Topic: New Klingon ship: The D5 Battlecruiser  (Read 29498 times)

Maxillius

Re: New Klingon ship: The D5 Battlecruiser
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2003, 11:16:12 am »
The K'tinga in SFC3 is a CL, a heavy DD at least, but in SFC1,2 and OP it is a full-grown Battlecruiser.  So, by such logic, considering the Klingons use their hulls a LOT longer than anyone else, the brand-new D5 battlecruiser in Enterprise would very likely be a CL or more approprately, CW, by the time of the SFC series.

I'm curious as to why the K'tinga in SFC3 is a D8 in the description screen... perhaps because there was no D8 before?  Anyhow, that D5 looked more like an F5 to me (with a few differences), and they possibly just switched designations on later refits.

sjvessey

Shock horror Star Trek torpedoes are ridiculously underpowered
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2003, 11:53:02 am »
Oh noooo... sorry but it just makes me laugh... all this talk of weapons and their effectiveness against bare hulls.  You know, a late 20th century hydrogen bomb containing a few kilos of the relevant matter (various hydrogen compounds, some tritium and a plutonium initiator) creates a 50 megaton explosion that utterly destroys anything within a few miles of the epicentre of the explosion.  A nuclear-tipped missile detonating against the bare hull of a starship would literally vaporise it instantaneously.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but 'photon torpedoes' are supposed to contain antimatter.  Your typical everyday fusion explosion converts 4 percent of the available matter to energy, whereas with antimatter the efficiency is 100 percent.  In simple terms this means that an antimatter explosion is approximately 25 times more powerful.

So how come when photon torpedoes detonate you get an explosion that looks about the same intensity as a 2000lb JDAM bomb full of C4 going off, instead of a gigaton blast wave that destroys everything within 100 miles?

Utterly ridiculous.

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 11:53:42 am »
Anybody have a screenshot of the ship (I missed the episode   )

The K't'inga is a CL

It goes:

B'rel (FF)
K'vort (DD)
K't'inga (CL)
Fehk'lrh (CA)
Vor'cha (BCH)
Negh'var (DN)

The K't'inga was a CA (or, more specifically, the D6 or 7 was a CA the D7W K't'inga class was more advanced)
Now it is a CL (A complete drop in class)

The D-5 is probably the same class as the D7W
It was dropped to a CL

The reason a D5 isn't in SFC3 is because the K'Vort is much more manuverable (something deperatly needed for a DD)

Tremok

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2003, 02:04:05 pm »
Quote:

The K'tinga in SFC3 is a CL, a heavy DD at least, but in SFC1,2 and OP it is a full-grown Battlecruiser.  So, by such logic, considering the Klingons use their hulls a LOT longer than anyone else, the brand-new D5 battlecruiser in Enterprise would very likely be a CL or more approprately, CW, by the time of the SFC series.

I'm curious as to why the K'tinga in SFC3 is a D8 in the description screen... perhaps because there was no D8 before?  Anyhow, that D5 looked more like an F5 to me (with a few differences), and they possibly just switched designations on later refits.  

In Enterprise the K'tinga is suppose to be a brand new ship, while the the D5 is old and worn out.    

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2003, 10:03:46 pm »

JOLLYROGER

Re: Shock horror Star Trek torpedoes are ridiculously underpowered
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2003, 10:33:00 pm »
I usually don't post on this forum, but I must answer to this RE:

It's called future technology. Technology this strong because it SCIFI.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2003, 01:49:43 am »
I just have to say how rediculous it is for anyone to gauge Trek episodes off of a game. The two are light years appart from each other. To the writers of Enterprise, SFB, SFC and this little forum don't matter, heck they don't even exist. The line of reason goes the OTHER way folks. The game is based on the SHOW, not the other way around. Any analogy between this game and the latest episode of Trek are totally coincidental. In canon Trek, there is no such thing as a "Phaser 3" on a starship, or a "Gattling Phaser" or even "Hydrans".

The D-5 was mentioned in DS9, but I don't think it's the same D-5 class from Enterprise.

Easter Eggs in last night's episode:

Weapons Officer Duras. Obviously an ancestor of the warrior Duras, and the Duras sisters, Lursa and Be'tor. Will reprise his role in season finale 'The Expanse' in late May.

Klingon arbitrator Kolos played by J.G. Hertzler (best Klingon actor of all time, see poll below) He has played the Hirogen Hunter in Voyager, Vulcan Captain in TNG "Emissary: Part 1" and  "Laas" in DS9 "Chimera" as well as playing Martok in 17 episodes of Trek. An incredible actor, he has also been on "Everybody Loves Raymond", "Touched by an Angel", "Roswell", "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch", "Charmed", "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman", "Diagnosis Murder", "Adventures of Brisco County Jr.", "Highlander" and "Quantum Leap". There is none higher...

D-5 ship named  "BortaS" (same as Gowron's flagship. Word "BortaS" in Klingon means "revenge" Worf served as weapons officer aboard the BortaS for a time)

Entire courtroom set, complete with judges gavel, Klingon wall banner and lifetime sentence to Rura Penthe. Straight out of Star Trek VI. Very poor work, lack of imagination.

John Vickery, who plays Orak the Klingon prosecutor, appeared as a Cardassian Gul in DS9

Raw Targ served nightly in Klingon prison... I thought that was a delicasy?

Klingon Blood Wine... I've tasted it, have you? Great stuff!

This episode wins my personal award for...

WORST PLOT HOLE IN HISTORY

It's not how Archer was apprehended...

It's not why Starfleet has no say in what happens to him, or why nobody even contacts them...

It's not that the Klingons pay more attention to Archer's career than Starfleet...

It's not Those things... Ok, yes it is.

J.G. Hertzler = Greatest Klingon actor ever to grace the screen.... here's proof:

Poll at StarTRek.com:

Who is your favorite Klingon actor?

Kor - 4.60% (41)    <-------------John Colicos, RIP.... My favorite until Martok.
Koloth - 1.91% (17)
Kang - 5.16% (46)
Mara - 2.13% (19) <------------------WTF?
Kahless - 6.73% (60) <--------------------------Little kids vote here.
Kruge - 2.13% (19) <-----------Should have been more.
Gorkon - 2.80% (25)
Chang - 8.86% (79) <-------------Should have been less.
Korris - 0.34% (3)
Kurn - 2.13% (19) <--------- Great Klingon, not enough screen time. Sorry Kurn...
K'mpec - 1.57% (14)
Duras - 1.46% (13)
Gowron - 9.75% (87)  <--------Fools and traitors of the Empire vote here.
Lursa & B'Etor - 9.42% (84)
Martok - 38.34% (342)   <--------------------- J.G Hertzler. The numbers speak for themselves.
Klaang - 2.69% (24)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain KoraH »

Scipio_66

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2003, 02:03:49 am »
Quote:

Originally posted by Korah

Poll at StarTRek.com:

Who is your favorite Klingon actor?

Kahless - 6.73% (60) <--------------------------Little kids vote here.

Who are they voting for here?  The *real* Kahless from ST:TOS  (With the dark complexion and the smooth forehead)?  Or the Kahless clone with the turtle-head from STTNG?

<pointless banter>  Oh yes, and this thread proves how we were "saved" by the move from SFC2 to SFC3;  since no one will ever argue about ST canon but everyone argues about SFB.  <snicker>

-S'Cipio  

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2003, 02:17:23 am »
Quote:

Kruge - 2.13% (19) <-----------Should have been more.

I agree with ya here, Christopher Lloyd Defined the new Klingons!  

Apocolypse

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2003, 10:10:13 am »
  Yeah, i third that one.  

Cozbo

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2003, 02:53:31 pm »
Didn't see the show but  posting to your thoughts on why a D5 didn't blow up the NX-01

Well, I guess the reason the NX-01 was able to survive is the same reason I win many battles against superior ships and fleets in D3: Captain Error.

When I play a player that is 1)Inexperienced or 2)Unfamiliar with the capablities of his ship or 3)Over confident or 4) Using the wrong tactics or 5) Timid or 6) Too aggressive or 7)A combination of all,  it doesn't matter if they have 2 class sizes better than me they will lose.

Incompentence comes in all sizes and shapes.

Tulmahk

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2003, 07:40:29 pm »
Why didn't the D5's shots destroy Enterprise right away?

#1:  Their AV was too high!
#2:  Mayweather can Evasive Maneuvers like nobody's business!  

Maxillius

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2003, 07:22:41 am »
BortaS wasn't trying to destroy Enterprise, she was trying to disable her enough to board and take the refugees, possibly even scout/take the ship.

ChamadaIV

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2003, 08:23:09 pm »
Quote:

Why didn't the D5's shots destroy Enterprise right away?

#1:  Their AV was too high!
#2:  Mayweather can Evasive Maneuvers like nobody's business!  

Heh, but #2 is invalid as it was clearly shown that Enterprise was hit several times. So much for EM tactics...

I guess those disruptors were half the power of the weakest disruptors available in SFC. Or it was distance factor (the power from the shots dissapated as they traveled towards NX-01), OR it was the writers who cared more about the story and less about the technology and decided it was prudent to show that the ship survived the incident so that they could rescue Archer and still have a ship to carry the show on with (it's no good to destroy your starring ship and cast...hey wait, didn't NBC destroy the seaQuest a couple of times and still had a show going?).

Heh, that's what they should do: destroy the ship. The NCC-1701 went down in ST III, the 1701-C was blown away by Romulans, 1701-D went down after the Nexus incident, and the 1701-E got beat up real bad in ST Nemesis. It's a tradition of mayhem and destruction on the BigE. But just because you kill the ship doesn't mean the crew has to die either. At least this will give Paramount an excuse to give Archer a better ship that could withstand shots from a D5 more believably.  

La'ra

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2003, 03:07:06 pm »
Quote:

In Enterprise the K'tinga is suppose to be a brand new ship, while the the D5 is old and worn out.    

Assuming that the battlecruiser in 'Unexpected' was a K'tinga class is rather silly.  We've seen that the Klingons tend to stick with the same hull designs, so it's likely an older, smaller, ancestor of the D7's and the K'tinga-class.  

Tremok

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2003, 03:50:31 pm »

Assuming that the battlecruiser in 'Unexpected' was a K'tinga class is rather silly.  We've seen that the Klingons tend to stick with the same hull designs, so it's likely an older, smaller, ancestor of the D7's and the K'tinga-class.  

Nitpicky aren't you? Did you actually believe when I said K'tinga I was talking about the D-7 type seen in The Undiscovered Country? If so, I offer you many my pardons for my typographical errors.

I'll try to remember to call it the D-7 type for now on.  

La'ra

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2003, 03:55:19 pm »

Quote:

Nitpicky aren't you?

When it comes to ships, RL or sci-fi, I am.  Very much so, in fact.

Quote:

Did you actually believe when I said K'tinga I was talking about the D-7 type seen in The Undiscovered Country? If so, I offer you many my pardons for my typographical errors.

If you had meant that, you certainly wouldn't have been the first.  

Tulmahk

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2003, 07:47:23 pm »
Quote:

Heh, but #2 is invalid as it was clearly shown that Enterprise was hit several times. So much for EM tactics...

As you know, EM doesn't only make the ship harder to hit, but reduces the damage done when it does get hit (just like AV).  

Tremok

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2003, 09:34:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Nitpicky aren't you?

Quote:

Did you actually believe when I said K'tinga I was talking about the D-7 type seen in The Undiscovered Country? If so, I offer you many my pardons for my typographical errors.

Well, rest assured, it was a simple typograpical error. You see, in my mind, the K'tinga is the generic name for all type D7s, and sometimes my hands just type out that name (K'tinga) without actually thinking what D7 type variant it is.      

jimmi7769

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2003, 09:54:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nitpicky aren't you?

Quote:

Well, rest assured, it was a simple typograpical error. You see, in my mind, the K'tinga is the generic name for all type D7s, and sometimes my hands just type out that name (K'tinga) without actually thinking what D7 type variant it is.      

D7 is Klodode class.  K'tinga is not a D7.  Just like an Enterprise class is not a Constitution class, though they look similar.