Topic: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?  (Read 20412 times)

Lieutenant_Q

Re: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2003, 12:43:07 pm »
It wouldnt surprise me if, like most software companies, Activision cut several of their QA people to save money.  I have been playing EA sports NCAA Football 2003, and while EA has been a bit lacking in the Customer Service department before, I rarely have ever noticed any serious bugs in either their PC or their console games, but the game has a number of bugs, a couple of which could have been spotted if someone had tried. (one i dont think would have been caught but who would expect a fumble returned for a TD being called back for a 5-yd facemask (gave me the TD but gave them the PAT attempt, so that game ended with a final of 48-1))

Just give them time, and thank the powers that be that we are on a PC and not an unpatchable console.

Oh yeah, i also cruised through the SP campaigns, and only encountered one major bug, and all that I needed to do was reload from the saved game and play the mission again to get around it.  I have seen the stuck in loading bug, but I upgraded to DX9, and I havent seen it since.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lieutenant_Q »

Toasty0

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2003, 12:50:32 pm »
Quote:

Had to laugh at daves post (prick lol) but i like many ppl have a thing called patients!  

Huh, did I miss something? Did Dave finally pop a cork? OMG, he is human afterall.    

matyoung

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2003, 11:11:38 am »
Hey we,re only human (last time i looked )  

TheSatyr

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2003, 12:48:43 pm »
Dave is just acting like an actual human being. *laffin*  

DarkMaster

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2003, 03:05:03 pm »
Contrary to what you may believe, I do have patience also.  I just happen to think that in this case it is legitimate to feel that this process is taking WAY too long.

It just seems to me that patches for Taldren's games take MUCH longer than patches for games produced by some other *COUGH**BLIZZARD**COUGH** companies' games.

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2003, 03:07:44 pm »
How many times does it need to be said Taldren finished the patch but as the game is published by someone else it has to go through them basicaly for legal reasons. I beleive I already said thanks for finishing the patch, hurry the hell up Activision! lol

NCC2012

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2003, 04:02:26 pm »
Quote:

Had to laugh at daves post (prick lol) but i like many ppl have a thing called patients!  

People have patients?? Good lord!  I didn't think everyone here was a physician!  

Quote:

The SFC3 patch is winding it's way through Activision QA and is now looking like it
will be released during the week of 24 February 2003.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you for the update, Dave!  

Sniper

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2003, 04:07:26 pm »
Doesn't it go back and forth? I think I read somewhere that activision Q&A's it and if they find something wrong they send it to Taldren to fix it, than they fix it and send it to activision again and if activision finds a new bug then it goes back again and .... you get the picture, not a very efficient way to work but thorough

Bob Graham

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2003, 12:04:35 am »
Quote:

Contrary to what you may believe, I do have patience also.  I just happen to think that in this case it is legitimate to feel that this process is taking WAY too long.

It just seems to me that patches for Taldren's games take MUCH longer than patches for games produced by some other *COUGH**BLIZZARD**COUGH** companies' games.  

If your using Windows XP, open up your Add/Remove Programs, then compare the MB that SFC3 uses compared to your other games.  That could be part of the reason it takes longer.  

If thats not enough for you, I dont remember the exact quote or who at Taldren said it, but it was something to the effect that SFCs source code was HUGE.  One of them commented that when iD released the Quake II code, he looked at it and said "Thats all?"

Mavolic

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2003, 09:14:13 pm »
Quote:

Ummm..how long has  Blizzard been working on the 1.10 patch for Diablo II ?.....*cough* A YEAR  *cough*

« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 09:16:01 pm by Mavolic »

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2003, 11:50:08 pm »
ya.. and how many people do they have on the 1.10 patch team?
2 lol
only 2...
you should be thankfull that taldren has devoted a great deal of its resources on the patch, and not on black 9.

I question though... whould it really be that impossible for Taldren to develop/release its own game without activisions help?  

Mavolic

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2003, 04:18:32 am »
Quote:

ya.. and how many people do they have on the 1.10 patch team?
2 lol
only 2...
you should be thankfull that taldren has devoted a great deal of its resources on the patch, and not on black 9.    

They have two? I thought they were down to one person working on the 1.10 patch..hehe

Don't mind me, just getting my 200 post in...

Lemme see...

25 months as a registered member...

200 posts...

That adds up to nice even 8 posts a month...

Woo Hoo!...  I'm so uber...

kevlar

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2003, 07:40:03 am »
That is a bit  unfair... Diablo is a "old " game..  they made a patch two days after LOD was out,  one month and a half later they made a second patch for lod.. and 3 months after that another one. in six months they patched it out at least 3 times -and one of those patches added considerable content (1.09), not counting several server fixes.
Altough they haven't spit the now mythical 1.10 ( and I believe they never will), blizzard still  beat activision by far when it comes to patching speed and number.

And, IMHO,  blizzard products still set the standard in terms of game stopping bugs . They can be hacked and unbalanced, but still I think i never had more than 25 crashes in 2.5 years playing online diablo. (and maybe only 2 or 3 while playing offline) and I never ever found a real  game stoping bug on that tittle.  

DarkMaster

Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2003, 02:26:52 pm »
We know you guys have had the patch for over a week now...why hasn't it been released?

We know you guys read these forums and will see this.  We've waited long enough.  I think I've sat with a half-playable game for long enough.   Please release the patch, or tell us what the delay is.

jkbond

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2003, 02:32:48 pm »
I am really hoping the patch is released. If and when it is released there will be hundreds of grateful players  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2003, 03:18:18 pm »
Taking the patch from Taldren and siting on it or working on it or whatever, but not telling anyone anything about why or what you're doing is a real big PR mistake. Imagine all the people who bought this game who know nothing about this forum, who are all going... "WTF is with this broke ass game?" and will never buy another SFC game, and possibly another Activision game.

Activision: Don't drive people away from your business to go play on X-Box...

TELL US SOMETHING!

Captain KoraH

ChamadaIV

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2003, 04:17:56 pm »
You'd be amazed at how much evil influence has hung over the game industry since the arrival of X-Box. Activision may be one of Microsoft's latest victims in this rat race we call "big business." Or maybe X-Box has nothing to do with it and the world's first independent gaming company (Activison) has more important business priorities to handle...  

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ChamadaIV »

David Ferrell

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2003, 04:20:04 pm »
No one is sitting on the patch.  It is currently winding it's way through Activision QA.

Thanks,

Dave  

cherokee158

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »
What, exactly, goes on in Activision's QA, anyway? I am alternately plagued by visions of guys in suits eating donuts and spinning a bottle on a large oak conference table in an effort to determine who will sign off on the patch and visions of black t-shirted geeks on an LAN playing the new game with absolutely no idea what day of the week it is or, indeed, even which month.

Am I close?  

Hale

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2003, 04:39:26 pm »
Cut the QA guys at Activision some slack.  If they miss something, or if something that currently works is broken,  we will be the first ones complaining here about how crappy the patch is.  If it takes them an extra week to get it right, so be it.