Topic: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.  (Read 16864 times)

anduril

Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.
« on: November 15, 2003, 09:59:42 am »
One of my fav's from back in the day.

The Federation CVA.

I wanted to keep this one to 3200 or less and I'm close to that but I'd like to cut in a couple torp launchers and possibly the fighter bay doors.  So it will be decision time this weekend.  After Atrahasis came out with his smooth decked ncl and nca I of course had to spend a few polies and make the long spine of this ship match!  A lot of the hull is one piece so that cost me a few faces but I like em that way as it may save me a texture sheet which will more than pay for a face or two.

Of course the SCS will follow.

And....just to whet your appetite.  Dispatches have been intercepted that have indicated that another independant shipyard is making a competing CVA design....

Well not so independant as one might think.

sandman69247

Re: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 10:39:36 am »
Another master work from a master...Thank you for this!!  

Terradyhne

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 10:46:07 am »
great work of an modeling master, as always, i like all of your models  

Fire Blade

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 11:01:54 am »
Great to see you back Anduril looking forward as always to your work  

Rogue

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 11:43:01 am »
As always, happy to see a WIP posted by one of the starship model crafters that has given so much to the community. Need I even say this looks good?

Status report for the SFC community.

-Wicked Zombie; never left and went on a streak of some really fun new models.
-Atrahasis; returns with a vengence! Polishes up his fleet and having fun with new stuff.
-Dark Drone; comes home and sparks the GAW project!
-Hollis J Wood; Who woulda thunk? Glad to see this man again
-Thu11s; returns from extended holiday!
-111wallace111; annonces a new homepage!
-Anduril; see preceeding posts. Great modeler and yer basic good guy.
-New people doing amazing stuff. FireSouls OP+ project, Desty Nova, I Mudd, Smiley...

Did I miss anyone? Likey... excuse please.

Just how good is this? I would guess that we couldn't hope for much better.

PS. Klingon Fanatic still hoping for his Melak.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rogue »

CptSavage

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 11:55:19 am »
I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 11:56:18 am »
Outstanding! One of my favorites too, unsurprisingly....

Those Warps are really nice looking, Anduril.

Atrahasis

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 12:01:18 pm »
Excellent! I'd be proud to use this in my fleet.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 12:04:59 pm »
Quote:

As always, happy to see a WIP posted by one of the starship model crafters that has given so much to the community. Need I even say this looks good?

Status report for the SFC community.

-Wicked Zombie; never left and went on a streak of some really fun new models.
-Atrahasis; returns with a vengence! Polishes up his fleet and having fun with new stuff.
-Dark Drone; comes home and sparks the GAW project!
-Hollis J Wood; Who woulda thunk? Glad to see this man again
-Thu11s; returns from extended holiday!
-111wallace111; annonces a new homepage!
-Anduril; see preceeding posts. Great modeler and yer basic good guy.
-New people doing amazing stuff. FireSouls OP+ project, Desty Nova, I Mudd, Smiley...

Did I miss anyone? Likey... excuse please.

Just how good is this? I would guess that we couldn't hope for much better.

PS. Klingon Fanatic still hoping for his Melak.  

If the SFC Community were on the stock exchange, I would buy - certainly it is trending up...  

anduril

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 01:19:49 pm »
Thanks all.

A it's a testament to your 3 year old ship and it's longevity that it's taken me this long to make a version of my own!

I'll just edit this post to add a pic of a very subtle tos paneling effect I'm putting on my saucers now.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by anduril »

TheStressPuppy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 03:09:11 pm »
Sweet work! Ive been working on a phase 2 varient of that ship (still havnt decided on a nacelle pylon config yet) im gonna need to change the registry on it i got it as ark royal ncc-2203. i dont have a source for carrier names. awsome work.

Yes it does seem like the "Old School" is returning.. now all we need is moonraker  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 03:26:32 pm »
Bitchin hull texture dude...

Way...

Atrahasis

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 03:26:34 pm »
Quote:

Thanks all.

A it's a testament to your 3 year old ship and it's longevity that it's taken me this long to make a version of my own!

I'll just edit this post to add a pic of a very subtle tos paneling effect I'm putting on my saucers now.

A, I like the TOS registry style, but for this ship you may (I'm not recommending it per se but throwing a suggestion out) want to use the TMP-style-font because even the SFB material / art portrays the more advanced ships with that type of font. Or you can do both and see how it looks. Either way it'll be awesome.  

PS You spelled "caesar" wrong! :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

anduril

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 03:29:53 pm »
Not a bad suggestion A.

I'm already considering using the TMP symbols for the hull pennant and changing the bridge dome to the Phase 2 one anyways.
You know I had it right the first time then I looked at a shiplist someone posted with the feddies on it and then changed it....

Got burned.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by anduril »

Atrahasis

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 03:34:50 pm »
Quote:

Not a bad suggestion A.

I'm already considering using the TMP symbols for the hull pennant and changing the bridge dome to the Phase 2 one anyways.
You know I had it right the first time then I looked at a shiplist someone posted with the feddies on it and then changed it....

Got burned.

Those are good ideas too. Was it an oversight on Franz's part that his design for the DN did not have the bridge turbolift shafts? A ship that big, as well as the carrier here, need at least two shafts.

If you give it the TMP pennants and fonts, it would fit more into my theory that the TOS-style was an entire design philosphophy that existed right alongside the TMP design philosophy, and that the two styles were not just "old" vs "new".  

Also, another thing I've been thinking of re the TOS-style deflector dishes, is that in the middle you have a ring of "blue glowie" similar to the way they did it with the def dish on the Galaxy. It would indicate an advanced design and yet still retain that TOS flavor. What do ya think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2003, 03:53:49 pm »

Quote:

Not a bad suggestion A.

Yea that would look sharp. maybe do the class prototype "Napolean" in TOS and the "Caesar" TMP as above...

Quote:

Got burned.

Im using the latest Chris Jones SFB shiplsts  as my refernces. Imported it in Excel spreadsheet along with the fighter list. Then I color coded all fed ships divided by classes. Works great!

Desty_Nova

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2003, 05:06:05 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Not a bad suggestion A.

Got burned.

Those are good ideas too. Was it an oversight on Franz's part that his design for the DN did not have the bridge turbolift shafts? A ship that big, as well as the carrier here, need at least two shafts.

If you give it the TMP pennants and fonts, it would fit more into my theory that the TOS-style was an entire design philosphophy that existed right alongside the TMP design philosophy, and that the two styles were not just "old" vs "new".  

Also, another thing I've been thinking of re the TOS-style deflector dishes, is that in the middle you have a ring of "blue glowie" similar to the way they did it with the def dish on the Galaxy. It would indicate an advanced design and yet still retain that TOS flavor. What do ya think?

Atra, on the Federation class Dreadnought, the bridge is embedded in the middle of the saucer, where it can't be easily hit. The structure on the top is another navigation dome similar to the one on the bottom of the CA's saucer. Hence no turbolift shaft.

Hey Anduril, you gonna make fighters to go with this? I'd really love to see F-14's and A-20's!   Ooh, you could do a SCS (since this is the Julius Caesar) and make a version with F-111's on mechlinks!  

Rogue

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2003, 05:23:05 pm »
This question never occured to me before... Since most Federation ships have that largish glowing (window?) in each quandrant of the saucer... what are those?

And needless to say, that is shaping up to be a fabulous looking CVA.  

TheStressPuppy

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2003, 06:12:29 pm »
I belive those are early sensor arrays not windows. I know thier placement doesnt make any sense. then again lots of things on TOS ships didnt make sense Still we put em on to retain the "classic" look of the TOS era ships  

Desty_Nova

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2003, 06:29:45 pm »
Gotta love that classic TOS look though!