Topic: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.  (Read 16698 times)

Lord Schtupp

Re: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2003, 12:50:13 pm »
Quote:

Ideas?

Maybe a little more built up in the center like the phase 2 Ent as depicted in the "comic book" ads. Also a cool dish is the "dish gun" that the Rebels had on Hoth defending the trenches. The dish part was built up nicely on that.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lord Schtupp »

Rogue

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2003, 05:11:21 pm »
Sure, that will work for the traditional hanging dish. I have no doubt you will get the right color ballance for it.

How about this for an off beat idea... Since some have a problem with the aestheticly challenged hanging dish, how about this for a varient... take the lower sensor dome and replace it with equal diameter tube with that same dome at the end. Then describe a forward facing parabolic, that is reduced in heigth, so that the tube would not need to be long to accomodate it. Walla, a deflector dish and a sensor dome in one without that odd looking lower dish. I would kind of like to see if it might be a visualy interesting alternative. Just an idea.  

DestinyCalling

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2003, 05:55:54 pm »
Hey Lord Schtupp.. any progress to report on those WIP's on yonder page (Hermes and Antares)... They've been WIP's for a year now... Not like I'm bugging but just how much drool do you think I have!!!!  

anduril

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2003, 07:46:40 pm »
Took a look at the blooper poster and added the cone sticking out in the center.  I must have saved the render at a lower quality as it's a bit grainy.

Atrahasis

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2003, 02:14:52 am »
Imo, the radiating glowy spikes just don't seem right. I was thinking basically a TMP-Enterprise-style glowing deflector, but smack dab in the middle of the dish, about half the diameter I would say. "Gridding" it would be the copper lines of the dish. That way you have more or less a direct hybrid of the TOS and TMP style defelctors.

Either that, or add a glowing ring with a radius of 1/2 the dish, and add a small glowing center, like the Galaxy-class deflector.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2003, 04:47:33 am »
If you go for a hybrid dish with no center antenna a'la Atra then thatd be cool, but I think that you would have to build a small instrumention pod behind it to make it really look right, this assemby being mounted on a short swept-forward pylon. I would save this for a  Phase2 type upgrade however, as this would alter the profile of the carrier too much from the original design that you have obviously taken great care to adhere to.

My idea for this problem is to build a conventional TOS dish with center antenna but do a small ring of glow at about 1/2 radius out, with many fine radiating lines inside this ring kinda like a turbine engine. Perhaps use an orange Phase2 type of glow instead of blue.

I agree with Atra regarding the spokes not looking quite right but if you used orange instaed of blu then i think that would look better.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2003, 04:53:45 am »
Quote:

Hey Lord Schtupp.. any progress to report on those WIP's on yonder page (Hermes and Antares)... They've been WIP's for a year now... Not like I'm bugging but just how much drool do you think I have!!!!  

Work on all WIPS has been resumed, negotiations with striking shipyard workers for improved working conditions were successful.    

Atrahasis

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2003, 06:03:39 am »
Quote:

My idea for this problem is to build a conventional TOS dish with center antenna but do a small ring of glow at about 1/2 radius out, with many fine radiating lines inside this ring kinda like a turbine engine. Perhaps use an orange Phase2 type of glow instead of blue.

That's exactly what I was getting at, you read my mind!

anduril

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2003, 08:18:43 am »
You guys are killing me.

I'm just a simple beer drinking harley ridin man.

But I decided last night after that last post I didn't like the blue and was going back to a tos style so here's a quickie 20 minute unrefined job I just did.  I may add some smaller cut outs between the lines already there.

Kaenyne

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2003, 08:38:45 am »
Well, it may be a quickie, but it looks good!

Rogue

« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2003, 11:56:49 am »
Sorry, don't pay us no mind but thanks for asking for opinions. That version of the dish looks right. However make it so your are happy with it. Your'e not known for making many bad calls so the final version will be an instant classic as we all know already. Granted, I am not a fan of the hanging deflector dish but I will fly that CVA and be very happy to add it to the model folder.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2003, 12:21:33 pm »
Quote:

This has the makings of a great country-western song, if there is such a thing lol...

New dish looks better, I like the orange better too.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2003, 01:49:09 pm »
Quote:

That's exactly what I was getting at, you read my mind!  

Ahh I see- I thought you meant no antenna; just basically a smaller tmp style sensor set into a TOS  dish which is why i thought your idea would need a small pod behind it - my mistake  

Desty_Nova

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2003, 08:39:07 pm »
Quote:

You guys are killing me.

But I decided last night after that last post I didn't like the blue and was going back to a tos style so here's a quickie 20 minute unrefined job I just did.  I may add some smaller cut outs between the lines already there.

Just do it classic style, Anduril! I like the cheesy hanging dishes the way they are!  

Atrahasis

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2003, 09:03:03 am »
Quote:

You guys are killing me.

Dat's the ticket, laddie! But did the blue look bad or something?

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2003, 12:11:27 pm »
No, its not that the blu looked bad, just that the orange looks a little more TOSish Makes sense too, as orange is lower on the energy spectrum thus implying lower power/older tech.

Isnt there a canon precedent for an orange dish or just where did that come from anyway???

anduril

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2003, 02:00:54 pm »

Tos or tmp style?

Kaenyne

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2003, 02:05:18 pm »
I vote for TOS.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2003, 02:33:44 pm »
Geez hard choice - the TMP reg looks really awesome; If you intend to do a plus or upgradied version in the future I suggest the TOS markings here and tmp for the plus version...

Rhaz

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2003, 02:34:52 pm »
I vote for TOS too!