Topic: Idea for WillardDcker  (Read 9518 times)

Kaenyne

Idea for WillardDcker
« on: August 08, 2003, 02:34:15 pm »
Hey WillardDcker:

Don'r want to take up too much of your modeling time but I had an idea this morning:

As you are putting up a website for your models, creating more Enterprise Class variants, etc. I thought this was something you could keep in the back of your mind for a future project.

I am a sucker for the Enterprise Class and all of your versions. But I have never seen a "Romulanized" version. Probably because most folks would think it is a bad idea.

However, I think that a modeler of your calibur could pull it off splendidly.

What I see is recolored parts as you did for Khambatta in a green hue, with the TNG style Romulan Empire symbol replacing the Starfleet emblems, green navigational deflector and nacelle glows, etc.

You may be groaning by now, but I think this would make a hauntingly beautful starship and a unique addition to your modeling resume.  Just something to think about.

Comments anyone?  

Captain Ron

Re: Idea for WillardDcker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 09:55:51 pm »
Actually that would not be to hard to do yourself to the current textures. Changing the colour on a current texture is much easier that creating your own. I do that all the time but most of it is never released as i am pretty much doing it to see if I can and if it looks cool or not.

WillardDcker actually makes really clear textures which makes the job much easier to do.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 12:40:02 am »
Actually.....I'd like to see Will's idea of what the Klingon ships look like in the mirror universe..as some of the other races....

Would they look more "fed' like?

Captain Ron

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 01:56:14 am »
Made a quick set to give an idea of what it may look like and sent it to you Kaenyne

Captain Ron

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 12:30:51 pm »
Kaenyne,
Check your E-Mail you have posted in your profile. I sent you a rom version of the Kambatta with no registries or making yet. I will probably add the romulan markings but not the registries. I also have to do the impulse dome I just noticed I left it blue and not the green it should be.

Let me know what you think of her

Kaenyne

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 12:30:52 pm »
Hey Captain Ron!

Thanks for going out of youe way to show me your ideas.

Unfortunately, I did not receive your email. If you sent it to my hotmail, it may have been automatically deleted (It has filters on it).

I could switch them off for awhile or perhaps you could post a pic on this thread...

But thanks again. That was very cool of you!

Kaenyne  

Captain Ron

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 12:32:33 pm »
LOL,

Let me know if this one makes it if not I can send it to a different address.
It is from gotafarmyet for my hotmail account

Don't currently have a way to post pics so the file is the best that I can do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain Ron »

Kaenyne

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 01:00:03 pm »
Well, it hasn't shown p yet, evven with the fileters down.

Try thius address: furkindred@yahoo.ca  

Captain Ron

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 03:53:28 pm »
Sorry was out getting ready for tonights football game, it is on the way to the yahoo account now.

Captain Ron

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 08:31:20 pm »
Did it make it?

Captain Ron

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 05:29:03 am »
Also added a update to it now found a deflector very close to this one so I added it

Haven't played with it much as with out the layers it took to make it it will be hard to change the colours.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 05:47:25 am »
Hello Willard Decker
  Have you considered this variant of the Constitution class?

I think it would be neat to have this version included also  

Kaenyne

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 03:30:05 pm »
Hey Captain Ron:

I got both your emails today. Thanks!

I can see the jpegs of the textures.

Looking really cool...

As I'm ignorant of modeling, are either of them playable in SFC2?

Captain Ron

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 07:22:47 pm »
Yes they will work in SFC 2 and SFC:OP

I did not send the *.mod file as it made the file to big. The Jpegs have to be converted to bmps in order for the mod file to see them in SFC 2 or OP. So you will have to down load the kambatta or his enterprise model and convert the textures to make it work.

They work fine as I use them in OP

Kaenyne

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 08:20:59 am »
Well, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but your instructions are kinda beyond me. The only way I have changed out models was by adding the model to the ships already in the game and then going through Shipedit and choosing the new model for the stock ship.

This sounds like something more in depth. And as I'm a little paranoid about messing up my game, could you write a "Dummy's Guide" (i.e. step-by-step procedure) for turning Willarddcker's Khambatta into your Romulanized versions?

Soory to be such a pain, but this stuff is like a foreign language to me.

Thanks in advance!
Kaenyne  

Captain Ron

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2003, 11:50:48 am »
Actually it is easier than you think.

I sent a RCA2 and a LCA to you last night all you need to do is get the FCA.mod file from the Kambatta and copy it into the their directories to make them work.

Lets start with these guys first as they will be the easiest to do.
  • go to the place you want to unzip them to and create a directory for each of them
  • Unzip them into those directories
  • Unzip the ltmaps into those directories (this step is not needed if I resend the files)
  • Go to were you have Wil Deckers Kambatta mod and right click on the FCA.mod file select copy
  • Paste it into each of those directories you created for the ships
  • These guys are now ready to be added to the game

If you want I can send you the files with the light maps already in them for these to guys, but the FCA.mod file you will have to add yourself or I can send it in a seprate Zip file. Hotmail really limits the size of the file I can send.

Now you have two options:
1 I can reduce the texture size for the first RCA I sent to you. This allow allow them to fit in one zip file and be ready to be used by the same instructions as above.
2 Covert the Jpegs by using MSPaint (comes with windows) back to BMP files. You just open the file and tell it to save as and use the lower box to select the file type.

after that it will work as the same as the directions above.

Background Willam Decker created his textures in 1024 DPI (dots per inch) probably because this gives you allot of detail. Other sizes available and easily switched to are 512 and 256 (Taldrens game texture size) but the small the DPI the less Detail will be there. The same thing goes with the Jpegs verse BMP files less details in the Jpegs and they are become smaller files. I coverted them to Jpegs because it is faster to do that reducing the DPIs' of each Texture. The reason you have to conver them back is when he applied the texture to the model he did them as BMPfiles so the model is looking for name.bmp not name.jpg this means the textures will not be seen by the model and you get a all white Ship in the game.

So at this point I can re-send the RCA2 and LCA files, All you have to do to make them work is add the FCA.mod file into their directories and add them to the game.

I can reduce the DPI of the textures on the first RCA I made and send them to you. Then you will have to add the mod file as well as enter them into the game. This is probably the easiest thing for you to do, as I currently can not send the larger files to you (1024 DPI textures are out of the question). The difference in quality are huge as each reduction is ruffly half the details of the larger file but about 1/4 (3,145K for 1024 vs 786K for 512) of the size.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain Ron »

Kaenyne

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2003, 12:05:42 pm »
Alright! Thank you, Capatain Ron!

You're a huge help.

I really appreciate your asisstance!

I won't be able to try out your instruction until this evening but the first set (the 6 steps way) look like a piece of cake.

The lightmaps portion: are you talking about the RCA2 and LCA? (BTW, thanks for those guys too!) Do the first two Romulanized ships you sent have these lightmaps?

Kaenyne

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2003, 12:09:32 pm »
Shoulda checked my email before I wrote you back.

Have you sent a total of four models to my yahoo address?

If so, I didn't get the next two. I definately got the two Romulanized Constitutions.

Sorry 'bout that.

Captain Ron

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2003, 12:20:32 pm »
Like I said it is no problem to resend the RCA2 and the LCA, their zips are now ready to go. You just have to add the mod file to them.

But they will have to wait until I get home some time tonight as I live in CA this could be quite late for you.

The orginal RCA is the choice I can reduce the files and send them or you can conver the Jpg files to BMP. Let me know which you would prefer to do.

Kaenyne

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2003, 12:44:10 pm »
I think I'll try my hand at coverting jpegs to bmps as that sounds like the easiest thing to do.

And that way texture size won't have to be reduced?

Thanks!

Can't wait to see 'em!

BTW, I'd like to return the favor somehow.

Are there any models you've been looking for? Or other things like weapons textures, planets, etc.?