Topic: OP+ corrections thread  (Read 64968 times)

NannerSlug

Re: OP+ corrections thread
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2003, 05:52:04 pm »
1) f-LTV Phaser arcs?

2) what are these things? CAH, CAM , BCP, BCS, CMC, MS, (there are a few more.. )

inquiring minds would love to know.. your probably uber busy anyhow.

Cleaven

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2003, 07:13:40 pm »
Just a question, without implying that OP+ should have this change, but is there any plan to reduce the power requirements for cloak. This may make the BPV of the Romulan ships more appropriate in that the cloak they pay for can actually be used. I don't wish to predict how it will be used, just that it can be. Otherwise you could think about reducing the 10% cloak tax and leave the stats as they are.  

FireSoul

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2003, 07:31:51 pm »
No. I won't be doing any changes to cloak. That's similar to the changes to the fighters I had planned and is not wanted by a lot of people.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2003, 07:33:40 pm »
Quote:

1) f-LTV Phaser arcs?

2) what are these things? CAH, CAM , BCP, BCS, CMC, MS, (there are a few more.. )

inquiring minds would love to know.. your probably uber busy anyhow.

CAH? dunno.
CAM? dunno.
BCP: what race's?
BCS: Battle Control Ship. Normally a ship with about 6 fighters and 6 PFs on a BCH hull.
CMC: dunno.
MS: MineSweeper.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2003, 06:00:37 pm »
Quote:

Romulan KRs (KR, KRB, KRM) should probably be classed as LIGHT_CRUISER, since they are D6 conversions, not D7 conversions. Those are the K7s and KRC/KRCS. The most obvious difference is the number of phasers.  

The D6 should be considered a Heavy Cruiser just like its pointy-eared cousin, the KR. Ships with 30 warp can hardly be classed as Light Cruisers (which almost always have 24 warp).

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2003, 07:02:47 pm »
Quote:

The D6 should be considered a Heavy Cruiser just like its pointy-eared cousin, the KR. Ships with 30 warp can hardly be classed as Light Cruisers (which almost always have 24 warp).  

I've often wondered how that is the way it is. If you look in the shiplist in game, it says heavy cruiser, but on the shiplist.txt it's light cruiser. I'm assuming that it's a mistake. Or perhaps Taldren thought the best way to insert some balance was to downgrade them? Considering that there is nothing like the F&E klink reserve fleet (with 24 D6's in it alone) in SFC perhaps this was a D2 balance move (and insures that there are 50x too many D6D's, lol).

At any rate, on to my real question: Are you keeping a master errata file for SFC Tar? I've got a shiplist project that I'm considering, and I just don't have all the SSD's that I need. The first thing I'd like to do is chuck the mistakes but I don't know where they all are.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2003, 08:57:46 pm »
I don't have a master errata file. All the errors that I could find (by examining SSD's for uncounted hours) were fixed ship by ship over a long while in the 5.10 Shipwrights Shiplist. There are a few tweaks that cause the stats to vary from SFB (i.e. G-racks, Security, Aft Hull, Shuttlebay). I suppose one could do a Comparator.exe of the 5.10 SW specs with Taldren's 2.036. I've done that for the 5.01 SW specs here.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2003, 09:12:33 pm »
My Gorn heritage tempts me to remain quiet on these errors  My trusty G-CC has two Ph-3's that it really shouldn't have. The G-CC is the only CC in the galaxy that has the same firepower as its base CA! The CCF compounds this error by applying the "F-refit"(+2 Plas-F and +2 wing Ph-3's) to these Ph-3's. The CCF should really have 2 Ph3, not 4. The CCF is an excellent ship with all that phaser padding, but it is an error that warrants fixing.  

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2003, 10:13:00 pm »
I guess my point is: If I were to use either of these lists for source data, it would have these problems corrected, right? I have most SSD's for Lyrans, Klingons, and Hydrans. Other races though I have limited data, so I'd want to be sure that everything was right.

IndyShark

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2003, 10:34:45 pm »
Firesoul, I was playing on Techwars tonight and I noticed two ships that seemed to have too few marines. I ran into a F-DE that had 4 marines and a F-CVLT+ that had only 2. Strangely enough I drafted another F-DE and she had 8 marines.

I don't know if this is an error or just a game quirk.

FireSoul

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2003, 10:36:36 pm »
Wouldn't doing changes like those HEAVY_CRUISER -> LIGHT_CRUISER adjustments change the feel of the game? ..
.. I don't think it's a good idea to do it jsut because it doesn't 'feel right'. I want to do it because it's a correction.

ie:
.. H-CHC, H-CHA were changed to their correct status.

On that note, ships that I added myself are my call, I guess. .. so those I am more willing to change if it's needed.
-- Luc

TarMinyatur

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2003, 12:03:25 am »
Regarding ship classes:

Taldren had the F5 listed as a "Frigate" yet the F5B was listed as a "Destroyer". The D5 was listed as a "War Destroyer", which we know is BS. The KCR was amazingly listed as an ordinary "Heavy Cruiser" yet the weakling Firehawk-A was deemed a "Heavy Battlecruiser". I think it is safe to say that Taldren was not too concerned about things making sense with regards to this shiplist entry. Not surprisingly, "War Cruiser" isn't even an option.

I suggest you consider using movement costs to decide Ship Class (.33 = FF, .5 = DD, .67 or .75 = CL, 1 = CA, 1.25 to 1.5 = DN, 2 = BB).  BCH status is pretty clear. DD vs DW can be a bit tricky though. NCA vs CA is pretty straight forward.

FireSoul

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2003, 12:17:12 am »
Ok, so where does the I-CPF fall into?

.. btw, most of THOSE corrections I have already done in 2.1c

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2003, 12:32:41 am »
Quote:

Regarding ship classes:

Taldren had the F5 listed as a "Frigate" yet the F5B was listed as a "Destroyer". The D5 was listed as a "War Destroyer", which we know is BS. The KCR was amazingly listed as an ordinary "Heavy Cruiser" yet the weakling Firehawk-A was deemed a "Heavy Battlecruiser". I think it is safe to say that Taldren was not too concerned about things making sense with regards to this shiplist entry. Not surprisingly, "War Cruiser" isn't even an option.

I suggest you consider using movement costs to decide Ship Class (.33 = FF, .5 = DD, .67 or .75 = CL, 1 = CA, 1.25 to 1.5 = DN, 2 = BB).  BCH status is pretty clear. DD vs DW can be a bit tricky though. NCA vs CA is pretty straight forward.  

With exception to romulans. Romulans are...different.

I was wondering, we have basically a conversion effort from SFB to SFC using the taldren "style" here. Perhaps we could also do the fighterlist as well?

FireSoul

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2003, 01:29:23 am »
After the whole 2/3rds fighters idea, I decided OP+ would not necessarily be 100% SFB accurate..
.. for that, I encourage a separate project be spawned.

-- Luc

Cleaven

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2003, 02:49:57 am »
Probably the best way to handle the more contentious changes like fighters and cloaks.

(And I like the EAW Shipwrights list a lot too, but I'm stuck on OP now.)

jimmi7769

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2003, 08:18:38 am »
Quote:

Ok, so where does the I-CPF fall into?

.. btw, most of THOSE corrections I have already done in 2.1c  

the I-CPF is based on the light cruiser hull isn't it??

jdmckinney

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2003, 09:01:32 am »
The I-CPF is a CL hull. It only carries a couple phasers. It and the CPFW (adds Ph3s) should be classed as LIGHT_CRUISER. Nobody will ever buy this ship at even that pricing bracket, but it is better than NCA.

As for the D6/KR issue, the class changes only affect price and availability on the D2. Such changes would not alter the BPV matchups or effectiveness of the ships. The D6 is worse than a D5, yet it costs more if it is considered a CA. It may have more warp, but it has CL shields and weapons. Until D5s come out, the D6 class is the only CL the Klingons have. More warp + 1.0 move cost pretty much equal a ship with less warp and a .67 move cost. I think the D6-based ships are reasonable to consider CLs.

Concerning shiplist corrections, if I've read FS right in past posts, he has only fixed those ship errors that he has come across or had brought to his attention. It is entirely possible (even probable) that there are errors he has not identified yet. I've been working on a straight reworking of the default shiplist to SFB specs, but it takes me a long time to do because I'm checking every single ship against the SSDs. That's the difference between having a shiplist to play and having one that's still unreleased.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2003, 11:05:49 am »
Quote:

The I-CPF is a CL hull. It only carries a couple phasers. It and the CPFW (adds Ph3s) should be classed as LIGHT_CRUISER. Nobody will ever buy this ship at even that pricing bracket, but it is better than NCA.

As for the D6/KR issue, the class changes only affect price and availability on the D2. Such changes would not alter the BPV matchups or effectiveness of the ships. The D6 is worse than a D5, yet it costs more if it is considered a CA. It may have more warp, but it has CL shields and weapons. Until D5s come out, the D6 class is the only CL the Klingons have. More warp + 1.0 move cost pretty much equal a ship with less warp and a .67 move cost. I think the D6-based ships are reasonable to consider CLs.

Concerning shiplist corrections, if I've read FS right in past posts, he has only fixed those ship errors that he has come across or had brought to his attention. It is entirely possible (even probable) that there are errors he has not identified yet. I've been working on a straight reworking of the default shiplist to SFB specs, but it takes me a long time to do because I'm checking every single ship against the SSDs. That's the difference between having a shiplist to play and having one that's still unreleased.  

See,  I don't buy the argument that a D6 is a light cruiser. It's a heavy cruiser. It's even listed as one. It's just a crappy heavy cruiser. Compare this:
Designation: K-D6B
BPV: 128
Crew: 43
Marines: 14
Shield 1: 30
Shield 2 & 6: 22
Shield 3 & 5: 22
Shield 4: 22
Total Shields: 140

Movement Cost: 1
Turn Mode: B
Total Warp Power: 30
Impulse Power: 5
Aux Power: 2
Total Engine Power: 35
Battery: 3

Transporters: 5
Tractors: 3
Mech Tractors:
Shuttles: 2
Fighters:

4x Disruptor 3
2x Missle Rack A
7x Phaser 2
1x ADD 6

With:
Designation: K-D5
BPV: 110
Crew: 39
Marines: 8
Shield 1: 30
Shield 2 & 6: 26
Shield 3 & 5: 26
Shield 4: 26
Total Shields: 160

Movement Cost: 0.67
Turn Mode: B
Total Warp Power: 24
Impulse Power: 5
Aux Power: 2
Total Engine Power: 29
Battery: 3

Transporters: 3
Tractors: 3
Mech Tractors:
Shuttles: 2
Fighters:

4x Disruptor 3
2x Missle Rack A
2x Phaser 1
2x Phaser 2
4x Phaser 3
2x AMD 12

These are the 2 variants available at the same time, the D6B in 2265 and the D5 available in 2268. In comparison, the D6 has more phasers (though all are ph-2),  more transporters, and (something that people generally don't consider), more internals (76 on the D5, 81 on the D6 by my quick count). The last means it's takes enemy fire better than the D5. It's true that they have the same shielding. It's also true that so does the D7 - the D6 and D7 have the same amount of shielding. Again, CA level stuff. Comparing the D6 to D7 again, the power plant on the D7 has only 2 more points of aux power as well, and it has 2 more ph-2. As for the argument that the klingons don't have a CL then, MANY races don't have a CL. Hydrans for instance don't get a CL of any type until 2268 with the horseman. The D6 is a CA and should be treated as one.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The_Infiltrator »

jdmckinney

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2003, 01:58:43 pm »
Some very good points there. Note the D6 has LESS shielding than the D5, and a worse power curve. Actually, most players would take a D5 over a D7. The D5 is a war cruiser, so really the Klingons, as with other races, skip CLs altogether. They don't actually have ANY. Upon examination of your arguments, and looking at the Hydrans as a common foe with similar ship production, the D6s are like unrefitted DGs -- poor cruisers that are best used as hulls to build variants from. Still, for pricing and availability, I would rather see a D6 model in the CL class on the D2. That's certainly up to the admin running a campaign, so it need not be addressed in a common shiplist. However, D6s and KRs should be classed the same, whichever way is chosen.

This is exactly why I like these threads -- people can discuss things and find common ground or improvements without getting into a flamefest.