Topic: Bored Again  (Read 15073 times)

Smiley

Bored Again
« on: October 16, 2003, 10:26:49 pm »
Got a bit bored of doing the textures for the Andor, so had a go at something else for a wee break.....

Look familiar Azel?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Smiley »

Azel

Re: Bored Again
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 11:05:55 pm »
you never cease to amaze me man!!!
awesome!!!

Kaenyne

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 07:57:38 am »
I have no idea why this guy considers himself an amateur. Just look at that detailing!

Smiley

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 09:42:05 am »
hehe, thanks.....Well, sometimes I have good days

Steelviper33

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 09:48:22 am »
How do you do this?!?

dude, you should make a video tutorial on how you make textures, it would really help alot of us out.

MarianoDT

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 12:20:50 pm »
Quote:

How do you do this?!?

dude, you should make a video tutorial on how you make textures, it would really help alot of us out.  

I second that, even a writen tutorial would be great. I find very difficult to make a texture from scratch.
I īve tried using some renders from the differents parts of the ship I wanted to make and then modify/detail this files, but there must be a better way...!!!!

Please...

Even if you are tired of reading this ALL the time let me tell you that    YOUR WORK IS AWESOME...!!!!!  

Thanks,

Mariano

Azel

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 08:59:39 am »
BTW guys teh ship is my Tempest-Class, USS Xavier...as more pics become available you will see why  

Steelviper33

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 12:35:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

How do you do this?!?

I second that, even a writen tutorial would be great. I find very difficult to make a texture from scratch.
I īve tried using some renders from the differents parts of the ship I wanted to make and then modify/detail this files, but there must be a better way...!!!!

Please...

Even if you are tired of reading this ALL the time let me tell you that    YOUR WORK IS AWESOME...!!!!!  

Thanks,

Mariano

Bump...smiley, and chance of doing a vid-tutorial?

sandman69247

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 12:49:18 pm »
TUTORIAL, TUTORIAL, TUTORIAL!!!! You must do a tut for us lowly peons...please!! I still try to figure out what you did on my Cherokee, and think "Man! I'd give my left nut to texture that good!" If not a video tut, then at least a written one...hell, do it up in html and I'll put it up at my site. Only needs to be one aspect...probably the saucer. Most of what would need to be learned for the whole ship can be taught on the saucer.

PRETTY PLEASE WITH G'AGH ON TOP!?!

Smiley

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 04:47:23 pm »
Hi all

Quote:

BTW guys teh ship is my Tempest-Class, USS Xavier...as more pics become available you will see why

Damn, I didn't know what you wanted it to be called so I put "USS Tempest" all over her shiny hull, lol, oh well - thaat I can change!

Quote:

TUTORIAL, TUTORIAL, TUTORIAL!!!!  You must do a tut for us lowly peons...please!! I still try to figure out what you did on my Cherokee, and think "Man! I'd give my left nut to texture that good!"   If not a video tut, then at least a written one...hell, do it up in html and I'll put it up at my site. Only needs to be one aspect...probably the saucer. Most of what would need to be learned for the whole ship can be taught on the saucer.

PRETTY PLEASE WITH G'AGH ON TOP!?!

Quote:

Hmm, a video tutorial isn't really practical as I texture in a very sporadic fashion, and although you would definitely see exactly how I did something, sometimes it's more luck than judgement!
However I can definitely do an illustrated written tutorial, maybe even with some sample files and stuff if that would be of any use to you guys.

Quote:

Even if you are tired of reading this ALL the time let me tell you that YOUR WORK IS AWESOME...!!!!!

:Big griin: Hehe thankyou very much!

I only got two hours sleep last night and I had work all day today, and work all day tomorrow too, so I won't be doing much tonight.

I_Mudd

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 05:42:14 pm »

Quote:

... only got two hours sleep last night and I had work all day today, and work all day tomorrow too, so I won't be doing much tonight.

heh ...

I know that feeling all too well.

I_Mudd.

Azel

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 07:33:32 pm »

Quote:

Hi all

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, I didn't know what you wanted it to be called so I put "USS Tempest" all over her shiny hull, lol, oh well - thaat I can change!

No Don't...Its cool
She will be the prototype  

Steelviper33

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2003, 09:09:48 am »
Bump in hopes of Smiley writing that tutorial, im quaking in my chair as we speak.

Azel

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2003, 10:22:13 pm »
Still Looking Good  

Smiley

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 10:26:04 am »
Quote:

Bump in hopes of Smiley writing that tutorial, im quaking in my chair as we speak.  

lol, give me a chance

Smiley

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 02:46:49 pm »

Kaenyne

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 02:51:29 pm »
Smiley:

You've got a masterwork there, man.

I want you and Azel making ships for the next Trek movie.

Berman, are you reading this?

Azel

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 05:03:31 pm »

Quote:

Smiley:

Thanks Man!!!
That means alot man...I am sure that it does for Smiley aswell
As for Berman...well as much as I would LOVE to work for Star Trek designing ships(And of course working with Smiley on them ), I have never gotten a response to my queries other than,"Your work is good, but Sorry we are a full house now, and are not looking for anyone new.", or they want schooling in the Arts...as for me I  study the sciences, and  am too far along in the sciences to go an start over now(silly me...I thought that it would be better to go to school to learn something that can be acually weighed with grades...Art to me is just too arbortrary and cannot be a graded aspect of life)

But thanks man

Smiley

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 08:19:45 pm »
Thankyou Kaenyne, it's a pleasure to work with Azel

One more pic before bed...

James Formo

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 03:02:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Smiley:

Thanks Man!!!
That means alot man...I am sure that it does for Smiley aswell
As for Berman...well as much as I would LOVE to work for Star Trek designing ships(And of course working with Smiley on them ), I have never gotten a response to my queries other than,"Your work is good, but Sorry we are a full house now, and are not looking for anyone new.", or they want schooling in the Arts...as for me I  study the sciences, and  am too far along in the sciences to go an start over now(silly me...I thought that it would be better to go to school to learn something that can be acually weighed with grades...Art to me is just too arbortrary and cannot be a graded aspect of life)

But thanks man

The thing is. Game companies have requirements and restrictions regarding poly counts. ie: SFC3 had a 1000 poligon limit per model with exception of the Borg cube (1500). They also limit the size and number of bitmaps.  Modelers in the forum ships look better largely because they are higher poly and use multiple bitmaps. This may be partly why they are suggesting schooling where you would learn how to make lower poly models. Plus if they have other modelers and they all have met school requirements, it would then be odd for them to hire someone without them. Not too mention that it would be easier to communicate with modelers using max if you are familiar with all operations and terminology max uses.

Your stating that you are going to school for science also implies that that is more important to you.  If you are serious about a career in 3d you might want to consider formal training in the software that gamers are using. It might be only a 1 year program that is necessary, which perhaps you could squeeze in between your other courses.