant? That haven't had a post in over 4 years?  If you were a moderator who got it you would ask if a stickied thread is needed anymore and handle it accordingly. What about double checking to see if links still work and removing them if they aren't? You do not do this on the modelling board do you?

Plus I don't see your name on the modelling board as moderator. I see a member who has not been active in years....  So spare me any reasoning and start showing some action.

Or if block/Ban/Warn and censor the people raising concerns to keep your own world happy and care free.
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
Link please?

http://www.hotandspicyforums.com/index.php

If we do move over there I would suggest that we start out in the "SFC News" forum.  I think we can branch out from there.  The "Hot and Spicy" sub-forum is all politics.  I hope this provides the solution that will make everyone happy and productive without any drama.  I'll let Pun know that we may have a influx of people from here.

And thank you FW for your kind words.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:22 pm »
Keep up the good work everyone, including Daviks, who after 10 years, finally made something of Q3! Keep up the good work if you are able. I'm sorry I let you down.

Yes, i was really happy with the idea of collaborate with you. I knew we could have done something good of the sprites.q3 file.
And i was really close to the point of giving up in the start when I hit some roadblocks. Fortunately everything went well. And you are right. I felt a great joy in producing the tools I made. And watching all here trying to contribute with what they had, made me wish to continue.
So in the end we were able to achieve even more things. What is great.
Its easy to get frustrated when we feel we could have done more.
But I understand the complexity of what you have done, and the happiness you felt after that effort.
In the end, my wish was only to see this community keep going, and not stop.
SFC can't really compete with all the fancy games produced these days. But SFC is something different. I see it involving to tablets or phone devices, touch screens, I dunno. Even a campaign makes sense to me in a world like ours today. Were people just play some minutes when they have a break, or are waiting for something.
I did played SFC CE in my tablet and I really enjoyed the idea of login and play a mission on a multiplayer campaign. Was just that.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 11:18:59 pm »
Plus I don't see your name on the modelling board as moderator. I see a member who has not been active in years....  So spare me any reasoning and start showing some action.

Global Moderators can moderate any forum.  I normally stay out of the modeling forum as I totally lack the artistic talent to contribute (and envy those who have it) but can moderate there if an issue is brought to my attention.  I also have a low bandwidth cap which is another reason to stay out of an image intensive forum. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 03:19:33 am »
Javora, you are welcome. Thanks for the link, will sign up in a bit.

Global Moderators can moderate any forum.  I normally stay out of the modeling forum as I totally lack the artistic talent to contribute (and envy those who have it) but can moderate there if an issue is brought to my attention.  I also have a low bandwidth cap which is another reason to stay out of an image intensive forum. 

Nemesis dude, Your helping to prove my point. Sections of this forum are completely unmoderated. (unless you count a mysterious force who once in a blue moon who edits size of images and the "correct" way to post links) If your not checking the threads you won't see where people are saying that stuff needs dealing with. 

You admit you actively avoid a section of the forum because of bandwidth issues.... So you will never see any disagreements there, you will not see the posts asking for threads to be locked, you will not see posts saying this is totally out of date.

The Management always said that we should self manage... How can we do that when we aren't given the tools to do so?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 01:15:50 pm »
All you need to do is report the issue and a moderator will look into it.  Moderators cannot read every single thread and don't.  We do respond to reports of problems.  Giving everyone the ability to sticky/unsticky or lock/unlock threads would make things worse.  Consider flame wars with full Moderator authority on all sides. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »
All you need to do is report the issue and a moderator will look into it.  Moderators cannot read every single thread and don't.  We do respond to reports of problems.  Giving everyone the ability to sticky/unsticky or lock/unlock threads would make things worse.  Consider flame wars with full Moderator authority on all sides. 

Firstly As a moderator, you should at least glance at every thread for if anything to mark them as read.... Second you will pick up the jist of something and catch the rare requests that people place to have something locked/stickied
Also conside3ring there are like a total of 10-15 new post a day that's nothing! it takes a few minutes if anything to read anything new. Stop been lazy!

Second I never accused anyone of ignoring things that are reported. Don't put words in my mouth.

Thirdly I never said give everyone the ability to sticky or lock threads. I said if moderators gave a damn they would see the requests and act accordingly.

If you are the best example of a moderator then hang it up as nothing you have said has been of any help to this discussion... It's  about something more than moderators doing their damn jobs.

It's about Management ignoring the community and letting everything stagnate because they are too lazy.
Go do something productive instead of making this thread about you.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »
You know, if you people are going to leave just shut up and do it already. There's no need to piss all over the place just because you have a dispute with certain parties here. The fact is that this place has been provided to you FREE OF CHARGE for years. If you can't even respect that on your way out then at least don't try to burn things down just because you're not getting enough attention.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »
When a service provider has failed to meet our expectations, we can choose another service provider. I am doing that presently.

Fallen Warrior, I believe you are wasting your energy. But it is your energy to allocate as you see fit, of course. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »
I do find it amusing that you expect the Moderators to read everything as if we were full time paid pros.  I also find it amusing that you think that things will be better in Punishers "unmoderated" forums than here where you want more moderation.  Seems like a conflict. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:03 pm »
When a service provider has failed to meet our expectations, we can choose another service provider. I am doing that presently.

I personally try to avoid anything with the term "dumb sh*t" in the title, but it's your choice to make.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »
Somebody PM me and tell me what the heck I missed?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:33 pm »
Do you feel Dynaverse is fulfilling its own DGA?

"The Dynaverse Gaming Association© is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to preserving and enhancing the Starfleet Command™ Community. (...) the DGA’s primary purpose is to allow the continued development of the online experience that is Starfleet Command™ while at the same time protecting the Starfleet Command™ community from “pay to play” concepts long after Taldren ceases to be."

1. Is there any online experience?
2. Is CE being perserved and enhanced, or under continued developement?
3. Does Dynaverse encourages it own goals?
4. If CE given for free? Or you have to pay to download and play it?
5. Can you download a server or write missions to CE?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2016, 01:58:47 pm »
(...)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2016, 03:48:32 pm »
! No longer available

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2016, 03:50:12 pm »
Does this list of people constitute a board of directors for the DGA?
Quote from: DGA
Comprised of well known and long standing respected individuals from the Starfleet Command™ community, the DGA’s Board of Directors oversees the operation of the DGA. The Board of Directors primary goal is to provide a reliable, resourceful and respected gaming experience here on Dynaverse.Net©. To that end, the DGA meets regularly to address and discuss issues regarding the continued growth of the Starfleet Command™ community and the leadership found at Dynaverse.Net

Frey "FA_Frey_XC" Petermeier
Michael "F9th Braxton XC" Erb
Ashley Fernandes

Mr. Erb has not been online in 7 years. The treasurer, Ms Fernandes, made exactly one post 7 years ago.

Is the DGA complying with its own standards?

Perhaps we, the players, the creators, and the maintainers have nothing to worry about. Perhaps we don't understand the difficulties of managing Taldren's gift. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »
The dynamics of the situation were explained to you at length in PMs. If you decide not to take the only avenue available to you that has a glimmer of a chance of succeeding, then don't take it out on the community. You were given the tools and instructions on how to speak to Frey in person and you choose instead to beat up on poor Strat. And yes this is a business and not a hobby and there are things you do not know that others are not allowed to talk about, so again, take your fight to Frey. I don't care and don't want to hear about how he blew you off or skipped a meeting. He does it to everyone. Get used to it if you want to deal with the person that can give you what you claim you want. It took me two over friggin' months just to get you the chance you just blew so don't talk to me about wasting time.

Now I completely agree with all of your gripes about the way this place has fallen into ruin and I have spoken directly to Frey about it. There are reasons that we can't get more admins here right now, but new moderators are not out of the question. This is low on Frey's priority list right now and since there aren't any more admins around... I'm sorry about that. There is one more thing I might try there, but honestly, why should I? You've all shown your mercenary streak at one point or another. I don't feel obligated to do a damn thing.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Really Corbomite? You label us mercenaries?

Quote from: Dictionary
A mercenary is a person who fights for personal gains of money or other recompense instead of fighting for the ideological interests of a country.

The HD patch is not $6. The SFC_Editor is not $6. The Q3_Editor is not $6. The Gamespy-fix for the server is not $6. These idealistic assets promote the growth of the otherwise stagnant SFC experience. And we are the bad guys because we didn't follow instructions about how to talk to Frey? I don't need instructions to speak with a vice-president. I do need instructions perhaps, to speak with an unopposed magistrate.

I won't take further bait. And I wish Dynaverse.net good luck. Pehaps it will now thrive without mercenaries.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2016, 05:00:49 pm »
Strat has nothing to do with this.
The only issue I had with him was related with the q3 documentation, when he committed  to help me.
That issue ended in the moment he posted in this topic.
About Frey, he also committed to help. That is all I know about him.
On the post above I wrote about dynaverse as an organization. Was not targetting anyone in special.
We barely know each others.
In the end in I'm just a guy that did some sh*ts in SFC, like many before me, with zero feedback from an organization that was build for that purpose.
That happens all the time in our world.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »
It's always mercenary to take your ball and go home or refuse to listen when others may disagree with you. Or was I supposed to take your and Carlos' complete refusal to answer my PMs after awhile as an indication that I was a valuable part of the team? Oh, that's right, it was just after I disagreed with you about plasma. Must have been a coincidence.

Nothing will stop you from doing what you have been doing so far. You managed some amazing things. You claimed you wanted access to the source code. Despite what you feel, the person you need to get to notice is notoriously hard to impress. I empathize. Instead of playing it cool, you decided to piss gasoline and light a match. This is nothing new. I've seen this too many times to care anymore.

Oh, yeah, and when you tell people to trust you, yet twice surreptitiously place your own phaser modification in a "patch" without telling people that basically tells me what you think of others' play enjoyment and the over importance of your own ideas to you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:24:04 pm by Corbomite »